• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Natchiketa - Ecounter with Yema

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dear Uncle

Nachiketas wanted to know life after death, which is totally a secret. But because of three days stay at the outdoors of Yemapuri, yema was willing to give him 3 boons. So, as the third boon, he asked about this. But till today the secret has not been opened as clear-cut, though he came down and spread that.

Pranams

I think few more characters had some link with Yama.Yudhistra Markandeya Savithri. In the near- past I think Ramana also had experienced Death while in Madurai before going to Thiruvanamalai. Correct?:crazy:

Yes absolutely, but savithri has not asked anything for society. She needs her husband back, that was the only motto of her. Whereas Yudhistra and Vidhura themselves are the avatar of shri Yama. Markandeya met yama but not even talked to him, since infromt of him Shri mahadeva hitted yama with his left leg.

So the only guy who talked with yama for the societal sake is sage nachiketas, am I right uncle??? Might be in that small age, he is totally free of any bondings or other things as we see in the case of savithri devi.

Pranams

I think Ramana never met Yama but had a feel of death is that correct? Jambu :crazy:
From what I have read Ramana was not good at studies and used to bully other students. On both these counts he used to get punishment from his guardian (elder brother, I think). Once he got very ill and his condition was very critical at one point. He recovered from the illness but the fear of imminent death which he had some experience during that illness made him constatntly think about life and death, and ultimately the question, "Who is this "I" who lives and then dies?".

On the next occasion he was reprimanded by his guardian, he left home, sat in a solitary corner of a nearby temple and meditated on this question for days. His people started searching for him. Ultimately, when they found him, he had changed to a yogi.

There is another character seems to be connected with Yama, Ajamila. Here unlike Markandeya's story Vishnu seems to be the savior. Even today death seems to be an enigma Two days back a patient was pronounced dead in a corporate hospital.The relatives had all the arrangements for his funeral ready. One of the cousins of the "Dead" noticed some slight movements in the fingers and they rushed him to Government hospital where he was brought back to life! (News in Papers 2 days Back) Jambu:deadhorse:

Yes absolutely, but savithri has not asked anything for society. She needs her husband back, that was the only motto of her. Whereas Yudhistra and Vidhura themselves are the avatar of shri Yama. Markandeya met yama but not even talked to him, since infromt of him Shri mahadeva hitted yama with his left leg.

So the only guy who talked with yama for the societal sake is sage nachiketas, am I right uncle??? Might be in that small age, he is totally free of any bondings or other things as we see in the case of savithri devi.

Pranams

Durga,

I am just imagining what will happen today. Will anybody's wife fight with Yama Dharma Raaja for her husband like Savithri?

Just imagine and make your own conclusions

All the best

Durga,

I am just imagining what will happen today. Will anybody's wife fight with Yama Dharma Raaja for her husband like Savithri?

Just imagine and make your own conclusions

All the best

i fought and pleaded with yama dharma raja and saved my wife's life.instead of thanking me like sathyavan,my wife asked me why i saved her life from the jaws of death?So,i have become mandi nandi now aka 'bull' :)

I think even Ajamila has not met Yema. He just saw the yema kinkaras and himself fainted in the dead time. In the fear, he called his last son, "Narayana". Immediately shri vishnu dhoothas came there and take him to vaikunta. This story of ajamila says us atleast during the death we should call "god". But it never happens if its not practised when we are hale and healthy. So only it is insisted in our customs to keep names of gods for children. In older days, the names like Abhishek, Archana, Aarthi are all mostly uncommon. Because, they were more keen in keeping the names of gods. But now its turned to be a fashion.

Coming to Ramana, yes. I too think that he has not seen Yema. He just wanted to know what is the nature of athma, where it actually resides in the body. He was so curious to know about his innerside. Thats all. Nowhere he mentioned that he met yema or anyother demi-gods.

Coming to Savithri, uncle, She knows already very well that sathyvan will die after one year of her marriage. Till that one year she completely did pooja for devi kamakshi. Also, in today's society and trend I think even the "Karadayan nonbu" itself was not celebrated my many ladies as they are busy with their parties and shoppings. Am not balming all or pointing everyone. But the number is getting reduced is the fact. If it is so, we cannot expect anything more like what savithri did.

One main fact is before enquiring the ladies about savithri, we all should think whether we are like the sathyavan. (who lived as per his name- he lived in the path of truth). After giving life to sathyavan, yema said to savithri that because of his Punyabala and good deeds only he got you as his wife. It means he stood in the path of truth. Also he care that much for his blind father and mother. Are we living like that??? Here also am not blaming all. But again the number of good children is getting reduced. The children of parents will go abroad, settled there. In tamil there is a proverb, "Settha anniku vaa na patthu anniku vara" (If I asked you to come for the death ceremony, you are coming for the tenth day ceremony). Our this generation children are good examples for this. I just dont want to go in detail regarding this as it will hit the privacy too.

Pranams

The children of parents will go abroad, settled there. In tamil there is a proverb, "Settha anniku vaa na patthu anniku vara" (If I asked you to come for the death ceremony, you are coming for the tenth day ceremony). Our this generation children are good examples for this. I just dont want to go in detail regarding this as it will hit the privacy too.

Pranams

dd

this particular passage from your post,triggerred off some latent memories of mine from the past.when i started dabbling in jyotisham,i found that,i have a sanyasa yogam.wen i told this to my parents,my father was so furious and my mother was dreading,whats got into me!In real life too,only for my father,i was able to perform the last rites and then my fathers older brother took in charge,with my mothers case,neither the death day nor the 10th day,i could go to India.The only consolation is,my mother breathed her last breath,exactly on my janma nakshatram on that month,as if my spiritual guru was telling me,the athma has reached you where you stay,and do the nithya karmas required by you,and by gods grace the Adi_parashakthi temple sivacharyas,came and did all he death ceremony rituals,for athma thripthi as pithru karyam.my wife is my best consoler,who participated in all these karmas for 16 months and 16 days as per our family traditions.only becoz of spiritual gurus and elders this was possible.

my point is,when athma leaves the body,its a shavam,that needs to be taken care off,either by burning in a pyre or burying in ground,as the custom maybe.

Sorry to hear uncle. Anyhow I too heard similar histories when my mom said to me like this proverb is not a joke. When we are behind the money, we have to bear certain losses like this which we cannot be replaced at all. Orelse the children who settled in abroad should also take their parents too with them. Ofcourse are they not a part of their family?? (Many of the children considers He/She, their spouse and children alone consists a family of their own). What to do???

Pranams

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back