• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Movie Madness

Status
Not open for further replies.

kunjuppu

folks,

Thanks to the sril lankan cousins, we get tamil hindi DVDs almost immediately as they do in india. I thought of starting this thread, more as an outlet for me to comment on my latest addiction – kollywood bollywood.

I used to be like nagesh’ sisters in kathalikka neramillai during my teens. Only English movies and that too about 100 of them a year during my college period. Then lost interest in movies completely 38 years and recently picked it up again, more with a view to bonding and sharing time with mrs K.

Surprisingly found the quality of k & b wood movies have gone up in quality and technical prowess. Subtlety and understatement have become more the norm than exception. There are a variety of actors and new faces all around regularly. Mainly due to cut throat competition for roles, I think.

So here goes…

Nala Dhamayanthi

Geethu Mohandas

Lead female actor in nala dhamayanthi which I saw recently. I was very impressed by her role as a sri lankan catholic tamil brought up & living in Melbourne Australia, and living in the margins of the society ie managing a convenience store. These are minimum wage or employee owned, long hours, open 7 x 24 and just subsistence living.

Her home looks magnificient by Indian standards, but Melbourne is a low cost town, and housing prices are affordable I believe. Raghy can verify. Sri lankan tamils take on huge mortgages in Toronto to live in comfortable homes, I am told. Same as Indian. So the realism here is ok.

Kamal hassan wanted a south indian (dravidian? Dark?)looking female actor, preferably brought up in the west. He wanted authenticity re carriage and carriage. I can relate to it. Indian women, whether sari or salwar clad, with slippers – the mode of walk and carriage is quite different from their western sisters, who skirted or panted, with shoes have a stride and aggressivenss, without the charm or feminity of our women. I am throughly prejudiced here, I think, sort of.

Kamal searched australia and canada, among indian and sri lankans and could not find a suitable candidate. Meanwhile he had seen and heard of geethu, who though kerala born, was brought up in canada. Geethu was also formidable malayalam start in her own right, and so could blend the east west aspects as required in the movie.

Madhavan plays an authentic palaghat cook simpleton 100%. In my earlier life in india, I have come across scores of such guys – smart but not exactly ambitious or curious about the world, or a burning desire to move up the economic ladder. Also, very contented and cheerful guys with little complaints on life.

Again there is an inter religious element here. Maddy converts to a catholic to marry dhamyanthi, a visa scam. This is a weak link. One, if damyanthi is such an ardent catholic, she would no way agree to a scam church wedding, for the simple reason, the catholic church still frowns on divorce. Second, for the visa scams, the easiest path is the registrar’s office. Registration is a must in all western countries and there was no need for the conversion. I suppose it is meant by kamal to add some pathos in the movie?

The ending is satisfying and we see dhamayanthi laying down palghat roots. First time in a movie, I have seen a brahmin environment adopt a NB, even though in this case madhavan is an orphan. Maybe it is meant to show, that without relatives, one is more willing to open one’s minds?

One song haunts me always. ‘enna idhu enna idhu ennai kolvadhu’ sung by chinmayee (her voice simply grows in you over time) and the music director ramesh vinayagam. He is one of the most underrated MDs in kollywood and inspite of top notch music album in this movie, he did not get a repeat from this director. Don’t know why his career has stalled.

All in all, a very enjoyable movie, with good acting by madhu & geethu. very good chemistry there. geethu did not get another chance in tamil movies since 2004 when this movie was made. she now is preparing to direct in malayalam movies and continue acting.

The villain xavier britto, the only authentic australian tamil sri lankan, was a bit weak and not convincing.

Hope you to get to enjoy too.

reply to yamaka re sancharram

yamaka said
1. K:

Yes.. I saw Sancharram.. The Journey.. I liked it.. I wanted to know more: what happened to Kiran and Delilah when they reached mid 20s - the full age to understand and appreciate love & romance, and differentiate with the transient attractions of adolescents (of homo or heterosexuality)!

Young adolescents may or may not know the full thrust and energy of their inner soul.

The rural India is depicted well.. going to the "crisis mode" - that could happen even when Rajan (Kiran's brother, which was not quite clear to me!) gets the nod of Delilah! - conflicts of Hindu Nairs and Christians!

Too bad that it was not screened in India - Oh India, when will you grow up? To see the 360 degree of human feelings and needs!

regards

Y

Dear yamaka,
I am happy that you liked sancharram. Your queries triggered so many thoughts. One always wonders ‘what happens later’ don’t they?

I can only imagine that kiran moves on to Mumbai and with the help of her uncle, gets a job, and also earns a name as a poet. Being a nair in the movie, she comes from a matrilineal background of women at the head of the household. The nair men or the pattars whom the nair women took to ‘relationships’ were all weak men as far as these women were concerned – only there for sex. The fact is though that type of household arrangement is history now, we all do have powerful racial memories. What has been passed over a milleniuim, cannot be removed in a few generations.

Second, the concept of gay relationships during teens. The teens is as such, a difficult period for growing. In any society, deviance is difficult to handle. Even in the more sympathetic western societies, the pressure to conform re gender preference is strong. Is is indeed a rare parent who ‘automatically’ accepts a gay child. There is at least some reluctance, and is not automatically encouraged or accepted like a heterosexual relationship.
I would imagine that in Mumbai, where there is organized gay groups and clubs, kiran found a partner who is in tune with her lifestyle.

The more difficult issue may her search for a muse. For Delilah, in addition to her sexual attraction, provided the fillip for kiran’s creativity. I should only turn to the poets in the forum like raji, visa or anamika or others, as to the source of inspiration. For example in anamika’s ‘ninaivu pandhal’, I cannot it can be all imagination re a cruel lover. Somewhere there, someone has been, someone hurts and either one of them has penned a gem out of that experience.

The producer, specifically chose rural kerala, as another gay relationship between women has already been made in the movie ‘fire’ by deepa Mehta. Believe it or not, apparently suicide rate among female gays is something to be concerned about in kerala. So I was told. Since kerala is a few years ahead of the rest of the south socially and several decades ahead of rest of india, I can only imagine, such situations exists all over india. With no recourse for outlet, these gays either do suicide or do compromise.

Like what Delilah did. Though we are not 100% at the end of the movie, if Delilah really tied the knot or not. The most telling statement came from Delilah’s grandmother, who accuses her daughter of compromising her love for Delilah, by bowing to the wishes of the society, and not in the best interest of the daughter.

This from an old woman, only confirms my faith, that as we age, we tend to be more understanding and empathetic. Atleast I hope I do anyways.

Rajan, here is not kiran’s brother but friend and classmate. Rajan is a common name for both Christians and hindus. I know both. The more interesting is the elopement of sabiha, the muslim girl, with a hindu boy. She was caught by her family, but we can only imagine the horrid consequence she has to face.

What we gather, whether it be gay or hetero, society has no sympathy for discordants and deviants. That does not mean it does not exist.

Also, I agree with you, it is indeed a SHAME that this movie could not released in kerala.

finally: the character and the display of the soothesayer, at the start and ending of the movie was frightening. is there no secrets that could be hidden?

Thank you for your kind comments.

"Like what Delilah did. Though we are not 100% at the end of the movie, if Delilah really tied the knot or not. The most telling statement came from Delilah’s grandmother, who accuses her daughter of compromising her love for Delilah, by bowing to the wishes of the society, and not in the best interest of the daughter."

K:

Delilah had some serious questions about her feelings - whether it is real love for Kiran or it's just "some attraction" , whether it's good or bad, holy or unholy and whether it would go away after some time.. and so on (very natural for the teenagers), unlike Kiran who came across MORE matured for her age and was very imaginative and very poetic...

Although Grandma was understanding and compassionate, what did she DO really? She also succumbed to the pressure and participated in the wedding ceremony, anyway!

Some Reviews said that Rajan was Kiran's brother... it was not clear to me. If he was not a brother, then how Kiran could write personal letters and hand over to a "third-party" without any hesitation! It looked little odd and unbelievable to me.

My imagination is Kiran will get what she wanted - in Mumbai or Delhi or whereever... she was very sure about her feelings.

Delilah, I believe, married the guy and moved on.. without any remorse or "looking back"!

Yes,, yes.. that Palm Reader and her laughter!!

Interestingly, in my own life one Temple Josiar in Trichi, TN read my palm and predicted that I will have an IRM and will very soon fly away from the place of birth!! This happened a full 2 years before the marriage!!!

Voila.. very amazing.. these Palm Readers are! Why is it frightening to you? I thought it's very amusing to me!! lol.

Y

Yamaka,

I did not quite understand, the scenes during delilah’s marriage, when she is seen fleeing the church. Starting from the 1968 film ‘the graduate’ stopping weddings in the church appears to be a favourite filmi tool across the world. It also happened in vtv.

I think the ending could have been better, if they showed both Delilah and kiran, by themselves, boarding a train such endings are acceptable and more in tune with this story. Delilah had the feelings for kiran all along, but I think, due to the roman church, was reluctant in coming out forthright.

Also, it is easier to show same sex love between two women. They can make the movie delicate and sensitive. I live in Toronto where there is a large gay community with their own neighbourhoods et al. unless you are gay, or well disposed towards them, or atleast neutral, I think it is easy to develop homophobia.

The soothsayer in sancharram – I am scared for I do not quite take to folks predicting my future. I would like to leave that to my personal God and no one else. let life unfold as it should and I will accept it. I do not want advance notice.

Strangely enough the last 3 films I watched – sancharram, vinnai thandi varuvaya and nala damayanthi all involved catholic weddings. The Christians girls are probably the first of the females in india who, thanks to western education, got liberated. After all Anna chandy was the first female high court judge in india.

Till recently nurses all over by default were keralite Christian girls or tamil Christians or anglo Indians. How many Brahmin female nurses do we know?

Jessie in vtv, was a very liberated woman in many respects. Dad’s only hangup appears to be xtian husband, and that too appeared to relax for someone educated. Seems familiar? My father’s view of career in cinema would not have been much different from that of jessie’s dad. Jessie was assertive in many respects – she was able to save karthik’s hide in alapuzha more than once. And fended off the father’s wrath on the son being beaten up initially. I wonder how vtv would have been reviewed, if karthik had wedded Jessie in the end!

I am currently watching a bunch of akshay kumar duds. I like the guy but the films are absolute zeros.

yamaka,

couple of points: re grandma: she has very little leverage. delilah's mother tried to take advantage of the grandma's age and dependence as an excuse, but the granma would have none of it. did you notice the dumb idiotic statements of the young catholic priest?

kiran is an only child. this is evidenced right from the start when the family moved from delhi to kerala, to claim the inheritance. in the early part of the movie, rajan does get bested by the kiran.

re your experience in tiruchi: i would have had the bejeebers in such a situation, especially if i was in an ir situation. no guts here from yours truly even to pursue a tambram girl across the road.

i went to catholic schools and am familiar with their liturgy and what not. the familiarity makes them less scary for folks like me. in places like u.p. or delhi, where islame dominated, i figure the hindu folks are more attune with islamic culture and would find that less an alien than xtianity.

you too must remember, that xtians and muslims in india, are exposed daily, and probably in overwhelming dose to hindi pantheons, same as any indian get dosed to allah anywhere in the gulf or saudi arabia. such exposure makes one stronger and steadfaster to one's own traditions.

i had a buddy who went to xtian medical college in vellore, one of the few non xtians admitted. it has a strong proselytizing environment, more by good example than propaganda. believe it or not, the hindu students/staff are close knit and have weekly study groups of our faith, parallel to the protestant xtian tradition of cmc. atleast so it was in the 1970s

not too many i hear get converted here in the west either. mainstream religion lose numbers more by indifference than by conversion.

Hello:

Did you guys watch Kalainger's Poonar Shankar directed and produced by Thyagarajan?

I liked it very much - first impression -

1. An opulent production, great costumes and cinematography. Excellent attempt by the Producer to do this historical movie.

2. Some how, the Time Period was not evident, I assume it was around 900 AD -1100 AD when Cholas were reigning supreme.

3. Although the original historic novel by MK was a classic, his screen play is not that good.

4. The main characters Prashant and the new faces did not emote much emotions.. they all "looked" marvelous.

5. The minor characters did act very well.

6. Illayaraja's BGM was good, not excellent - the song tracks were not memorable- I was disappointed with Isai Gnani. I expected to match or excel AR Rahman in his Jodha Akbar!

In all worth seeing TWICE if you are for a grand historic production - see just once if you are for just some movie!

Thumps Up for Thyagarajan, all Minor Characters. Kalaignar could have done a better job in the screenplay. This was screened at the time of the TN Election. Whether this would have influenced the voters, I am not sure!

Cheers.

Bala's Avan - Ivan:

Dear ALL:

Last night I saw this new movie by ace director Bala.. A new genre for Bala who used to deal with very strong themes very seriously.

This movie treats similar themes with a Comedy: this is a social satire on so many things - religion, police, judges, corruption, greedy/evil businessman, perceptions of low-end people etc. etc.

The opening scene is with a dance with Vishal - a person with eye defects, but has a liking for arts - dance and drama. He is the good guy who can beat up the "unscrupulous" people.

The movie ends with the death of the former Zamindar and his killer burnt to death in the pyre...

Yuan has the music. Cinematography was excellent.

I watched it twice - the second time, I liked it very much as a Comedy - for a belly shacking laughter - and a Social Satire... Vishal's best action.. and Aarya as his younger brother is very good.

I will give THREE stars (3/5). Please see and write about it.

Last edited:
Geethu Mohandas

Lead female actor in nala dhamayanthi which I saw recently. I was very impressed by her role as a sri lankan catholic tamil brought up & living in Melbourne Australia, and living in the margins of the society ie managing a convenience store. These are minimum wage or employee owned, long hours, open 7 x 24 and just subsistence living.

Her home looks magnificient by Indian standards, but Melbourne is a low cost town, and housing prices are affordable I believe. Raghy can verify. Sri lankan tamils take on huge mortgages in Toronto to live in comfortable homes, I am told. Same as Indian. So the realism here is ok.

Kamal hassan wanted a south indian (dravidian? Dark?)looking female actor, preferably brought up in the west. He wanted authenticity re carriage and carriage. I can relate to it. Indian women, whether sari or salwar clad, with slippers – the mode of walk and carriage is quite different from their western sisters, who skirted or panted, with shoes have a stride and aggressivenss, without the charm or feminity of our women. I am throughly prejudiced here, I think, sort of.

Kamal searched australia and canada, among indian and sri lankans and could not find a suitable candidate. Meanwhile he had seen and heard of geethu, who though kerala born, was brought up in canada. Geethu was also formidable malayalam start in her own right, and so could blend the east west aspects as required in the movie.

Madhavan plays an authentic palaghat cook simpleton 100%. In my earlier life in india, I have come across scores of such guys – smart but not exactly ambitious or curious about the world, or a burning desire to move up the economic ladder. Also, very contented and cheerful guys with little complaints on life.

Again there is an inter religious element here. Maddy converts to a catholic to marry dhamyanthi, a visa scam. This is a weak link. One, if damyanthi is such an ardent catholic, she would no way agree to a scam church wedding, for the simple reason, the catholic church still frowns on divorce. Second, for the visa scams, the easiest path is the registrar’s office. Registration is a must in all western countries and there was no need for the conversion. I suppose it is meant by kamal to add some pathos in the movie?

The ending is satisfying and we see dhamayanthi laying down palghat roots. First time in a movie, I have seen a brahmin environment adopt a NB, even though in this case madhavan is an orphan. Maybe it is meant to show, that without relatives, one is more willing to open one’s minds?

One song haunts me always. ‘enna idhu enna idhu ennai kolvadhu’ sung by chinmayee (her voice simply grows in you over time) and the music director ramesh vinayagam. He is one of the most underrated MDs in kollywood and inspite of top notch music album in this movie, he did not get a repeat from this director. Don’t know why his career has stalled.

All in all, a very enjoyable movie, with good acting by madhu & geethu. very good chemistry there. geethu did not get another chance in tamil movies since 2004 when this movie was made. she now is preparing to direct in malayalam movies and continue acting.

The villain xavier britto, the only authentic australian tamil sri lankan, was a bit weak and not convincing.

Hope you to get to enjoy too.

Very Nice Movie. Liked the acting of madhavan a lot.

The same movie was released in Hindi as well.

hot off the press YEAH!!

vinnai thaandi varuven.. announced. sequel to VTV.

the original vtv cast assembling. dec 2012 planned release. yahooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

"Some Reviews said that Rajan was Kiran's brother... it was not clear to me. If he was not a brother, then how Kiran could write personal letters and hand over to a "third-party" without any hesitation! It looked little odd and unbelievable to me."
Dear Shri Yamaka

In that movie Rajan was not Kiran's brother. He is their classmate and a neighbour I guess.

He requests Kiran to help with writing letters to Delilah (since he feels he is not good enough in writing impressive enough letters and knows Kiran is good at writing/poetry) in order to tell his love. And so Kiran does help him with a couple of letters and he is left to write his own after that. Delilah comes to know that the letters were actually written by Kiran when she is reading out loud one of the letters written by (assumed) Rajan and Kiran finishes the verses! (This part is similar to the one in the movie 'Duet' where Meenakshi realises that it was Prabhu who actually wrote the beautiful love letter when the current goes off and Prabhu completes the verses!)

Kind Regards

the real story of IIFA awards in toronto -

folks,

none of the write ups gave the real story. below is a complaint that one of the folks with whom i watched the show wrote to the organizers. it was not written by me, but i concur 100%.

anyone who expected oscar like precision, were instead rewarded with indian style sloppiness. ... the govt of ontario gave these folks $12 million to have the show staged in toronto. talk of wasting money...

My take on IIFA 2011.

R had a gnawing desire to see the show live. I can't think of anything more frustrating than sitting in a seat for 6 hours listening to speeches and ad lib jokes and unscripted lines from second grade stars and star wannabe's.
We ended up subscribing to pay per view and watched with a group of friends and had a 'special menu' food and drinks.

The show itself started two hours late. And the local networks MC's 'filled in' with poor ad lib interviews and repetitive and inane questions. 'What are you wearing?" 'What are you looking forward to most tonight" Even worse than the questions were some of the answers: 'I am looking forward to my performance'. 'I am wearing "(name of Indian designer')" and the interviewer once said 'Oh I don't know who that is...but you look great!'.

Cuba Gooding jr was there... he was funny, and spontaneous. Hope some people were taking notes. Especially the main MC's of the main show.

Toronto came out the winner. The fans, the visible adulation of crowds, the lavish hospitality- it was mentioned repeatedly ad nauseum. And, for the first part of the awards night it looked as if, our Premier's speech and the choreographed number promoting Ontario was the best part of the Awards night!

Some of the flubs were Shahrukh came on stage to reprimand Boman and Ritesh telling them how to MC an event and how terribly they were doing(which is true). It looked like this was a tactic to stall for time.

Priyanka Chopra was given a 'green' award and she was nowhere to be seen. Her mother was called on stage to receive the award and proceeded to make a speech!

Dharmendra took the stage and hogged the mike prior to getting his award, then took over the mike after getting his award. Where was the music cue and the mannequin to usher them off stage?

I understand some networks will carry the show next week. If people must see or are regretting not seeing it, get the edited version or pick up a DVD. Or you can always do what we did. Take the show with a drink in hand. Make it a 'double'.

Advice to Wizcraft:
Fire the Exec Producer - the show was poorly planned and executed worse.

Why were Shahrukh and Anil Kapoor on Stage all the time? Were they stalling? Were they trying to save the show or were they filling in for your poor MC's.

The majority of the show was in Hindi which half the audience from the Indian diaspora would not have understood. In this day and age, with all the resources and technology for simultaneous translation, could you not have organized subtitles in English?

Fire the writer of the comedic acts. Fire them twice. Guys wearing skirts and dancing- gimme a break! that is so 50s!

Fire Boman and Ritesh. They are great guys but stale humour and there is no chemistry between them, and their timing is off.

Hire some script writers to write the whole show. Stars cannot and should not ad lib. They are used to memorizing lines. They are not TV anchors. All of the Oscars is scripted and rehearsed.

And if you are the Producer of the show if you ever get to see this... well then take notes before you hit delete.
Toronto fans are polite but we are not fools

one reply to the above; this person got 1st row seats:

Hi, Sure Priyanka could not be seen on stage as she was totally drunk backstage and could not steady her back! I am told by one of the volunteers that these gals and guys had private bartenders whose job was to keep their goblets full backstage. No wonder none of them could perform. Alcohol sure takes away the performance anxiety but kills the performance in more ways than one!

Guru

Watched it again, at the urging of one of my children, recently hooked on bollywood.

The story is as close as one could get to describe dhirubhai ambani’s life, without getting sued. And mani ratnam has made it.

I am not too fond of the bacchans, but I like abhishek in this movie. He has a constrained style (as opposed to his dad’s flamboyance), and he makes a good pair with aishwariya. This movie was made long before their romance was outted, and openly there was no spark between the two, that I could detect.

But there definitely was fireworks between the ‘ill’ vidya balan and madhavan. To start off, there was this one minute kiss, which, in any other movie but this, would have tongues wagging. It was done delicately sweet and bitter sweet, considering the role that vidya played.

I am inclined to think vidya/madhavan capitalized on this chemistry, in those, delightful, aircell ads. Always loved watching them on youtube.

ARR’s music is upto his expected standard. The song ‘tere bina’ with its monotonous background chant, is haunting, and keeps on ringing in your ears. I have it on my ipod and never tire of listening to it.

Mithun was not convincing in his role as a crusading journalist.

Madhavan’s duplicitic tour of the factory brought out only one thing – how corrupt and stupid the permit licence quota raj was. There was a huge demand for nylon in the country, but the stupid planning commission would only grant so much to be produced, so that there is an artificial scarcity all the time. And prices high. Stoopid.

Another interesting thing. Now seldom seen I guess. Folks may be adversaries to the hilt, but they maintained civility. And decency. It was touching, the relationship between vidya and abhishek.

Aish shone, throughout the movie. I was surprised. She was convincing as the jilted elope. Matured very well, as the matriarch, and pillar of support to a wounded and besieged husband. True sitahood.

All in all a very satisfying movie. Satisfying ending too.

Yamaka said:
Interestingly, in my own life one Temple Josiar in Trichi, TN read my palm and predicted that I will have an IRM and will very soon fly away from the place of birth!! This happened a full 2 years before the marriage!!!

Voila.. very amazing.. these Palm Readers are! Why is it frightening to you? I thought it's very amusing to me!! lol.

Dear Yamaka,

LOL!!!!!! I get the picture now!!!! You were born Christian.

Amen/Aum/Amin

Yamaka said:

Dear Yamaka,

LOL!!!!!! I get the picture now!!!! You were born Christian.

Amen/Aum/Amin

Hi Renuka:

Interesting, an orthodox Christian going to a Temple Josiar in Trichi!! Lol

Me Na.

Have fun.

p.s. My friend was a good believer of Josiars, and he knew this man very well. He pestered me to show my palm to that man! My guess is this Palm Reader somehow knew about me through my friend.. and he just guessed right that I will have an IRM and will fly away - a pure guess, IMO.

Last edited:
Watched it again, at the urging of one of my children, recently hooked on bollywood.

The story is as close as one could get to describe dhirubhai ambani’s life, without getting sued. And mani ratnam has made it.

I am not too fond of the bacchans, but I like abhishek in this movie. He has a constrained style (as opposed to his dad’s flamboyance), and he makes a good pair with aishwariya. This movie was made long before their romance was outted, and openly there was no spark between the two, that I could detect.

But there definitely was fireworks between the ‘ill’ vidya balan and madhavan. To start off, there was this one minute kiss, which, in any other movie but this, would have tongues wagging. It was done delicately sweet and bitter sweet, considering the role that vidya played.

I am inclined to think vidya/madhavan capitalized on this chemistry, in those, delightful, aircell ads. Always loved watching them on youtube.

ARR’s music is upto his expected standard. The song ‘tere bina’ with its monotonous background chant, is haunting, and keeps on ringing in your ears. I have it on my ipod and never tire of listening to it.

Mithun was not convincing in his role as a crusading journalist.

Madhavan’s duplicitic tour of the factory brought out only one thing – how corrupt and stupid the permit licence quota raj was. There was a huge demand for nylon in the country, but the stupid planning commission would only grant so much to be produced, so that there is an artificial scarcity all the time. And prices high. Stoopid.

Another interesting thing. Now seldom seen I guess. Folks may be adversaries to the hilt, but they maintained civility. And decency. It was touching, the relationship between vidya and abhishek.

Aish shone, throughout the movie. I was surprised. She was convincing as the jilted elope. Matured very well, as the matriarch, and pillar of support to a wounded and besieged husband. True sitahood.

All in all a very satisfying movie. Satisfying ending too.

Hello K:

Did you get the feeling that Ambani Sr earned everything ethically and legally, as per the movie Guru?

I thought the newspaper man raised serious eyebrows!

My reading is Anil Ambani liked "Guru" and he wanted to somehow reward Mani - he bought the Raavan from him for a whopping Rs 100 crores, although he lost big on this movie!

I liked the movie very much - mostly ARR's music and all the songs!

Cheers.

Please see Avan -Ivan and tell me!

avan ivan & life in a metro - both on my list.

Y - answer to you tomorrow...does the end justify the means?

thanks for the feedback.

valli, Y, srini.. thanks for reviving this thread. forgot about it.

tonight seeing as much of dabangg, with my daughter.. liked it the first time. mainly for salman khan, but i have never found another movie of his i liked. including sajan.

will feedback. promise :)

Hi Renuka:

Interesting, an orthodox Christian going to a Temple Josiar in Trichi!! Lol

Me An.

Have fun.

p.s. My friend was a good believer of Josiars, and he knew this man very well. He pestered me to show my palm to that man! My guess is this Palm Reader somehow knew about me through my friend.. and he just guessed right that I will have an IRM and will fly away - a pure guess, IMO.

Yamaka Ji,

Its your own words only the IRM..hehehehe

Amen

Hello K:

Did you get the feeling that Ambani Sr earned everything ethically and legally, as per the movie Guru?

I thought the newspaper man raised serious eyebrows!

My reading is Anil Ambani liked "Guru" and he wanted to somehow reward Mani - he bought the Raavan from him for a whopping Rs 100 crores, although he lost big on this movie!

I liked the movie very much - mostly ARR's music and all the songs!

Cheers.

Please see Avan -Ivan and tell me!

Y,

Avan ivan not yet available in toronto! Do you view the CD or online?

Re guru:

I must have misunderstood the movie. I gathered that dhirubhai was being accused of bribing and corrupting the entire government structure. There was references to it throughout including the government hearing. Again the fact, he was only found guilty on one count, I thought he corrupted the government folks again, who came up with a face saving formula of a few lakh in fines.

Also,what was surprising, was the strict government permit licence quota rajyam. This guy could make and sell twice the nylon that he was permitted.

The people who felt threatened by ambani, were the old bandicoots – birla, shriram – all of which are history now. None of them have survived, but reliance, inspite of the split, is now a world class managed company, running the world’s biggest refinery in jamnagar, producing gasoline, cheaper than even its famous singapore counterparts.

Re reliance pix giving mani ratnam 100 crores for ravanan, I think anil is a businessman first. Then a sentimentalist. Ravanan flunked in my opinion, because it was too regional, distasteful and dreary subject and above all poor acting (in hindi) by abhishek.

Hope this explains.

Thank you.

Kunjuppu Sir,

Try Company, some say it is the real story of Dawood Ibrahim. Liked the acting of Ajay Devgan in the movie.

Also try to watch Corporate, Liked the acting of Bipasha Basu and Kay Kay Menon in the movie.

Cheers
Karthik

srini i love ajay - he was awesome in 'once upon a time in mumbai' & akrosh. both top notch movies.

Y, thanks for the website. usually movie watching is a family thing.. so speed is a bit slow. will catch up on all those movies. also we get good quality dvd in toronto fairly quickly. so used to watching them on wide screen. i do have a pc to tv converter, but the images are not smooth; they jump (a bit)

our current tamil society

Vijay Tv Neeya Naana 29-05-11 | Watch Tamil Movies Online

thank you Y for getting me hooked on this site :)

i have liked gopinath and his 'neeya naana' on vijay tv.

watched through this entire episode and this was an eye opener to me.

among other things, it confirmed that between all tamil castes (not sure if there was xtian or muslim in this episode) people are the same.

this dealt with poNN paarkal and the hopes and aspirations of the girls and boys. admittedly it was a selection from chennai, and from chennai - the brahmins, vanniyars, nadars, naidus, parayars, mudaliars, gurukkals, etc.. all think alike when it comes to marriage. arranged marriage that is.

- majority want jadhaga porutham (the bride & groom too). all parents want jadhaga porutham.

- marriage within the caste is default

- still girls are treated sort of second rate, though tough to say, considering these girls' who were tv and their expectations

- self employed or priesthood is a handicap

- ostentatious marriage is a must - if not for self, for the 'community'

- 'community' or samooham plays a large part in many decisions. it is not the whites only who have this obsessions to 'keep up with the jones'

- village families are looked down for many reasons

- today's girsl, having been brought up with pet and affection, are ensured, by their parents, that these do not enter into household with any potential hardships (to my surprise, these girls' parents have very tight criteria)

my own personal view

- boy am i glad that i am not a parent of a marriageable kid in tamil nadu

- boy am i glad that my children told me that they will take care themselves re finding a mate

- my own marriage decision was so simple - no jadhagam, just chance meeting of families, getting to know the families over 2 years, my own trust in my mother's decision making strength and judge of character

- almost all marriages these days in my chennai bound relations, are love marriages, albeit within the caste (otherwise dont know what all commercial type discussions they would enter into)

- just a gut feeling, that other communities are behind the average tambram, in social attitudes by a generation, though fast catching up (just a gut feeling, because of my unfamiliarity with other communities)

- pleasantly surprised that gurukkals, are the only group, who do not offer/accept dowries and who go for simple weddings (though a gurukkal priest would find it difficult to find a bride regardless and even though he earns handsomely as a priest)

- sort of sympathize those parents whose wards' ads in the numerous matrimonial site with the same monotonous high qualities - it is expected; deviation scares potential offers

- 'love marriage' is the way to go to break this crude stranglehold on our wedding process. also, probably a good way to break the caste stranglehold too, though judging by the youngsters in this episode, all of them seem to be wedded to caste, either for their own belief, or for their parents' sake (cop out)

thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back