• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Movie Madness

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dear Kunjuppu

After reading the above post of yours I too saw the whole episode and couldn't agree more with this point of yours - and - truly hope that my children will say the above:)

Kind regards

Dear Valli and K:

In our household,

1. Our kids follow what the parents did - Follow Your Own Free Will.

Somehow, our kids (age 26 and 22) are planning about their profession MORE, and not thinking much of marriage, although they both have very many boys and girls as just friends.

Son has turned down a plum job in Palo Alto, CA, and has gone on a medical mission to Haiti to work in a cholera-infested rural village!

I told him "Do, whatever makes you happy".

2. I don't expect that they will ask the parents "To look for a Varan"

I hope to pitch in whatever possible in terms of Marriage Expenses, when it happens.

Cheers.

Yesterday I happened to see a very old movie, 'Naadodi Mannan' in Raj TV. What interested me was the song 'கையிலே வாங்கினேன் பையிலே போடலே, காசு போன இடம் தெரியல்லே' being sung by Bhanumati. Are we not singing the same words even today? Are we running around to stay in the same place?

Hello Folks: Tamil Movie Appaavi

Yesterday I say the Tamil movie Appaavi, a political satire with the theme similar to "Wednesday" ("Unnaipol Oruvan" - Tamil). You may watch it at Latest Movies | Watch Tamil Movies Online

Although I liked the movie for some humor, I have difficulty accepting the "Street Justice" for all the problems we face in our Indian Society (very corrupt politicians, police, press, terrorism etc etc).

Should the citizens take arms against ALL the Villains of the Society? What should we do about the innumerable problems at home?

Appaavi gives one answer... I have difficulty accepting it!

What say you?

Life in a ............. Metro

45 years ago, my cousin rejected an otherwise perfectly matched tambram girl in marriage, just for the reason that she was a nurse. me, being a young teenager then, could not understand his reason, 'well she cleans the private parts of men & sees them naked'. to me, then, as is now, nursing is one of the nobler professions in the world, and i would have had no hesitation to have married a nurse.

fortunately, in this movie, female virginity is not what it was, atleast the way it is portrayed. apparently indian men have become more sensible. somewhat. may not quite. maybe two rules for the two genders?

that is the beauty of this movie. it displays the varying values, which is what current india is.

the movie is made up of 4 stories.

the most sweet syrupy is dharmendra/nafisa ali (god she is so beautiful). it is a story of love lost, and recovered after 40 years. it is also probably dharm's first onscreen deep kiss. such things did not happen when he was in his prime. the reaction of nafisa's son on her decision to live-in with dharm is hilarious. i guess it would have been mine too, knowing how out of focus and false values, most of us, emigrant indians have. :(

the most satisfying couple irfan khan (ever my favourite - how does such an ugly guy get so successful? proves that bollywood can do better if it really wants) /konkona sen sharma. the girl is simply loveable. my wife likes her, and till this movie i was somewhat hesitant in my grading of her. she gets an A+ in this movie.

sharman joshi/kangana raunut is melodramatic & is the weakest link in the movie. this part is a take off of that great hollywood movie, 'the apartment' which introduced shirley maclaine to us, and fred macmurray/jack lemmon in the lead men role. kk menon is the bad guy here, equivalent to fred macmurray, but like all indian men, gets away with murder (atleast close to it)

the main story with shilpa shetty/kk menon & shiney ahuja is so-so. this is my first shilpa movie, and i did not find her acting of the calibre of vidya balan or rani mukherjee or priyanka chopra. she looks like a modern version of sharmila tagore, and has the same set of mediocre acting skills. good she married rich. kk menon has a role cut for him. some guys are keant for villain roles and kk is one. shiney is ok, but i cannot get over the fact that he is spending time now in jail for raping his servant maid. what an idiot!! i am for once, impressed with indian justice, and for one of the few occassions, where money could not buy justice.

i could never understand, why those 4 guys interrupt the flow of the movie constantly with their singing. the songs could have been played in the background, as there is no lip sync ops in this movie. i guess it is a chance for this band led by pritam. anyway it is the first of its kind for a desi movie.

konkona and irfan got awards for their role in best supporting roles.

i liked the movie. would recommend atleast one visit for any time. enjoy :)

Monsoon Wedding

i was introduced to mira nair through mississippi masala - incidentally one of the early movies of denzel washington, prior to him becoming a star. i liked the movie and it is only now i could get to watch monsoon wedding.

the underlying shadow of darkness in the movie is frightening. how many of us would suspect sexual predators among our closest relatives. well, folks, i personally know a few, and i would never trust any children, male or female, among certain folks. our own community.

the victims of sexual abuse, get seldom much sympathy in our society. a character in the movie says, 'such a small thing'. oh well!!

the father nasruddin shah, runs out of money. i have seen that too happen. lavish planning and spending - without control, the repayment plans being pie in the sky.

the maid alice, by her absence of words, and just looks and actions, steals our hearts. her budding romance, actually ending in a shotgun wedding to the contractor pk dubey, is one of the streams of delight of this movie.

though it is but a reality to see a bride, having an affair, the way in which this particular one gets out of her predicament, and eventually into the hands of the groom, is well thought out, smooth and believable.

hate to say this but there is also currents of budding homosexuality present in the movie in the character of the bride's young teenage brother. all the signs of creativity and artsy inclinations, are but rudely ignored by the father. another typical reaction of men all over, to a son whose behaviour appears sexually ambiguous. i guess.

the monsoon plays an important role. heavy, incessant, silent downpour - a good background, to an excellent movie.

inspite of my abvoe somewhat downers, this is an upbeat movie. a victory to the spirit of survival and prosperity to those millions who were devastated by the partition, and who made delhi what it is today - a de facto punjabi city.

good show mira!!

Yes very good movie. Watched it ages ago. Nasruddin Shah, such a natural actor. Are you just only catching up now? :). I still prefer Mississipi Masala. Some of the dialogues are really brilliant.

thanks amala.

after a break of nearly 35+ years, i am back into serious movie watching. thanks to netflix, i get to see some old and not so old hindi movies. thanks to our sri lankan tamil cousins, i watch current tamil and hindi movies.

it is my intention to write a review on each of them, as they unfold.

includling episodes of vijay tv 'neeya naana'.

:)

i agree nasruddin shah is superb. in any role. the previous, i saw him ishqiya, playing second fiddle to vidya balan, but a great second fiddle. too bad arshad warsi got the supporting role awards.

nas is currently staging an english play in chenna, believe it or not!!

thanks amala.

after a break of nearly 35+ years, i am back into serious movie watching. thanks to netflix, i get to see some old and not so old hindi movies. thanks to our sri lankan tamil cousins, i watch current tamil and hindi movies.

it is my intention to write a review on each of them, as they unfold.

includling episodes of vijay tv 'neeya naana'.

:)

i agree nasruddin shah is superb. in any role. the previous, i saw him ishqiya, playing second fiddle to vidya balan, but a great second fiddle. too bad arshad warsi got the supporting role awards.

nas is currently staging an english play in chenna, believe it or not!!

Dear Kunjs,

You know somehow I dont know why I really cant drag myself to see A list movies.I still like those Masala types where boy meets girl, run around trees in some foreign country, one or two street dance, few fight scenes( like Sarath Kumar fight scenes) and have a happy ending.

When I was young I used to hate seeing some movies where a heroic animal will die and I used to cry non stop till my mum had to convince me thats its only movie and the animal didnt die in real life.

Even now I dont like sad movies.

Dont know when I will see A list movie.Even Hollywood movies I like B grade horror cos the ghost show up in the 1st scene itself as compared to A grade horror the ghost dont show up till 2nd half or sometimes not at all!!!

You know I like this Hollywood teenage movie Dude Where's my Car!!!
Have you seen that?

Last edited:
Even my last Nasruddin Shah film was Ishqiya. Thats the 1st time i saw Vidya Balan in reel life. I used to read about you going on and on about her :) here, but i didn't get a chance to see her films. Then my friend recommended Ishqiya and what can I say (i am partial to dark humour anyway). It was a very unique film. I am totally a fan of Vidya's acting (and beauty, except her nose is too big, else she will be perfect).

I have never seen for ages now an actress wearing traditional clothes looking so unbelievably sensual and smouldering. If she was a Bharatnatyam dancer I would say her abhinaya is second to none.

Rekka,

I like both commercial, masala type and serious stuff. Especially like black humour and satire. I recently saw Avan Ivan. I think IMO Vishal stole the limelight from Arya.

If you guys like Naseeruddin Shah so much a must watch would be films like Mirch masala, Albert Pinto Ko Gussa Kyon Aata Hai, Mohan Joshi Hazir Ho!, Jaane Bhi Do Yaaro( My personal Favorite) and Hero Hiralal.

A brilliant actor indeed, he is just a few among the real actors who have risen from the theater worlds.

amala,

please see parineeta. it is vidya's first movie. she is tops there too.... :)

her other good film is 'no one killed jessica lal' & pa.

she is currently making a movie on yester years sexpot silk smitha, called (yes) 'dirty movie'

Thanks SriniJi, I will try and watch those Nasrudding films that you have mentioned.

K mama,

I really cannot wait for Dirty Movie. I personally find the title disgraceful TBH. I am a fan of Silk Smitha. Not her item songs/films but her serious acting. She was immensely talented an actress. So so unfortunate that she was never given due recognition for that and had to spiral down to being known for her item numbers.

Having watched Alaigal Oyvathilai, I was amazed at her acting. Even in another film as Bhagyaraj's wife her comic timing, like Sridevi's was fantastic IMO. So sad like i said, that she was ultimately recognised for being a sexpot.

Even my last Nasruddin Shah film was Ishqiya. Thats the 1st time i saw Vidya Balan in reel life. I used to read about you going on and on about her :) here, but i didn't get a chance to see her films. Then my friend recommended Ishqiya and what can I say (i am partial to dark humour anyway). It was a very unique film. I am totally a fan of Vidya's acting (and beauty, except her nose is too big, else she will be perfect).

I have never seen for ages now an actress wearing traditional clothes looking so unbelievably sensual and smouldering. If she was a Bharatnatyam dancer I would say her abhinaya is second to none.

Rekka,

I like both commercial, masala type and serious stuff. Especially like black humour and satire. I recently saw Avan Ivan. I think IMO Vishal stole the limelight from Arya.

Dear amala,

I know 2 fans of Vidya Balan here in Forum..they are going to love your post.
Amala I think Aishwarya Rai looks smouldering in both western and traditional attire and no one has come close to her yet I feel.
Aishwarya is feminine but Vidya at times her hard features does come across a bit masculine and chunky but anyways beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Anway I agree with you about Vishal..He is one tall, good looking,chiseled face, 6 packed, action packed hero.

Last edited:
neeya naana? fil sil relationship

Watch Vijay TV Show Neeya? Naana? @ Tamilo.com

this episode is relationship between fil and sil, in a love marriage scenario.

gopinath walks through the various stages of this relationship - starting with the potential suitor introducing himself to the girl's father, through family wrangles, caste wrangles (most ic marriages, but i could not offhand detect any tambram - could be wrong), touching points and finally (ofcourse) the eventual makeup and affection.

the url is for one session, which is hilarious. 20 years ago, this guy, along with 45 of his friends, 'kidnapped' the bride, in rural southern tamil nadu. a modern day prithviraj story. could easily have caused riots. apparently it took close to 10 years to heal the wounds.

both are from different castes, and i could imagine the kalavaram that this caused, judging from the narration. but it is narraged in a breezy and somewhat nostalgically humourous style, with the fil and sil having long made up.

it is only about 18 minutes and could be enjoyed in isolation, from the whole episode.

amazing, all the ic problems that we talk about it here, is the same concern for other castes.

long way to eradicate castes. no matter what :(

Last edited:
மாப்பிள்ளை

* Dhanush

DONT SEE IT. :( :( :(

Sri Kunjuppu,

I can understand your disappointed with 3 of those disappointed/upset smilies...

Incidently I didn't happen to see that movie. I got the feed back that it is zilch.

I would like to suggest one movie to make you happy, if you haven't seen yet.

There is one funny movie, made just to have fun from the begining till the end. There is one duet song that doesn't amke any sense of the lyrics, but briliantly composed to match the music/rythm/tunes..

The name of that Tamil movie is - "TAMIL PADAM". In this movie the theme of another Tamil move, some serious/thrilling/suspense/tactical killing sequences of some of the other Tamil movies were all been reproduced in a different way to make them all funny.

Here is the link of that funny song, I have referred above. You may just have a look into this youtube song and may decide to watch the movie –

YouTube - ‪Tamil Padam -O Maha Zeeya.avi‬‏
O Maha Zeeya Oho Maha Zeeya Nakumuku Naka O Shakalaka Oho Randakka... :)

Full entertainment guaranteed.....

Last edited:
Kunjuppu sir,

Try Boss Engira Baskaran. full timepass, dont watch with any expectations is all I will say. One time watch.

Also Ye sali Zindagi. One time watch for sure.

Delhi Belly has also got good reviews.

srini,

watch both boss and zindagi.

Let us look at boss first.

It was my second arya movie, and first nayantara (bless this lady. Her man prabhu just got his divorce).

Arya handled this well. In madrasapattinam he was good. A malayali moplah speaking good tamil.

Nayan was very good. She handled the role of the modern day girl very well. I loved the end when she was punching arya.

A breezy offbeat comedy. The songs were not hummable. Would give it 3 :)

Ye saali zindagi is also a good movie.

Chitrangda singh was great as a sultry bar singer. So pretty too. Too bad, she is another of those unappreciated gems of hindi movies. So few roles over 15 years or so in bollywood.

Always like Irfan khan. He is in his traditional punkish good/bad role. He is in so many movies these days. irffan is a living proof that you do not need to have good features to hit it big in bollywood. surprising eh!

yeh saali zindagi 4 :)

I liked him best so far in Knockout. If you have not seen it, go for it. 5 :)

Last edited:
Agree with you on Irrfan. He is my favorite too nowdays. He pulls his weight in any roles.

About Zindagi, I'll give 5 because of the sense and timing of humor.

The best role as per me would be Ye Sali Zindagi and Life in Metro.

Another Real theatre actor.

Heard he is going to act as Nels Van Atter in the next Spider Man to be realeased in 2012.

Too late K mama. Watched that God awful Mappilai already. I wouldn't have sat through it if I had read your umm rather concise review beforehand.

Is Irfan Khan the guy who acted in The Namesake?

He was in Slumdog millionaire. I watched it but honestly don't see why its so special a movie. I've seen better ones tbh

He was in Slumdog millionaire. I watched it but honestly don't see why its so special a movie. I've seen better ones tbh

Hello Amala:

I read that you saw Avan Ivan - yes, Vishal stole the show... when I watched first, I thought it's a silly movie, I didn't enjoy much.

But on the second sitting (perhaps I was in a relaxed mood), I enjoyed every bit of it as a Comedy dealing with dark issues of the Society..

I like Irfan Khan... he is a terrific actor - I liked his "care-free" style of acting in The Namesake and in SLM.

Why SLM became a worldwide hit?

Total package with Rahman's magical tunes and songs (you must sit thru the entire movie till the very end to get the whole essence of the movie)

Many Indians in the US, left in the middle of the movie unable to see the poverty and the life Jamal and Salim were forced into. When we saw it in the theater, my wife wanted to get up and go... but my son told her firmly, "Mom...sit down, watch the whole movie...it's very riveting and very interesting: Let's see how the whole story ends".

After the movie, we all felt that end was very good with "Jai Ho" masala dance!

I agree lots of Indians did not like SLM..... but it bagged so many Bafta, Golden Globe and Oscars:

Our Rahman brought home two Oscars and Rasool got one.... a fantabulous achievement, IMO.

I wish Mani or Balachandar or Bala or other ace directors of TN do the magic that Danny Boyle did in the SLM.

Cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back