• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Movie Madness

Status
Not open for further replies.
கன்னத்தில் முத்தமிட்டால்

கன்னத்தில் முத்தமிட்டால்

Oh dear, where am I to begin.

Let me start with the sri lankan conflict. I feel that we tambrams did not conduct ourselves honourably here. As a community, inspite of our internal disorganization, we could have done more. We are remembered today only for our uncompromising attacks on the tigers. I think it would have better, from both a political and moral standpoint, to have taken the high road, ie do good for the refugees, collect money and focus on the humanitarian tragedy. But then we have Neanderthals who blare the loudest, and who have control of the media.

Another topic: adoption. Madhavan, in a recent interview, recalled, how when he visited the refugee camps, about the difficulty in getting orphans adopted. Even there, he said, caste and creed played a role. Sad.

The movie is tops and I sat enthralled for 130 minutes or so, and saw it in one setting.

The courtship between maddy and simran was sweet and helped take the underlying angst and abandonment, which is the main theme of the movie. Of course, love, - between couples, within family and within friends ultimately wins and which is portrayed in a touching and subtle manner.

The film belongs to keerthana. As amudha, the abandoned daughter of a terrorist, who grows up in a caring and loving family. An ordinary well adjusted girl, till her 9th birthday, when her parents tell her of her adoption. If at all anything, this is the weakest link in the movie story, but then without this quirk there would have been no movie. So I will let it pass.

Simran is very adequate both as the mother & wife/lover. She looks young enough to carry herself convincingly in a dhavani, and her sharp but love filled retorts to madhavan, is indeed a welcomely different kind of courtship.

But it amudha whose adoption binds them together. It was touching to see the baby included in the wedding scene.

The second role, ie that of a mother, is more difficult. Again, one sees the bonding between mother daughter, which, this movie proves, is the strongest bond, between two humans, I think. Even though these are not related by blood, but by relationship.

It is an accurate portrayal, the mother unforgiving for the daughter’s transgressions, and the daughter’s endearing apologies. Made me cry.

Amudha’s quest for her mother is natural. I think it is the quest of every adopted child, there is a bittersweet process and muchly poignant. On the one hand, we have the adoptee parents, wondering if all the love and affection they have provided so far, will have come to nought.

Then, in most cases I think, is the overwhelming disappointment most adoptees face, when they realize that the real blood parent is a disappointment, far removed from the fantasy they have been building up so far.

The little girl here keeps a diary of her life which she wants to give to her birth mother. Apparently it is a common thing. Because, in a recent book, ‘the secret daughter’ by shilpi somayya gowda, there is the same feature – an adopted daughter maintaining a diary and searching for birth mother…

Prakash raj is convincing as the tamil speaking humane Sinhalese. Nandita bose has minimal role. All other support are adequate, and thankfully, no ‘comedy role’.

The music is in sync with the movie, but ARR did not provide any haunting hummable theme music, like he did for Guru, another serious movie.

Madhavan, is good. Understated acting, but rises up to the role, in really a support role, to amudha and in a way to simran. In a way, he shows, through the movie, no matter what, it is a man’s world and the woman suffers or has to work harder – the career, writing, courting, fatherhood. The traditionally talked about father/daughter bond, is somewhat subdued here, correctly so.

The portrayal of family bonding – through day to day activities and how much we interact, bump, murmur, complain and yet form the bonds – is very well done, in the granpa murmuring but overruled in his views, whether to tell amudha about her adoption or any other thing.

The parents are portrayed as an intelligent unit, who treat their 9 year old with a seriousness, which can be seen in the west, but not in india. As a rule. I guess there are exceptions. The norm for us would have been to ignore the insistence to go to a war torn sri lanka. Yet maddy/simran took upon this as a duty, and left the rest of the family behind, and ventured into the battle grounds with great danger to themselves and amudha.

I could go on, but will stop here.

WONDERFUL ENDING!!

A must see movie.

5 :)

I enjoyed watching Sita Sings the blues - Sita Sings the Blues
[video=youtube;RzTg7YXuy34]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzTg7YXuy34[/video]
B;urb by the directorproducer
Q: What drove you to create "Sita Sings the Blues"?A: Sita Sings the Blues is a musical, animated personal interpretation of the Indian epic the Ramayana. The aspect of the story that I focus on is the relationship between Sita and Rama, who are gods incarnated as human beings, and even they can't make their marriage work.

And then there's my story. I'm just an ordinary human, who also can't make her marriage work. And the way that it fails is uncannily similar to the way Rama and Sita's [relationship fails]. Inexplicable yet so familiar. And the question that I asked and the question people still ask is, "Why"? Why did Rama reject Sita? Why did my husband reject me? We don't know why, and we didn't know 3,000 years ago. I like that there's really no way to answer the question, that you have to accept that this is something that happens to a lot of humans.
Q: Why make a feature movie out of the ancient Hindu epic, the Ramayana?A: I was moved by the story and it seemed to speak so much to my life at the time, my problems at the time. It was cathartic to retell the story. It was a very personal project from the beginning. Including the autobiographical bits emphasizes that. I didn’t set out to tell THE Ramayana, only MY Ramayana. I wanted to be very clear about my point of view, my biases.​

Hello ALL: Did you see Vaenghai?

It is a political satire - Dhanush and Thammana in the lead.

1. It vividly pictures the dysfunctional politics in TN and how rowdism is flourishing there.

2. It has good cinematography of Sivaganga and Trichy...lot of stunt for Dhanush.

3. A few songs sound good (by DSP) Is he fighting with Yuan for the Best Slot??!

I will see once.. the theme has been dealt with in very many movies...Story line is just the same old..same old..

No Solutions suggested for this humongous problem in the State.

If Avan Ivan is a Social satire... this is a Political satire... with no escape for the Society!

I will give 2.5 stars out of 5 (because of cinematography, comedy by Ganja Karuppu and songs).

Enjoy Vaenghai and write about it, please.

Last edited:
Autograph

Autograph

Movies of reminiscences are anywhere from sweet to bitter sweet. This movie falls somewhere in between, but has captured the essence par excellence.

On a personal note, I went to a all boys school. On graduation, not even a bye to most guys, and definitely no autographs. Ditto end of PU in Loyola college. Same with college. We were a class of 225 with 1 girl. I do not know if anyone exchanged autograph with subhalakshmi, but I certainly was not one of them.

My aunt went to maharaja’s college ernakulam, early 50s for intermediate. Later years, when I went to my home town, my biggest thrill was secretly reading the autographs of hers from those years.

Even today I recall the messages – most were corny and naïve, but there was a sincerety in the profession of love affection and above all everlastness of those feelings. The sad fact is, with the poor state of communication of those days india, students lost touch almost immediately with the majority of their class mates. Not like now, where each one keeps tab of the other through internet.

I do not know how many of our members here exchanged wishes in an autograph on the last days of their college days. How many of those turned to romances. And how many culminated in marriages?

The movie begins with cheran’s journey to his home village to invite folks whom he remembers for his wedding in madras. He appears to be in his 30s, successful businessman. His thoughts turns towards kamala his first love. The little pre teen attraction turns to romance on puberty. The idea of cutting her kunjalam as a keepsake is sweet.

At the close of 10, +2 appears to be the domain of the male, as kamala bitterly announces. She is bound for marriage, kids and housewife – the roles defined for her by her father. So the lovers part, and to be reunited in this journey. Our man finds kamala, a mother of 3, busy housewife, and what appears to be a kind husband. But one can feel her raw longing and sense of loss, at her current situation, and ‘what could have been’.

A houseragged kamala, on recognizing cheran (senthil) her first lovemate, could not but help, to immediately go to the mirror, straighten her her, and provide what little cosmetic a village in tamil could provide ie the bottu. The events with the supporting cast are portrayed perfectly natural, no drama or pathos. Just life the brook gurgling along.

The next stage is kerala where cheran, due to his father’s xfer, he goes to college. He meets lathika, an artistic malayali girl. The interlanguage romance is really hilarious and the way the boy wins the girl is refreshing. The scene in the bus, where lathika, offers senthil a bitten apple, and its immediate reference to adam/eve is funny, to say the least.

The heartbroken young man, goes down in the dumps, takes to drinking and making a mess of his life. There is always a military way to straighten someone – in this case a banishment to madras to make a life for himself.

The next girl in his life is divya – a girl who faces all the troubles of life, and many many of them at that, with a fortitude, and who being left alone, yearns for a good friend,. In that she finds sendhil, and in turn, brings him back to life, and sets him up in a career, where he succeeds.

And thus comes the present. He is getting married to the girl of his parent’s choice, and he has the luxury to look back, and catch up with the three girls who were part of his life.

The ending? Hmmm.. I am an incurable romantic, and I think I have become addicted to sweet endings.

You will have to see yourself and judge if the ending was satisfying. After all it is a story, and the story teller can end it in anyway he wants.

4 :)

re baradwaj rangan

rangan used to have a blog, which i faithfully followed. his reviews of movies were superb.

it was the latest pauline kael, who in the new yorker magazine, made movie review an art by itself. a review was not a precis of the movie, with a smart comment thrown in here and there, to give an air of knowledge, and finally a panning comment to put down the efforts of the entire film and its creators, to a star or a fraction of a star.

i dont think pauline even gave marks to her movies. it was an essay of the movie, and if i remember right, most often, i could not even fathom whether she liked the movie or not.

rangan was very similar. each movie, he reviewed, was a story by itself. nowhere did he refer to the current movie with the past of the director, story teller or music director, or the myriads of humans who go to make up a movie today.

all of a sudden he stopped and i think, he went commercial. not sure how many indian news outlet he represents now, but sure enough, bharadwaj rangan was another blog that died a sudden death.

The Hindu : Life & Style / Metroplus : Lights, Camera, Conversation

so, it was a surprise to me, to see rangan's moniker on an article on '36 Chowranghee', one of the famous films of yester years.

i request you to read the last sentence of the second last para, and the last para in its entirety.

we simply do not know, what happens after the movie ends. rangan has ventured into this world, and as he confesses, it is not wisdom but age that induces him to do so.

personally, as i myself touch 61, do look upon the various aspect of life, a little more kindly. the villains are not so villainous, and maybe even the hero is a tad selfish, and the heroine has a blemish, a thin moustache line above her lips. such is life.

y'allhaveagoodday!

Dear All,

Last Friday evening I watched "தெய்வ திருமகன்", in cinema theater.

A must to watch movie. A good mix of humur and emotions all through the movie. The movie revolves around a grown up man with a brain of 6 years child and his little sweet daughter.

A very touching movie without lapse of any fun.

Chiyan Vikram has done fantastically, the most challenging character. Though I appreciate Vikram's performance in the movie, the one that stole my heart is, his chweet little kutty - "Nila". :)

Dear Kunjuppu

It has been a long.. time since I have posted something controversial!! And since this is something controversial, I am posting it addressed one and only to you!!!

I agree with your review re. the movie 'Autograph'.

Ok, I have seen this move and also liked it!

Kunjuppu, one thing I would disagree with is the 'Male Chauvenistic' attitude of the movie :)

If there was a movie about one girl who is going to be married and is finding her old lovers and distributing the wedding cards to them, how would this movie be received???

She loves one guy in year 10, 12. Another guy in Uni and another one whom she loves but that guy treats her as his sister!! And then she agrees to marry a guy whom her parents choose and goes on finding her old lovers and invites them to her marriage and introduces them to her wouldbe! would he tolerate it????????

I just wish someone makes a movie along this line :)

To hell with this Male Chauvinistic THINKING!!!!

Kind regards

Last edited:
valli,

let us consider the movie and the character separately ok?

the movie, i think, was tops. the storyline was good, the way it was presented was good, and everyone acted well. if at all anything, there was unnecessary songs and cheran needs to improve his acting skills. that the fact, nobody wanted to act in this movie (surya was #1 choice), made it necessary for cheran to don the hero role.

i liked the flow so much, that i thought that it deserved 4.5 :) (only because cheran chose a small canvas, compared to kannaththil muththamittaal) but reduced it to 4:) at the end.

precisely because of the ending. which was சப்பு.

let us move on to the character. abandoning his first love at 10th class, is i think, inevitable. you are too young to be self sustaining and especially in india, parental powers are strong and overwhelming.

but there is a line, where lathika asks to come with him, but he shoos her away, assuring nothing will happen. that was the first flaw in the movie story the way i saw it. then when she becomes widowed, and he sees her, and all the feelings come out which were dormant, and when he literally misbehaves like a teenager 4 days before the wedding, instead of standing up like a man, calling off the arranged marriage, and giving lathika a life. that is the ending that i would have liked.

if you read my review, the last few lines, indicate that. ie the story teller can tell it any way he wants, and not the way the audience likes.

re divya, the relationship is very ambiguous. in the end, divya asserts her desire for a friend to see her through (one should assume that she is a terminal cancer patient even though she does not behave like one). still, any man, left alone in close quarters, and getting to know a young pretty lonely girl so well, and being single, must be an idiot, not to flicker romantic interest in her. particularly the sacrifices she does, in order to help him get off in his career.

so even here, cheran acts spineless. so if we assume the hero is basically weak in character, though of an artistic nature, who does well given a good opportunity careerwise, and who ultimately marries the girl the parents chose for him - ie a normal tamil hindu boy, i guess it is ok.

also, the last part, where divya goes to spend her apparently last days, in a school/hostel for the blind, does not make sense.

cheran's background is interesting. he comes from a rural muslim family, the father a camera operator in a village theatre, the mother a teacher. he reminds me of a cousin of mine, who used to learn by heart all the movie dialogues and who wanted a career in the movies. so too with cheran, who came to madras, just like the guy in this story, hanging around kodambakkam, finally attracting enough attention to pick up the morsels thrown from the dinner table, and by sheer talent, persistence and ambition, working himself to the level that he is now. truly amazing.

i found cheran's understanding of rural hindu nuances a nice touch to the movie. this i personally do not know, but too long ago, our rural societies were such, that it was fairly common for hindus/muslims to mingle closely and this particular blogger whom i used to follow, mentioned that what she heard about ramayana and mahabharatha were from the old muslim lady of the village. there was no electricity or TV, and her story telling was the prime source of entertainment and pastime for the kids. much like mine, in my young days, spent in badagara kerala - no electricity and only foxes at the door of the house looking out for unguarded babies.

today, i hope to watch his next movie pokkisham. more after that. :)

Dear Kunjuppu

It has been a long.. time since I have posted something controversial!! And since this is something controversial, I am posting it addressed one and only to you!!!

I agree with your review re. the movie 'Autograph'.

Ok, I have seen this move and also liked it!

Kunjuppu, one thing I would disagree with is the 'Male Chauvenistic' attitude of the movie :)

If there was a movie about one girl who is going to be married and is finding her old lovers and distributing the wedding cards to them, how would this movie be received???

She loves one guy in year 10, 12. Another guy in Uni and another one whom she loves but that guy treats her as his sister!! And then she agrees to marry a guy whom her parents choose and goes on finding her old lovers and invites them to her marriage and introduces them to her wouldbe! would he tolerate it????????

I just wish someone makes a movie along this line :)

To hell with this Male Chauvinistic THINKING!!!!

Kind regards

Valli!!! you know what!!! You stole my thoughts!!!!
When I saw the movie i thought just the same as you.
Ya we should make such a movie.

A Wednesday (2008)

a thriller based in mumbai. the whole episode takes place within 4 hours. the story is told as a flashback, by anupam kher as he

the mumbai police gets notice of bombs placed in 4 different busy place. they are told to release 4 jihadists. the police agree to take the 4 terrorists to a pre destined place as per the phone caller, and what happens next is the crux of the movie.

nasiruddin shah as the phone caller, is nasiruddin shah. always excelling in his roles. i cannot say any more, for want of spoiling the suspense of folks wanting to see the movie.

jimmy shergill, as the trigger happy cop makes an impression. the other side roles have nothing much to say, and are hardly present, even though deepal shaw did have the opportunity to make an impression (like kangna ranaut did in knockout).

the twist at the end is novel and the moral of the story.. well new morals being set in a new age of terrorism.

mercifully, no songs. another movie of post terrorized mumbai. easily recommended for a single viewing !!

3 :)

ராமன் தேடிய சீதை

ராமன் தேடிய சீதை

i dedicate this review to the ladies of this thread. for after all is this not a woman centred movie. in the most positive manner

i like cheran because he is a narrator. i identify with him, because his stories, while personal, and still separated from reality, i feel, by a thin glass, which gives one a sense of participation without involvement.

this is the story of 3 girls and a man's quest to find a wife.

again, we have cheran, a successful businessman in the wedding card design production business. except he cannot print a card for himself. this probably reflects the situation so prevalent even in our community, but i have come to realize, the situation is the same in all tamil tribes.

a nice guy, no matter how successful he may be, will be haunted by his past shortcomings and it will take more than a sleight of nature's hand to set life right for him. probably our unmarried bachelors here can relate to that.

the first பொண் பார்க்கல் is to australian bb vimala raman. australia, it appears to me, is closer to tamil nadu not only in distance, but in expat tamil culture. so much more tenuous in canada, the cultural links.

vimala, during the 'private chat' during the பொண் பார்க்கல் gets to know more of our hero, during which, she makes her decision to deny him

cheran, then gets to meet remya nambeesan, who agrees to marry him, but on the wedding day, just prior to the ceremony, elopes with her boyfriend. for which, the noble cheran accepts the blame from the community (the first weak link in the story).

grief stricken, he just about to get hit by a car, when he is saved by a blind radio jockey, played par excellence by pasupathi. his candid remark, re how such a blind, older and (implied) ugly dark guy manages to snap a beautiful gajala as his wife, is a story within a story, and could have easily been removed and shortened the movie to a manageable 90 minutes.

the third girl shown here (one should assume rejection is the norm of cheran) is karthika, who comes out as spunky and modern. any college girl of today, she could be, judging by her forwardness, maturity and ability to handle life in a systemically planned manner. ofcourse she too has a story, and as a consequence of which cheran gets the 'pleasure' of rejecting a suitor.

meanwhile due to circumstances vimala & remya come back to his, albeit under different circumstances. the situation though contorted, is believable, only because all of this takes place in nagerkoil, a very small town and where one cannot but help bumping into the folks that you know.

the beauty of southern tamil nadu is another plus point in this movie and for folks like me, coming from north malabar, this extension of travancore cochin, is a familar tamil territory, tinged with a malayali accent. good stuff this angle to the movie.

the ending is very nice, satisfying and just. what is life, if the good are not rewarded?

i think cheran looks much more elegant in glasses and a shadow beard. in this movie, he has neither, and looks more an anti hero, than the goody two shoes that he is portrayed here.

the heroines are all pretty, and proving my maxim, that as the country gets richer, thanks to better food and nutrition, the hidden beauties have a chance to bloom. honestly i cannot tell which of the heroines is prettier, and which is a better actor. they are all that good.

this movie again proves that one does not need to have several deaths, poverty, hysterics of the women, breast beating and a villainous looking evil doer, to make a good or award winning movie.

a good movie, needs a narrator who loves his job, has the skill to communicate and above all, endear himself to his audience through an effort at authenticity and sincerety.

cheran tops on all those fronts.

ps i dedicated this movie to the ladies only because, i feel that in this movie, the strong female characters, even though split into 3, together form summed up a super heroine - a modern day tamil girl, who is sure of herself, bold enough to refuse the candidates proposed by her parents for marriage, college educated, willing to support a family, has a career - and above all, still has a heart.

jai woman !!

Dear Kunjuppu

Once again a beautiful review by you in your own style!!!

i feel that in this movie, the strong female characters, even though split into 3, together form summed up a super heroine - a modern day tamil girl, who is sure of herself, bold enough to refuse the candidates proposed by her parents for marriage, college educated, willing to support a family, has a career - and above all, still has a heart.

Can't agree with you more! Very, true!

grief stricken, he just about to get hit by a car, when he is saved by a blind radio jockey, played par excellence by pasupathi. his candid remark, re how such a blind, older and (implied) ugly dark guy manages to snap a beautiful gajala as his wife, is a story within a story, and could have easily been removed and shortened the movie to a manageable 90 minutes.

I agree with this except for the last bit "and could have easily been removed and shortened the movie to a manageable 90 minutes." According to me this was the best 90 minutes of the movie :) I just Love the acting of Pasupathi and once again he has done a great job here! The song 'இப்பவே இப்பவே பார்க்கணும் இப்பவே' is like the soft touch of a feather! Kindly permit me to attach it here - ‪Ippove Ippove ( Raman Thediya Sithai )‬‏ - YouTube

Kind regards

I agree with this except for the last bit "and could have easily been removed and shortened the movie to a manageable 90 minutes." According to me this was the best 90 minutes of the movie :) I just Love the acting of Pasupathi and once again he has done a great job here! The song 'இப்பவே இப்பவே பார்க்கணும் இப்பவே' is like the soft touch of a feather! Kindly permit me to attach it here - ‪Ippove Ippove ( Raman Thediya Sithai )‬‏ - YouTube

Kind regards

Noooo. I disagree! I loved that bit. If I was Gajala (hell, even I as myself) I would have fallen for him (Pasupathi not Cheran!) anytime. Everytime :). Other than that, I must say I loved the film. Loved Cheran and the girls. Cheran is such an amazing, sensitive film maker. I never knew till K mama mentioned, that Cheran was Muslim.

மொழி

மொழி

saw this movie as recommended strongly by mrs K :)

this is jothika's movie. proves that she is not just a pretty face. good to see that one does not be endowed with a physique like katrina kaif to do well in the tamil moviedom.

as a deaf dumb girl, jothika carries the movie. her portrayal is not only realistic, but draws your heart out, whether it be an obstinate lass, a proud working girl or (in the end) a penitent lover.

the last few minutes are the best. i have never seen so feeling and unique a proposal. silent all along. when jothika, first attracts prithviraj's attention by playing the musical clock, then gives him back the soap violin that she had carved for him, then the allegory to the moon face, her touching of the heart seeking his forgiveness, then proposing to him, and lastly, telling him that she loves him.

all done without any words exchanged. all in sign language. i cried.

மிடுக்கு சொடி முறுக்கு these are words that i use to describe prithviraj. the closest that we have such in a tamil actor in vikram, with surya coming second. but none of them have prithvi's carriage. the man can kill someone with just his moustache, let alone his looks.

the role here in this movie, as a sensitive musician, is directly in contrast to his dashing looks, and goes well with the theme of the movie.

prakashraj plays an able second fiddle. the two men between them share the lead male role, and form a good yin and yang. good chemistry.

there is a side story involving ms bhaskar, as a dad who lost his son, in an accident, and for whom time froze at that point instant. there is no relevance to the flow of the movie, and could have been editted out without affecting the storyline.

as one who has witnessed a few deaths through lorry crashes, within family and friends, i can understand the hurt. a few years ago, one of my high school classmates' mother calls me up, and on hearing my voice, says that it was like hearing her son's voice. her son, my best friend, had died tragically some 25 years earlier. parents never get over the death of their children; this is not meant to happen.

once again i like the portrayal of the woman. she is young, pretty, independent, with a mindset of her own, high values and expectations. not to be pitied, or tolerated or accommodated. she is a human, may be deaf and dumb, but in her self esteem, she is as much or more than her fully gifted counterparts.

jothika does this role well. too bad, she stopped acting after marriage. i guess, there exists still double standards for women in tamil movie industry. it is ok for surya to act, but not the spouse. too bad.

kudos to prakashraj for producing such a movie.

Last edited:
Dear Amala

I loved that bit. If I was Gajala (hell, even I as myself) I would have fallen for him (Pasupathi not Cheran!) anytime. Everytime
smile.png

Excellent apt remark! Because I am married now I can only say that If I was Gajala I would have fallen for Pasupathi :)

Kind regards

Dear Kunjuppu

I enjoyed your review about 'Mozhi' as much as I enjoyed the movie itself! The only disappointment for me was that there was no mention about the good comedy of that movie in your review!

The comedy in that movie is a very decent one and does not involve vulgar or stupid/silly jokes or dialogues that is the norm in many movies! There were many scenes in 'Mozhi' where we had to pause the movie in order to finish laughing! I liked this particular line by Prakashraj - 'பட்ஜெட் மாதிரி துண்டு விழுந்திருச்சு'!

Kind regards

Dear Kunjuppu

I enjoyed your review about 'Mozhi' as much as I enjoyed the movie itself! The only disappointment for me was that there was no mention about the good comedy of that movie in your review!

The comedy in that movie is a very decent one and does not involve vulgar or stupid/silly jokes or dialogues that is the norm in many movies! There were many scenes in 'Mozhi' where we had to pause the movie in order to finish laughing! I liked this particular line by Prakashraj - 'பட்ஜெட் மாதிரி துண்டு விழுந்திருச்சு'!

Kind regards

re mozhi ..

valli,

i would go along with you. the dialogue was excellent with built in comedy. there was really no need for a professional comedian or a side story attached to the main theme.

again, brahmanandam, as the building secretary provides a little extra but this too could have been editted out. nobody would have been wiser.

i guess our tamil audience need the 2 1/2 + hours of entertainment, no matter what.

btw i liked the songs 'kaatrin mozhi' & 'kannaal pesum penne'

Last edited:
I have seen back to back to female centred movies – ‘raaman thediya seethai’ and ‘mozhi’.

In both these movies, the male figures are in their 30s, well settled in their jobs. They are not the usual college going carefree kaalais of many other movies.

Also, in both movies, there is this search for brides. What is interesting, is their attitudes towards finding a spouse. It appears to be a mature, matter of fact, and very sophisticated approach.

In raaman, cheran, goes through an arranged marriage structure. Still there is more involvement with the girl, and eventually, he finds his own. Since his approach is through elders, I would imagine that the girls belong to the same caste.

In mozhi, it is an urban setting and no caste is mentioned. We do not even meet the parents of the two guys. prakashraj marries a Christian widow in a church, and brushes off any reference to religion. The path to marriage is quick and smooth for him.

Prithviraj’s path is more tortuous. Not only does he get attracted to a deaf dumb girl, but also incidentally a girl with an ‘attitude’. He takes the trouble to learn sign language, which itself is a remarkable thing. I wonder how many guys in real life would fall in love with a handicap person? Without any pity or sympathy? Jothika’s biggest beef was that she did not want sympathy or pity. I think that is fair, though in real life don’t we use the word, ஊமைக்கு வாழ்வு கொடுத்தான் .

Something interesting too – the process of falling in love – with the light bulb flashing and bells ringing. Does that happen in real life too?

Folks:

I just started to see Siddarth acting "180" (Latest Movies | Watch Tamil Movies Online)... Any idea how good or bad it is?

I will write about it very soon!

Cheers.

Well Folks:

I finished seeing "180".. the meaning of the title I believe is "Life Gets Turned Upside Down - 180 Degrees".

Story slowly meanders... this young newly married Doctor in San Francisco (Siddarth) suddenly finds out that he is hit with a terminal cancer - Pancreatic Cancer..his wonderful life shatters into pieces - his lovely wife goes bananas... Out of real love for her, he leaves her, goes to India - visiting Kasi and then to Chennai where another girl falls in love with him.

He leaves her, she meets with an accident and he helps her.. till the end, she doesn't know that he is dying and he lives one day at a time. Finally, he goes to live in Brazil - he finds his joy in playing soccer with small kids...

This is a very heavy theme and many people just can't cope with this.

Many Believers in God would ask why good people like Siddarth gets terminal cancer?

Siddarth is from a traditional family which believes in God and happiness in life.

As a Non-Believer in God, my answer is that random things - good and bad things - happen to ALL the people all the time; it doesn't matter whether you believe in God or not... As I have said elsewhere, just live a good meaningful life as long as you live... if Death comes and takes you, so be it....why to cry and sob?

I give 2.5 out of 5 stars for this movie.... a Tragedy. Not for the faint hearts!

Cheers.

Last edited:
Fire

Another interesting (albeit controversial?) movie by Deepa Mehta (as a part of her trilogy of Earth, Fire and Water) is Fire (1996). You can watch the entire movie in youtube - if you have patience
Here is a link http://youtu.be/VlzdOqI3kZg

The IMDB site is Fire (1996) - IMDb

I enjoyed watching all the three of them. Water has already been reviewed in this site. My preference was for Earth (for historical reasons). Fire is about pressures faced by women in middle class Indian society.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back