• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Mouna - a Fast For the Mind

Mouna - a Fast For the Mind by Swami Prabodhananda Saraswati

Have you ever stopped to think about the superabundance of stimulation, ideas and objects which accost our minds every day?

We collect beautiful carpets, books and even other people, and then suffer from mental indigestion.

Yoga provides an opportunity to unload the mind of all the useless items it has accumulated. Through the practice of yoga we can fast the mind just as we fast the body, and in the process purify our entire being.

One of the best practices for purifying the mind is mouna, or silence. During mouna, one fasts the mind from its usual heavy diet of continual conversation, interaction and stimulation.

In this way mental energy is freed, and can be applied to self-investigation and inner communication.

Observance of mouna is also a discipline, a sadhana, which increases self-control and willpower. Control of the tongue is a major step towards control of the mind.

There are varying degrees of mouna.

In karna mouna, or control of speech, other forms of communication, such as note writing, gesturing and eye contact, are still permitted.

However, when there is total withdrawal from all external communication, this is kastha mouna.

Eventually all doubts are cleared from the mind, and the illusory character of the world with all its gunas is realized. This state is known as susupti mouna

The highest form of mouna, when all thoughts are completely annihilated, is called maha mouna.
Mouna is a very flexible technique. You don't need to sit; you don't need a special place to practise it; you don't even need to stop your normal activities. It is an experience that you can try either by yourself or in the presence of others.

Mouna should be approached with a positive attitude and a clear sense of purpose. Only tension and frustration will result if it is done out of force or compulsion. However, if you experience some turmoil arising during the practice, don't worry. It is a natural process of purification taking place on the mental plane.

As the negative samskaras within us are being exhausted, they rise to the surface of the mind, creating momentary disturbances.

When this occurs, we should try to maintain some self-awareness and discipline in order to prevent these disturbances from throwing us off balance.
However, in the beginning, if we get very angry, nervous or depressed during mouna, it is wise to limit the practice to only half a day.

A Small story

Mouna is also very useful for transmuting negative expression into divine qualities.

Once there was a man in the ashram with a very violent temper.

Swamiji told him to practise mouna. After spending a few months in silence, he became a shining personality, emanating love and working very hard.

Through the practice of mouna he was able to redirect the energy lost in anger in more positive directions.

The regular practice of mouna changes a person's whole pattern of communication.

His speech becomes more direct, concentrated and clear. When he does choose to speak, his brief words carry great power and meaning.

He is able to command the total attention of his listeners, and they are able to hear the deeper truths underlying his words.

If you find the practice of mouna agreeable, once a year you can arrange a more extreme rest for the mind and embark on a ten day silent retreat,

The benefits of such a longer retreat are truly remarkable. However, during a long retreat, it is important to keep a good balance of physical work, meditation, a little study and relaxation. Of course, the best idea would be to join ashram life for a period of time.

In this way you get the opportunity to practise karma yoga and simple living, and all the useless mental baggage overloading your mind will spontaneously

Thanks
N Jayalaskhmi

Hi Jayalakshmi,

Sorry have to disagree with you. I am not trying to discourage you from posting, but let me give you an alternate view. So keep posting.

In short, one should "Never ever change the natural state of our mind".

1. Meditation, Mounam - Silence of the mind, Mind techniques, are all "Not Natural", hence they can and will impact the human mind and body,

2. In this Karmabhomi, we are designed to suffer and also find happiness through the range of emotions - Fear, Pain, Anger, Hate, Happiness,Love, etc. So it is natural for the mind to go through these range of emotions.

Overcoming or building resilience will only lead to more sufferings. For eg, the coward suffers needlessly everyday on "minor imagined issues", but the brave will experience far "bigger real issues" in life. So being meek, weak or coward in the Karmabhomi is natural and our karmic sins are exhausted by this process of sufferings.

3. No study has been done on life long impact of these mediation, Mounam, mind techniques. Hence it should NoT be tried by anyone,

4. Having said this, I am not found against our Rishis who spent all their efforts in find truth and the suprmee being Brahman. I believe in our religion and all its tenets.

However remember, our Rishis never worried about any and all health impacts, they were only focused on merging with the brahman !!

In one of the study in the USA, one lady committed suicide due to extreme anxeity resulting from a 10 day Virasana meditation in a Hindu resort !!

Hence we cannot advocate to people to use these mind techniques without sufficiently casting them on the side effects.

Read my earlier post on this,

ஆச்சரியம் எது.
நாம் காணும் இவ்வளவு பெரிய உடல் ஒரு துளி சுக்கிலத்திருந்து எப்படி உண்டாகிறது.

ஒன்பது துவாரமுள்ள இந்த உடலில் மூச்சு போய் வந்து கொண்டிருப்பது மூலம் உயிர் தரிப்பது எப்படி.
ஒரு சிறு பொரி நெருப்பில் இந்த உடலே எரிந்து சாம்பல் ஆவது எப்படி.

அகண்டமான பிருத்வியில் ( திரோதானம்) பிறப்பு (சிருஷ்டி) வளர்ப்பு (ஸ்திதி) இறப்பு (ஸம்ஹாரம்) இம்மூன்றும் முடிந்து அகண்ட வெளியான ஆகாயத்தில் ( அருளல்) லயமாகிறது.

இதை எல்லாம் செய்வது ஒரு சக்தி. இதை தெய்வம் என்றும் சொல்லலாம்.
இந்த சக்தி நம் உள்ளேயே உறைகிறது. இதை நாம் அறிய முற்படவேண்டும்.

இந்த உடலிலுள்ள ஒளிரும் ஞானத்தின் மெளனத்தை , அண்டத்தின் அழகை அனைத்தையும் அளாவி நிற்கும் அழிவில்லாத ஒன்றை ஆன்மா எங்கிறோம்.

அனைத்தையும் விட ஆன்மாவே அருமையுடையது; இனிமை உடையது எங்கிறது ப்ருஹதாரண்ய உப நிஷத். திரு நாவுகரசரும் என்னை விட எனக்கு இனியவர்கள்
வேறு யாரும் இல்லை .ஆனால் என்னுள்ளே உள்ள ஈசன் என்னை காட்டிலும் இனியவன் எங்கிறார்.

உலத்திலுமுட் பொருளாக விளங்கி நிற்கும் பரம்பொருளே நம் உள்ளத்தில் உள்பொருளாக நிகழ்கிறது என்பதை உணர் ந்து , அதனை புரிந்து கொள்வதுதான் , நம்மை நாமே அறிந்து கொள்வது ஆகும்.

ஐம் புலன் களும் அடங்கி மநதிலே அமைதி நிலவி , அறிவு ஒரு முனைப்பட்டு இருக்கும் போது ஆன்ம ஒளி தெளிவாக புலப்படுகிறது. என்கிறது கடோப நிஷத்.

அனைத்திலும் அமைந்து விளங்கும் ப்ரும்மம் தான் , நம் உடலிலும் ஆன்மாவாக ஒளி வீசி நிற்கிறது. ப்ரும்மத்தினை பற்றி இந்த ஞானத்தை பெற்றவர்கள் பிரும்மமாகவே ஆகி விடுகின்றனர் என் கிறது முண்டகோபனிஷத். இத தான் ஸ்ரீ வித்யா உபாசனையில் உபாசகன் தேவியாகவே ஆகி விடுகின்றான் என்று சொல்ல படுகிறது.

இந்த இறைமையை எப்படி அனுபவிப்பது. ஜபம் செய்து கொண்டிருந்தால் மட்டும் போதாது. எந்த ஜபம் செய்ய படுகிறதோ அப்போது அந்த தெய்வத்தை பற்றி நாம் அறிந்து கொண்டதெல்லாம் நம் மனதில் எழ வேன்டும். இறைமை பண்புகளை நினைக்கும்போது இறைமையினை அனுபவித்ததாகிறது.

ஸ்வேதாஸ்வர உபநிஷத் நம் அகத்தில் ஒளிரும் ஆன்ம ஒளியினை ,பரத்தில் ஒளிரும் பிரும்ம ஒளியுடன் ஒன்றாக்க வேண்டும் எங்கிறது. இவ்விரண்டும் ஒன்றே என்று உணர்ந்தால் போதும். அந்த உணர்விலேயே அவை ஒன்றாகி விடுகிறது.
கண் காது மூலம் இன்பத்தை அனுபவிக்க ஆதாரமாக உள்ளது ஆன்மா. இந்த ஆன்மா இன்ப வடிவானது. இறைவனை தியானிக்கும் போது ஏற்படும் இன்பம் ஆன்மாவினால் தான் உணர முடியும்.

இந்த ஆனந்தத்தை அனுபவிப்பது இந்த உடலா, உயிறா ஆன்மாவா. இந்த ஆனந்தம் ஆன்மாவிடமிருந்து வருகிறது. இதை மறைபொருளாக இருந்து அனுபவிப்பது ஆத்மாவே.

ஆதி சங்கரரின் வேதாந்த பேரிகை சொல்கிறது :-மனிதன் சரீரத்தினுடைய பஞ்ச கரணங்கள் மூலம் எந்த ஆனந்தத்தை அனுபவிக்கிறானோ அந்த ஆனந்தமே ஆத்மா தான். இந்த ஆனந்தம் பெற சாந்தி ஏற்பட வேண்டும். சாந்தி என்றால் மனம் சலனம் இல்லாமல் இருப்பது. சலனமும் சாந்தியும் எதிர் நிலைகள். உண்மையான நிலையான பேரின்பமாகிய சத்சித் எங்கின்ற ஆனந்தத்தை அளிக்கும் தாய் சாந்தி.
கண்ணன் தன் கீதையில் இந்த சாந்தி இல்லாதவனுக்கு சுகம் எங்கிருந்து வரும் எங்கிறார்.

ஆதி சங்கரர் கூறுகிறார் :- இறைவனின் திருவருளும், குருவருளும் இருந்து புலன் அடக்கமும் இருந்தால் சாந்தி நிலை ஏற்படும் எங்கிறார். திருவள்ளுவரும் இதை சொல்கிறார். இன்பத்துள் இன்பம் விழையான் தான் துன்பம் துன்பத்துள் வருதல் இலன் . இங்கு துன்பம் என்பது அமைதி இன்மை.

இன்பத்தை நாடி செல்லும் போது தான் துன்பம் ஏற்படுகிறது. ஊர் மேய்வது தான் உள்ளத்தின் பொல்லாத்தனம். உள்ளம் அடங்க அடங்க அமைதி ஏற்படும். இந்திரியங்களால் ஏற்படும் இன்பம் , ஆரம்பத்தில் இன்பமாக இருந்து பின்பு துன்பமாகும். ஆத்ம ஞான அடிப்படையில் வரும் இன்பம் பேரின்பம்.

யோகம் என்றால் சேர்க்கை. பல பொருட்களுடன் நாம் வாழ்க்கயில் சேர வேண்டியிருக்கிறது. ஆனால் இந்த சேர்க்கை நிரந்தரமானதில்லை.அதனால் மன நிலை அலை பாய்கிறது. முடிவான ஒரு பொருளுடன் என்னாளும் சேர்ந்து விட்டோம் என்றால் அதுவே யோகம். அஞ்ஞான மன இருளால் பல விகாரம் தோன்றுகிறது. அதை ஆத்ம விசாரத்தால் தாண்டி ஒன்றினை ஒன்றுவதே யோகம்.

யோகம் உள்ளிருந்தே மலர்வது. செயலை இறைவனுக்கு அர்ப்பணிக்கும் வேள்வியாக செய்வதே யோகம். இதையே பகவான் கீதையில் யோக: கர்வஸுகெளஸம் எங்கிறார்.

நமது மனதிற்கு மூலமாக இருப்பது பரமாத்மா ஒன்று தான். மனதை இந்த பரமாத்மாவிடம் திருப்புவதற்காகவே சுவாசத்தை அடக்குகிறார்கள். ஏனென்றால் எண்ணம் உதிக்கும் வேர் எதுவோ அதுவே சுவாசத்தின் வேரும். எனவே சுவாசத்தை கட்டுபடுத்தினால் மனம் அடங்கி விடுகிறது.

ஐம்புலன் களையும் ,மனதையும், அறிவையும் ஒரு நிலைபடுத்தி யோகம் செய்வது சாத்தியம் என் கிறது கடோபனிஷத். அஷ்டாங்க யோகம் மனிதன் தன் நிலையிலிருந்து தேவ நிலை அடைவதற்கான படிகள். யோகத்திற்க்கு உடலை கருவியாக்கி கொண்டு உயிரையும், உள்ளத்தையும் மனதையும் பண்படுத்தி உள்ளத்தினாலாகிய ஆத்மனை அடைந்து இன்புருதலே. மனது நிற்கும்போது சுவாசம் நிற்கிறது. சுவாசம் அடங்கினால் மனதும் அடங்கும்.

யோகம் இருவகைபடும். ஆதாரம் ; நிராதாரம். நம் உடலில் பல ஆதாரங்கள் உள்ளன. அவற்றில் உறையும் மூர்த்தங்களை அடிக்கடி நினைக்க ஆன்ம உணர்வு ஏற்படும். இது ஆதார யோகம். இந்த நிலை வந்த பின் இந்த அருள் சக்தியை உள்ளக்கண் கொண்டு உணர முடியும். அதன் பின் தான் வேறு அச்சக்தி வேறு என்ற நினைவு நீங்கும். முக்திக்கு உரிய மோனம் சித்திக்கும். இதயத்தில் இறை நிலை நிலைத்து நிற்கும்.

" Silence means it should be absolute silence (kashta mouna). One should be withdrawn at least two hours dally. Observe absolute silence a couple of hours daily. That is control of vak indriya (organ of speech).
Two hours is the absolute minimum
. Greater still is the need of mental silence—inner silence."

By keeping mouna virta, thoughts have mature and steady.

An aspirant is asked to give up company and observe mouna, because on account of raga, he will multiply acquaintance; on account of dvesha, he will incur the displeasure of others by uttering some unpleasant words. There is a sword in the tongue. Words are like arrows. They injure the feelings of others. By observing mouna and giving up company, one can control the vak-indriya and remove raga. Then the mind will become calm.

There are fifteen doshas that arise from company. An aspirant should, therefore, preferably remain alone during the period of Sadhana. The doshas of company are:
(1) Misunderstanding,
(2) Ill-feeling,
(3) Displeasure,
(4) raga-dvesha,
(5) Jealousy,
(6) Vampirism,
(7) Attachment,
(8) Mental sharing of pain of another man,
(9) Criticism of others,
(10) anatma topics,
(11) Habit of talking,
(12) bahirmukha vritti,
(13) Idea and samskara of duality,
(14) Slavish mentality and weak will, and
(15) Contempt.

Can we really be silent?
I dont think so.
I can shut my vocal apparatus but I would find it next to impossible to shut my mind.

I have been listening to a lovely song daily..singing it too multiple times a day..now that song plays non stop in my mind..when i wake up too its playing on its own in my brain.

My mind isnt silent.
Right now I can hear the sound of birds tweeting..can I shut down the sound?
Nope.

Yesterday the neigbor was baking some cake and the smell reminded me of a cake I had eaten as a child.
So my brain wasnt silent..it retrieved the data stored when I was a child.

For me I feel..my senses are there for my mind and body to function.

If we silence of all senses..can we survive?
I dont think so.

Btw..why should I fight my own senses?
Its futile to pay so much attention to our senses by forcing it to shut down.

If we are confident with our very existence..we do not have to fight our mind..body and senses.

I am reminded of what President Obama said about Masculinity...that is if one is confident about his masculinity one does not need 8 women twerking around him.

Likewise..I feel we should be confident with our senses ..let it work like a machine( yantra) for us...dont over use it or under use it.

Shri Gopalan Sir,
Pranams ! I am responding in English so others can follow as well.

To clarify, I absolutely agree with all your quotes from Gitam, Advaitam and Upanishads, etc.. Very we'll articulated and said !

My key difference to OP is - " the rigorous penance or meditation should be done by the sanyasis, lifetime brahmacharis only", since the health impacts of these are not known. That too given the recent reports in USA where the lady did 10 days of complete silence".

Our grand parents or great grand parents did NOT practice "extended meditation, and extended mounam vritam " in their lives and neither did they teach us to do it. Also it is NOT part of our daily, monthly, and yearly rituals, customs, and traditions. At least, this is how it was in my extended family.

My view - anything that it NOT part of our daily rituals needs to be studied and understood from a medical perspective before we can recommend to everyone.

You are undoubtly an expert in this, please feel free to correct me !

JK.

Latest ads

Back