• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Morning Kaapi - what's your pick?

Which brand of coffee do you mostly relate to

• Total voters
hi members, I am now 67+. During my childhood, my father used to get the coffee seeds from Indian Coffee House, at Trichur. Then, mother will roast it and grind it with the very old hand grinding machine (made in UK). Then the coffee is prepared for my athai, paatti, parents, chithappa and chithi. Since we had cow in our house, milk was abundant and we brothers were allowed to drink only milk in those days. After completing my schooling, I left for Calcutta and stayed with my Athai and athimbar and there I started the habit of taking very strong coffee, which I continue till date. In Calcutta also we used to get the seeds from Indian Coffee house and give it to a store, where they get it roast and grind it. Then slowly we shifted to Cothas, and some other brands, but nothing was giving the real aroma and taste of coffee. We were in Calcutta for five decades and somehow managed to get maximum strong coffee from whichever brand is available, sometimes need to add chicory also to increase the thickness. For last two years, we have shifted to Bangalore to join our son and heard about Padma coffee of Trichy. We are using it for the time being. It is OK. But it is the first thing we require in the early morning otherwise the whole day becomes drowsy.

After trying so many brands and their mixing combination for 100% pure coffee (Since Chicory doesn't suit me) I Have ended up with "Nescafe Classic" and using it for the past 15 years ! Thanks to Nescafe its taste !

None of these come close to Cothas. It is a brand in Karnataka and quality has unchanged for decades.

Also instant coffees in this list is an insult to coffee.

I hope I did not offend anyone

After the morning alarm, it is the Suda Suda Kaapi that is our next wake up call, especially in our Brahmin community. There are lots of brands out there, yet a few traditional ones are not just giving stiff competition to the baristas, but also thriving.
As a coffee lover, I'm looking at researching a few brands, especially the ones we use at home, and thought it best to start from here.

If there was one brand of coffee that you swear by (especially South Indian, Tamilnadu or Chennai) which one would it be?
My preference is Narusu's . Love it to the core.

Geetha coffee mylapore. A mix of peberry and A in the ratio of 50:50 finely ground freshly without chicory is the best coffee combination. This coffee decotion must be made using traditional coffee filter to get aromatic coffee.

After the morning alarm, it is the Suda Suda Kaapi that is our next wake up call, especially in our Brahmin community. There are lots of brands out there, yet a few traditional ones are not just giving stiff competition to the baristas, but also thriving.
As a coffee lover, I'm looking at researching a few brands, especially the ones we use at home, and thought it best to start from here.

If there was one brand of coffee that you swear by (especially South Indian, Tamilnadu or Chennai) which one would it be?

While I love to have an authentic Southern Indian Filter Coffee. Being Mahaperiyava's devotee I try my best to stay away from all of these. Please see the below 2 links about Mahaperiyava says about drinking coffee and tea.

In my childhood days i used to drink Narasus coffee. From 2009 to 2016 i stayed in Bangalore, there you can get ultimate coffee in small hotels as well as big hotels like Adigas, Kamat, etc., The coffee taste will lasts 10 mins after drinking it. The coffee Powder called "Bayers" is My all time favorite one and "Cothas" also good.

Recently I found Ready made coffee decoction in hotel "Hot Chips" in chennai outlets costs around Rs.40/- is too good. You can serve 5 coffee out of that ready made sachet.

The amount of sugar decides the taste of the coffee.

Thanks Admin for the opportunity to participate in this survey

Gopi

[/QUOTE

Many add chicory to their coffee. Specially the so called Kumbakonam degree coffee. Thia is an insult & affront. The poll should include chicory Y/N option.
Second, all the popular outlets offer choice of blends. Leo offers House Blend - it is priced lower than Peabury / Plantation blends. In terms of aroma & liquor, Leo House Blend from the outlet on South Mada Street Mylapore is arguably the best.

A Tambrahm without coffee is like a marriage without thali. It is an all round elixir, plays multiple roles and is an integral part of our family tradition and I only broke it briefly for 5 years. My mom was an exceptional coffee drinker who would make coffee as a universal medicine, food, socializing agent and what not. There are times when I return after a late night flight, she will get my energy drink just before sleep. I avoided coffee in the last 10 years, scrupulously, to save nerves, but felt that my sons will miss a great tradition and brought it back again. For them it is anytime, anywhere, any number of times drink and goes well with all computer games.
Though it is addictive, it really fires your CNS and lets your mind to do all the magic. Many business deals start in south with a toast on coffee. We can actually put a GI tag calling it as South Indian filter coffee. I have tried every brand, including all foreign brands but our own native brands like Coffee day and Leo Coffee house blend range appear OK, for a normal gravity filter. Earlier 3 decades back, coffee board used to sell coffee on ration and I was a regular buyer at both Chennai and Delhi. They had subsidized coffee raw bean, but closed that venture. Unlike the present price of Rs430 per Kg, it was sold at Rs12/-
Till recently Kameswari Mess at Station road West Mambalam, Chennai (recently reopened) has started selling coffee again. There was another Kumbakonam coffee near Ashok pillar which used to sell coffee alone but it closed down as it could not compete with neighbouring Saravana Bhavan.

Our favorite is Raja coffee in our area. But after moving to US , our Mami has banned it at home ,so have to drink Starbucks or Peets occasionally.

Very good topic. Really we love coffee like Bengal loves tea.My brand is ALIVE which is good mixture of Robusta seeds and chicory.In Kolkata we are living for years,we used to get seed roasted and then grinded and then coffee,that was super and now as grinding stores have closed we are buying ALIVE which is close to it.

I dont drink coffee but in Malaysia famous brands are Nescafe, Ipoh White Coffee and Ali Cafe.

Then there is Coffee with Tongkat Ali( Ali's stick) which is an Aphrodisiac...so its much more than just Kaaaaapi!..this kaaaaaaapi ..keeps you haaaaapy for a long long time.

We have been all over the world, craving for the famed filter coffee of Bangalore. To me the best coffee is Coathas (in market since 1949), when decoction is filtered at home. Once out of home, do not miss the coffee at Hotel Indraprastha in Vijayanagar, Bangalore.
Though Cuban and Jamaican Coffee are rated high by locals, we found that though the aroma is good, their taste is no match for our South Indian filter coffee.

காபி பொடி சக்கம்மா

Soon enough, Sakamma Coffee Works became a household name in Bangalore. In fact, literary giants of the city like Masti Venkatesha Iyengar and DV Gundappa even began making references to its coffee powder in their creations!

My Mom used to prepare coffee from Bru and i enjoyed it till recently, when i visited Neliampathy , Kerala. I purchased organic coffee and tea and I was wondering if it was original and would taste any better than the usual.
But it turned out to be promising and more than satisfying !
The place is Sitarkund and where Sita was supposed to be workshipping Rama with water from nearby waterfall.

Being in Bangalore, I get Cotha's Coffee which has made me addict. Even my relatives from places like Kallidai kurichi, Dindigul buy a few packets and take it to their place Nowadays it is available in Chennai also, why don't you try?

Cothas coffee is my pick. My extended family too love it. Available in Chennai widely now and in Big Basket as well. Used to do Leo coffee and Coffee Day mix earlier.

for more than 2 decades enjoyed leo pb spl coffee powder (without chicory) - i used get from chennai to kolkata.
now after moving to gurugram since 2014 after my retirement, i was buying leo houseblend but not to my taste - even i was ordered kumbakonam deg coffee by courier - not to my liking - i tried all the brands -half kg each available from the southindan shops - not felt happy.
recently in 2018, i happened to taste 'southern aroma' coffee powder. not bad - 75/100 - fine - not bad monrings !
i make my decoction - kalli chottu - it will fall down in the tumbler !

u may try it once
best wishes

Instant coffee occassionally is ok. but morning hot cup is always filter coffee. in chennai i have tried Leo, Cothas,Coffeeday, some local make also. the fresh aroma and coffee kick is noticeable for first 2-3 days. but after that it is the usual average taste. having said this a good coffee needs lot of things to get it right. a good fresh milk from a good breed of cow or buffallo. right boiling of the milk and temperature. the roasting and texture of coffee seed. right proportion of chicory and right level of mixing the sugar. tastes and preference often differ individually. i have wondered many times when my friend takes 3 spoonful of sugar in his coffee. in some coffeeday outlet they serve a king size coffee which is almost 350ml and in contrast a street side tea shop may give a coffee for just 75ml. in one famous hotel in guntur i have seen coffee which is 80% decoction and only 20% milk. whereas kumbakonam coffee is made with almost 70% milk content. in almost 90% of India other than TN,Karnataka it is only instant coffee that is preferred. so coffee lovers must eventually be ready to get surprises as they keep moving.

Sir,
This topic even though seems to be general, Brahmins use to talk about the brands available on the market and it's taste.
During my childhood, I usually get up in the morning, hearing the sound of coffee grinding machine. My mother used to grind coffee powder rotating the handle.

Nowadays, we can not see such a machine in outer homes. The coffee flavour is also not good like the one I had during my childhood. My mother never used chickery.

Latest ads

Back