• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Morning Kaapi - what's your pick?

Which brand of coffee do you mostly relate to

• Total voters

indianassault

After the morning alarm, it is the Suda Suda Kaapi that is our next wake up call, especially in our Brahmin community. There are lots of brands out there, yet a few traditional ones are not just giving stiff competition to the baristas, but also thriving.
As a coffee lover, I'm looking at researching a few brands, especially the ones we use at home, and thought it best to start from here.

If there was one brand of coffee that you swear by (especially South Indian, Tamilnadu or Chennai) which one would it be?
Our favorite is Raja coffee in our area. But after moving to US , our Mami has banned it at home ,so have to drink Starbucks or Peets occasionally.

Very good topic. Really we love coffee like Bengal loves tea.My brand is ALIVE which is good mixture of Robusta seeds and chicory.In Kolkata we are living for years,we used to get seed roasted and then grinded and then coffee,that was super and now as grinding stores have closed we are buying ALIVE which is close to it.

renuka

I dont drink coffee but in Malaysia famous brands are Nescafe, Ipoh White Coffee and Ali Cafe.

Then there is Coffee with Tongkat Ali( Ali's stick) which is an Aphrodisiac...so its much more than just Kaaaaapi!..this kaaaaaaapi ..keeps you haaaaapy for a long long time.

We have been all over the world, craving for the famed filter coffee of Bangalore. To me the best coffee is Coathas (in market since 1949), when decoction is filtered at home. Once out of home, do not miss the coffee at Hotel Indraprastha in Vijayanagar, Bangalore.
Though Cuban and Jamaican Coffee are rated high by locals, we found that though the aroma is good, their taste is no match for our South Indian filter coffee.

Janaki Jambunathan

காபி பொடி சக்கம்மா

Soon enough, Sakamma Coffee Works became a household name in Bangalore. In fact, literary giants of the city like Masti Venkatesha Iyengar and DV Gundappa even began making references to its coffee powder in their creations!

Jaymohan

My Mom used to prepare coffee from Bru and i enjoyed it till recently, when i visited Neliampathy , Kerala. I purchased organic coffee and tea and I was wondering if it was original and would taste any better than the usual.
But it turned out to be promising and more than satisfying !
The place is Sitarkund and where Sita was supposed to be workshipping Rama with water from nearby waterfall.

Being in Bangalore, I get Cotha's Coffee which has made me addict. Even my relatives from places like Kallidai kurichi, Dindigul buy a few packets and take it to their place Nowadays it is available in Chennai also, why don't you try?

2ramki

Cothas coffee is my pick. My extended family too love it. Available in Chennai widely now and in Big Basket as well. Used to do Leo coffee and Coffee Day mix earlier.

for more than 2 decades enjoyed leo pb spl coffee powder (without chicory) - i used get from chennai to kolkata.
now after moving to gurugram since 2014 after my retirement, i was buying leo houseblend but not to my taste - even i was ordered kumbakonam deg coffee by courier - not to my liking - i tried all the brands -half kg each available from the southindan shops - not felt happy.
recently in 2018, i happened to taste 'southern aroma' coffee powder. not bad - 75/100 - fine - not bad monrings !
i make my decoction - kalli chottu - it will fall down in the tumbler !

u may try it once
best wishes

ksradhak

Instant coffee occassionally is ok. but morning hot cup is always filter coffee. in chennai i have tried Leo, Cothas,Coffeeday, some local make also. the fresh aroma and coffee kick is noticeable for first 2-3 days. but after that it is the usual average taste. having said this a good coffee needs lot of things to get it right. a good fresh milk from a good breed of cow or buffallo. right boiling of the milk and temperature. the roasting and texture of coffee seed. right proportion of chicory and right level of mixing the sugar. tastes and preference often differ individually. i have wondered many times when my friend takes 3 spoonful of sugar in his coffee. in some coffeeday outlet they serve a king size coffee which is almost 350ml and in contrast a street side tea shop may give a coffee for just 75ml. in one famous hotel in guntur i have seen coffee which is 80% decoction and only 20% milk. whereas kumbakonam coffee is made with almost 70% milk content. in almost 90% of India other than TN,Karnataka it is only instant coffee that is preferred. so coffee lovers must eventually be ready to get surprises as they keep moving.

After the morning alarm, it is the Suda Suda Kaapi that is our next wake up call, especially in our Brahmin community. There are lots of brands out there, yet a few traditional ones are not just giving stiff competition to the baristas, but also thriving.
As a coffee lover, I'm looking at researching a few brands, especially the ones we use at home, and thought it best to start from here.

If there was one brand of coffee that you swear by (especially South Indian, Tamilnadu or Chennai) which one would it be?
Sir,
This topic even though seems to be general, Brahmins use to talk about the brands available on the market and it's taste.
During my childhood, I usually get up in the morning, hearing the sound of coffee grinding machine. My mother used to grind coffee powder rotating the handle.

Nowadays, we can not see such a machine in outer homes. The coffee flavour is also not good like the one I had during my childhood. My mother never used chickery.

Janaki Jambunathan

Devotional experiance - Divine Coffee connect with Maha periyava! From Kumbakonam

Sage of Kanchi
இனிமே சங்கரனாவது,கிங்கரனாவது
Mahesh
4 years ago
Periyava_giving_theertham

கும்பகோணத்தில் வசித்து வந்த திரு சதாசிவம் ஒவ்வொருஅனுஷ தினத்தன்றும் காஞ்சியில் பெரியவாள் இருக்கிறாரா என்று உறுதி செய்து கொண்டு தன் பயணத்தை துவங்கி விடுவார்.வேறு எங்கேனும் வெளியூர்களில் முகாமிட்டிருந்தால் அப்போது பயணிக்கமாட்டார்.

அப்படி ஒரு அனுஷதினத்துக்கு முதல் நாள் மாலை….. பழங்கள். கல்கண்டு வாங்கப் போனவருக்கு ஒரு சின்ன அதிர்ச்சி. ஒரு கடையும் காணவில்லை.

இவரின் முகத்தைப் பார்த்த கீரை வியாபாரி “என்ன சாமீ பையும் கையுமா கடைக்குப் பொறப்படறயா..மெட்ராஸ்ல ஏதோ அரசியல் பிரச்னையாம். ஒரு கட்சிக்காரங்க கூட்டமாக திரண்டு வந்து எல்லாக் கடைகளையும் மூடச் சொல்லி உத்தரவு போட்டுட்டு போறாங்க.

“அட ஈஸ்வரா வெளியூருக்கு பஸ்ஸெல்லாம் போறதோ!” என்று ஒரு கேள்வி போட்டார். கடைகளயே பூட்ட வெச்சவங்க பஸ்ஸுகளை போக விடுவாங்களா..

பிறகு மனைவியிடம் “என்ன ஜானகி இப்படி ஆயிடுத்து? நாளைய அனுஷத்திற்கு காஞ்சிபுரம் போக முடியமானு தெரியலயே..ஏன் இந்த சோதனை? என்று கலங்கியவர் மகா ஸ்வாமிகளை மனதுக்குள் நினைத்துப் பிரார்த்தித்துக் கொண்டார். ப்ராப்தம் இருந்தா அங்கே இருப்போம் என்று சொல்லிவிட்டு
வாசலில் இரு பக்கத்தையும் பார்வையால் துழாவிக் கொண்டிருந்தார்.

வாசலில் நின்று கொண்டிருந்த சதாசிவத்தின் அருகே வெள்ளை நிற அம்பாஸடர் கார் ஒன்று வேகமாக வந்து நின்றது.பஞ்சகச்சம் அணிந்து தும்பைப்பூ மாதிரியான வெள்ளை நிறத்தில் சட்டையுடன் விபூதி தரித்த ஒருவர் காரிலிருந்து கீழே இறங்கினார். இறங்கியதைப் பார்த்ததும் சதாசிவ தம்பதிகளுக்கு ஒன்றும் புரியவில்லை.

“சார் நமஸ்காரம்…எம்பேரு சங்கரன்.உள்ளே இருக்கிறது என் மனைவி.தஞ்சாவூர்லேருந்து வந்திண்டிருக்கோம். மனைவிக்கு திடீர்னு தலைவலி. அவளுக்கு நல்ல டிகிரி காபி சாப்பிட்டா சரியாயிடும்.இன்னிக்குன்னு பார்த்தா ஓட்டல் எதுவும் இல்லை. உங்களுக்கு சிரமம் இல்லேன்னா இரண்டு பேருக்கும் ஸ்டாராங்கா காபி போட்டு கொடுக்க முடியுமா?

“தாராளமா..உள்ளே வாங்கோ. காபி என்ன..டிபன் வேணும்னா கூட பண்ணித் தர்றேன்” என்று கனிவாகச் சொன்னார். மணக்கும் காபியைக் குடித்து விட்டு வாயார வாழ்த்தினார்கள். அப்போது சதாசிவம், “இப்போது எதுவரைக்கும் பயணப் பட்டுண்டுண்டிருக்கேள்?” ஒருவேளை சென்னை என்று சொன்னால் தொற்றிக்கொண்டு போகலாமே என்ற ஒரு நப்பாசை.

“நான் காஞ்சிபுரத்துல பெரியவாளைத் தரிசிக்கப் போயிண்டிருக்கேன். ஆறு மாசம் ஆஸ்திரேலியாவில் இருந்துவிட்டு போனவாரம்தான் தஞ்சாவூர் வந்தேன். நாளைக்கு அனுஷமா இருக்கு.நீங்களும் வரேளா? என்று அழைப்பு விடுத்தபோது சதாசிவம் தம்பதிகளுக்கு அடைந்த மகிழ்ச்சிக்கு அளவே இல்லை.

நள்ளிரவு வேளையில் கார் வந்து நிற்பதைப் பார்த்து ஒடோடி வந்தார் மடத்து வாட்ச்மேன். சங்கரன் உடனே அவர்களைப் பார்த்து “உங்களை மடத்து வாசலில் இறக்கி விடுவதற்காகத்தான் இங்கே வந்தேன்.நண்பர் பக்கத்துல இருக்கார்.அவா கிரஹத்துல தங்கிட்டு நாளைக்குக் காத்தால உங்களை வந்து பார்க்கிறேன்.
என்று சொல்லிவிட்டு நகர்ந்தார் சங்கரன்.

காலை மடத்துக்கு அருகே உள்ள கடைகளில் வாங்கிய பழங்கள்,கல்கண்டு,புஷ்பங்கள் போன்றவற்றை ஒரு மூங்கில் தட்டில் எடுத்துக்கொண்டு பஞ்சகச்சம் மற்றும் மடிசார் உடையுடன் பெரியவா தரிசனத்துக்காக காத்துக் கொண்டிருந்தனர் சதாசிவம் தம்பதிகள். சங்கரனை இடை இடையே தேடினார் நன்றி சொல்ல வேண்டும் என்ற அவாவில்.

ஸ்ரீமடத்தின் உதவியாளர் ஒருவர்,சதாசிவத்தின் தோளைத் தொட்டு, “மாமா…கூப்பிட்டுண்டே இருக்கேன்..அப்படி யாரைத் தேடறேள்? பெரியவா உங்களைக் கூப்பிடறா. வாங்கோ எம்பின்னால்” என்று சொல்லிவிட்டு விறுவிறுவென்று நடந்தார். பின் தொடர்ந்தனர் தம்பதிகள்.

“வாப்பா சதாசிவம்..கும்பகோணத்துல உனக்கு பழம்ஏதும் கிடைக்கலையோ? அதான் மடத்து வாசல்லயே வாங்கிண்டு வந்திருக்கே போலிருக்கு” என்று கேட்டபோது ஆடித்தான் போனார் சதாசிவம்.

“ஆமாம் பெரியவா..அங்கே ஏதோ பிரச்னை.கடைகளும் இல்லை..பஸ்ஸும் இல்லை…”

“அதான் சொகுசா ஒரு கார்ல நன்னா தூங்கிண்டே மடத்துக்கு வந்து சேர்ந்துட்டியே…அப்புறம் என்ன…இந்தா” என்று பிரசாதத்தை நீட்டவும் என்ன பதில் சொல்வதென்று தெரியாமல் பிரசாதத்தை வாங்கிக்கொண்டு கண்களில் ஒற்றிக் கொண்டார்.

பிறகு “சங்கரன்னு ஒருத்தர்.. அவர்தான் தன்னோட கார்ல என்னைக் கூட்டிண்டு வந்து நேத்து ராத்திரி இறக்கி விட்டுட்டுப் போனார். அவருக்குத்தான் நன்றி சொல்லணும்”என்றார் குழைவாக.

“மடத்துக்கு வரணும்னு நினைச்சே…வந்துட்டே……இனிமே சங்கரனாவது,கிங்கரனாவது” என்று பெரும் குரல் எடுத்து,சிரிக்க ஆரம்பித்தது அந்த பரபிரம்மம்.

சதாசிவத்துக்கு ஏதோ புரிவது போல் இருந்தது.ஆனால் புரியாதது மாதிரியும் இருந்தது. “பஸ் எல்லாம் ஓட ஆரம்பிச்சுடத்து. மடத்துல போஜனம் பண்ணிட்டு,ஜாக்கிரதையா ஊர் போயிட்டு வா” என்று ஆசிர்வதித்தார் பெரியவா.

நடந்து முடிந்த காட்சிகளின் பிரமிப்பில் இருந்து மீள முடியாமல் வெளியே வந்த சதாசிவம்,நேற்று நள்ளிரவு தான் மடத்து வாசலில் இறங்கியபோது பணியில் இருந்த வாட்ச்மேனைக் கண்டு அருகில் அழைத்து “”ஏம்ப்பா..நேத்து ராத்திரி பன்னிரண்டு மணிக்கு ஒரு வெள்ளை அம்பாஸடர் கார்ல நான் மடத்து வாசல்ல இறங்கின போது ஒரு பெரியவர் வண்டி ஓட்டிண்டு வந்தாரே …அவர் திரும்ப இன்னிக்கு வந்தாரா?” என்று கேட்டார்.

“என்ன சாமீ…..நேத்து ராத்திரியா? எனக்கு டூட்டியே இல்லியே சாமீ…காலையில்தானே நான் வந்திருக்கேன்”

சதாசிவம் மீண்டும் அதிர்ந்தார், “இல்லேப்பா….நேத்து ராத்திரி உன்னைப் பார்த்தேனே….இதே இடத்து வாசல்ல…” என்றார்.

புருவம் உயர்த்தி, “என்ன சாமீ நீங்க…சொன்னதையே திரும்பத் திரும்ப சொல்றீங்க.. நேத்திக்கு ராத்திரி செக்யூரிட்டி டூட்டிக்கு ஆளே இங்கு இல்ல சாமீ” என்று சொல்லிவிட்டுப் போனார்.

சதாசிவத்தின் கண்களில் ஜலம் தளும்பியது. “அப்படி என்றால் …நேற்று இரவு என்னையும் என் மனைவியையும் கும்பகோணத்தில் இருந்து இங்கே கூட்டிக்கொண்டு வந்த சங்கரன் யார்?” என்று மனம் நெகிழ்ந்து அரற்றினார்.சர்வமும் உணர்ந்த சங்கரனாக அவருக்கு மகா பெரியவா ஒரு விநாடி காட்சி தந்து மறைந்தார்,

“பெரியவா,,,” என்று பெரும் குரலெடுத்து அழைத்து அந்த மடத்தின் வாசலில் ….மண் தரையில்…..பெரியவா இருக்கும் திசையை நோக்கி சாஷ்டாங்கமாக நமஸ்கரித்தார் சதாசிவம். கூடவே அவரது மனைவியும்..

Categories: Devotee Experiences
Tags: miracles
Leave a Comment
Sage of Kanchi
Blog at WordPress.com.

Best is Kumbakonam Coffee, 2nd is India Coffee Board or any other Local Coffee Store or Coffee Day.

hi

in our home...we buy coffeee beans and frying/and grinding with our own grinding mechine...

we did for many decades.....now our grinding mechine is idle....becoz ppl are idle too..
I'm much more interested in buying a grinding machine to enjoy that fresh aroma. But, I found buying beans is costlier than buying ground coffee. Is it so?

As somebody who markets Kumbakonam degree coffee myself , I would say that as the best coffee I had ever tasted , got so much of appreciations for the same and supply around 50 Kgs per month as a part of my home needs supply business .. but one of the best coffee's you will taste .. my vote goes for Kumbakonam degree coffee only
Pls share your contact details

Follow Tamil Brahmins on Social Media

Latest posts