• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Morning Kaapi - what's your pick?

Which brand of coffee do you mostly relate to

• Total voters
ha Ha Ha wonderful on Coffee. preferred coffee is filter coffee.
some more- -Turkish Coffee is only thick decoction ( black coffee) that too in a small cup.
Phillippines , prefer civet coffee.
The world’s most expensive coffee, made from poop of civet cat.
In US people will not forget Starbucks.
I recall an anecdote from Shri. R.K.Narayan's book, My Dateless Diary,
He writes when he was in New York he wanted a coffee, so he stood in the queue.
when his turn came, the negro girl asked him black or white?
He thought for a moment, as it should not be racial meaning negro a black and an american.
However in his witty way he replied neither it is brown as south indian brew it.
I had a big laugh while reading it.

10th Oct it's International Coffee Day, a global celebration of flat whites and espresso martinis.
But which country is most fond of the much-loved bean? We've mapped the world according to coffee consumption per capita – and it's the Finns that come out on top. They grind their way through an impressive 12kg per person per year, according to stats from the International Coffee Organization (ICO).
Finland's neighbours are just as hungry for java. Norway, Iceland, Denmark and Sweden also make the top 10 – it must be those long winters. The US comes 26th, while the UK turns up at number 45.
You can't grow coffee in northern Europe (obviously).
Brazil is the world's biggest exporter of coffee, shipping a truly remarkable 5.7bn pounds of grounds each year, according to ICO. In fact, Brazil has been the world’s largest exporter of coffee for more than 150 years. It supplied around 80 per cent of the world’s coffee in the 1920s, but that figure has fallen to around a third.
Second is, perhaps surprisingly, Vietnam, with 3.6bn, followed by Colombia, Indonesia and Ethiopia.
India way behind comes (although we south indians consume) seventh exporter India - 767m pounds.
Love it or hate it, Starbucks has spread its caffeine-soaked tentacles around all four corners of the globe. But which country has the most branches per head of population? SilverDoor (a serviced apartment website) crunched the numbers, and Monaco came out on top, followed by the US, Canada, Aruba and The Bahamas.
What about tea?
hi

i prefer dunkin dounguts cold coffee in USA than starbucks....in DD coffee looklike indian coffee with

sugar and cream.....i like cold coffee with ice cubes than hot coffee in USA...

Preferred coffee - filter coffee. We were big fans of Coffee Day (PB) but now have shifted to Leo's. I lived in Finland for 8 years and the closest to our coffee taste was a combination of Lofberg's cresendo and Paulig's Tumma Presidentti - 70-30 - and extract the decoction using a moka pot.

350 g Peaberry, 150g Plantation A. Ground smooth. No Chicory.
I prefer the traditional coffee filters. The slow percolation improves taste in its manner.
Anywhere I'm offered coffee, I judge it by the froth. Good coffee froths well. I don't know why.

I am basically from Tanjore district, Tiruvarur...
Initially, we were doing with Narasus Udhayam ....good one...
In the middle, we were in Bangalore for a year, that time, we used Cothas coffee, really good..
So we moved into “Cothas” coffeee...,whenever, it is not there,
We take Narasus also....
Now 1st preference to Cothas coffee...Wow...

After the morning alarm, it is the Suda Suda Kaapi that is our next wake up call, especially in our Brahmin community. There are lots of brands out there, yet a few traditional ones are not just giving stiff competition to the baristas, but also thriving.
As a coffee lover, I'm looking at researching a few brands, especially the ones we use at home, and thought it best to start from here.

If there was one brand of coffee that you swear by (especially South Indian, Tamilnadu or Chennai) which one would it be?
I am an avid coffee drinker and come from the Narasu`s Coffee family. I sell coffee powder for select coffee connoisseurs which comes from estates in Coorg and have been blended by years of tradition. You may contact me on 9840701672 for any further details

We live in Hyderabad. We get the coffee powder ground for the Filter with a 1:1 combination of Plantation A and Peaberry roasted seeds at Krishna Coffee Works situated in RP Road Secunderabad. Excellent aroma and refreshing Coffee. We always get the appreciation from the visitors when we serve this brand coffee. This guy gets the seeds from Karnataka I am told. People in Hyderabad/Secunderabad may try this.

No way to compromise narasus without chicory there are some secrets in preparing after a strong decoction made, a hot cup(3/4) of milk after surgery stirred strong decoction to be filled at the top(1)4) cup to cherish the flavour

Coffee na narasus coffee than besh besh

The best coffees are specialty coffees - Plantation / PB etc. are only variants of Arabica, one of the coffee types, other being Robusta. Arabica is generally known for taste and aroma, robusta for strength. Usually, different beans are blended for the final powder that is available in the market.

Specialty beans can be both in Robusta (e.g. Robusta Kaapi Royale) and Arabica (e.g. Mysore Nugget EB, Monsoon Malabar). The size of the bean is also important - AAA is the biggest and the best - the bigger the bean, better can the roasting be. There are also specialty coffees now from Araku Valley (Andhra), some estates in Tamil Nadu. Single origin coffees (from a single estate) are also a rage now.

The above are Indian coffees. There are also specialty coffees from Kenya, Ghana, Brazil, Colombia, etc.

Indian MNEB and MM are excellent tasting arabica coffees, but are not very easily available, also expensive - upwards of Rs 1,000/- per kg.

It doesn't mean bean alone is sufficient - every processing step is important. Roasting to the optimal temperature is key - neither under nor over roasting. Then grinding and finally the brewing process - where the water temp should be between 92-95 C.

Most of the local roasters use relatively medium / low grade arabicas but as the specialty coffee is generally exported, consumers are forced to develop a taste for what they are able to buy.

If you get a chance, try the specialty coffees - provided roasting and grinding are properly done. It will be difficult to go to others thereafter.

And no chicory please!

PS : Contact me for more details on MNEB / MM raw beans. ([email protected])

Last edited:
My take is--go the shop get peaberry 300 gram and plantation A 200 gram. mix and get it ground to a certain consistancy and use it to brew your concoction. At times if you want a little more of bitterness add a spoon full of Narasus instant coffee. That is my recommendation. Try it and enjoy.
Thumb rule is peaberry for flavour/aroma and plantation for bitterness. Add or reduce to your taste. That is the trick.
This is our local coffee Suma coffee mix. Peaberry and Plantation A.we get it roasted and ground with No chicory. We find this the best.

As somebody who markets Kumbakonam degree coffee myself , I would say that as the best coffee I had ever tasted , got so much of appreciations for the same and supply around 50 Kgs per month as a part of my home needs supply business .. but one of the best coffee's you will taste .. my vote goes for Kumbakonam degree coffee only

After the morning alarm, it is the Suda Suda Kaapi that is our next wake up call, especially in our Brahmin community. There are lots of brands out there, yet a few traditional ones are not just giving stiff competition to the baristas, but also thriving.
As a coffee lover, I'm looking at researching a few brands, especially the ones we use at home, and thought it best to start from here.

If there was one brand of coffee that you swear by (especially South Indian, Tamilnadu or Chennai) which one would it be?
The Brand we use and we stand by is not added to your list ! We use "LINGAM COFFEE" (w/o chicory) freshly ground from West Mamblam. Its the best coffee you can ever have.

I am surprised Cothas Coffee, a fast moving item, doesn't find a place in the voting list. Instead, instant coffee brands are included, which are least preferred by coffee aficionados :)

Awesome

I think the most delicious coffee was the one that my grandmother and then my mother used to make, buy the seeds from Coffee Board, roast it and then grind it twice a month to retain its freshness and aroma. Those were the days. Right now staying in Mumbai I get it from Mysore Concerns at Matunga King's circle. It's good but nowhere near the one made at home.

In Tiruchirappalli, Tamil Nadu, Padma Coffee is popular. I use it. In Kumbakonam, Mohan's Coffee is very popular. You need to include local ciy brands to get a fair opinion. Just including brands like narasu's, Coffee day does not help in any one's research. My view.

Jagan Iyer

Latest ads

Back