• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Mogha Mull- A review

Status
Not open for further replies.
I happened to see the old classic Mogha Mull -a film based on T.Janakiramans book of the same name in fiftees..

In youtube it had been loaded.

A village setup in tanjore-kumbakonam belt of tamilnadu with brahmin characters talking in language all of us here are comfortable with and good carnatic music

compositions sung by jesudass adding to the charm of the production.Story of love of abishek - a carnatic music singere gifted to make it big almost loses it by

falling in love with a girl played by archana joglekar of tanjore maharastrian -tamil brahmin parents.She refuses to marry him as she is 10 years older to him.She

ultimately yields to him after she sees him going downhill .

A must see movie for all tamil brahmins..At least the climax of last seven minutes posted separately .

The movie retains its charm even after 60 plus years.

One gets a bit nostalgic when one thinks of life in those villages in deep interior -mine was a mixed tanjore marathi brahmins and tamil brahmin village near

kumbakonam. I have spent time -several months in fiftees there right on banks of cauvery rivulet in village home even before there were electric lights there.

The mix of marathi and tamil brahmins sometime illegitimate was not unusual.The novel of janakiraman was serialised in one of the tamil weely magazines which I

have read in parts . The local brahmin lingo is delightful.The tamil brahmin exclusiveness and yet intermixing with marathis sounded realistic.I liked the last scene

when the marathi girl yields to abhishek and tells him that she is doing this so that his music can live again was touching.The various incidents when abhishek

tries to find a match for the girl are interesting.How the relatives of brahmin father treat the girls family after his death show the callousness of the higher caste

towards fathers mistress.They do not wait for her to see the body on his death and feel good that they did not have feel embarrassed by her presence at the

funeral.The movie sounded authentic .

I must see for all with a free afternoon to spare.

"Moga Mull" (மோகமுள்) is an excellent film, but I doubt whether it had earned in box office collections. The story is so strong no one can justify the spirit of Thi Janakiraman's (தி. ஜானகிராமன்) writings in picturisation. The whole story is wovan around the life of small town Brahmin families around Tanjore district of erstwhile era. The greatness of Thi Janakiraman is his sincere portrayal of the lives of Brahmins without any inhibition.

Brahmanyan,
Bangalore.

Brahmins way of life is only lampooned in tamil films these days.

I remember another film of an earlier decade -Tyagabhoomi .The story penned by Kalki krishnamurthy in Anandavikatan and made by S S Vasan and starring

Papanasam sivam, S D Subbalakshmi .Sambhu sastry[played by sivan] a brahmin priest excommunicated by the brahmin community for sheltering harijan during

cyclone ends up supporting Gandhian movement picketing liquor shops.His daughter savithri[Played by SDS] gets married to a westernised fellow who ill treats her and

her own parental property is taken away by husband and she finds herself homeless after leaving husband.She takes to charitable activities refusing overtures by her

husband to return to him.The film directed by K Subramaniam and released in 1939 was a hit.The film was later banned by the british governor after weeks of running

on sedition grounds.Considered to be a film classic,the surviving copy is in archives in Pune.

One comes across gems like this.

........ I think that the starting song is Guruleka in raga Gowri Manohari (Mrs Raji Ram ji - AM I right?)
Yes, Prof. Sir. :thumb:

Surprisingly, the rAga AlApanai had Karaharapriya's NishAdham at the end! :)

Talking of that particular song:

Once, I asked one of my students to sing 'GurulEka' alone, as I had to collect a packet from a courier.
She sang it in KeeravANi and still the song sounded very nice! :clap2:

Another pretty short film -Adwaitham in Telugu with english sub titles -a national award winning film of 27 minutes highlighting the non duality[oneness] among human

beings depicting friendship between a brahmin mridangam player and a different caste lower in caste heirarchy who plays the dhol.The film made by Pradeep is moving .

Their friendly banter and each insisting that their instrument is better,both spending hours together talking, playing, escaping from village to see sridevi starrer on the

sly is enjoyable.When the brahmin becomes sick, the lower caste fellow forces him to go to town to brahmins daughters place for treatment on being asked by

brahmins wife. On his return from treatment, the brahmin finds that his lower caste friend has passed away.He adopts his son and takes the dhol.

A tale simply told and picturised nicely with good camera work and santosh narayans music.

Excellent saturday morning viewing.

A Bhim Singh gave a mega hit in mid-1970 without Shivaji in the lead role. Jeyakanthan's Sila Nerangalil Sila Manidhargal was that film. The performance of Sundari Bai, a Saurashtrian, acted as mother of Lakshmi as Brahmin widow was superb.

In this story Ganga character and Srikanth character are very good. Ganga, a Brahmin spoiled by srikanth wants to marry srikanth. Srikanth even though friendly with her never marries her saying that he has a family which can not be ignored and Ganga in the end lives alone. Actually even though Srikanth character spoils Ganga, he was always tormented by the incident but could not do anything about that which happened. Then Ganga's mother pours water on Ganga tell her that this is just an accident and try to forget Srikanth. Still she finds him but never able to convince him to marry her.A very tragic tale of Ganga told in a fashion that touched the hearts of many.

Mahendran movie Mullum Malarum and udhiri pookkal also are a classic to watch. Telling about normal humans and their way of dealing with their ego problems. Rajini as Kali never wanted to marry his sister to an engineer, he always confronts with. Sarathbabu as an engineer tries to convince Kali (Rajini) to marry kali's sister. But Rajini refuses because of he being dismissed by Sarath Babu, an Engineer. But in the end, somehow wants her sister to have a peaceful after losing a hand in an accident accepts for the marriage. (Mullum Malarum A classic novel by sarath chandra, a Bengali writer). Uthiri Pookkal abut a village head who also owns a school, tries to marry her wife's younger sister. When all the village people were up against him after his wife's die, forced to enter into a river to get himself drowned. The two children became orphans because of death of father and mother. A village very well told which got many awards.

Another pretty short film -Nilam in Tamil -one of the short telefilms in Kadhai Neram of Balu Mahendra . A senior Bureaucrat wants to build a temple on MMDA land

allotted to him and is planning a foundation ceremony for it . Just two days before the function ,he receives a letter from MMDA that the land is wrongly allotted and he

is given alternate land unsuitable for temple.He approaches his friend Kicha -Krishnamurthy to fix the issue. The MMDA official is considered not corruptible.Kicha

discovers thru MMDA officials PA that his weakness is women. He offers a woman to him to stay the change of plot allotment that he does.Next day, foundation function

for temple takes place with a holy man on the welcoming pandal praising the bureaucrat for his noble need of building temple and says krishna paramatma never lets

down his bhakthas when they engage in religeous activities.

Mohan Ram playing kicha has done a brilliant job playing kicha.

A lovely treat for saturday evening.

Available on youtube..

Last edited:
Mahendran movie Mullum Malarum and udhiri pookkal also are a classic to watch. Telling about normal humans and their way of dealing with their ego problems. Rajini as Kali never wanted to marry his sister to an engineer, he always confronts with. Sarathbabu as an engineer tries to convince Kali (Rajini) to marry kali's sister. But Rajini refuses because of he being dismissed by Sarath Babu, an Engineer. But in the end, somehow wants her sister to have a peaceful after losing a hand in an accident accepts for the marriage. (Mullum Malarum A classic novel by sarath chandra, a Bengali writer). Uthiri Pookkal abut a village head who also owns a school, tries to marry her wife's younger sister. When all the village people were up against him after his wife's die, forced to enter into a river to get himself drowned. The two children became orphans because of death of father and mother. A village very well told which got many awards.

While Mullum Malaraum had the impact of Pasa Malar, Uthiri Pookkal was really a classic. Mahendran selected the heroine Aswini, a Marati, despite warning that her film in Kannada was a flop. Her acting was superb. Though Vijayan performed well, Mahendran could have selected Shivaji.

Footnote (Israeli movie) was a very interesting movie about father and son's lives (both Talmudic
scholars) Trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfsn17MqkBo

I watched in google youtube ($2.99 rent )

From Newyorker http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2012/04/16/learning-on-the-job

From New York Times
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/09/movies/footnote-a-satire-and-family-drama-by-joseph-cedar.html

Excerpts from New York Times Review:
It is also, and not incidentally, one of the most accurate depictions
I have ever seen of the peculiar mores and rituals of academe. Among
the many memorable scenes — which include moments of high farce,
agonized confrontation and linguistic sleuthing — the one I found most
remarkable is a tense conclave around a table in a departmental
office. The participants are squeezed around a too-small table, hemmed
in by books and papers that threaten to bury them. Tempers fray and
flare until the situation resembles a literal enactment of a line from
William Butler Yeats: “Great hatred, little room.”

Yeats was thinking of Ireland, but it would be hard to come up with a
better four-word description of Israel and its surroundings. And while
the overwhelming, exhausting political questions that dominate most
films from Israel (including “Beaufort”) are not addressed in
“Footnote,” they are not exactly avoided either. Whatever schisms and
contradictions afflict the Jewish state — feel free to make your own
list — are somehow implicit in the primal divide within the Shkolnik
family.

Resolution is unlikely, which may or may not be cause for optimism.
Academic life and family life are both built on love — the love of
learning, the love of other people — but they survive on contention,
renewing and extending quarrels from one generation to the next.
Interpretation begets interpretation, and a father’s mistakes are
corrected by the errors of his children. There is no reason to
suppose, or to hope, that this will end. The substance of human
existence is argument, and each of us has a footnote to contribute.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back