• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Mind Development

Status
Not open for further replies.
The best way to respecting and caring for others interests as our own is to give greater importance to relationships that connects you to others than to the persons in the relationship. The various connections may be mother-son, husband-wife, brother-sister, friendship, fellow human etc. When you understand that the relationships stand above the persons involved in the relationship you tend to forget and forgive. At the most general level one has to respect others as fellow humans.

But we can foresee some complications in applying this general rule. What if the other person is my competitor or belongs to an enemy country?

The human cant fear or hate for too long..thats why some develop Stockholm syndrome

The human cant fear or hate for too long..thats why some develop Stockholm syndrome
That happens when there is no choice. But the fact is so much destruction and damage are caused because of fear and hate.

.........But the fact is so much destruction and damage are caused because of fear and hate.
Yeah! In forum, hatred is shown by increasing the score of
icon13.png
!!
wink-new.png

That happens when there is no choice. But the fact is so much destruction and damage are caused because of fear and hate.

Well..wasnt it ever present since the beginning of time?

Just imagine Dwapara Yuga..Mahabharat happened becos of hatred and fear.

So Sravna..at least these days we humans are much better.

Well..wasnt it ever present since the beginning of time?

Just imagine Dwapara Yuga..Mahabharat happened becos of hatred and fear.

So Sravna..at least these days we humans are much better.

I agree today humans might turn out to be actually good. The logic is they repose incredible faith in science and technology and so if that is overwhelmed, their ego can easily come down. I mean overwhelmed in the sense of understanding greater truths

I agree today humans might turn out to be actually good. The logic is they repose incredible faith in science and technology and so if that is overwhelmed, their ego can easily come down. I mean overwhelmed in the sense of understanding greater truths
I beg to differ, Sravna sir!

In fact the knowledge increases the ego in a person, now a days, than making him / her humble!
pride.png

Rarely we see examples of 'niRai kudam thaLumbAdhu', like my Guru Prof. S. Ramanathan. :angel:

I beg to differ, Sravna sir!

In fact the knowledge increases the ego in a person, now a days, than making him / her humble!
pride.png

Rarely we see examples of 'niRai kudam thaLumbAdhu', like my Guru Prof. S. Ramanathan. :angel:

Smt.RR,

Interesting point of view. I concede there is truth in it.

Dear Sravna..

What has science and technology got to do with understanding greater truth?

Science and technology are just tools to enhance quality of life ..nothing more.

Higher truth..I wonder why see anything as higher or lower?

Just try to simply exists.

The human has 101 reasons to feel high and mighty or down and out too.

No one can remain in either state forever..the body finds an equilibrium eventually and also can tilt again from to time when the tectonic plates of the mind move.

Human ego of feeling one knows the Higher Truth or even in a quest for spirituality can hit a Richter 10 too.

So ego is a double edge situation...the more we think we do not have it..the more it actually grows.

Best is to just not think too much about ego.

Dear Sravna..

What has science and technology got to do with understanding greater truth?

Science and technology are just tools to enhance quality of life ..nothing more.

Higher truth..I wonder why see anything as higher or lower?

Just try to simply exists.

The human has 101 reasons to feel high and mighty or down and out too.

No one can remain in either state forever..the body finds an equilibrium eventually and also can tilt again from to time when the tectonic plates of the mind move.

Human ego of feeling one knows the Higher Truth or even in a quest for spirituality can hit a Richter 10 too.

So ego is a double edge situation...the more we think we do not have it..the more it actually grows.

Best is to just not think too much about ego.

Dear Renuka,

I am not sure if I can give you a satisfactory reply. But there is definitely a state where there is no ego. I have experienced it for short periods of time. Your attitude is totally different. I actually saw everyone as divine. I believe I will be able to get into that state permanently. But when I am not in that state which is most of the time currently, I do experience ego.

By higher truth I mean this; something which makes the mundane knowledge vanish. Normally you are attached to this world. But you can reach a higher state of detachment. In that state, we find attachment absolutely undesirable. The mundane reality is falsified.

In the previous posts, I emphasized the point that the best way to start practicing spirituality is to work on the excesses and deficiencies of the mind.So start with the deficiencies and excesses of mind and work them accordingly so that eventually complementing traits get established.

Thus if one is displaying undue courage, one has to temper it by trying to watch out for foolhardiness. The complementary trait for courage would thus be restraint on recklessness.

The three gunas have to balance to attain the ideal. In the previous post, courage is a rajas quality whereas restraints in general are sattvic qualities and there would a tamas quality too that is required for a perfect balance.

By the acquisition of more and more balance in gunas, soul and mind become more and more powerful. Synergy results as a result of this balance which is the source of spiritual power.

For the common man, the question is how can this balance be achieved in practice?

By the acquisition of more and more balance in gunas, soul and mind become more and more powerful. Synergy results as a result of this balance which is the source of spiritual power.

For the common man, the question is how can this balance be achieved in practice?

Again not accurate.

The Soul does not have to become more and more powerful....the Soul is in the Unchanging state..
In fact the soul of a dog is no different from the soul of a human.

Its the surrounding layers that obscure the soul.that needs to be shed.

So its not about the mind getting stronger..its about shedding all layers of the mind too.

I think.you need to at least read up about religion..

Adi Shankara sang..I am not the manas or the buddhi or citta or ahamkara.
He never sang I am making my mind stronger.

I think you should devote sometime acquiring some knowledge about religion.

I feel an accurate title of your thread would be Ego Development.

A point on synergy. Synergy is intelligence because it contains information more than the sum of the parts. This is the basis of inbuilt intelligence of spiritual energy.

Again not accurate.

The Soul does not have to become more and more powerful....the Soul is in the Unchanging state..
In fact the soul of a dog is no different from the soul of a human.

Its the surrounding layers that obscure the soul.that needs to be shed.

So its not about the mind getting stronger..its about shedding all layers of the mind too.

I think.you need to at least read up about religion..

Adi Shankara sang..I am not the manas or the buddhi or citta or ahamkara.
He never sang I am making my mind stronger.

I think you should devote sometime acquiring some knowledge about religion.

I feel an accurate title of your thread would be Ego Development.
Dear Renuka,

The jivatma is changing and evolves but it is the Atman that is unchanging. I should have clarified that when i mentioned about soul.

Also the days of Adi Sankara were different. People had an inclination for spirituality and no correspondence between science and spirituality was required to be given. But my objective is different. I am trying to make my explanations as mundane and as non esoteric as possible so that people can more readily grasp the content.

Dear Renuka,

I believe when Sankara said I am not the body or the mind , he would most likely be referring to the different levels of reality and that as self, body and mind are lesser realities than jivatma. So self exists as jivatma, mind, body with body representing the lowest level of self. The highest reality of self is of course the Atman.

So now how would you in practice achieve the balance in mind? I would suggest that one needs to find out what are in excess and what are in deficient with one? Then one needs to set it right incrementally applying the three techniques, namely humor with ego, sympathy and empathy. I will elaborate on this.

Dear Renuka,

I believe when Sankara said I am not the body or the mind , he would most likely be referring to the different levels of reality and that as self, body and mind are lesser realities than jivatma. So self exists as jivatma, mind, body with body representing the lowest level of self. The highest reality of self is of course the Atman.

Nope...
Shankara was lucid.

Dear Renuka,

The jivatma is changing and evolves but it is the Atman that is unchanging. I should have clarified that when i mentioned about soul.

Also the days of Adi Sankara were different. People had an inclination for spirituality and no correspondence between science and spirituality was required to be given. But my objective is different. I am trying to make my explanations as mundane and as non esoteric as possible so that people can more readily grasp the content.

As I said earlier...you need to read up.

Jeevatman is no different from Paramatma in Advaita understanding.

There is nothing to evolve.

You hold on to evolving theory cos only that way you can project spirituality.

As I said elsewhere..the jeeva of a human is no different from the jeeva of a dog too.

Its not easy for those who hold on to a false perception of some being more spiritual or more evolved than.another to digest.

The truth dethrones human ego which identifies with temporary states of false pride and prejudice of the bodily kind even those who hold on to an overdose of Sattva.

The Jeeva is like a Pseudopodia of an Ameoba..a temporary projection to.move about but it belongs to the amoeba.

Likewise Jeeva is just a temporary embodied extension of Paramatma.
This is the basis of the understanding of Tat Tvam Asi but becos of the various layers of body..mind..karmic data etc that envelops the Jeeva its real form of Paramatma does not get revealed...like a diamond in mud that is hidden.

Please read up.

Last edited:
Renuka,

I have made references and that is my understanding. If you still contest it, I would prefer a member who is a scholar to shed light on this.

Renuka,

I have made references and that is my understanding. If you still contest it, I would prefer a member who is a scholar to shed light on this.

You dont need a scholar..just read books on Advaita.
This is just so so basic..its not even scholar level.

Read ..I know you prefer not too.

. An elaborate description of the Jivatma would be: “the multiple Divine manifested here as the individualised self or spirit of the created being.”
The Jivatma in its essence does not change or evolve, its essence stands above the personal evolution; within the evolution itself it is represented by the evolving psychic being which supports all the rest of the nature.

By Sri Aurobindo.

http://intyoga.online.fr/ppb4.htm

Read this Sravna...Aurobindos words..surely greater than any scholar.

Read this Sravna...Aurobindos words..surely greater than any scholar.
There it is Renuka. Pay attention to the words "in its essence" by which Sri Aurobindo means the Atman which is the essence. It is not just reading. Right interpretation is very important.

There it is Renuka. Pay attention to the words "in its essence" by which Sri Aurobindo means the Atman which is the essence.

Sravna...that is the truth..dont deny when you have evidence.

The Jeeva does NOT change or evolve.

The word essence means in this context means in the real sense.

Kindly accept evidence and make changes to your earlier post which revealed an inaccurate understanding.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back