• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Member Introductions [Archive]

Status
Not open for further replies.
let's stop moaning and do sumthing

By Rama, a final yr iit student who's organizing the protest....

I spoke to some people from other colleges... and as of now.. we
thought we would kick start our protests on 20th.

The plan is to sit at Anna Square near the Marina, and silently hold
posters and placards... which will show our commitment to the
upliftment of the downtrodden... but equally make it visible that we
do not see reservations as the means for the same.

Our message will essentially have the following main points:

1. We are against reservations.
2. We are for equality of all.
3. We are for upliftment of the deprived
4. We are for a caste free India

Some features of this will be ...

1. We all wear only white clothing. This will symbolise peace.
2. We have posters/placards in Tamil and English.

We would like to have a decent number of people participating in the
same. It will be for just an hour or two. Hence, I request anyone
who can make that much time to come over and join.

Lets get going.

the protest is on saturday in the evening at 5..those willing to
join..pls join the chennai against reservation forum on orkut...

get as many ppl as u can into the protest

lets stop moaning and do sumthing....

please please participate in the anti reservation protests..

By Rama, a final yr iit student who's organizing the protest....

I spoke to some people from other colleges... and as of now.. we
thought we would kick start our protests on 20th.

The plan is to sit at Anna Square near the Marina, and silently hold
posters and placards... which will show our commitment to the
upliftment of the downtrodden... but equally make it visible that we
do not see reservations as the means for the same.

Our message will essentially have the following main points:

1. We are against reservations.
2. We are for equality of all.
3. We are for upliftment of the deprived
4. We are for a caste free India

Some features of this will be ...

1. We all wear only white clothing. This will symbolise peace.
2. We have posters/placards in Tamil and English.

We would like to have a decent number of people participating in the
same. It will be for just an hour or two. Hence, I request anyone
who can make that much time to come over and join.

Lets get going.

the protest is on saturday in the evening at 5..those willing to
join..pls join the chennai against reservation forum on orkut...

get as many ppl as u can into the protest

Learning Sandhya vandhanam and basic rituals

Hi,

Anyone here living in San Francisco bay area california, who can volunteer some time during late evenings or week ends to help me learn basic rituals like sandhya vandanam, Abhivadhey, saying rudhram among other things.

Appreciate your feedback.

Sincerely

Krish

srkpriv said:
I am not proud to be a brahmin!, but I dont despise being a brahmin as well!.

Not to discourage the census effort or something like of the dr., but how could ******* using their local outfits plannin to collect the data?. Did the dr. already spoke to the ******* already and did they agree!.

Can someone please tell me what is the communication address of ******* in the first place?. Can we reach them by email or through internet or something ? (2 questions actually).
I absolutely agree.. the only thing on the net that I am aware of, is www.tambrashoro.com - their matrimony listing site, where there is a link to their educational services also. They don't seem to have a site otherwise.

dr_vb said:
Enumertion can be done through local units of ******* members over a period of time/ through volunteers who willingly help this cause taking some help from sastrigals of the local area
vb
That's a good idea. And, the fact that we already have the unit '*******' in place.. that'll make the job much easier. Ofcourse, the services rendered by ******* as simply excellent; but before anything else, my opinion is to make '*******' more visible - every brahmin should be aware of such an organization available for them and should represent themselves with them. Once this is done, it will be a lot easier to bring all the brahmins together.

Hello! (and some advice?)

Hello Everyone,

I would like to start off by thanking those who started this wonderful community -- of which I am honored to be a part. I come to this website with a unique perspective, as a Tamil Brahmin born and brought up in the USA. I visit India once every 2-3 years, speak fluent Tamil and have a great deal of pride as a Tamil Brahmin. One problem I have been encountering (one I hope you can help with) is in regards to meeting women. Women I meet seem to have an issue with my Tamil Brahmin Pride. Now if we are referring to non-Tamil or non-Brahmin women, that is to be expected... but the surprising reality is that even owr own, Tamil-Brahmin women seem to be somehwaht embarassed about being Tamil and tend to shy away from men who are.

Any advice or stories on this situation would be helpful. Thank you very much.

TKP

hai!
thank u and glad that u have joined this site!
Mr tkp,i dont understand what situation u r talking about but i would like to comment on ur statement about tamil woman being shy to meet tamil men.being shy is a part of their nature and ther eis nothing u can change about that.not only tamil woman but many woman in thia world do project this type of nature .more than taking it is shy u can take it as an respect shown to men that all i can say
thank u

Old Age Home For Affordable Brahmins Only

Dear Brahmin Brothers,

I am originally from Thanjavur district from a well known family, spent 35 years away from Tamil Nadu, aged now 61, returned to Chennai during January 2005.
I felt that the people growing old should have place for themselves in which they can live with dignity and honour.
Ofcourse nothing comes free. It is intended to provide the best possible facilities for the people - particularly BRAHMINS, since our food habits and religious activities are different from others - who can pay a very reasonable amount.
The details are available on our website: www.shitaloldagehome.be

I request you to kindly visit our site and give us your feed back so that we can think of incorporating your suggestions. You can mail me:
[email protected], [email protected]
Phone: 2471 3912 - between Evening 8 pm & 8 am.

Your suggestions and recomendations are solicited.

WITH KIND REGARDS - RG RAMAN

Hi,

Glad you could join us :)

it all comes to the way one has been brought up.

those who are born and brought up in tamilnadu or for that matter anywhere in india learns these from a small age either by watching the elders or by learning from them.

and that is something which is inbuilt into us.

as mythreyi said,

it is also taken as a show of respect towards others :)

Hello all,

Thanks very much for your welcome. I am extremely excited to find a site such as this that can unite us tamil brahmins together

Praveen, in response to your posting, I am a bit confused. Although I was born and brought up in the US, I have been brought up in a very traditional family with true brahmin values. Both of my parents moved here from TamizhNadu and have been very good about bringing my brother Santhanam and I up with the knowledge that the Tamil Brahmin group is a unique one, and one that I am extremely proud of. Given this I do understand the concept of our women that you and mythreyi are speaking of.

I may not have been clear with my question, though. What I have been noticing is that may of our tamil brahmin women tend not to have a problem dating gujju and punjabi men, but are very hesitant, and even resist dating their own kind. I find this very odd considering how we are brought up and our general knowledge of our tamil brahmin group being blessed by virtue of our birth.

I would love to hear your opinions on this.

I look forward to hearing from you all...

Best,

TKP

TKP,

i am sorry, maybe i phrased it the wrong way.:D

what i meant was,

the surroundings, outside culture (out of home) etc. play a part as well

and in no way i am going to judge/comment on one's upbringing.

my point is and was,

who ever it maybe, whatever way one is brought up, the society plays a part.

Living in Tamilnadu makes you understand the way of a brahmin in a much faster way than in a place where the chances of seeing brahmins (outside home) is not a lot.

as to why brahmin women dont date other brahmins is simple to understand.
I am sorry if my words offend anyone, but hope you get the bigger picture :)
Its like this,

if someone has, lets say, curd rice for breakfast, lunch and dinner on a daily basis, they are going to long for a change.
its like that,
brahmin women know how a brahmin men behave and act (generally), so they tend to date people of other sects.
its like a change thats all.

When i was in UK, i noticed the same thing as well.

But, BIG but, if inside you are a nice person with good qualities, dont worry about going after Ms.X, just be yourself and she will soon notice you for what you are as a person. that time brahmin or punjabi or gujju will not matter.:)

hai!
well said praveen!people are worried outside brahminical and reservation issues!

Sandhyavandanam VCDs/DVDs

Krish:

There are a couple of VCDs/DVDs available in the market that explain the basics of Sandhyavandanam, Abhivadhey et al and the correct ways to do them.

- Mrk

Intro

Hi all, my name is ganesh and i am new to this group. Hello to everybody!

brahmins dominate the national media

Hi All,
There is one message in The Hindu paper today(05/06/2006).
In that paper on page 14 there is a message for the brahmins.

In that message it's says that the upper castes dominate national media says the survey in delhi. OBC, SC/ST,Muslim are less.

Brahmins alone hold 49% of the top post in national journalism.

If we have to accept to have reservation on all things then we will be like Kashmir pandits. Because in the same page one more news is that

Fewer pandits turn out for festival in kashmir( there mother land). Because off terror attacks there. Like that one day we have to come to our state a like kashmir pandits(kashmir brahmins) if we accept reservation.

I think the hindu editors (who happens to be brahmins)changed after one the editors girl marrys sun tv boss.

May be marrige is a private life. But let think why the national newspaper like hindu try to stop the recent anti reservation protest in the article (some day back) ask medicos to go back to work and let the P.M of india look after the matter. They are now very close to become DMK paper.

when i and my friend(telugu non brahmin) are reading a dalit leader article
that in the software company infosys there are very less dalit people working so the company CEO Narayan murthy should give reservation for dalits in his company.

My friend ask me why they asks only in the infosys not in any other company like wipro or IBM (there also very less dalit people). Because in brahmin community some will come and help them(like the hindu paper) not in any other community.

Who knows if we look at reservation policy 100 years back where its was first come in bombay there may be a brahmins hand on it.

thats simple and easy to understand,
at this present setup, all we have to do is study hard and get top marks.

top marks = top positions.

whereas other (people and sect's) depend on these reservations and govt benefits and loopholes to proceed forward.

Anti-hindu Stance Of The Hindu

The Hindu has been notorious for its anti-Hindu stance for a long time.The reasons are several.One reason is that the paper's trade union is DMK-dominated. Second is that Hindu Ram is a marxist!!! For years The Hindu has been publishing anti-Hindu articles by Kancha Iliah, a dalit from A.P. & one GAIL OMVEDT, an American of scandinavian origin. These two people spew venom on Hinduism. The new intercaste matrimonial bond between The Hindu family & the "Kalaignar" family has only strengthened the anti-Hindu & anti-Brahmin stance of The Hindu.

Glad to Join

Hello everyone,

I am glad to join this forum that seeks to establish an online community of Tamil brahmins. Besides other topics and chit chat, let's use this forum to disseminate and learn vedic knowledge from people who know. I would welcome contributions that seek to let us learn more about our culture, tradition and religion.

Thanks Pravin and everyone.

Regards,
saidevo

many people in norh india who are from south india claims to be brahmins.they have adopted two policies.whenever it comes to reservation they become o.b.c.but when it comes to social gathering they introduce themselves as brahmins.because deep in there mind they relate brahmins with aristocracy and want to be a part of it.one indira iyengar,president of madhya pradesh christian association,is actively involved in forced and sponsered conversion of poor hindus to new wester imperialism christianity.same with people in jobs and media.they are not all brahmins but get themselves counted as brahmins.:wave:

hai ,
sure this is what evn we were looking forward!but how do we collect the right information?

mythreyi said:
hai ,
sure this is what evn we were looking forward!but how do we collect the right information?

Chintana has done a framework of a database which will collect information on many things.

i received a copy of it and will look into the possibility adding such a feature to the forum soon :)

Hi,
Well said about "The Hindu". Perhaps the name of the paper should be changed to "The Panderer". But hey, I quote my religion as Hindu only for convenience( "Follower of sanatana dharma" is such a long introduction! ), so I actually do not mind the paper calling itself that.

kaushik

People and the Honorable professor,
Enumerating brahmins is a good idea. Perhaps for statistical reasons. But wether we are numerous or not, the community is beleagured. So a database can only be relevant based on the use it is put to. I suggest the following uses and perhaps we can design a better database:
1. Finding out the career aspirations of brahmins and helping them get placed in a rewarding place.
2. Finding out promising youngsters among the community and groom them to become leaders. I suggest this be based on the career aspirations listed.
3. Based on the findings of the database, to encourage young brahmins to diversify their vocational interest so that we are not left unrepresented in any professional forum.

Any other uses that you can find of the database?

kaushik.

preparing a list of brahmins in tamil nadu

As Srk priv pointed out security and access of the data needs to be determined affront. Most of us agree that purpose of preparing a data base is to identify the brahmins who desperately need help in one form or other.

Is there any way we can store sailient points of our discussions, then and there in a document format, so that it can be used as a welcome packet for people who are joining newly. Reason why i am telling is, most of the discussions from yesterday's thread has been discussed in the past couple of weeks. There is nothing wrong in repeating the discussion, but if a new joinee come to know what has been discussed so far, new discussions can center around previous discussions with suggestion or comments. Eg., if a person is going to join after 6months, it will be very difficult for him to go thro all the threads to understand what has be transpired so far and will end up starting from the scratch.

Am I making sense?

Regards,
Mukesh

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back