• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

matka and other forms of gambling

Status
Not open for further replies.

kunjuppu

The Hindu : Sport / Football : FIFA probes Argentina’s thrashing in Nigeria

here is the latest scam. soccer.

probably there have been thousands of such, but this is the first time i am hearing of one. nigeria is a good team, but not that good. to thrash argentina 4-1. even if all the argie players were running with only one foot, i think they are good enough to atleast stop nigeria with a goalless draw.

which reminds me of matka. prior to internet and ipl and other legalized betting, back in the 50s, there was matka.

bookies in the streets of bombay took bets on the last closing number of raw egyptian cotton, in the new york stock exchange. which ofcourse was uncorruptible.

incidentally, bets as low as 50 paise, i was told, was taken, and i am still not sure, how the payout was decided. i think matka is gone now, but it sure provided the initial seed money for the dons for later years. like haji mastan or dawood ibrahim or chota rajan.

The Hindu : Sport / Football : FIFA probes Argentina’s thrashing in Nigeria

here is the latest scam. soccer.

probably there have been thousands of such, but this is the first time i am hearing of one. nigeria is a good team, but not that good. to thrash argentina 4-1. even if all the argie players were running with only one foot, i think they are good enough to atleast stop nigeria with a goalless draw.

which reminds me of matka. prior to internet and ipl and other legalized betting, back in the 50s, there was matka.

bookies in the streets of bombay took bets on the last closing number of raw egyptian cotton, in the new york stock exchange. which ofcourse was uncorruptible.

incidentally, bets as low as 50 paise, i was told, was taken, and i am still not sure, how the payout was decided. i think matka is gone now, but it sure provided the initial seed money for the dons for later years. like haji mastan or dawood ibrahim or chota rajan.

Shri Kunjuppu sir,

Since you have said elsewhere that even a veteran like you with more than 3000 posts is just a member, I am making myself bold to write this. What is the relevance of this topic to a forum of Tamilbrahmins? Generally, most of our community people do not go anywhere near any form of gambling; even children are not allowed to play cards or any other game with bets. Hence soccer-fixing, matka, etc., do not form part of our way of living. Then how is it that we should discuss about soccer fixing and matka?

I refer you to this post ([FONT=&quot]#137 [/FONT][FONT=&quot] http://www.tamilbrahmins.com/general-discussions/6457-flaws-advaita-real-perceived-14.html#post79680[/FONT]) in which the Super Moderator has said clearly that "our identity as brahmins on the cultural basis" has to be honoured in this forum.

sarma,

if you do not like a thread, please skip and avoid it.

there are many threads that i do not like and i avoid them.

i do not think you have the authority to lecture to others what should and should not be here in the forum. ok?

I only remember the saying by a famous person,(I think it is AVVAIYAR).
" KALAVUM KATRU MARA"
Learn even the art of theiving or stealing and then forget it.

I am afraid that Shri.Sarma61 never go through newspapers.Recently judgement was passed after a long time in one of the famous spy case,in which late Coomar Narain was the main culprit.I think late Coomar Narain (I am not sure)was from Brahmin community.A few years before
there was a news that one brahmin girl,daughter of a purohit was initially married to a priest of a temple,deserted him after living with him,married another person,again deserted him,married for a third time.She was instrumental in killing aged couple in Saidapet with the connivance of her third husband and his friends.She is in custody and facing trial.So let us not presume that everything is fine with the community to which you and I belong.There are good and bad people in allcommunities in this world.

I only remember the saying by a famous person,(I think it is AVVAIYAR).
" KALAVUM KATRU MARA"
Learn even the art of theiving or stealing and then forget it.

Sri.Krishnamurthy Sir, Greetings.

With due respect, I think, no one said that popular proverb. I think it is wrongly understood. (I always used to wonder, what happens if someone gets caught when 'learning to steal'? His/her defence that 'he/she is only learning it, but would forget it' may not go down very well.

I think the proverb is - களவும் கட்டும் அற (அரது). (களவு - பொய் ; கட்டு - திருட்டு. அரது - கூடாது). (Language is Malayalam. But in the olden days, Tamizh was spoken there).

Cheers!

Dear Shri.Raghy,
The quote referred to by me in my previous post was taught in primary school in my childhood.
I agree your quote is more apt and your intrepretation give the correct meaning.

Last edited:
I am afraid that Shri.Sarma61 never go through newspapers.Recently judgement was passed after a long time in one of the famous spy case,in which late Coomar Narain was the main culprit.I think late Coomar Narain (I am not sure)was from Brahmin community.A few years before
there was a news that one brahmin girl,daughter of a purohit was initially married to a priest of a temple,deserted him after living with him,married another person,again deserted him,married for a third time.She was instrumental in killing aged couple in Saidapet with the connivance of her third husband and his friends.She is in custody and facing trial.So let us not presume that everything is fine with the community to which you and I belong.There are good and bad people in allcommunities in this world.

Shri Krishnamurthy sir,

From my short experience in this forum, I had a better opinion about you so far; not any more. Sir, you will find - if you really try - one or two brahmin girls/women in prostitution; will you therefore say that "prostitution" is therefore an integral part of Tamil Brahmin culture? And you tend to make sweeping conclusions like "I am afraid that Shri.Sarma61 never go through newspapers." Does such tendencies adorn a person like you? Or, is someone else using your username and pw? I wonder!!

I am extremely sorry shri.Sarma61 that you have misjudged me.I will be the last person to hurt the feelings of anyone.I sincerely apologise if I
have hurt your feelings.
You had joined this forum in January2011 and was participating in the discussions when we had our differences in our way of thinking.
Suddenly I did not see your postings for quite sometime.Now that you are again active in this forum,I welcome your return and expect to see your posts in different threads.Another member Shri.Sangom has stopped his posts and I am feeling his absence.
IF I get opportunity to meet you in person,I may perhaps be in a position to convince you citing hundreds of instances to prove my point that people from Brahmin community are no longer paragons of virtue and good behaviour.They are as good or as bad like any other community
of people following Hindu Faith and other faith.

I am extremely sorry shri.Sarma61 that you have misjudged me.I will be the last person to hurt the feelings of anyone.I sincerely apologise if I
have hurt your feelings.
You had joined this forum in January2011 and was participating in the discussions when we had our differences in our way of thinking.
Suddenly I did not see your postings for quite sometime.Now that you are again active in this forum,I welcome your return and expect to see your posts in different threads.Another member Shri.Sangom has stopped his posts and I am feeling his absence.
IF I get opportunity to meet you in person,I may perhaps be in a position to convince you citing hundreds of instances to prove my point that people from Brahmin community are no longer paragons of virtue and good behaviour.They are as good or as bad like any other community
of people following Hindu Faith and other faith.

Shri Krishnamurthy sir,

I am sorry for being forthright in expressing what I feel. This is a shortcoming in me. But here I still feel that brahmins may or may not be ideals of virtue and good behaviour but, as a community, whether we want to teach our next generation, the positive ideals or knowingly teach them all the bad, anti-social, immoral, etc., activities; so long as that does not become our aim (I was told by my parents that in the olden days, about 100 years back, there used to be a criminal group - call them caste or tribe - in Valliyur just outside the boundary of the travancore state, and that travellers were always under the threat of murderous loot by this tribe. They trained their children to become excellent looters!) I feel we need not discuss those unnecessary topics in this forum. Shri Praveen has said that his aim is to make this forum as a resource base for all that is relevant to the brahminical way of life, though we as brahmins, are constantly moving away from that. Perhaps this may convince you about the bonafide of my comments.

Dear Shri.Sarma61,
I appreciate your anxiety that the next generation of the Brahmin community should be fed with only those values which are relevant to the Brahminical way of life.
Whether we like it or not the entire world is changing so fast that it is very difficult for old timers to keep pace with these developments.Youngsters from all communities including the Brahmin community are attracted towards anything that is modern.
When I greet my grandchildren on their Nakshtra birth day,they inform me that their birth day is some other date and why I am greeting him/her on a wrong date.Even if I try to explain they are not in a mood to listen and will say that every person can have only one birth day which is recorded in their birth certificate.
I often wonder why 6th December is remembered as Babri Demolition day both by the Hindus and followers of Islam.Both have their own Almanac and a date equivalent to
6th December,1992 can be found each year according to the Almanac followed by each community
and announced in advance.
I am unable to understand your reservations in discussing about"Advaitha" which is a part of our Scriptures which every Hindu(including Brahmins) should know.
There is another thread about 'Advaitha' started by Shri.Sangom and from his first post
You will know that the subject"Why is Advaithic Philosophy unacceptable" was being discussed in the website of JAMAAT-e-ISLAMIC HIND Kerala and Shri.Sangom started a separate thread in this Forum.
Recently I listened to a lecture on "Vedantic Philosophy" by Swami.R.Parthasarathy in You Tube.According to him our Vedantic philosophy is the last portion of
our Scriptures.

Last edited:
Dear Shri.Sarma61,
I appreciate your anxiety that the next generation of the Brahmin community should be fed with only those values which are relevant to the Brahminical way of life.
Whether we like it or not the entire world is changing so fast that it is very difficult for old timers to keep pace with these developments.Youngsters from all communities including the Brahmin community are attracted towards anything that is modern.
When I greet my grandchildren on their Nakshtra birth day,they inform me that their birth day is some other date and why I am greeting him/her on a wrong date.Even if I try to explain they are not in a mood to listen and will say that every person can have only one birth day which is recorded in their birth certificate.
I often wonder why 6th December is remembered as Babri Demolition day both by the Hindus and followers of Islam.Both have their own Almanac and a date equivalent to
6th December,1992 can be found each year according to the Almanac followed by each community
and announced in advance.
I am unable to understand your reservations in discussing about"Advaitha" which is a part of our Scriptures which every Hindu(including Brahmins) should know.
There is another thread about 'Advaitha' started by Shri.Sangom and from his first post
You will know that the subject"Why is Advaithic Philosophy unacceptable" was being discussed in the website of JAMAAT-e-ISLAMIC HIND Kerala and Shri.Sangom started a separate thread in this Forum.
Recently I listened to a lecture on "Vedantic Philosophy" by Swami.R.Parthasarathy in You Tube.According to him our Vedantic philosophy is the last portion of
our Scriptures.

Sir,

I wrote about advaita in that other thread because no ordinary Tamil Brahmin really knows about these philosophies, nor does anyone bother to understand and follow them in their lives. Smartas like me, talk now and then as if they are great authorities on advaita by making general statements like இதெல்லாம் மாயை தானே, ஆசார்யர் என்ன சொன்னார் "மாயாமயம் இதம் அகிலம் ஹி த்வா...", ப்ரஹ்ம சத்யம் ஜகன்மித்யா", etc., that is all. Therefore IMHO we may accept that we generally don't care about these vedantam at all.

As you pointed out earlier, I joined this forum some months ago. But after a few days, I found that the discussions here do not have any relevance for very ordinary tamil brahmins like me, but mostly for people of a different class. There is much denigration of brahmins here but most members probably feel that they are "super brahmins", a group of exclusive, rich and highly sophisticated "top echelon" of tamil brahmins who think they are deciding the way of life and beliefs of the thousands of ordinary tamil brahmins:)

So, I stopped logging on to the forum and used to lurk behind the sene; and, after this much time, forgot the password. Now, when I saw that the moderator has clearly stated that he wishes to support the brahminical culture and the owner of the website also has expressed his aim that this should be a place for preserving our Tamil Brahmin way of living and all that goes with it, I felt that the forum may change its "colour" and came back — after a few unsuccessful password attempts.

But I am disappointed, to be frank. People here are wedded to some sort of peculiar outlook on life which most ordinary tamil brahmins will find strange IMHO. This seems to be a club of the exclusive elite, even now. So, I may linger for some more days but will discontinue, probably for ever.

The only message I will like to leave is that the Moderator's assurance or wish is not reflected in the forum, even now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back