• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Maanam Ketta Tamil Cinema!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dear Sowbhagyavathi vanam9394 Ji,

Thank you for your compliment. My 'seniority' comes from having posted numerous items here!

While I said that as a community we will not regain our 'status' unless we go back to the Varna system, we need to think whether that is even possible. Unless all the four Varnas agree that this system should come back, we can not go back.

And what is the possibility that a group will willingly allow to be called a 'Shudra' class, with all the attributes that such a labeling will bring? Will the Kshatrias become exclusively the fighters and so the country's defence forces will only exclusively recruit them? Within the context of the modern world and industry, how do we partition off the work according to the four Varna dharmas?

These issues seem to me are so large as to prevent us going back to re implementing the Varna system for the society, let alone getting untangled first from the present ugliness of the Jathi divisions.

But while I am saying this, we need to make sure that we respect the wishes and the lifestyles of folks who wish to live anywhere in the continuum of the Varna scale. We are all products of our upbringing and the changes demanded by the modern living, while sure to come, will come at different paces for different beings.

This is why we need to concentrate on focusing on how to improve the condition of our community with concrete actions and move forward. I am happy that we have a Forum like this that allows us to speak and discuss and unite on certain concrete actions.

Pranams,
KRS

We have to start somewhere instead of pointing at others. If we want to gain our respect back, we have to start following our Varna dharma.

Last edited:
Dear vanam ji,

Agreed about the following :

All you wrote is your opinion .

but....

.but they are not true....

this will be confirmed on the Last Judgement Day , the day when Srikrishna floats on the leaf and comes around !

Faith can shake mountains , forget a Human Being !!
I do not in any way want to indulge in changing anyone's faith ! i can't either !

i am also a believer of the " Wonders of Prayers !" , etc but the point here is u are too fussy about following varna dharma , when the need of the hour is to prevent guys like me from following vanara dharma!

Gita also says Do your duty and leave the rest to GOD and the hidden point is For doing one's duty , he needs to have GOD by the side of him to make the journey of LIFE , as a guided tour !

View points differ ! Opinions differ

If work is worship, what you got to say about a thief or Gunda !!! You are talking like total communist.[/quote]

Thief or a gunda ( in hindi ), hope u don't mean -( Gunda , thadiya sothukku ready 'a in tamil !)

A son of a thief , if born to such a father / mother ( in these days ) is not punished by GOD for being so until he comes of a certain age / circumstance / acquires knowledge that Doing this Act is a bad karma !
until then how can u blame him ?? Its GOD's destiny !

Now u feel HOW BLESSED are WE ! when compared to the Under privileged !
How much of Thanksgiving ,we need to give to GOD !
( I still doubt if he'll ever give us a free berth in heaven unless we reach out to the himalayas ( 75 +) and sit and meditate there for the rest of the Life, as was the practice , in the past ( hear say !)

And let us avoid using the last word that u have ( above ) in forums !
Let's stick on to hindu religion ! I hate politics and something to do with that !

Last edited:
Hey, Guys.

Did you know that we Hindus had a Sasthra called Saura Sasthra or the Art of Robbing. Skanda was the favorite deity of the thieves.

Dharma is a very tricky word. Means different things to different people on different occasions. No. I wont start now.

Thanks.

Dear vanam ji,

but....

this will be confirmed on the Last Judgement Day , the day when Srikrishna floats on the leaf and comes around !

I do not in any way want to indulge in changing anyone's faith ! i can't either !

i am also a believer of the " Wonders of Prayers !" , etc but the point here is u are too fussy about following varna dharma , when the need of the hour is to prevent guys like me from following vanara dharma!

Gita also says Do your duty and leave the rest to GOD and the hidden point is For doing one's duty , he needs to have GOD by the side of him to make the journey of LIFE , as a guided tour !

If work is worship, what you got to say about a thief or Gunda !!! You are talking like total communist.

Thief or a gunda ( in hindi ), hope u don't mean -( Gunda , thadiya sothukku ready 'a in tamil !)

A son of a thief , if born to such a father / mother ( in these days ) is not punished by GOD for being so until he comes of a certain age / circumstance / acquires knowledge that Doing this Act is a bad karma !

I am not talking abt thief's son but the thief himself who robs people knowingly. Will you agree that his work is worship ??

( I still doubt if he'll ever give us a free berth in heaven unless we reach out to the himalayas ( 75 +) and sit and meditate there for the rest of the Life, as was the practice , in the past ( hear say !)

Let's stick on to hindu religion ! I hate politics and something to do with that ![/quote]

Dear vanam ji,

but....

If work is worship, what you got to say about a thief or Gunda !!! You are talking like total communist.

Let's stick on to hindu religion ! I hate politics and something to do with that ![/quote]

Vijisesh
In your last post you said " By doing prayers , u get yourself under control , u believe in yourself and your capabilities , but i don't think that u can ever mascapolish ( butter) GOD to achieve your needs! " Now you are saying you believe in wonders of prayer. Seems like your faith is shaking. What makes you think "the need of the hour is to prevent guys like me from following vanara dharma!"

Last edited:
Dear friends: (vanam9394, vijisesh)
Just look at the thread's heading: "Maanam ketta Tamil cinema..". Looks like we are completely lost where we were going and now it has taken off in different directions!! Reminds me of my days of driving in upstate New York without asking for directions!!
Seriously, why don't you start an appropriate thread on this? ok?
Thanks, guys!

Appropriate Thread !

Yes, silver fox ,
for a long time , whenever soemone clicks
" manam ketta tamil cinema "
expecting some movie related info !
he will be disappointed to find something else !

So as per ur advise can we start a thread called
" How to control and streamline the minds of young tamil brahmins !"

I will try this

Thanks

Dear friends: (vanam9394, vijisesh)
Just look at the thread's heading: "Maanam ketta Tamil cinema..". Looks like we are completely lost where we were going and now it has taken off in different directions!! Reminds me of my days of driving in upstate New York without asking for directions!!
Seriously, why don't you start an appropriate thread on this? ok?
Thanks, guys!

Dear Enlightened Members,
i am little intrigued at certain propositions. For example, when Americans or West Europeans say 'Think Big', 'Think Great' then only you can succeed, then, most people today would buy it without any grudge. But, when my father says that I should think 'big' or 'great' because to be born as a brahmin is a great boon, why should i not accept it?

Certainly, to be borne in a brahminical family, indeed, is a great blessing! because one comes to know the refined way of living, from morning till night, one is exposed to the time tested truths of living which includes simple living and high thinking, vegetarianism, hygiene both external and internal, and so on. Perhaps, for some others it takes a bit of extra effort to get to know or practice it.

Sometimes, i wonder how nice to have been born in tamilnadu and also having learnt Tamil, as a result, i am exposed to the great Tamil literature, the Thevarams, Thiruvasagam, Thirukural and Divya Prabhandam and so on. And, is there anything wrong in my thinking that i am a Tamil and hence i could read all these and get the pleasure; this thought comes to me when i see many of my colleagues or others whom i come into cantact with or live amidst them for years, and sometime i compare myself with say a 'naga' (People of Nagaland) or people of Mizoram, inside i think and thank God that i am born in a Tamil culture- similarly, a thinking of relative superiority comes in when i think that i am Tamil Brahmin, and i possess (inculcated in me from childhood without any personal effort)a refined thought, and the ways of living and interpretation of life which can be better compared to even some of the brahmins of northern India, and can you say that i am wrong; and most importantly, i am not boasting to them or involved in making them accept that i should be considered superior. Perhaps, if i do that then, you can tell me wrong and my thinking is wrong. As long as that superior thinking is going to make me more and more refined and more and more learned and more and more good, what is wrong in my thinking? i would continue this thread.

Dear Members,
i am little intrigued at certain propositions. For example, when Americans or West Europeans say 'Think Big', 'Think Great' then only you can succeed, then, most people today would buy it without any grudge. But, when my father says that I should think 'big' or 'great' because to be born as a brahmin is a great boon, why should i not accept it?

Certainly, to be borne in a brahminical family, indeed, is a great blessing! because one comes to know the refined way of living, from morning till night, one is exposed to the time tested truths of living which includes simple living and high thinking, vegetarianism, hygiene both external and internal, and so on. Perhaps, for some others it takes a bit of extra effort to get to know or practice it.

Sometimes, i wonder how nice to have been born in tamilnadu and also having learnt Tamil, as a result, i am exposed to the great Tamil literature, the Thevarams, Thiruvasagam, Thirukural and Divya Prabhandam and so on. And, is there anything wrong in my thinking that i am a Tamil and hence i could read all these and get the pleasure; this thought comes to me when i see many of my colleagues or others whom i come into cantact with or live amidst them for years, and sometime i compare myself with say a 'naga' (People of Nagaland) or people of Mizoram, inside i think and thank God that i am born in a Tamil culture- similarly, a thinking of relative superiority comes in when i think that i am Tamil Brahmin, and i possess (inculcated in me from childhood without any personal effort)a refined thought, and the ways of living and interpretation of life which can be better compared to even some of the brahmins of northern India, and can you say that i am wrong; and most importantly, i am not boasting to them or involved in making them accept that i should be considered superior. Perhaps, if i do that then, you can tell me wrong and my thinking is wrong. As long as that superior thinking is going to make me more and more refined and more and more learned and more and more good, what is wrong in my thinking?

I asked my colleagues who belong to the north whether they know 'Ardha-narishwara', they said is a 'Hijira' form of Shiva, and went one stip ahead and said that Shiva himself is a 'Hijira'. While for me a Tamil and that too Tamil Brahmin, the very idea of 'Ardhanarishwara' is so big and great and needs no elaboration here as all of you know that; but the point i am trying to arrive is if i think that i am feeling superior for having bron as a brahmin and that too tamil brahmin gives me immense satisfaction and a sense of superioity (inside me) and i am not saying or declaring that others should accept my superiority; but that feeling gives me an increased level of confidence and helps me to accomplish certainl tasks - and that you cannot call it wrong.

It may not be out of place here to cite the example of ideas of persons like
Late M.N. Srinivas, well known sociologist observed that anyone getting refined in their lifestyle is nothing but getting sanscritsed (getting into the brahminical way of life);

Last edited:
Mr Iyengar
You may have to read some recent history...the whole Dravida movement is rooted against brahmins for the atrocity committed by them by misusing their power. Otherwise, why should the whole Dravidian population single handedly suppress the minority brahmin population. what might be the reason ?? they are not doing it to pass time or just for fun. we must try to learn from our mistakes and try not to repeat it.

If you're so convinced by Dravidian Propaganda that Brahmins have been oppressors in the past, then there's no reason for you to whine about the treatment you're receiving now. "As you sow, so shall you reap..." Accept your suffering as part of your karma.

Suresh ji,
No-one is whining about anything here !
It is just a bursting out of emotions , out of frustration by some people, as a result of finding a completely different picture of the world and its inhabitants from what they have conceived in the realization of their inner minds .
If some fuel is added , the more merrier will be the Fire in their minds !

Dear all,
As a first timer on this thread, was so engrossed in the discussion that I did not even realize the digression away from tamil cinema until Silverfoxji pointed it out.

With respect to tamil cinema, it has been my observation also that brahmins and their portrayal are being taken for granted by everyone, including brahmins themselves. One can say, show anything about brahmins and the brahmin community with impunity. Even when a member of the brahmin community is shown as overcoming great opposition it is represented as something feeble and pathetic. (Am reminded of the movie "Alaigal Oivathillai").
I had also read the links posted in another thread about the brahmin community and the Kanchi periyava's comments about varna dharma. Unfortunately we are dealing with a dam that is already burst. It is no longer possible to fix it as a leak. In the name of reservations, vote bank politics, career development etc., all sects of the varna dharma have been breached, and currently exist (caste) only as an entitlement for votes and preferential reservations. In my humble opinion the brahmin community has been one of the most accommodating and flexible with respect to communal feelings. Not only has the community made strives in other spheres other than the traditional role of the brahmin, but have also been open in terms of accepting other communities into their individual families through marriage. There has to be a way of brining about awareness of this in the minds of the general public. It is unfortunate that the Kazhagam parties continue to exploit the community for votes.

Tamil Cinema & Brahmins

There has been a consistent attack on ‘Tamil Cinema’ that it portrays Brahmins and their culture in a shabby manner. Invariably, in the last 60 years, it is the community which dominated the Tamil cinema, be it in music, playback, or in production and direction. Many a time, it is a Brahmin producer or producer director who has brought in such ‘critiques’ on brahminical way of life. In late 1960s and 1970s, it was K. Balachander who portrayed the community as something unique in its inhibitions and superstitious attitudes (as if every other community/caste is so rational and well-tuned). Others like Bharathiraja, Bhakiaraj et al, have made their fortunes by further exploiting this trend.

Our own people, the Tamil Brahmins themselves are partly responsible for this
sad state of affairs; even now many, particularly in play-back singing, are after
the major producers of Tamil films for chances; even after having got acclaim in international scene as Karnatic singers, these men and women would do anything to get a chance to sing the ‘bath-room hummings’ in Tamil cinema, for money, just for money; and we the Tamil Brahmins who are settled in North American countries like Canada and the U.S.A. or in the West European countries give a green carpet welcome to these ‘also’ bathroom singers and take pride in listening to their ‘Kirtans!’; henceforth, we should have a criteria that we would not invite a classical karnatic singer to these ‘fortune lands’ if (s)he had performed in a Tamil cinema. Can we do that? A big No. Because, most of us are PSEUDO, only we want others to show us respect and regard, but not we to our own community. Here, we should not compare those who sang in Tamil cinema like Papanasam Sivan and others of old times (who used to sing in Tamil cinema their own compositions) and the days were different then. Now, the professional singers (carnatic) earn astronomical amounts for their concerts; they have made name and fame; and if they go and sing such lusty lyrics in Tamil cinema, they are doing it just for money and money alone; and the community they belong to deserves to be ‘criticised and mocked at.
We the Tamil Brahmins compare ourselves to the Jews; how many Jews (pop singers or other creative artists participating in things which are ‘Islamic in nature? Or, how many Islamic singers or other such creative/performing artists doing things with the Jews or Jewish companies? Please, name them and provide some detail.
Of late, the ‘small screen’ has joined the cinema in caricaturing the Brahmins. And, all surveys reveal that a substantial portion of the audience belonging to the Tamil Brahmins. Interestingly, the Tamil Brahmins are the largest urbanized community in the world! It means a larger proportion of this elite and educated community is fast becoming the slaves of the small screen. This is a big challenge to our community. Like many other things we are ignoring this menace, but soon a bigger price to be paid for this negligence. I know many readers would brush-me-aside with a notion of idiocity on my side. But, that is what I am trying to emphasize upon; we are not ready for any sort of ‘reflection’ on our own selves; and we want everything to go right for us. It is high time we start thinking of arresting this trend. Perhaps, it is we the people of Tamil Brahmin community possess this extraordinary character of digesting all atrocities in a positive manner. Strange, but truth.

with regards,
balaiyer.

What "Balaiyer2" has written is true. Brahmin Community is rediculed in the Tamil Cinema and TV in every possible way. It has become a status symbol for some Actors, brahmin by birth, to flaunt their anti-brahmin culture. Most of us take every insult on the community for granted, except perhaps Mr.Subramaniam Swami and Cho. Ramaswamy. The reason is perhaps we do not have strong political backing of any Party, neither leadership. Some years ago when Bangalore DD portrayed a brahmin priest in poor taste as a thief in the temple, in a Kannada play, entire Kannada Brahmin Community under the leadership of Late Ramaksrishna Hegde took a procession in strong numbers to the DD and Governor and made the DD to withdraw the play under an apology. All the Brahmin leaders from other political parties also joined the agitation. This will never happen in Tamil Nadu.

sirs- as the initiator of this thread and major contributor, i would also like to know specifically the lack of focussing, lack of objectivity and digression from dignity which create disgustion, so that i can correct myself in the future. the participants in this thread, including myself have contributed many viewpoints in other threads also. how is it that members who are so 'dignified' in other threads, become 'disgusting' in this thread alone????

you are saying bramins should be dignified. does this mean non bramins need not be dignified at all???
-------------

Please continue your posts, I somehow think some non-brahmin posing as Vaideekasri(name lifted from a brahmin magazine) is commenting thus in support of non-brahmins.

:juggle:
sirs- SILA NERNANGAIL SILA MANITHARGAL is probably only film in which lakshmi has not overacted (to say lakshmi is a female shivaji is an understatement, and even an insult to the shivaji. actualy in overacting, lakshmi is equal to 100 shivajis!) lakshmi got national award for best actress for this film.

the story is about an extrememly sensitive topic - rape and that too rape of a bramin women by a non bramin. still the potrayal is not offensive to bramins in any way, unlike ARANGETRAM in which porn director K. BALACHANDAR showed a bramin as a prostitute.

I remember reading somewhere that SILA NERANGALIL SILA MANITHARGAL is only tamil film of international standards

Agree with you that Sila nerangalil sila manithargal is one the finest film in Tamil. other good films I remember 1) Aval appadithan 2) Agraharathil Kazhuthai (one should see the film to comment)(Here I expect furore quoting this film name)(Another film portrayed brahmins not in a bad taste- title here used only for the subject need)3)Yarukaga azhuthan 4) Mullum malarum 5) Pootatha pootugal 6) Uthiri pookal and the like. It is not even 0.000001% of the tamil films made.

Tamil cinema

:plane:
Agree with you that Sila nerangalil sila manithargal is one the finest film in Tamil. other good films I remember 1) Aval appadithan 2) Agraharathil Kazhuthai (one should see the film to comment)(Here I expect furore quoting this film name)(Another film portrayed brahmins not in a bad taste- title here used only for the subject need)3)Yarukaga azhuthan 4) Mullum malarum 5) Pootatha pootugal 6) Uthiri pookal and the like. It is not even 0.000001% of the tamil films made.

move

I am ready to move to Karnataka. I think thats what Tamil Brahmins should do. Chanakya pandit said dont live in a place where you are not respected !!

What "Balaiyer2" has written is true. Brahmin Community is rediculed in the Tamil Cinema and TV in every possible way. It has become a status symbol for some Actors, brahmin by birth, to flaunt their anti-brahmin culture. Most of us take every insult on the community for granted, except perhaps Mr.Subramaniam Swami and Cho. Ramaswamy. The reason is perhaps we do not have strong political backing of any Party, neither leadership. Some years ago when Bangalore DD portrayed a brahmin priest in poor taste as a thief in the temple, in a Kannada play, entire Kannada Brahmin Community under the leadership of Late Ramaksrishna Hegde took a procession in strong numbers to the DD and Governor and made the DD to withdraw the play under an apology. All the Brahmin leaders from other political parties also joined the agitation. This will never happen in Tamil Nadu.

vanam,

have you not been reading the newspapers? not sure if you are aware of some serious fights between tamil nadu and karnataka. not sure if they would welcome another tamil moving in there....

Karnataka would welcome anyone who puts in an effort to identify himself with their culture. Anyone who keeps 'bragging' about his (non-existing!) linguistic suzerainty will be treated with scant respect and if need be, booted out.

Anyone who moves with his physical 'baggage' only is welcome.

There is no doubting that there are fanatical elements in Karnataka but it shouldnt be forgotten even during such a time that the seeds of secessionist, narrow, linguistic chauvinism were sown by the egregious Dravidians.

Reap as you sow !

well said

Dear Hariharan
Very well said..I am going to Karnataka not as a Tamilian but as a Brahmin who wants to follow our culture and tradition. I am sure I will be welcomed there.

Karnataka would welcome anyone who puts in an effort to identify himself with their culture. Anyone who keeps 'bragging' about his (non-existing!) linguistic suzerainty will be treated with scant respect and if need be, booted out.

Anyone who moves with his physical 'baggage' only is welcome.

There is no doubting that there are fanatical elements in Karnataka but it shouldnt be forgotten even during such a time that the seeds of secessionist, narrow, linguistic chauvinism were sown by the egregious Dravidians.

Reap as you sow !

Tamil brahmins are busy

I also wish to add another point that most Tamil Brahmins are busy watching TV and latest movies. So they dont have time to think about anything else.
There is also a systematic effort my non-brahmin teenagers to corrupt brahmin boys by indulging them in meat-eating and drinking especially in big cities like Madras. Parents of brahmin teenagers dont care about these. If this continues, Brahmins will be extinct in few generations.

=

Latest movie

Danush's Yaradi Ni Mohini movie shows heroine as a brahmin lady. When are they going to stop showing heroine as brahmins ? What can we done regarding this ? I wish to know if we can do anything at all !!!

Dear Sri / Ms Vanam9394

I am happy to see a lot of concern in you for the welfare of the community. But, I saw your last tow posts as under:

I also wish to add another point that most Tamil Brahmins are busy watching TV and latest movies. So they dont have time to think about anything else.
There is also a systematic effort my non-brahmin teenagers to corrupt brahmin boys by indulging them in meat-eating and drinking especially in big cities like Madras. Parents of brahmin teenagers dont care about these. If this continues, Brahmins will be extinct in few generations

Danush's Yaradi Ni Mohini movie shows heroine as a brahmin lady. When are they going to stop showing heroine as brahmins ? What can we done regarding this ? I wish to know if we can do anything at all !!!

My observations and comments are before you as under:

1. You have posted the comment on Danush movie at 4.45 am (IST?) on 13.4.08, the Tamil New year day - at the Brahma Muhurtham !

2. Your most immediate comments contradict one another.

3. I for one come to know that there is a movie called Yaaradi Nee Mohini and that so and so are actors and so and so is the storyline only from your post. There could be many like me as well and many like you as well. You are taking excellent efforts to keep us informed.

4. While so, why find fault with such of those who view these movies? Obviously no one can stop others from doing certain things as long as they are not patently illegal. Time is the curator of all ills. It will take care, a proper care that too.

5. Why dont you spend the time then in reading some of the best posts made by Sri Nachinarkiniyan, Sri KRS, Sri Tech_rsr, Sri Saab, Sri Anbu and the like. They contain varied and very useful information. The queries raised by persons like Sri Malgova Mango more often than not bring about the best answers. In fact, if you are some one who is so concerned and would want to do something really for the community as you often make clarion calls, you must read Sri Tech-rsr's recent posts in the thread "Brahmins and Non-brahmins: The present day". He outlines the issues "threadbare" and also aims at solving them. Participate in the discussions there and use your energy positively. That would do good to you and the community.

With warm regards

Appaiah

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back