• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Liquor tops sales at Indian airport Duty free shops

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like the Indians of all classes would do anything for a bottle...No wonder the politicians not only look to the bottle to fill the State's coffers but also as an inducement to our folks during election time:

Read this article from Times of India:
In India, booze tops duty-free shops’ sales

Chinmayi Shalya TNN

Mumbai: Liquor is the most favourite item for passengers shopping at duty-free outlets at Indian airports, with the sales being almost four times that of the global average in terms of percentage share.
A report by an aviation analysis and research body says that wines and spirits comprise 63% of the total international duty-free sales at Indian airports. This is in sharp contrast to the international trend where alcohol comprises only 17% of the total duty-free sales.
“Demand for duty-free liquor is strong, because of the availability of premium brands at much lower prices, than in the market,” said Kapil Kaul, CEO, Indian subcontinent and Middle East, Center for Asia Pacific Aviation, which prepared the report.

Delhi airport tops duty-free earnings

Mumbai: Retail has been the key factor in pushing up nonaeronautical or retail revenue at big airports like Mumbai and Delhi, says a recent report by Center for Asia Pacific Aviation (CAPA). While the number of flyers has grown phenomenally, the growth in non-aeronautical revenue (revenue from retail and other facilities) has gone up by 300% in the past five to six years.
Delhi airport makes most revenue from duty free ($72.7 million in 2011) followed by Mumbai ($60.6 million). “Delhi has the luxury of space and with the T3 being operational, retail has become a big part of the airport. Mumbai has space constraints. Once the new terminal at Mumbai opens, the revenue from retail would climb much higher,” said Kapil Kaul, CEO, Indian subcontinent and Middle East, CAPA.
According to CAPA, revenue from duty free went up by 400% in five years in Delhi. In Mumbai, it went up by 542%. “But Mumbai started at a lower base of $9.4 million whereas Delhi already had $14.3 million revenue from duty free retail,” said Kaul. “Both airports will use retail potential better in the next five years,” he said.
The key retail attraction for Indian flyers is duty free liquor. The revenue from retail is pitched to grow by 20-25% every year, with airports expanding their retail area and scope. “While liquor will remain the popular item, passengers are also opening up to other things like fragrances, food and even clothes,” said Kaul. As per the CAPA report, the global duty-free market was 23 billion dollars in 2010. The duty-free sales in India are $215 million, which is less than 1% of the total revenue. “This is because Indian airports started late on retail infrastructure,” said an analyst.

getimage.dll
transparent.gif

If the inner happiness is reached through spirituality this wont grow.Sadly the country appears to lose its sheen with spirituallity in the name of diverse cultural acceptance.

If the inner happiness is reached through spirituality this wont grow.Sadly the country appears to lose its sheen with spirituallity in the name of diverse cultural acceptance.

Sri. Lakshminarasimhan, Greetings.

The inner happiness and outer happiness is reached when we behave like human beings. We don't need spiruality for that. Even I can do that. Spirituality is an humbug. down to earth simplicity is the truth. More than half the population of India lives in simplicity; but doesn't realise that simplicity is the way to happiness.

Happiness? This is what I call happiness.. Naayagan - Anthi mazhai megam - Ilaiyaraaja - YouTube There is nothing more spiritual than this.

Cheers!

Greetings.

Personally I wouldn't buy grog in Indian duty free shops. They are expensive. Cigarettes are dirt cheap in Indian duty free shops. Singapore is the best to buy grog in the duty free shops. I paid like 22 Singapore dollars ( it was about 20 dollars Aussie) for a litre of 50% alcohol scotch in Singapore! It was very cheap!

Cheers!

Alcohol has had its root in India long enough and much before Western culture invasion.
Alcohol is NOT due to diverse cultural acceptance.

Sanskrit word for alcohol does exists(Madhu,Madira) and since Sanskrit is the oldest language in the world there is a high likelihood we Indians could have found the formula C2H5OH.

Alcohol has had its root in India long enough and much before Western culture invasion.
Alcohol is NOT due to diverse cultural acceptance.

Sanskrit word for alcohol does exists(Madhu,Madira) and since Sanskrit is the oldest language in the world there is a high likelihood we Indians could have found the formula C2H5OH.

I seem to like that stuff very much! This is a long break for me..... I am getting more C2H5OH, Jack Daniels brand, tonight too!

Cheers!

I seem to like that stuff very much! This is a long break for me..... I am getting more C2H5OH, Jack Daniels brand, tonight too!

Cheers!

Dear Raghy,

Even though I do not drink I still have a good knowledge of the names of the alcohols available.

You see western names like Jack Daniels,Johnny Walker have no "kickku".

We Indians are still the best...Imagine alcohol with a name like
BLACK DOG hearing the name itself a person can get high.

Mera Joota Hai Japani Yeh Patloon Englishtani
Sar Pe Laal Topi Roosi Phir Bhi Sharab Hai Hindustani.

My shoes are Japanese
These trousers are English
The red hat on my head is Russian
But even so, my ALCOHOL is Indian

Last edited:
Sowbagyavathy Renuka,

We Indians are still the best...Imagine alcohol with a name like
BLACK DOG hearing the name itself a person can get high.

In india, control on the alcohol content is not that high. Once in ChennaiI bought a beer which knocked me out cold! Later on I found out, the alcohol content could fluctuate between 5 % to 22%! Here is Australia, in Queensland, the max allowed is 43%. So, I can always control the amount of alcohol in me! For example, I already had 3 double, still could type coherently! Thank you, but I like this drink better. Secondly, I don't get any hang over either due to good distillation.

I am posting a nice song for you. Not connected to the subject though... the song I am listening to.....

Chingari Koi Bhadke - Sharmila Tagore & Rajesh Khanna - Amar Prem - YouTube

Cheers!

Sowbagyavathy Renuka,

In india, control on the alcohol content is not that high. Once in ChennaiI bought a beer which knocked me out cold! Later on I found out, the alcohol content could fluctuate between 5 % to 22%! Here is Australia, in Queensland, the max allowed is 43%. So, I can always control the amount of alcohol in me! For example, I already had 3 double, still could type coherently! Thank you, but I like this drink better. Secondly, I don't get any hang over either due to good distillation.

I am posting a nice song for you. Not connected to the subject though... the song I am listening to.....

Chingari Koi Bhadke - Sharmila Tagore & Rajesh Khanna - Amar Prem - YouTube

Cheers!
hi raghuy sir,
OLD MONK rum is alltime favorite in indian army .......scotch may be for just timepass.....IMFL always good....i saw always indians
rush in heathrow/schipol duty free shops for liquor/cigarettes...

Looks like the Indians of all classes would do anything for a bottle...No wonder the politicians not only look to the bottle to fill the State's coffers but also as an inducement to our folks during election time:

Read this article from Times of India:
In India, booze tops duty-free shops’ sales

Chinmayi Shalya TNN

Mumbai: Liquor is the most favourite item for passengers shopping at duty-free outlets at Indian airports, with the sales being almost four times that of the global average in terms of percentage share.
A report by an aviation analysis and research body says that wines and spirits comprise 63% of the total international duty-free sales at Indian airports. This is in sharp contrast to the international trend where alcohol comprises only 17% of the total duty-free sales.
“Demand for duty-free liquor is strong, because of the availability of premium brands at much lower prices, than in the market,” said Kapil Kaul, CEO, Indian subcontinent and Middle East, Center for Asia Pacific Aviation, which prepared the report.

Delhi airport tops duty-free earnings

Mumbai: Retail has been the key factor in pushing up nonaeronautical or retail revenue at big airports like Mumbai and Delhi, says a recent report by Center for Asia Pacific Aviation (CAPA). While the number of flyers has grown phenomenally, the growth in non-aeronautical revenue (revenue from retail and other facilities) has gone up by 300% in the past five to six years.
Delhi airport makes most revenue from duty free ($72.7 million in 2011) followed by Mumbai ($60.6 million). “Delhi has the luxury of space and with the T3 being operational, retail has become a big part of the airport. Mumbai has space constraints. Once the new terminal at Mumbai opens, the revenue from retail would climb much higher,” said Kapil Kaul, CEO, Indian subcontinent and Middle East, CAPA.
According to CAPA, revenue from duty free went up by 400% in five years in Delhi. In Mumbai, it went up by 542%. “But Mumbai started at a lower base of $9.4 million whereas Delhi already had $14.3 million revenue from duty free retail,” said Kaul. “Both airports will use retail potential better in the next five years,” he said.
The key retail attraction for Indian flyers is duty free liquor. The revenue from retail is pitched to grow by 20-25% every year, with airports expanding their retail area and scope. “While liquor will remain the popular item, passengers are also opening up to other things like fragrances, food and even clothes,” said Kaul. As per the CAPA report, the global duty-free market was 23 billion dollars in 2010. The duty-free sales in India are $215 million, which is less than 1% of the total revenue. “This is because Indian airports started late on retail infrastructure,” said an analyst.

getimage.dll
transparent.gif

In my opinion that is purely the market condition. If liquor is more expensive outside the duty free shop, the sales in duty free shop will be higher. If they sold Gold at 20% below market, that would have been the highest.

In US duty free shops the price is higher than what you can buy on the internet, so people do not buy at duty free shops.
It is a misleading statistics.

For example in cigarettes one pack of Marlboro costs $4.20 after all tax and duty in South Carolina, Virginia etc.
The same pack in New york city costs almost $10. So all smokers buy cigarettes when they travel to Virginia.
Same is true of Guns, that is why mayor Bloomberg is upset with Virginia.

Last edited:
In my opinion that is purely the market condition. If liquor is more expensive outside the duty free shop, the sales in duty free shop will be higher. If they sold Gold at 20% below market, that would have been the highest.

In US duty free shops the price is higher than what you can buy on the internet, so people do not buy at duty free shops.
It is a misleading statistics.

For example in cigarettes one pack of Marlboro costs $4.20 after all tax and duty in South Carolina, Virginia etc.
The same pack in New york city costs almost $10. So all smokers buy cigarettes when they travel to Virginia.
Same is true of Guns, that is why mayor Bloomberg is upset with Virginia.

The data is of Indian duty free shops which assemble the imported stuff....

But for the given list of items, the Indian's craze for the booze is unbeatable...

In Muslim countries like Indonesia & Malaysia they price the alcohol higher to control,consumption.

For luxury electronic goods,cameras, watches etc Singapore airport rates are pretty cheap compared to even retail shops

In case of gold jewellery Dubai is the choice on account of the quality & huge variety...The prizing is determined by the exchange rate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back