• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Life in Modern India

Status
Not open for further replies.

KRS

Folks,

I am posting this new thread to give you all a different perspective from what is being posted constantly in a cut and paste effort by some people, whose world view, in my opinion poses a danger not only to our community but to India. Elsewhere a poster avers that his passion about his people and community as different from may be mine who supposedly speaks for other religions and countries. This is a clever argument, but totally false. Why? Because my passion is about the thriving of my people, community, religion and most of all India. This way, our two opposite views are not 'parallel' but 'perpendicular'.

I will in this post start with national issues. I will continue with religious/societal/cultural issues following that:

1. Indian Constitution which was democratically approved with the minority protection clauses (drafted by none other than Sri Vallabhai Patel), should be strengthened, not thrown out, as some people clamour. The alternative they propose is a constitution based on Hindu Dharma, which automatically will protect minority rights. There are two basic problems with this assumption:
a. There is no one definition of 'Hindu Dharma' that every Hindu will agree on. In fact trying to go back to a Varna based Dharma, not only not suitable to the life in the modern world, they will not be acceptable to the majority of the so called lower caste Hindus.
b. There was quite a bit of violence directed at Buddhists by our community with the backing of a couple of Hindu Kings. Being a multi religious country, such a behaviour would court disaster. This scenerio is not far fetched as some of our brothers believe that the muslims and christians who they think were converted should convert back to Hinduism. This will end up in a blood bath.

2. We need the 'enlightened' secularism. There is a deliberate attempt by some to denigrate the real secularism, using the bad examples of what the UPA, the Communists and others follow, which is pseudo-secularism. Knowing this why they would denigrate Secularism? Because, in their minds Democracy and Secularism are 'alien' concepts to India. These are the only tools we have today in a diverse country to rule for the benefit of each and every citizen. By dengrating these concepts, they are imperiling the function of the modern society. If they succeed, anarchy will prevail.

3. They spit venom on other communities, especially Christians and Muslims. Their bogeys are 'Conversions' and 'Jihad' respectively to denigrate these fellow Indian communities. God knows, there are problems with both issues - but instead of letting democracy and law take their course in resolving these issues, they do not mind creating havoc and violence in the name of retaliation. This behaviour is intended, in the guise of standing up for Hinduism to permanently damage the relationship with other communities. Only thoughtless people, who do not understand how the modern society works will heap wrath on other communities wholesale. Instead of working with other communities, we are sowing the seeds of hate. This is the biggest crisis that the modern India faces.

I will continue about some more national issues in my next posting.

Regards,
KRS

Folks,

I came across this article and I think the need of the hour is for each community in India ask the questions contained within. I think some acharyas already have condemned the indiscriminate hooliganism in Assam.

Regards,
KRS

http://www.rediff.com/news/2008/sep/25flip.htm
It's time for the 'silent majority' to speak up

September 25, 2008

Whatever happened to the 'silent majority' in India? Is it not time for all of them to speak up?

Let me begin with the Muslims. Today when you hear about a terrorist attack in some city the knee-jerk reaction is to blame it on a Muslim fundamentalist group. The secondary reaction, a corrosive by-product of the first, is to dub all Muslims as 'supporters of terrorism'.

That is just insane! The vast majority of Muslims are neither terrorists nor supporters of terrorism. I would go so far as to say the average Indian Muslims despises those buffoons who dream of recreating the India of Aurangzeb.

So why does the 'sane' majority persist in remaining the 'silent' majority? From time to time the occasional Muslim cleric issues a denunciation of terrorism. But such rare chirping is simply not good enough any longer, Muslim terrorists must be flayed from every pulpit across India when the Friday sermon is delivered. And this must be done not once or twice but for years on end.

Consider the alternative if the Muslim majority does not actively distinguish itself from the smaller tribe of Muslim terrorists. Other Indians shall then believe that the absence of condemnation means automatic support.

The anger among non-Muslims was so strong that one could almost reach out and touch it in the aftermath of the recent Delhi
[Images] blasts. It is not often that you see senior politicians -- from the Union home minister to the Leader of the Opposition, from the lieutenant governor of Delhi to its chief minister -- attending the funeral of a humble police inspector. But public bitterness was so great they felt compelled to salute Inspector Mohan Chand Sharma.

How many of the leaders of the Muslim community did you see laying a wreath at Inspector Sharma's feet? How many of them were heard praising a brave man who had died fighting for India?

What I did hear were reports of 'tension' in Jamia Nagar, the Muslim-dominated colony in Delhi where Inspector Sharma died fighting terrorists. To a non-Muslim ear it sounded querulous, completely out of proportion to everything that had happened. Which sounds worse, to be under suspicion (as they claim to be) or to be under a shroud (as Mohan Chand Sharma was)? I am sorry if that sounds crude but that really is the long and the short of it.

I will accept for argument's sake that Muslims acutely resent their lack of representation in government agencies, corporate entities, and so forth. (Although it might help if more Muslim children actively pursued, say, English and geometry rather than Urdu and calligraphy). I may even swallow that this sense of alienation is shared by the sane Muslim majority and the far smaller number of Muslim terrorists.

But it is frankly ludicrous to say that unemployment excuses terrorism! Once -- just once! -- I would like to hear the Muslim leadership condemn violence against Hindus without qualifying their statements with mealy-mouthed 'ifs' and 'buts' and 'you must understands'.

In the light of recent events, I must also criticise the howling minority that has hijacked the cause of the silent Hindu majority. (Some of you will undoubtedly complain that I am doing just what I condemned above, qualifying my statement about Muslim terrorists by seeking to equate it with Hindu agitators. Save your breath, I am not saying that what happened in Mangalore is remotely equivalent to planting bombs in Delhi!)

Swami Vivekananda was a better Hindu than any of those idiots who went around trying to burn chapels. True Hindus, he said, did not just 'tolerate' the faiths of others, they actually 'respected' them. (While the Swami may have used the word 'toleration' in his famous address to the Parliament of Religions, he appears to have actively disliked it in later years because it smacks of condescension, rather like an adult 'tolerating' bad behaviour in a child.) I have a fair idea of what Swami Vivekananda might have said about attacks on churches -- and it wouldn't have been pretty.

The current leaders of Hinduism have been less than forthcoming. Hinduism does not have an exact equivalent of the Muslim ulema, but would it have hurt senior acharyas to condemn the attacks on Christians? Not because it is illegal but specifically because such attacks disrespect the philosophical foundations of Hinduism?

I cannot leave the Christians out of this, can I? If Hindus are required to respect other religions then it must be a two-way street. And, frankly, there is nothing so utterly disrespectful as proselytisation.

One can understand -- and respect -- conversion. If an individual chooses to change his faith after struggling with his convictions, so be it. But going around asking others to convert, with none-too-subtle overtones of 'My God is better than your god!' is not respect but hostility. And that, let us be honest, is the tone adopted by some Christian missionaries in India.

Once again, I believe that this is not true of most Indian Christians. This country has had a long history of Christians -- Catholic, Protestant, Mar Thoma Syrian Christians -- living perfectly amicably without feeling any need to convert their Hindu neighbours. (Although it must be noted that one major exception was during Portuguese rule when the Catholics made converts at the point of the sword).

There was a major change more recently, one that became clear when Pope John Paul II unveiled the document 'Ecclesia in Asia' when he came here in 1999. The Holy Father said on that occasion, 'The peoples of Asia need Jesus Christ and his gospel. Asia is thirsting for the living water that Jesus alone can give.' Can you blame Hindus for worrying after that?

Oddly, at the same time the Vatican was fuming about 'sheep stealing' in Latin America. That was because Catholics were turning to some Protestant sects like the Evangelicals and the Pentecostals. (By the way, Republican vice-presidentiial nominee Sarah Palin
[Images] was born a Catholic, but now attends an independent congregation). Is it surprising that Hindus share similar worries?

Nobody wants to admit it, but there is now some sort of a competition to convert Hindus between some Christian sects. I am glad that the Catholics of Kerala
[Images] have publicly proclaimed their dislike of such tactics, but it would be better yet if the Christians of India as a whole proclaimed their disdain for conversions through allurement.

(contd.)

(contd. from above)

Most Hindus, most Muslims, and most Christians in India are essentially peaceable folks who would rub along perfectly well with each other given half a chance. But will they get that option if the headlines are hijacked by extremists with their own agenda? It is time for the silent majority of each faith to speak up -- and reclaim their religions.

T V R Shenoy

Dear Sri KRS-ji,

For a few years i grew up in a muslim dominated locality. Wish to give my side of things as i saw it:

They are a peaceful lot. (underlined it specifically so that it is clear that entire community cannot be labelled because of a small bunch of bad apples).

When there were communal riots, they felt lost and could not understand why they such things were happening. And they wud feel very bad when muslim names wud crop up. In that region, close interaction b/w hindus and muslims resulted in mixed marriages (in our parents time, this was unknown. But in my time, things had already changed). From the few such unions that i know so far, there have not been divorces or seperations.

It is wrong to say that all muslims look down upon hinduism. There were muslim men that went to hindu temples. Women being in a burkha wud not though, and felt shy to try - but they had quite a lot of curiosity abt the hindu way of things. And it is needless to say that hindus often frequent the dargahs of muslim saints or peers.

For those who know or seek "God", there is no religion. All religions have things in them that are socially good and socially unacceptable, the context of which changes with time. What came to know as Hinduism is too much of a braoad based term encompassing what might be seen as several sub-religions connected by (what we like to see) as a common underlying substratum. A muslim becomes a good muslim by truly following his faith (minus the radical wahhabism though). And a good hindu is one by living his faith. So is a good Christian by following the teachings of Christ.

All these so-called divisions are made by people who seek power, and seek to promote themselves as "superior". They are not made by people who have truly followed their religion. Remove religion, such power-hungry people will still use some other yardstick to create divisions and promote themselves.

As a society with people of various faiths who live and interact together, do we need such divisive people?

Caste system used to be the best bait, but now insulting hindu gods and godesses seems to be the favourite bait to convert people; and that naturally provokes people (not to mention the irritating sniggers accompanying their dumb versions of description of gods /godesses that can irritate any1 on a nice pleasant day normally itself).
Surely there has to be some other way of handling this. If burning a man alive by people who chant 'jai shri Ram' is called hindusim, then i am sure nobody in this forum wants to be a hindu. Those damn people..are they humans or animals..even animals won't be like that..should they be burnt back the same way...

Thanks KRS-ji. Very nice to read it. Like the part: "Their hypothetical ideology leads these people to believe that the violence that they perpetrate is for the cause of the truth."

Whatever is this truth, wonder why it appears as diff to diff ppl...i read somewhere where ppl clearly differentiated b/w anger and violence as 2 seperate things. They say while anger is normal, tendency for violence tends to be irreversible..also read about some genes that supposedly cause susceptability to violence..all helpful to stay sane :( (i also realized i shoudn't be thinking abt anything too much while having PMS :lol: :sleep: . plus realized am capable of a hell lot of anger but never violence...so i might as well not be confused anymore and clearly refrain from advocating what i myself am not capable of).

Last edited:
Folks,

If it is true that the young man described in this story had indeed sent the threatening e-mail to the President, then what myself and some others has been saying has come to fruition.

When youngsters read all the heavy barrage of one sided stories against other religions, secularism etc., then it is no surprise that they would resort to activities such as this. Unfortunately, what seems to be a good future ahead for him, just has gone up in smoke! Who is responsible?

Story in Times of India:
CHENNAI: A 23-year old computer engineer working with leading IT major Infosys Technologies was detained in Chennai late on Wednesday night for alleg edly sending a threatening e-mail to President Pratibha Patil. The suspect Sriram worked in the Infosys office in Mahindra City, on the outskirts of Chennai.

The cyber crime cell of the Chennai police had investigated the case following a complaint from joint commissioner of police, Rashtrapati Bhavan to the city commissioner of police, R Sekar.

The police team picked up Sriram from his residence on Rameshwaram Road in T Nagar on Wednesday night and on interrogation he allegedly admitted to having sent the mail to the President.

"He claimed that he was unhappy that public grievances were not being redressed by government authorities and that he was upset over official apathy. However, he looked disturbed and contradicted himself often," M Sudhakar, assistant commissioner of police, cyber crime cell, Chennai, said.

Sriram had threatened to eliminate the President in the email. The Rashtrapati Bhavan security traced the mail to Tamil Nadu. Following this, the JCP lodged a complaint with the city commissioner of police.

Life in Modern India.

Dear Sri KRS.,

You have started an interesting discussion on the above subject. After going through the posts I wish to post a few lines on the subject. At the outset I should admit that as one who had spent more than 25 years with a leading Newspaper organisation, I give limited credence to the value of news items published. When you go through the news coverage, many a time you will find the tinge of personal preferences of the scribes who cover the news items. However they are the only windows open to us to view the happenings around us. The same goes with the visual media also, many of my comments were not published in their websites for reasons better known to them !

Religious conversions (Christian) were going on vigorously among the Tribals for the past one hundred years or so. There is nothing new about this. In fact to protect the innocent Tribals and their culture falling prey to the onslaught of new Foreign Missionaries, many States have passed anti conversion laws when they were ruled by the (then) Indian National Congress. You will find more details about this in the followingn URL of the secular Newspaper "The Hindu":

http://www.hinduonnet.com/thehindu/...2002121700110200.htm&date=2002/12/17/&prd=op&

As for the unfortunate incidents in Orissa, the reasons are different. It all started when 80 year old VHP leader Swami Lakshmanand Saraswathi was attacked on December 24, 2007 at Brhmaigaon, Kandhanmal District in Orissa, which he survived. But again he was attacked on the night of August,23,2008 by group of persons in which he succumbed along with four other Ashram inmates. Swamiji was leading reconversions of Tribals. The details are available in the following URL:

http://www.breakingnewsonline.net/2008/08/vhp-leader-swami-laxmanananda-saraswati.html

Columnist V.Sundaram IAS (Retd) has given a detailed account of the happenings in Orissa in his Blog given below:

http://www.blogs.ivarta.com/india-usa-blog-column58.htm

Personally as a believer in JK's words "Truth is a pathless land...."I have no interest in the subject of Religious conversions. I believe this should be left to the personal choice of the individual. But when this is done for changing demographic balance of of numbers by unethical inducements it becomes a social challenge, it is only natural for the majority community to intervene vehemently and the Government should take adequate preventive measures to protect the states-quo . Otherwise we will lose for ever what ever is left as our ancient culture.

Regards,
Brahmanyan.

Dear Mr KRS

The happenings in Orissa are not one of VHP or Bajrangdal letting loose violence on the Christians. It is a game played very carefully by the Christian missionary abetted by the media and the politicians to turn the table on VHP and Bajrangdal. The murder of Swamiji is only the trigger point.

The Panas and the Kuis have been for long at loggerheads. these are two tribes in Orissa.

The following write up gives a true account of the issues, reasons for the violence. For the sake or record, I have to reproduce the writeup. This may be dismissed as a cover up write up. At my next post I will give another link that of the Christians themselves, so that the veracity of the following article can be corroborated.

http://www.newstrackindia.com/newsdetails/1944

Kandhamal violence, a core social not religious
New Delhi, Thu, 03 Jan 2008 Binita Tiwari

Jan 03: The recent violence in Kandhamal district of Orissa is actual result of clash of social interest rather conflict between Hindus and Christians, as media painted the incident. It's not exactly the clash of Hindutva and Christian's missionaries but a conflict between â??Kui' tribes and SC â??Pana' group over tribal status, which completely faded into the background.
In fact it was a long time demand of the â??Kui' community to be counted as Adivasis and subsequently under ST category. But in 1981 as record suggests the Pana harijans â?? untouchables in most parts of Orissa and later converted Christians of Udaygiri tehsil, demanded the same status as they spoke the same language, which was strongly opposed by Kui tribes.

Their demand was later sent to the President office as a result in 2002, an affirmation letter was sent to the government to declare Kui as tribal community. But here was no mention of Kui language speaking people to be regarded as tribes. The state government had also denied initiating the proposal citing various reasons. As a result the Pana group of people appealed in High Court but presenting many evidence the government denied doing so.

A NGO named Phulbani Kui Jankalyan Sangh was the first to grab this demand, which was strongly resisted by the Kandhamal district Kui Samaj Coordination Committee alleging that some members of the NGO belongs to the Pana community and hence trying to create disturbance. They had also threatened that if the government considers demands of Pana harijans then it would lead to a stern situation.

As per the reports, the Pana harijans started claiming themselves as Kui tribes leading to tensed situation in villages. The news that the State Orissa Steel and Mines Minister, Padmanava Behra was in support of Pana community further angered leaders of Kui, who called for a bandh on December 25. Earlier supporters of Vishva Hindu Parishad, VHP had called for a bandh on the same day following an attack on spiritual leader Swami Laxmanananda Saraswati. Both communities on their way spar and then that took a violent turn and resulted into an immediate imposition of curfew by the administration.

As per the reports of TV channels the violence hit the state after a number of churches in Kandhamal districts were vandalised by some Hindu hardliners following which riot woke up and the administration was forced to impose curfew. This might be the immediate cause but what the real scene behind is the demand of social status by two sections of a community and not a religious clash between Hindus and Christians. [With ST status one can get extra benefits as tribals even after conversion, which an SC cannot.]

Media reported it as a communal violence between Hindus and Christians over conversion of low caste dalit Hindus or those Pana harijans into Christians. Again that might be a reason that acted as catalyst for the incident but the real one grounded somewhere; even the government is still not awaken to address the real problems and completing its duty only by appointing a judicial probe and providing compensation to the riot victims.

Taking moral responsibility of the incident Orissa Steel and Mines Minister, Padmanava Behra resigned. His resignation made it clear that it was a clash between Hindu Kandhas or Kui tribes and Christian Panas over the status of ST and the attack on Hindu leaders only intensified it. Though there are many incidents of religious clashes over conversion but by and large it was not a religious clash.

Dear Mr KRS

I had mentioned in my last post that the write up given there could be dismissed as a cover up. Here is a link to the Christians Project site maintained by them for enabling systematic conversion, offering incentives to anyone helping in the conversion region wise, religionwise. This link page covers the Pana Tribe of Orissa. I have given an excerpts of a paragraph wherein the Catholic priest gives his views on the Pana - Kui row. This site joshuaproject is in existence for long and therefore the views of this priest in this site as expressed before the fight broke out is ample and irrefutable evidence to the fact that the Chrisitian missionary had a clear role in the enmity between these two tribes and the conversion is the reason for the Christian missionary to take sides with the Panas. Truth will triumph ultimately.

http://www.joshuaproject.net/peopctry.php?rop3=113314&rog3=IN

"The Panos in our Orissa parish are demanding that they should receive privileges like the Kui Samaj people since they speak Kui. The Kui Samaj resent this and point out that Panos should not have any of the tribal status they have since many of them are Dalit Christians and are therefore beneath them as a people. The Kuis resent any Panos who would try to receive any benefits even though most Panos are living in severe poverty. Many of our Pano Christians face continued persecution from the Hindu groups and even from their own people." The Catholic Priest was explaining to his bishop the seriousness of the problems faced by the Pano people.

Dear Mr KRS

The very same page listed by me in my previous post - contains the following para: See how Christianity wants to save only the Panas and not the Kuis. What a brand of humanism that they are giving as "the good message" !

Bible itself says: What you do unto others is done unto you.

Prayer Points
* For the salvation of the Pano people and that God may send several Christian workers to work among them and meet their spiritual and physical needs.
* For community development programs and opportunities to hear the gospel message through different ways.
* Pray that many in Pano communities will know Jesus as Savior.
UNQUOTE

Dear Anjan Kumar ji,

What to do....we believe in ahimsa paramo dharma...no greater dharma than ahimsa..

Ahimsa, they say, extends to how we treat ourselves. Everyone understands the greatest himsa we do to ourselves is to live in negative emotions. While violence is not the answer, not the way at all, i wonder why hindu acharyas are not inviting christian theologists to debate, discuss, understand and leave each other alone.

Religions that belive in door to door hawking and multi-level-marketing in-time tend to empty its wares faster than it expects to. Am certain, without basis for provisons of varied schools of thot, of various philosophies, of various 'ways', no "religion" can survive.

Religion apart, what do we do with politicians? You may wish to read this one: http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...ror_Central_agencies_/articleshow/3501530.cms

Last edited:
Dear Sri Brahmanyan Ji,

Thank you for your response.

I agree with your views.

From a societal perspective, it seems to me that the Christians are engaged in a game that is far beyond going door to door and asking a person to consider Christianity as they do in the U.S. This game of money inducement and mass conversions based on 'goonda' leadership should be stopped.

From the religious point of view, our religion does not permit violence outside of dharma, period. Self defence and the possible resulting violence is permitted, but only through legal means. Vigilantism, I do not think is permitted. And the defense of our religion should not be such that it transforms our core beliefs. This is where we owe it to ourselves as Hindus and question why a few of us will even consider converting.

Regards,
KRS

Dear Sri KRS.,

You have started an interesting discussion on the above subject. After going through the posts I wish to post a few lines on the subject. At the outset I should admit that as one who had spent more than 25 years with a leading Newspaper organisation, I give limited credence to the value of news items published. When you go through the news coverage, many a time you will find the tinge of personal preferences of the scribes who cover the news items. However they are the only windows open to us to view the happenings around us. The same goes with the visual media also, many of my comments were not published in their websites for reasons better known to them !

Religious conversions (Christian) were going on vigorously among the Tribals for the past one hundred years or so. There is nothing new about this. In fact to protect the innocent Tribals and their culture falling prey to the onslaught of new Foreign Missionaries, many States have passed anti conversion laws when they were ruled by the (then) Indian National Congress. You will find more details about this in the followingn URL of the secular Newspaper "The Hindu":

http://www.hinduonnet.com/thehindu/...2002121700110200.htm&date=2002/12/17/&prd=op&

As for the unfortunate incidents in Orissa, the reasons are different. It all started when 80 year old VHP leader Swami Lakshmanand Saraswathi was attacked on December 24, 2007 at Brhmaigaon, Kandhanmal District in Orissa, which he survived. But again he was attacked on the night of August,23,2008 by group of persons in which he succumbed along with four other Ashram inmates. Swamiji was leading reconversions of Tribals. The details are available in the following URL:

http://www.breakingnewsonline.net/2008/08/vhp-leader-swami-laxmanananda-saraswati.html

Columnist V.Sundaram IAS (Retd) has given a detailed account of the happenings in Orissa in his Blog given below:

http://www.blogs.ivarta.com/india-usa-blog-column58.htm

Personally as a believer in JK's words "Truth is a pathless land...."I have no interest in the subject of Religious conversions. I believe this should be left to the personal choice of the individual. But when this is done for changing demographic balance of of numbers by unethical inducements it becomes a social challenge, it is only natural for the majority community to intervene vehemently and the Government should take adequate preventive measures to protect the states-quo . Otherwise we will lose for ever what ever is left as our ancient culture.

Regards,
Brahmanyan.

And the defense of our religion should not be such that it transforms our core beliefs. This is where we owe it to ourselves as Hindus and question why a few of us will even consider converting.

Sorry for speaking in b/w KRS-ji. From what i understand, the reason why they consider converting is this:

a) Free biryani in church every sunday.
b) Free clothes to all, including extended 'unconverted' family.
c) Money to start business: I heard that a former hindu maid's husband now owns 2 Tata Sierras and leases them out as taxis. Courtesy, his church.
d) Free counselling: Booze cases are handled by church fathers. Upon conversion, husband no longer boozes or beats-wife as before. Wives welcome conversion as a God-given change in their lives and household.
e) Great network: a christian always helps another, just as a sikh (as per the instruction in his scriptures) has to help another.

Regards.

Life in Modern India.

Dear Sri KRS.,

Thank you for your comments on my post. I wish to conclude my post with a few more words related to Khandanmal incidents. The reasons are not simple to understand. Interestingly the conflict is between SC and ST. In the recently held NIC meeting Hon. Chief Minister of Orissa had given a detailed account of this age old conflict. I quote below from the news item appeared in "Expressindia.com" (dated October 19,200

"New Delhi, October 13: Seeking to deflect attention from Bajrang Dal which has been accused for attacks on Christians, Orissa Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik on Monday said the recent incidents of violence were a manifestation of the "conflict of interest" between Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes.
Speaking at the National Integration Council (NIC) meeting in New Delhi, he sought to project a rosy picture of Orissa in terms of communal harmony even while acknowledging the "disturbances in some pockets" of the state from "time to time", for which he blamed "ethnic strains, particularly among ST and SC communities".
Referring to the two incidents of communal violence in Kandhamal, he said there were clashes between members of SC and ST communities in the past "on account of conflict of interest in the matter of land rights, employment opportunities and religion".
"The recent incidents of violence in Kandhamal are a manifestation of such discord," he said about the district where STs constitute 53 per cent of the population and SCs constitute 22 per cent.
This comment assumes significance as the violence against Christians and Churches has been blamed on Bajrang Dal, prompting demands for banning the Sangh Parivar outfit."

There is also a Report on the previous incident in December 2007 given by the National Commission for Minorities. Though we may not agree with many of their findings we may find the report acknowledge the underlying reasons for the conflict between SC and ST. You can read the full report in t6he following URL:

http://ncm.nic.in/pdf/orissa%20report.pdf

Regards,
Brahmanyan.

Last edited:
Dear Brahmanyan Ji,

I do not think that we the Hindus created the situation in Orissa. We were attacked first.

My only point is that, are we as a community should act outside of the law as our enemies are doing, or are we going to respond within the law. Because we are the majority community, responding outside of the law will render all the legal institutions of the country in disarray - and I hope we do not want that.

Unfortunately, because the UPA is practicing the anti Hindu vote bank politics, against the interests of the Hindus, we are at the stage where we are ready to throw out our secular institutions. Over the long run, I think that this is not good for India, nor is it good for our community.

Regards,
KRS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back