• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Modern life & Spirituality

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just saw the whole video and enjoyed it fully. Of course some seem to be beliefs but it is a well rounded speech and touches various aspects of our existence - health, lifestyle, disease, medicine, charity, spirituality, consciousness. I thought to post it in the food/chit chat sections, but since it covers a myriad of topics, GD might be a better fit. The speech is a bit long but it might be worth it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TH1y3MYWkP8

P.s. Doc, I think I might be going back to coconut oil after all ! :)

He gives a rambling talk. The main point is that modern medicine and health care both have become exploitative business interests. There is something for the oldies to ruminate about various medical tests and their results and the false idea of conforming to the "statistical average". In sum, "an apple or orange or anything else a day, but try to keep the doctor away!"

Hard to focus, Mr auh. Too long
Will you say what ideas impressed you most (other than coconut oil use).
Have you started Morarji Desai therapy :) - this guys makes strong recommendation in his 'well rounded' speech

Hard to focus, Mr auh. Too long
Will you say what ideas impressed you most (other than coconut oil use).
Have you started Morarji Desai therapy :) - this guys makes strong recommendation in his 'well rounded' speech

There were no ideas there to immediately jump in action. Just feelers, to explore more. I feel.

Perhaps I might start the Inhouse beer therapy when the need arises. But I have to get convinced first. :)

P.s. Doc, I think I might be going back to coconut oil after all ! :)

Hold on...I have stopped coconut oil for sometime now..just took my blood for test again(thank God I am able to inject myself and draw my own blood..its almost painless when done by own self)

I should be getting the results by tomorrow or Monday..will let you know the outcome of being sans coconut oil.

Last edited:
Dear Auh,

Sans cocounut oil..every reading from TC,LDL,TG and HDL were perfect.

This is my first hand experiment on my own self.

I tested my blood after 2 months of only consuming coconut oil..and then stopped it and started 2 months of only Olive Oil and tested my blood again

Extra Virgin Coconut oil..raised my LDL significantly (this is bad)

Coconut oil raised my HDL(this is good)

Coconut oil decreased my TG(this is good).

Extra Virgin Olive Oil ...decreased my LDL drastically (very very good)

Olive oil did not significantly raise my HDL like Coconut did but still HDL was good enough.

Olive oil and TG..TG was not lowered as much as in Coconut oil but low enough in the healthy range.

Seems Olive Oil is a safer bet.

LDL goes down well with it.

The only drawback of Coconut Oil is it raises the LDL.

Last edited:
Dear renuka,

Thanks for the update. Very helpful. I am also on EVOO currently.

I have one query though - is cholesterol really as bad as it sounds? In the above video, Dr. Hegde apparently seems to claim that a high cholesterol is not necessarily a factor for heart attacks. This is not supported by modern medicine, though. I am not an expert in medicine, but there have been, of late, an increasing awareness of alternative methods or treatments. Dr. Hegde speaks on similar lines as that of Healer Baskar. They claim that most modern medicine (for eg., bp, diabetes, cholesterol, etc) are bad for overall health. Instead they try to focus on lifestyle changes that would enable the body to heal itself naturally. "BP is a symptom and not a disease by itself" - says Healer Baskar; "eat correctly, and the right type of food, and tune your lifestyle" - this seems to be the golden wisdom. Something that was/is stressed in most homes by parents (of the previous generation).

The body healing itself - is this something that we could focus ourselves on? Any thoughts on this? I know, for broken bones and other forms where a surgery is mandated, it is a lifesaver, but for other ailments, how far can we go in avoiding medicines.

Personally, I have never easily taken any medicines - for cold, fever, headaches, body pains etc. Only if I am hard pressed and the physical ailment persists for more than a few days, do I venture to pop a tablet. It is instinctive in me and my family. That could be a problem though, as we sometimes are stubborn in taking to prescriptions.

Is it all a matter of belief? Or, is there something else that we should be talking about?

Dear renuka,

Thanks for the update. Very helpful. I am also on EVOO currently.

I have one query though - is cholesterol really as bad as it sounds? In the above video, Dr. Hegde apparently seems to claim that a high cholesterol is not necessarily a factor for heart attacks. This is not supported by modern medicine, though. I am not an expert in medicine, but there have been, of late, an increasing awareness of alternative methods or treatments. Dr. Hegde speaks on similar lines as that of Healer Baskar. They claim that most modern medicine (for eg., bp, diabetes, cholesterol, etc) are bad for overall health. Instead they try to focus on lifestyle changes that would enable the body to heal itself naturally. "BP is a symptom and not a disease by itself" - says Healer Baskar; "eat correctly, and the right type of food, and tune your lifestyle" - this seems to be the golden wisdom. Something that was/is stressed in most homes by parents (of the previous generation).

The body healing itself - is this something that we could focus ourselves on? Any thoughts on this? I know, for broken bones and other forms where a surgery is mandated, it is a lifesaver, but for other ailments, how far can we go in avoiding medicines.

Personally, I have never easily taken any medicines - for cold, fever, headaches, body pains etc. Only if I am hard pressed and the physical ailment persists for more than a few days, do I venture to pop a tablet. It is instinctive in me and my family. That could be a problem though, as we sometimes are stubborn in taking to prescriptions.

Is it all a matter of belief? Or, is there something else that we should be talking about?

Good question! Is cholesterol all the bad?

Nope..its not all that bad..its needed in the Myelin Sheath for neuronal transmission but excess of anything including cholesterol is bad.

Coming to narrowing of arteries due to cholesterol deposits and heart attacks..well..I have seen such arteries on autopsy tables and dead cardiac tissue in the area where the vessel was blocked. Cut the heart myself.

Evidence enough at least to some extent...that narrowing or blockage of arteries either by cholesterol deposits or even by a thrombus(blood clot) can cause a heart attack.

So it seems that mechanical narrowing or blockage causes heart attacks.

Now what about non mechanical narrowing or blockage?like a coronary artery spasm? So what could be the causes for arterial spasm?

Causes are :

Extreme emotional stress
Exposure to extreme cold
Smoking

I wonder if you had seen this movie The Frighteners where Micheal J Fox can see people going to die and some ghost squeezes the hearts of the victims and causes a heart attack!

Paranormal causes anyone?LOL(just kidding)

Coming back to topic..true, BP is a symptoms..everything is a symptom.

Diabetes Mellitus is a symptom..the name itself means Sweet Urine..indicating a symptom of either absence of Insulin(Type 1) or a relative lack of Insulin(Type 2).

So technically there are NO diseases..there are only symptoms of Dis-Ease.

Coming to if modern meds are bad.

Well to treat a symptom we need meds.

Every med be it modern or traditional has side effects..but when the benefit outweighs the side effects we take it.

Lifestyle changes are easily advocated..but hardly anyone follows them.

Most docs themselves are over weight and do not exercise regularly.

Most people are not able to adhere to a healthy lifestyle partly thanks to long working hours.

So I would not advice anyone to stop taking modern meds if it can keep their "symptoms" under check to prevent morbidity/mortality.

Most of guys who tell people to ditch modern meds do so cos there is no law suit for them to face if a patient dies.

The day traditional practitioners too are dragged to court when a patient dies..then they would all sing a different tune.

Last edited:
My family physician tells me that more than 95% of all physiological ailments (he says "rOgam") will be cured automatically by the body itself because the physical body has its own intelligence, separate from the individual's. It is only for the balance 5% or so of ailments that a doctor and medicines are required.

My doctor also echoes Dr. Hegde's views regarding test results. The frenzy to conform to certain imaginary "averages" is completely wrong. For example my BP is on the higher side but I have had no other problems and so my doctor says not to go on checking and popping up BP reduction pills just in order that the test result will be withing the tolerance range.

Even for blood clots, the body has its own ingenious ways of circumventing it many cases, but allopathis surgeons like to treat our circulation system like a water supply system and repair almost every "abnormality" by plumbing operations!

I remember having read somewhere that an LDL is not any more dangerous than HDL and that cholesterol itself is not a bad thing after all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back