• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

leather

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a question about leather in temples. I realise in the traditional sense it would not be allowed. But what about temple drums such as thavil or other types? Are not the ends made of leather? Is there a scriptural exception for this? I have also heard that thavil drum ends are actually made of calf skins and the calves are raised and slaughtered or sacrificed just for this purpose. Is there any truth to this?

Thanks for any help at all.

Aum Namasivaya

Panchamuga Vaadhyam

I have a question about leather in temples. I realise in the traditional sense it would not be allowed. But what about temple drums such as thavil or other types? Are not the ends made of leather? Is there a scriptural exception for this? I have also heard that thavil drum ends are actually made of calf skins and the calves are raised and slaughtered or sacrificed just for this purpose. Is there any truth to this?

Aum Namasivaya

In the Thiagaraswamy temple at Tiruvarur there is an excellent and unique musical instrument called "Panchamuga Vadyam" with five faces. Each face is ornamented; one with a snake, another with lotus and another one is plain without decorations. One has a Swastik sign. Over each face leather is spread and over the central one Deerskin is spread. It is said that Nanchi Devi played on this instrument when Lord Shiva danced.

Even snake and deer skins are used for preparing the instruments.

It is true that skin of animals are used to prepare the Thavil, Mridhangam and other drum type musical instruments. But I don't have any idea whether the animals are killed to prepare the instrument or the skins of dead animals are used.

Aum Namasivaya

Is your question based on not allowing of foot wear? Otherwise, I have not seen any special notice, in most of the temples I visited of prohibiting leather, many women enter temples with their handbags, men holding their small bags and wearing belts etc.If at some temples bags etc are not allowed inside, it may be due to security aspect in general only

Namaskar,

I have been told by other devotees at my temple that some temples in Bharat Mata do not allow leather in any way, shape or form in the temple area. I myself try not to wear leather, period. I have a leather wallet, which I'm going to replace eventually with something non-leather. The only thing that's difficult for me to find without leather, is shoes. I am gradually going vegetarian, first by not wearing leather products (as best as I can, considering the footwear issue), then by abstaining from beef, then by abstaining from meat altogether.

It is a good point. We all depend on animals for our living someway. We can only minimize the usage of animal products, but I believe we can not stop completely.

I went leather free in India on pilgrimage and it wasn't a problem. The problem here for me pertains mostly to work shoes. There are alternatives to leather such as hemp cloth.

Regarding the drums, I have no ethical problem with using animal skin that is from natural causes, but if an animal, say a calf, was raised just to get that soft skin for a drum and then ritualistically sacrificed, I'd find that hypocritical.

So in those temples that don't allow any leather of any kind, I presume musicians aren't allowed in either.

Aum Namasivaya

dear all,

I am posting this question here because i dont know where else to post it.

Since the topic of leather was brought up i want to ask about silk.

Silk is used to adorn statues in temples.

Is it really a requirement by religion or its just a cultural practise?

Can cotton or synthetic be used instead as we all know silk production involves a lot of loss of life of silk worms.

Lord Vishnu is described as Peetaambara. Only the colour of garment is mentioned and not the type of fabric.

Can someone kindly comment please.
thanks
renuka

dear all,

I am posting this question here because i dont know where else to post it.

Since the topic of leather was brought up i want to ask about silk.

Silk is used to adorn statues in temples.

Is it really a requirement by religion or its just a cultural practise?

Can cotton or synthetic be used instead as we all know silk production involves a lot of loss of life of silk worms.

Lord Vishnu is described as Peetaambara. Only the colour of garment is mentioned and not the type of fabric.

Can someone kindly comment please.
thanks
renuka

Paramacharyal has written many times against using of silk since silk is made out of killing of millions of warms.

He has adviced ladies and gents not to use silk clothes.

I fully endorse the view that silk should be banned. Personally I am not using silk and will avoid it in the future also. After reading your above article, I have decided not to offer silk clothes even to our Gods.

All the best

Vannakkam all:

The issue of silk was explored in depth in the last issue of 'Hinduism Today" . The message was that we should discontinue its use, yes. For me personally, I'll be discontinuing for sure. We won't throw out my wife's saris but just won't buy any more. However, getting others to stop its use will be another matter, as silk is a source of ego-boost with regard to false (external) beauty, and financial status. A government or two would have to step in and ban it.

Aum Namasivaya

This topic was interesting. It started with question on leather and ended with silk. Leather is not allowed in many temples in the north and I have had to deposit my wallet and belt before proceeding inside the temple. And I do not remember any drums being played inside the temples in the north. As for silk, it is definitely food for thought. I am curious to know as to how silk apparel came to be considered as "madi" ?
Regards
ivar52

This topic was interesting. It started with question on leather and ended with silk. Leather is not allowed in many temples in the north and I have had to deposit my wallet and belt before proceeding inside the temple. And I do not remember any drums being played inside the temples in the north. As for silk, it is definitely food for thought. I am curious to know as to how silk apparel came to be considered as "madi" ?
Regards
ivar52

Regards
ivar52

These drums are not used inside the temples. These are been considered only during the cart pulling around temple / city. (Oorvalam) to create a sound as earlier days there were no nearby houses. Also for the musicians/support. Now a days, these were used inside the temple due to restriction of area. But still these are not placed inside the "Garbhastalam".

I am not sure, the calf are slautered for this purpose. to my knowledge only dead animal skins will be used.

Pranam,
L.Srinivas

Dear all,
It is interesting to note that the read has started from leather to silk. I do not think that use of leather or silk for that matter has any thing to do with religion. These are all cultural practices and must have evolved over a period of time. Venkat

The Leather is tanned with Chrome and use of lime to unhair the skin.
The Sun Rays that goes in to the shrine which will reflect with Gopura Kalasam and inside copper will penetrate through our skin. This will give a medicinal efffect.
The Same naNo rays if penetrate through leather tanned with minerals and Chemicals it will give white patches on the skin.

Regarding Drms, there was no chemicals used. They just Sun Dried.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back