• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

kumbakonam degree coffee

Enjoyed reading history of Kumbakonam Degree Coffee. Here's some titbits on this wonderful drink.
Coffee seeds were brought to India by Baba Budan, a revered 16 century Sufi Saint from Mysore State on his return from pilgrimage to Mecca from the port of Mocha, Yeman. He tasted the refreshing drink "Khawa" in Arabia and wanted to grow the same at his abode in Chikkamagaluru. The hills now is called Bababudan giri, 25 Kms from Chikkamagaluru in the western Ghats. Later this area has been developed with many Coffee estates by the Britishers.
We in Tamil Nadu developed our own unique way of preparation of Coffee drink and spread this as "Kumbakonam Filter Degree Kaappi".
Brahmanyan,
Bangalore.

Last edited:
Absoutely !! In one of my visits to deep hinterlands in Tamil Nadu, had the opportunity to taste the local degree coffee...

Unmatched skills as they say in Chinese !! I would say the best coffee in india is found in TN and Karnataka.

Thanks. It was nostalgic for me.
I remember Mr.R.K.Narayan's book my dateless diary. He narrates an incident when he visited New York city standing in queue at coffee bucks. The negro lady at the counter asked him black or white? He replied neither brown he said. The lady got offended thinking it was racial comment. He continued its how a South India prefers his coffee. Brown mixture of milk and decoction. I had a big laugh while reading.

please read on.....
Morning coffee is still the best.lt really gives you the wake up energy that you need for the day.

please read on.....
Kalayil ezundhavudan COFFE kudi .Then GUDI(Gudi in telugu(meaning) is called TEMPLE.
Morning first (degree)Coffe then visit to Temple.

Thanks. It was nostalgic for me.
I remember Mr.R.K.Narayan's book my dateless diary. He narrates an incident when he visited New York city standing in queue at coffee bucks. The negro lady at the counter asked him black or white? He replied neither brown he said. The lady got offended thinking it was racial comment. He continued its how a South India prefers his coffee. Brown mixture of milk and decoction. I had a big laugh while reading.
EXCELLENT REPLY.

hi

kaappi is part of tamil brahmin culture....especially kumbakonam mangalambiga hotel degree kaappi...

i had a chance to drink in kumbakonam...espeically in pithala dawara with pithala glass...now everywhere

stailess silver glass/dawara...

hi

kaappi is part of tamil brahmin culture....especially kumbakonam mangalambiga hotel degree kaappi...

i had a chance to drink in kumbakonam...espeically in pithala dawara with pithala glass...now everywhere

all said and done the original native flavour and taste of kumbakonam degree coffee has diminished largely .I refer to the same kumaboknam mangalambiga coffee. Similar place fro coffee was kaliyakudi hotel at mayuram [now mayiladuthurai]. it is almost an apology now

Murali coffee in Srirangm is also famous for degree coffee. By 4.30am one can have hot coffee and refresh the day. When I stayed in trichy I never missed it. It is available even today.

please read on.....
I have an interesting experience on Kumbakonam Degree coffee aka "Kaapi". I love coffee, typical of south Indian Brahmin. When I visited Kumbakonam on my pilgrimage sojourn to Navagraha temple, we stayed in Kumbakonam. I was very eager to buy the degree coffee and take it to Bombay. I wen to a coffee shop, where they sell coffee powder. I asked for quarter kg of Degree Coffee. The salesman looked at me up and down as if I was an alien. Then I repeated my demand to have the degree coffee from that shop. Then he understood that I am not from that place and started explaining to me nicely what is exactly Kumbakonam Degree Kaapi.

Here, it goes: A degree coffee is a filter coffee with the first decoction with cows milk.

Then I went to a proper coffee stall and had a so called Degree Kaapi.

Now every NH in TN one can see KDFC (Kumbakonam degree filter coffee) and it is francise given by one Naidu and they maintained mostly uniformity in all their outlets as they use the same coffe powder called KDFC powder and it is ok which we cannot say at par with the then original Kumbakonam/Mayiladuthurai degree coffee as it is first decoction with fresh cow milk and especially milk has to be stirred in a 'karandy' and also milk has to be poured in a tumbler with the 'karandy' only and in locals it is also called as karandy coffee and people belong to this region never accept the preparation of other filter coffee where milk is poured without 'karandy'. I strongly recommend this method and others too can try this method while preparing at home.

Enjoyed reading history of Kumbakonam Degree Coffee. Here's some titbits on this wonderful drink.
Coffee seeds were brought to India by Baba Budan, a revered 16 century Sufi Saint from Mysore State on his return from pilgrimage to Mecca from the port of Mocha, Yeman. He tasted the refreshing drink "Khawa" in Arabia and wanted to grow the same at his abode in Chikkamagaluru. The hills now is called Bababudan giri, 25 Kms from Chikkamagaluru in the western Ghats. Later this area has been developed with many Coffee estates by the Britishers.
We in Tamil Nadu developed our own unique way of preparation of Coffee drink and spread this as "Kumbakonam Filter Degree Kaappi".
Brahmanyan,
Bangalore.
"Coffee" means only the 'decoction' in most parts of the world. In India our Pundits felt that coffee was too acidic and not so suited for our palates in tropical places. So they added roasted chicory root powder which is alkaline and also matches with coffee taste to balance the pH factor. Milk was added to give a creamier touch. Sugar for extra taste.
Only Indians drink coffee this way.
The best equipment available to make coffee is oven top coffee percolator. It's most convenient, fast, safe and makes the best flavored coffee. Extracts decoction from the coffee powder in full and gives strong decoction. Very easy and convenient to use. Just make sure the coffee powder is coarse and not fine. Available in many sizes.
please read on.....

hi

We have filter coffee everyday first thing in the morning. On a whim, I bought a pair of pithalai tumbler/dawra in Trichy to enjoy the morning coffee. A decoction is freshly made every morning using a pithalai filter and fresh milk is stirred with a karandi. We turn off the gas just before the milk boils over - it adds to the taste and flavour. The best way to kickstart the daily routine. Unfortunately, in Chennai, we do not have access to fresh buffalo milk, unlike Calcutta. It adds more punch to the coffee. For coffee, I feel the best is freshly ground Robusta powder. From a health point of view, it is best to have morning coffee without sugar. I add just a pinch of sugar for taste.

Latest ads

Back