• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

kumbakonam degree coffee

naithru

please read on.....

Brahmanyan

Enjoyed reading history of Kumbakonam Degree Coffee. Here's some titbits on this wonderful drink.
Coffee seeds were brought to India by Baba Budan, a revered 16 century Sufi Saint from Mysore State on his return from pilgrimage to Mecca from the port of Mocha, Yeman. He tasted the refreshing drink "Khawa" in Arabia and wanted to grow the same at his abode in Chikkamagaluru. The hills now is called Bababudan giri, 25 Kms from Chikkamagaluru in the western Ghats. Later this area has been developed with many Coffee estates by the Britishers.
We in Tamil Nadu developed our own unique way of preparation of Coffee drink and spread this as "Kumbakonam Filter Degree Kaappi".
Brahmanyan,
Bangalore.

Last edited:

Jaykay767

Absoutely !! In one of my visits to deep hinterlands in Tamil Nadu, had the opportunity to taste the local degree coffee...

Unmatched skills as they say in Chinese !! I would say the best coffee in india is found in TN and Karnataka.

naithru

Thanks. It was nostalgic for me.
I remember Mr.R.K.Narayan's book my dateless diary. He narrates an incident when he visited New York city standing in queue at coffee bucks. The negro lady at the counter asked him black or white? He replied neither brown he said. The lady got offended thinking it was racial comment. He continued its how a South India prefers his coffee. Brown mixture of milk and decoction. I had a big laugh while reading.

please read on.....
Morning coffee is still the best.lt really gives you the wake up energy that you need for the day.

please read on.....
Kalayil ezundhavudan COFFE kudi .Then GUDI(Gudi in telugu(meaning) is called TEMPLE.
Morning first (degree)Coffe then visit to Temple.

Thanks. It was nostalgic for me.
I remember Mr.R.K.Narayan's book my dateless diary. He narrates an incident when he visited New York city standing in queue at coffee bucks. The negro lady at the counter asked him black or white? He replied neither brown he said. The lady got offended thinking it was racial comment. He continued its how a South India prefers his coffee. Brown mixture of milk and decoction. I had a big laugh while reading.
EXCELLENT REPLY.

tbs

hi

kaappi is part of tamil brahmin culture....especially kumbakonam mangalambiga hotel degree kaappi...

i had a chance to drink in kumbakonam...espeically in pithala dawara with pithala glass...now everywhere

stailess silver glass/dawara...

drsundaram

hi

kaappi is part of tamil brahmin culture....especially kumbakonam mangalambiga hotel degree kaappi...

i had a chance to drink in kumbakonam...espeically in pithala dawara with pithala glass...now everywhere

stailess silver glass/dawara...
all said and done the original native flavour and taste of kumbakonam degree coffee has diminished largely .I refer to the same kumaboknam mangalambiga coffee. Similar place fro coffee was kaliyakudi hotel at mayuram [now mayiladuthurai]. it is almost an apology now

Murali coffee in Srirangm is also famous for degree coffee. By 4.30am one can have hot coffee and refresh the day. When I stayed in trichy I never missed it. It is available even today.

Follow Tamil Brahmins on Social Media

Latest posts