• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

keeping idol of cow (nandi) at home

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello Rekha murali ,could you please be clear that ,it is a cow or nandhi .because both are different. if you mean to say as cow ,and its decorated with jewels and its half cow and half woman,its called KAMADHENU ,the celestial cow ,its very good to have the idol at home .if you stated it as nandhi ,the vahanam of lord shiva.one can have it at home provided you daily offer flowers and recite the required slokas. regarding homam,some say to be wednesday/saturday ,so its better you can approach temple priest /family vadiyar.good luck.

பசுவும் சரி , ரிஷபமும் சரி இரண்டுமே சிவனின் அருள் பெற்றவை தான். ஆனால் அவை நிலை வாசலிலுருந்து வீட்டின் உள்ளே பார்ப்பதுபோல் இருக்கவேண்டும்...கண்டிப்பாக வீட்டின் வாசலைப் பார்ப்பதுபோல் இருக்கக்கூடாது.

We had few months back got a gift of Nandi (cow idol) and we kept in our pooja room. Is it ok to have the idol kept at home and workship.

Also, we are planning to perform Sudarshan Homam at home, what is best day to perform?

Rekha

Any statue that is not consecrated as Idol is just a figurine for decoration, and is not bound by any rules. Any statue or other objects consecrated as an Idol has rules. Please check with a priest.

For example all figurines used in 'golu' do not have any rules.

According to wiki:

In Hinduism, a murti (Devanagari: मूर्ति), or murthi, or vigraha or pratima typically refers to an image that expresses a Divine Spirit (murta). Meaning literally "embodiment", a murti is a representation of a divinity, made usually of stone, wood, or metal, which serves as a means through which a divinity may be worshiped. Hindus consider a murti worthy of serving as a focus of divine worship only after the divine is invoked in it for the purpose of offering worship. The depiction of the divinity must reflect the gestures and proportions outlined in religious tradition. It is a means of communication with the god or Brahman in Hinduism.[2] Murti is a Sanskrit term which is meant to point to the transcendent "otherness" of the divine and when substituted with statue or idol - its inherent meaning is lost since neither is a correct translation of the word murti.

Last edited:
prANa pratiShThA is the process of 'imparting life' into an idol or kalasha or
yantra or any other worshipable item prescribed by Vedic and tantrik texts,
with respective mantra and tantra prescribed for the deity invited in AvAhana.
This process is carried out in every pooja as a part of 16 worship methods
(ShoDashopachAra). There are two types of pratiShThA or installation - temporary
as in poojas and permanent as in temples.

When it is temporary, the worshipper or priest on behalf of worshippers imparts
his prANas (prANa, apAna, vyAna, udAna and samAna) through his ucchvAsa and
nishvAsa (ihalation and exhalation). This lasts until visarjanA or liberating
the prANas at the end of the uttara-pooja (post-pooja worship). Before this, the
idol etc, is regarded as SAME as the worshipper and tantrik texts describe that
any problem caused to the idol etc., MAY reflect the same on the worshipper in
certain cases.

When it is permanent installation, procedures are complex and are ruled by the
rules of Agama shAstra, the temple archtictural sciences according to the diety
being installed. Shiva pan~chayatana(Aditya-ambikA-gaNanAtha-hari-hara) idols
follow shaiva Agamas while vaiShNava schools follow pAncharAtra Agama or
vaikhAnasa Agama. prANa pratiShTha in a temple needs precious jewels of meaured
quantity to be placed in the place beneath the idol; and some times in different
parts of the temple. This process should be carried out on special days
prescribed astrologically and at special times elected by muhoorta techniques.
There are special time selection methods depending on the temples too - like
aShTamangala deva prashna technique used in temples of Kerala.

an Agamika may give you much more detailed procedures. Hope this helps.

I have come across many times out here people telling me this(but I didn't follow their advice)

I have a huge bronze metal Nataraj statue in my living room and my late MIL told me it is bad to keep a Nataraj cos He will dance the Tandav and destroy the home.

I have an pic of Ugra Narasimha in my altar and I was told by a relative that He will tear you apart.

I have a pic of Lord Krishna and Arjuna at the battle field on my wall at my home and one old lady told me the home will have fights.

One more old relative said not to keep the Mahabharat at home cos fights will start.

I never listened to anyone of them anyway but I was just wondering who created all these rumours??

I was also thinking that since all these old ladies can actually stay in houses so why can't Nataraj,Ugra Narasimha and the Mahabharat be at home too??

Last edited:
I have come across many times out here people telling me this(but I didn't follow their advice)

I have a huge bronze metal Nataraj statue in my living room and my late MIL told me it is bad to keep a Nataraj cos He will dance the Tandav and destroy the home.

I have an pic of Ugra Narasimha in my altar and I was told by a relative that He will tear you apart.

I have a pic of Lord Krishna and Arjuna at the battle field on my wall at my home and one old lady told me the home will have fights.

One more old relative said not to keep the Mahabharat at home cos fights will start.

I never listened to anyone of them anyway but I was just wondering who created all these rumours??

I was also thinking that since all these old ladies can actually stay in houses so why can't Nataraj,Ugra Narasimha and the Mahabharat be at home too??

If you keep repeating a lie, after sometimes it appears to be a "fact".
These rumors have no basis, but they spread like wildfires, and then they get religious sanctions, and then if you question them for scientific basis, you are a branded a heretic.
Human beings are superstitious, in our culture we are expected to accept these kind of sayings, and they are self fulfilling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back