• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

What are the rules and process for keeping kudumi (shikai)

Omshakti3

Namaste,

Hope you are all well. I am a tamil iyer and I have been growing my hair long since covid time. I keep my hair tied in a kudumi and I realize it's worth, both spiritually and practically. However, my hair is too long and it is taking too much time for maintenance. I wish to cut my hair short but keep a kudumi in the back of my head.

Is there a process for keeping kudumi? Is there a specific location kudumi needs to be? Are there any differences based on my sampradaya? I am a smartha krishna yajurvedi with family background in Chengottai.

Looking forward to your learned advice.

DhanyavadaH,

GK

Kudumi is Shikha in Hindi, shendi in Marathi, and it is the hair on head in a particular style. Hindus keep their hair in this manner, particularly brahmins. But this is going out of fashion now and has become only by choice. A shikha at the little back side of centre of head and of the shape and size of cow's foot identifies the person who follows Rigveda. Hair from ear to ear and front shaved off are followers of Yajurveda. Samaveda followers have head full of hair like Sikh brothers. Atharva vedins shave off head completely. I am not an expert. But this is what I learnt from a lecture by an eminent person.

Last edited:
It is believed to be the domicile of Ketu as per Hindu astrology. If you want to understand Indian culture the best thing you can do is to undertake a comprehensive study of Vedic astrology. Almost all of the beliefs and practices as well as the etymology of days of the week can be traced back to the astrological beliefs pertaining to the planets in the night sky- which may or may not have been stolen from the Greeks (Romaka Sidhantha).

Ketu lives in the Shikha, as well as in flag poles (the pole, not the flag).

Latest ads

Back