• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

jeyamohan on clergy and religion

Status
Not open for further replies.

kunjuppu

I follow Jeyamohan’s blogs occasionally, and whenever I read one, I am amazed by his sense of balance and ability to evaluate. i would consider J as a benchmark for thoughtful and reflective writing, and i am amazed at the breadth of his interests!

J is a strong believer in Hinduism, but like me he is of the reformist kind, and does not hesitate to call a spade a spade. But at the same time, he gives credit where it is due.

This particular blog evaluates the role of the clergy in the uphold of religion and spirituality. J dichotomizes the status of each and how one interacts and depends on the other, for the ultimate flourishment of the faith

It would gladden many a hearts here, and I too agree, re the role of Brahmins in maintaining the hindu faith over the millenniums. But at the same time, J emphasises the need for changes to reflect the times – and where priests resist, the public will enforce it regardless. The article is not so harsh as my English sounds, but a pleasant flow, and I would recommend it to anyone who can read tamil.

here below is Jeyamohan's take ont he role of brahmins..as mentioned above. for the rest of the article please click here

இந்துமதத்தை எடுத்துக் கொண்டால் ஆன்மீகவாதிகளாலும் சீர்திருத்தவாதிகளாலும் பிராமணியம் மேல் மிகக் கடுமையான குற்றச்சாட்டுகளும் தாக்குதல்களும் தொடுக்கப்பட்டுள்ளன, தொடுக்கப்படுகின்றன. உபநிடதங்களில் கடுமையான புரோகிதநிந்தையை நாம் காணலாம். சுவாமி விவேகானந்தர், ஜெ.கிருஷ்ணமூர்த்தி , ஓஷோ வரை அது தொடர்கிறது. ஆனால் இந்துமதத்தின் நிலைச்சக்தியாக இரண்டாயிரம் வருடங்களாகச் செயல்பட்டுவரும் பிராமணர்கள் ஆற்றிய பங்கு முக்கியமானது என்றே நான் எண்ணுகிறேன். மிகமிக எதிர்மறையான சூழல்களில் அனைத்தையும் இழந்தும் சமரசமில்லாமல் அவர்கள் தங்களுக்கு அளிக்கப்பட்டவற்றை தக்கவைத்து பாதுகாத்து பேணி மறு தலைமுறைக்குக் கொண்டுசெல்ல முயன்றிருக்கிறார்கள். இந்துமதம் என்ற அமைப்பு – அதன் கலைகள், நூல்கள், மரபுகள்– இன்றும் நீடித்திருப்பதற்கு அவர்கள் முதன்மைக் காரணம் என்றே நான் எண்ணுகிறேன்.

Dear Kunjuppu,

Jeyamohan is a prolific writer. His name will be talked about in the same breadth as barathi in tamil literature, in future. I've been his ardent fan over 10 years now and not a day passes without reading some of his works. He commands immense respect in the tamil literary world(inspite of all grudges and mudslinging that happens to him). I feel blessed to have known him and people who miss reading him are definitely missing something. Thanks for bringing this up in this forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back