• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Iyer's Corner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi fellow forum members!
I am in the process of compiling a handbook on sanskrit which will be of use to me, having Sanskrit
knowledge upto +2 level, to raise my proficiency upto that of my Tamil. In short whatever I say in Tamil
in daily life, I should be able to say it in Sanskrit also.
I would like inputs from this august forum how to go about doing it. I am at present compiling a list of
Sanskrit verbs equivalent to the tamil verbs we use and in addition those verbs which are most frequent
in English as per published linguistic studies.I would be happy to share it with interested persons
and compare notes.

I have wondered why sanskrit as a language became slowly extinct in india . was the language difficult to learn or speak . so
many indian languages such as hindi and its dialects have evlved out of sanskrit. in modern days,sanskrit language has no vocational value . at best one can become a teacher in some school or college or be a purohit in some temple.some brahmins can try hanging on to
the language and recite some slokas and feel mighty holy. I learn one village in karnataka ,people transact in sanskrit. sanskrit in media is limited to news and is akin to broadcasts for deaf and dumb.who listens to it.?.ony the jews tried reviving a dead language hebrew in isreal
succeeded to some extinct. there appears to be not much of a case for its revival.

This post is not directed to Sri krish44 at all though many tend to share the thinking and sentiments expressed here.
Such thinking is not based on facts to say the least. It is addressed to all those people.

(I rarely browse sections in this forum beyond General Discussions and this thread caught my attention today)

Sanskrit happens to be well suited for Natural Language researchers in the field of Artificial Intelligence.

In the words of one of the researchers at NASA by name Rick Briggs

"In the past twenty years, much time, effort, and money has been expended
on designing an unambiguous representation of natural languages to makethem accessible to computer processing. These efforts have centered around creating schemata designed to parallel logical relations with relationsexpressed by the syntax and semantics of natural languages, which are clearly cumbersome and ambiguous in their function as vehicles for thetransmission of logical data. Understandably, there is a widespread belief that natural languages are unsuitable for the transmission of many ideas that artificial languages can render with great precision and mathematical rigor.
But this dichotomy, which has served as a premise underlying much work
in the areas of linguistics and artificial intelligence, is a false
one. There is at least one language, Sanskrit, which for the duration
of almost 1000 years was a living spoken language with a considerable
literature of its own. Besides works of literary value, there was a long
philosophical and grammatical tradition that has continued to exist with
undiminished vigor until the present century. Among the accomplishments
of the grammarians can be reckoned a method for paraphrasing Sanskrit in
a manner that is identical not only in essence but in form with current
work in Artificial Intelligence. This article demonstrates that a natural
language can serve as an artificial language also, and that much work
in AI has been reinventing a wheel millennia old."

You can read more about it here

http://sanskritdocuments.org/news/subnews/NASASanskrit.txt

In fact learning Sanskrit is compulsory for anyone who has to enter as a researcher in the Natural Language research area at NASA. The US had allocated special scholarships for schools that offer to teach the language

Here is a short Youtube video by Dr Swami

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2h5KzWac0_E

It is fashionable for most Indians to question the stupidity of those studying Sanskrit without knowing anything about the language in the first place.

In Sankara's commentaries he communicates major and sophisticated teaching with very few words. The architecture of the grammar is truly a great accomplishment of human beings.

Hi fellow forum members!
I am in the process of compiling a handbook on sanskrit which will be of use to me, having Sanskrit
knowledge upto +2 level, to raise my proficiency upto that of my Tamil. In short whatever I say in Tamil
in daily life, I should be able to say it in Sanskrit also.
I would like inputs from this august forum how to go about doing it. I am at present compiling a list of
Sanskrit verbs equivalent to the tamil verbs we use and in addition those verbs which are most frequent
in English as per published linguistic studies.I would be happy to share it with interested persons
and compare notes.

Dear sir,

Good that you are starting something..but I think I did mention sometime back that we eventully have to start thinking in Sanskrit and not think in mother tongue and then mentally translate it to Sanskrit..as we know Sanskrit is like SMS..Short Messaging Services and its grammar structure enables us to convey the message we intend in a very few words as compared to any other regional language.

For example in Hindi if we want to say "he goes with his mother"

It will be

वह माता के साथ जाता है

In Sanskrit its

स: मत्रा सह गच्छति

It takes so few words in Sanskrit..even Tamil takes up more words to convey "he goes with his mother"

So why dont you just plan out Sanskrit words itself instead of bringing in regional languages cos the grammar structure of most regional languages are similar to each other but slightly different from Sanskrit.... as you would be knowing declensions of nouns and pronouns in Sanskrit are not the same as regional languages.

Sanskrit is less complicated and direct to the point.

We have to train the brain to think in Sanskrit

Last edited:
Hi Sanskrit lovers,
I have completed translation of Thiruvacakam into Sanskrit. This book is financed by Swami Dayananda Saraswati and published by Dharmapuram Adheenam.
My translation to individual verses of Thiruvacakam are also available in the internet ??????? ???????? ???????? ???????? Go to Eighth thirumurai.Click on translation and then on Sanskrit.
corrections welcome.

Renukaji!
आप हमेषा एक ही सुजाव देतीं -संस्कृत में सोचो-. किसी भाषामें सोच्ना तब संभव है,जब उस भषा के,कम से कम, 2000 शब्दों का ज्ञान हो. स्पष्ट है आप ग्रीक भषा में सोच नहीं सकेंगी.संक्षेप में-வேறும் கையில் முழம் போட முடியாது.சட்டியில் இருந்தால்தான் அகப்பையில் வரும்.और भी-आप हमेषा नौसिकियों की बात कर्तीं हैं-अजः गच्छति, गजः तिष्ठति, मात्रा सह गच्छति-इत्यादि.मैं उन लोगों की बात कर रहा हूं,जिनहोंने बारहवीं तक संस्कृत शिक्षा प्राप्त की हो, अभ्यास न करने के कारण भूल गया हो,और आज आगे बढाना चाहते हों.यदी इसकी संबंद में सुजाव हो तो दीजिए.
Hi Vikramaji!
I don't have enough words to describe my awe and appreciation on your feat, requiring as it does mastery over both Tamil and Sanskrit, as also a pious nature.Perhaps you could use your scholarship to finding out,ways to ensure sanskrit education for our children and grand-children.

Dear Dr. Renuka Ma'am,
Good Evening,
For the past two hours I gone through each and every post of this thread. Good. The views expressed by each one is different and the main question is how to implement these suggestions. I studied Sanskrit with Guruji Mrs. Saroja Ramanujam through her Skype classes. As She started advanced classes I could not participate in those classes with my little or no knowledge of those advanced courses. You have written in Sanskrit "स: मत्रा सह गच्छति". As a beginner I do'nt know what it means. One new language could be easily understood with the help of mother tongue where the person has proficiency. So in MHO we should start the learning process immediately with the help of mother tongue. Let the Bala Patam be through mother tongue and we all well versed we can start discuss matters in direct sanskrit.
Anbudan
Adiyen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back