• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Iyer's Corner

Status
Not open for further replies.
The simple translation lesson I am doing today has a sentence like this to translate to Sanskrit.So may be you can try to translate this for a start.

All animals become old. A yogi alone does not become old by the strength of Yoga.Do you know how a Yogi does not become old?
hi
hi renu

sarve pasavah jaraam yaanthi...........yogi kadhaapi jaraam na yaati,,,,tadyogena...........yogi jaraam na yaati kutah tavm jaanasi?

TBS Garu,

Thanks for reply...nice to read.

There are many ways to answer this and the answer suggested by the author is this:

सर्वे प्राणिनः जरन्ति। योगी एव योगबलेन न जरति।कथं योगी न जरति इति त्वं जानासि किम्?

Last edited:
TBS Garu,

Thanks for reply...nice to read.

There are many ways to answer this and the answer suggested by the author is this:

सर्वे प्राणिनः जरन्ति। योगी एव योगबलेन न जरति।कथं योगी न जरति इति त्वं जानासि किम्?

The sentence given by you for translation reinforces my point that Sanskrit study material is woefully out of touch with modernity. Further it misleads people into beleiving that yogis exist. None of us has seen one.As a doctor do you believe that a person can become invisible,too heavy to be lifted,light enough t walk on water or fly??These exercises are meant for children say upto 15 years of age.You have to create your own sentences for translation.More difficult the better. Finally, in tune with your sentence,I quote "जीर्यते जीर्यतः केशा दंता जीर्यति जीर्यतः । जीर्यतश्चक्षुषी श्रोत्रे तृष्णैका तरुणायते ।।"

The sentence given by you for translation reinforces my point that Sanskrit study material is woefully out of touch with modernity. Further it misleads people into beleiving that yogis exist. None of us has seen one.As a doctor do you believe that a person can become invisible,too heavy to be lifted,light enough t walk on water or fly??These exercises are meant for children say upto 15 years of age.You have to create your own sentences for translation.More difficult the better. Finally, in tune with your sentence,I quote "जीर्यते जीर्यतः केशा दंता जीर्यति जीर्यतः । जीर्यतश्चक्षुषी श्रोत्रे तृष्णैका तरुणायते ।।"

Dear Nat,

The sentence was for translation..I have books that ask us to translate stuff like " Do the two buffaloes read those two books?" Translation is all about grammar...a sentence can be illogical but be grammatically correct.

BTW my profession as a doctor does not blind my intellect to totally deny that somethings might actually be possible like flying,becoming light,becoming heavy etc. I have an open mind.

Personally I have not seen anything like this but that does not mean that it might not be possible..till the invention of microscopes none of us knew how bacteria looked like..so when it comes to knowledge it is better to keep an open mind and do not doubt everything and anything.

Always keep options open..God knows what is possible and not possible to the human mind.

I might not be able to fly but who knows some where some person might be able to fly accross anywhere in an invisible form.

Just to add even though I read Panini's Grammar right now I still do translation lessons for kids and beginners cos that trains our mind to think in Sanskrit and even kids work book helps us learn better..when the mind is learning advanced grammar one also need to keep in touch with basic primary kids grammar so that we can get the casual and formal feel of a language.

I do not believe in making my own sentences to translate cos we would subconsciously tend to choose words that we already know and that would not challenge our mind.

So it is better to take sentences from books and work on them.

If you ask me to start making my own sentence I might start framing sentences like this:

"What the hell yaar? It is utter nonsense! Mannangatti!"

So I guess today's lesson is translating the sentence I just wrote!LOL

My answer to the above sentence is:

कः अयं नरकः मित्रम्? निरर्थकम् इदम् ! लोष्ट!!

Last edited:
निर्वाचनम् 2014
आगामी लोकसभायाः निर्वाचनम् सर्वेषां भारतीयानां भागदेयम् शास्वतं निर्णेष्यति। कतम दलम् वा घटबन्दनं
विजयिष्यति इति न जानीमः। कतम दलम् जेतव्यम् इति अस्माभिः ज्ञातम् एव। भगवतः पाद'कमलं'' स्मृत्वा तस्मै दलाय नः मतानि दास्यामः।
मुद्रा- एवं इलेक्ट्रानिक्- साधनसंपादकानां प्रियपात्रं कः इति सर्वैः ज्ञातम्। सः मार्जनीधरः एव। प्रतिदिनं
अहर्निशं निरंतरं अस्य दलस्य कार्यकुशलता लोकप्रियता आदि अदिकृत्य समाचारपत्रे लेखाः दूर्दर्शन्यां
विचारविमर्शाः च लभ्यन्ते। एभ्यः पत्रकारेभ्यः कमलं वर्जयित्वा अन्यानि पुष्पाणि मनोहरतराणि दृश्यन्ते।
'मिषन् द्वासप्ताशतोत्तरद्विशतं' इमं संभवता परिस्रमेण सफली करिष्यामः।

Last edited:
संस्कृतम् नाम देवी वाक् ।
Let us celebrate the coming 'जय वर्ष' as "Sanskrit Revival Year", to give Sanskrit its rightful place as the second language of Tamil Brahmins. This, of course, requires total devotion, determination and confidence bordering on religious fervour.
Present Status:
By and large we ensure that our children study sanskrit in school from class VI to XII. After class XII (even after graduation!), the youngster has difficulty in communicating in Sanskrit, possibly due to generous evaluation, ineffective teaching methods and the student's lack of interest.With the passage of time whatever little that has been learnt is forgotten (unless he is taught to chant slokas, Vishnusaharanamam and Venkatesa suprabhatam) and only a sense of regret lingers.
What are the courses of action,which will enable us to accomplish this mission of raising our knowledge and use of Sanskrit to that of our English ( we have studied both upto class XII only)?
Remembering that "कोsति भारो समर्थानाम्....let us find out the ways to do it.
Please respond with a positive attitude,and give free rein to your ideas.
We can form a steering committee of go getters and hope that Mr. Sangom will agree to head it.

My suggestions
1: Raise one’s Sanskrit proficiency to that of one’s English.

2: Ensure that the children in the family learn Sanskrit...
a) In the School,
b) From Parent, (If the parent does not know, he/she should learn and simultaneously teach)

3: From private tuition. Canvass among Brahmin families in the neighbourhood to come together and arrange for Sanskrit tuitions to their kids.

My suggestions
1: Raise one’s Sanskrit proficiency to that of one’s English.

2: Ensure that the children in the family learn Sanskrit...
a) In the School,
b) From Parent, (If the parent does not know, he/she should learn and simultaneously teach)

3: From private tuition. Canvass among Brahmin families in the neighbourhood to come together and arrange for Sanskrit tuitions to their kids.

Why dont you adopt the approach of Samskrita Bharati?

That is propagation of Sanskrit for everyone regardless of caste,community,religion or race.

If you cater to a small circle hardly anyone will join.

Sanskrit is a language that belongs to no one..its for everyone.There is no Sanskrit race.

Renukaji !
Your sentiment does you credit.I also echo वसुधैवकुटुंबकम्म् .However, in the context of Tamilnadu, Sanskrit is the language of Brahmins only பிராமண பாஷை.Brahmins are considered the Aryans "Sanskrit Race" .If Tamil Brahmins neglect Sanskrit nobody else will sustain it.
There are innumerable groups like Sanskrit Bharathi, Sura Bharathi ,Istitutions like Bharathiya Vidya Bhavan, Chinmaya Mission ,Umpteen Universities including Rashtriya Sanskrit Sansthan teaching Sanskrit. What is the result ?? A pitiful five- minute news in DD, two five-minute news in Akashvani,Which nobody listens to and every body is satisfied.
I have no desire to start another Sanskrit teaching venture.I am only suggesting that Tamil Brahmins should device ways to ensure that the future generations become proficient in Sanskrit to a level on par with their English knowledge.

Last edited:
SLOKAS ARE SANSKRIT ONLY EVEN THOUGH WRITTEN IN TAMIL ..WE CAN INTRODUCE A NEW LANGUAGE SLOSKRIT OR TAMSLOSKRIT (THEREFORE FUTURE GENERATION WILL KNOW SANSKRIT DISGUISED IN TAMSLOSKRIT :humble::typing:

Fortunately many youngsters learn hindi and so by default learn devanagari script. Learning a few complex/compound letters is enough to read slokas in original.

Transliteration in a different language has its own demerits.

SLOKAS ARE SANSKRIT ONLY EVEN THOUGH WRITTEN IN TAMIL ..WE CAN INTRODUCE A NEW LANGUAGE SLOSKRIT OR TAMSLOSKRIT (THEREFORE FUTURE GENERATION WILL KNOW SANSKRIT DISGUISED IN TAMSLOSKRIT :humble::typing:

During the period from 1940 to 1960, we students studied all subjects in Tamil, before going to college. Some took sanskrit, as we were Brahmins & all Brahmin families were in the habit of reciting Sahasranamam in groups. So where ever teachers were available we studied Sanskrit, though our N.Bs used to criticize Sanskrit as a dead language. Then great Hindi agitation of 1965 & later, Dravidian parties were emboldened to ridicule us in many ways Because of our patience, many continued Sanskrit even upto Inter..It helped us to secure jobs as Stenographers( all know that such Stenos who migrated to Bombay & Delhi, by sheer hard work & open support given by many persons in these cities, not only got good jobs both in Govt & Private & steadily went up the ladder to become Secretaries & Most reliable person to Bombayites. They bouht flats in 50s 60s & even built Shanmugananda Hall the Hall-mark of Bombay.
If you learn the scripts in Hindi it is helpful to read sanskrit Slokas & by practice you can be fluent in the language. Later all schools, esp. Central schools taught these languages, and in Tamil nadu all schools take pride in having Hindi, if not Sanskrit ?
If the younger generation who are earning more & if they have the spiritual mind, can easily master Sanskrit to the extent required & have the satisfaction of reading slokas & all even on line help.
We need not regret.

Rishikesan

I have wondered why sanskrit as a language became slowly extinct in india . was the language difficult to learn or speak . so
many indian languages such as hindi and its dialects have evlved out of sanskrit. in modern days,sanskrit language has no vocational value . at best one can become a teacher in some school or college or be a purohit in some temple.some brahmins can try hanging on to
the language and recite some slokas and feel mighty holy. I learn one village in karnataka ,people transact in sanskrit. sanskrit in media is limited to news and is akin to broadcasts for deaf and dumb.who listens to it.?.ony the jews tried reviving a dead language hebrew in isreal
succeeded to some extinct. there appears to be not much of a case for its revival.

जय नाम नववर्षो नः सुखसमृद्धिमयमं भूयात् इति भगवान् अनुगृह्णातु ।
वर्धताम् नः संस्कृतज्ञानम् ।

I remember reading that rajendra prasad, first president, is solely responsible for the devaluing of samskrit. When the issue of choosing samskrit or hindi as the national language, voting was even; and prasad, as chairman of the commission voted in favour of hindi. I fervently hope that the bjp government will initiate policies for promotion and spreading of samskrit. Brahmins have a special responsibility and must do what they can.

Dear Mr sarang, What you have written had taken place at the HEAT of arguments/ counter arguments on choosing the National language. By default Hindi was the choice because of its widespread mobility even now. People who had neglected study of Hindi in 60s & 70s regret now, because they simply BLINK when they attend meetings/ conferences from southern states, esp. T.N. because DMK was in command & got an assurance from Jawaharlal that Hindi will not be imposed on Tamilians & english will continue as long as required.
Simultaneously the Central Govt started using Hindi in all official formal functions , & all protests fell in deaf ears because except T. N. no other state oppose ? Coming to your proposal for promoting Sanskrit is welcome. Even U.p & M.P. may not support now, because officially these States are fully satisfied to rule with Hindi & Sanskrit could be used for spiritual purposes. We may try to rope in these
2 states to take initiative & then only some real progress can be achieved. . Or else, we should continue to promote this through the SEERS of Saivite/ Vaisnavites .
Rishikesan

I fervently hope that the bjp government will initiate policies for promotion and spreading of samskrit. Brahmins have a special responsibility and must do what they can.

I dont get it why does anyone has to wait for a government to make changes in personal lifes?

When we are hungry we eat due to our own hunger isnt it? No one waits for government to cook food for anyone..so same here..initiative is in your own hands.. as person who is staying in a country where NO Sanskrit teachers can be found and I took my own initiative to self study Sanskrit I dont see any reason why anyone need to lament that no one is studying Sanskrit that too in INDIA!....there is no lack of Sanskrit Gurus in India but only lack of individual interest thats all.

So there is no use waiting and waiting for people to join in any revolution if no initiative is taken.

For those of you who know Sanskrit why dont you start some Sanskrit classes at your neighbourhood and teach worthy students..even having one worthy student is at least a start.

For now mostly Sanskrit lives thru mantras that many recite without knowing the meaning.

So if you want something..stop lamenting and take steps to promote anything yourself.

Last edited:
dear members,almost all defence children have studied sanskrit being schooled in Kendriya vidyalaya.beswt wishes for JAYA varushamnavy-eswaran

There are group, institutional and individual initiatives and focuses groups and forums for Sanskrit. It is also the bounden responsibility of the govt to support country's cultural wealth. Individuals will always learn what is necessary and sufficient skills. Sanskrit will always be there for the spiritual, ritual and literature leaning souls.
I dont get it why does anyone has to wait for a government to make changes in personal lifes?

When we are hungry we eat due to our own hunger isnt it? No one waits for government to cook food for anyone..so same here..initiative is in your own hands.. as person who is staying in a country where NO Sanskrit teachers can be found and I took my own initiative to self study Sanskrit I dont see any reason why anyone need to lament that no one is studying Sanskrit that too in INDIA!....there is no lack of Sanskrit Gurus in India but only lack of individual interest thats all.

So there is no use waiting and waiting for people to join in any revolution if no initiative is taken.

For those of you who know Sanskrit why dont you start some Sanskrit classes at your neighbourhood and teach worthy students..even having one worthy student is at least a start.

For now mostly Sanskrit lives thru mantras that many recite without knowing the meaning.

So if you want something..stop lamenting and take steps to promote anything yourself.

IN my write-up, and in reply to Mr sarang in #142, I have covered the query & also have dwelt with the subject Sanskrit , then & now. and also what can be thought of ? I would like to add that as Mrs Renuka has commented, each one of us & all Brahmins , who know not Sanskrit,but are inclined to learn, can resort to Inter=net On=line facility & read a Sanskrit= Tamil Book & can slowly learn in about 3 month Simultaneouly listen to Vishnu sahasranamam, & other known Slokas & recite simultaneously so that the pronunciation of 4 Kaas/ 4 Jaas /4 taas can be mastered .In Tamil there is only one Ka ? & that causes the problems. But we, brahmins talk in practice using those letters with proper sound to differentiate from Tamil.
Rishikesan

There are group, institutional and individual initiatives and focuses groups and forums for Sanskrit. It is also the bounden responsibility of the govt to support country's cultural wealth.

Dear Sarang ji,

Whenever I travel to India while waiting for my plane I usually read some Sanskrit book and invariably some Indian citizen will ask me what I am reading and the reactions of them vary like this:

1)One elderly man from India asked me "madam what are you reading?" when I replied its Sanskrit his reaction was "Madam are you alright? cos who will think of reading Sanskrit when it does not bring you any financial gain..if you learn some language like French etc..at least it will help you in life"

2)Then the following year when I was waiting at the airport one young guy asked me what I was reading..then he was "OMG you are Malaysian citizen and you learned Sanskrit..I am Indian itself but I did not bother to learn Sanskrit"

So you see the reaction of both young and old people from India with regards to Sanskrit!LOL

As far as I know interest might be lacking..these days everyone wants to gain knowledge for monetary gain..no one wants to gain knowledge for knowledge purposes.

So that problem should be addressed..to make people develop interest..half the problem is people think Sanskrit is difficult to master and shy away from it and people tend of Sanskrit as a classy language of the educated and not for the general public..all this "stigma" has to go if we want people to start taking an interest.

it might be good idea to make sanskrit mandatory for civil services . people will learn sanskrit instead of opting for geography to score marks.
Alll TBs will regain their lost glory and become civil servants . they can propagate sanskrit in rural and urban areas and recite slokas while redressing grievances of people.

Hearty 'Jaya' Greetings to All.
Please Observe this Year as 'Sanskrit Revival Year', by taking a vow to improve your Sanskrit knowledge and also to urge the future generations to continue Sanskrit studies.Mr Rishikesan's and Renuka's observations could be the inspiration.If you do want to do it.
On the other hand
If one thinks that Sanskrit is
Extinct,
Useless because it has no "vöcational Value",
It is
Shameful to be a temple purohit or a teacher,
Laughable to cling to the Language,
recite some slokas, and feel mighty holy,

He can use this year to retrospect.

I fail to see why the government should do everything for promoting Sanskrit, which is essentially in the cultural ambit of a small group of the society, especially when the brahmins themselves are indifferent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back