• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Is there a living person of Indian origin that the majority respects?

Status
Not open for further replies.

prasad1

I have been in this forum for last 6 months. I have not seen one post praising any Indian, that majority of us can accept as being a Hero. May be Indian can not accept any one except themselves as a better person. We seem to be so full of EGO, that we can not accept greatness in others, or may be Indians are not praiseworthy.

If you have any public person of Indian origin living deserves our praise please post their name and the reason for the nomination.

I will start with:

Azim PremjiDontation: $2bn ( Rs. 8846 crore)
azim_premji.jpg
Premji, who is chairman of Wipro and the third richest Indian, donated $2 billion from his estimated $18 billion net worth towards education in India. He donated the chunk to the Azim Pemji Foundation that works towards educating children in rural India. This is by far the biggest act of philanthropy by an Indian.

Dear Prasad,

This fellow is the biggest fraud in corporate history. He has fudged the company books, most of the deals are through speed (bribe) money, blacklisted by World Bank for bribing the officials, defrauded his partners, lenders etc.. manipulated share prices, insider trading, black money, & also got his criminal records from police erased etc... !!

His huge donation of 2 Bil is to avoid paying taxes, so no philanthrophy, just pure greed !

He started his business by selling vanaspathi oil with all illegal materials mixed with it, he got caught doing this, but bribed his way through !!

Sorry couldnt help taking potshots at him, you just chose the wrong guy !!

:)- :)- :)-

Cheers,
JK

Last edited:
Dear Prasad,

This fellow is the biggest fraud in corporate history. He has fudged the company books, most of the deals are through speed (bribe) money, blacklisted by World Bank for bribing the officials, defrauded his partners, lenders etc.. manipulated share prices, insider trading, black money, & also got his criminal records from police erased etc... !!

His huge donation of 2 Bil is to avoid paying taxes, so no philanthrophy, just pure greed !

He started his business by selling vanaspathi oil with all illegal materials mixed with it, he got caught doing this, but bribed his way through !!

Cheers,
JK

Obviously you did not read my post. You took a potshot, that is typical. I suppose you have done proportionately as much as he did for the education of poor Indians.
Instead of talking potshot come up with your own HERO.

May be Indian can not accept any one except themselves as a better person. We seem to be so full of EGO, that we can not accept greatness in others, or may be Indians are not praiseworthy.

Dear Prasad,

Cheers,
JK

i dont know if this is true, but it definitely is a hilarious read :)

I have been in this forum for last 6 months. I have not seen one post praising any Indian, that majority of us can accept as being a Hero. May be Indian can not accept any one except themselves as a better person. We seem to be so full of EGO, that we can not accept greatness in others, or may be Indians are not praiseworthy.

If you have any public person of Indian origin living deserves our praise please post their name and the reason for the nomination.

I will start with:

Azim PremjiDontation: $2bn ( Rs. 8846 crore)
azim_premji.jpg
Premji, who is chairman of Wipro and the third richest Indian, donated $2 billion from his estimated $18 billion net worth towards education in India. He donated the chunk to the Azim Pemji Foundation that works towards educating children in rural India. This is by far the biggest act of philanthropy by an Indian.

Dear Prasad,

How can you forget?

Rajinikanth
Shah Rukh Khan..are these two Indians making all of us proud with all their films?

Ok Ok..now coming to others..

Anna Hazare made many proud too.

Hi,

I have not seen one post praising any Indian, that majority of us can accept as being a Hero. May be Indian can not accept any one except themselves as a better person. We seem to be so full of EGO, that we can not accept greatness in others, or may be Indians are not praiseworthy

I would like to highlight that, our Greatness was in accepting greatness in others. The problem might be, that, when we choose one single person, we will not be finding all the Good in him, we basically expect a person to be FIT in all walks of life. We have Great Indians speciallized in the specialized areas.

There are many Mahans who donot want to spell their names out, are doing so many activities. During Tsunami countless people have rendered help both physically and monetarily.
One guy whom i have come across is running an orphanage for blind. He is supporting 67blind children taking care of their, Food, Shelter and Particulary their education. His name is Paul Mudha and he is a Senior Manager in Carnara Bank.. Why is he so special? He himself is BLIND.

To my opinion, we should get away from this Hero Worship. We have to unite, build a Strong Team with understanding, Sacrifice, Love, adjusting, Being humble etc. That is the way a Healthy Society can be build upon. A Leader, Manager, worker... etc.... can be there for worldly affairs (Lovekikam) and basically we are all human Beings. The heirachy is based on our Karmas. We need to have Trust and Respect to Individuals at all levels.
Warm Regards,
Sundaranada.

The problem is not with identifying a single individual, but with agreeing on the top 1 or 2 attribute that makes one respectable or praise worthy. If you call out on an attribute, you might find convergence.

Hi,

I would like to highlight that, our Greatness was in accepting greatness in others. The problem might be, that, when we choose one single person, we will not be finding all the Good in him, we basically expect a person to be FIT in all walks of life. We have Great Indians speciallized in the specialized areas.

There are many Mahans who donot want to spell their names out, are doing so many activities. During Tsunami countless people have rendered help both physically and monetarily.
One guy whom i have come across is running an orphanage for blind. He is supporting 67blind children taking care of their, Food, Shelter and Particulary their education. His name is Paul Mudha and he is a Senior Manager in Carnara Bank.. Why is he so special? He himself is BLIND.

To my opinion, we should get away from this Hero Worship. We have to unite, build a Strong Team with understanding, Sacrifice, Love, adjusting, Being humble etc. That is the way a Healthy Society can be build upon. A Leader, Manager, worker... etc.... can be there for worldly affairs (Lovekikam) and basically we are all human Beings. The heirachy is based on our Karmas. We need to have Trust and Respect to Individuals at all levels.
Warm Regards,
Sundaranada.

I agree with your sentiment. Congratulation to Paul Mudha.
If you have been on this site you will notice to a tendency to bring down all Indians. Write false and unproven accusations about every other person.
It is not hero worship, but recognizing that there are good people. These are living breathing HUMANS (NOT GOD), who do extraordinary things for others.
Like you said a little humility is needed to recognize that the other individual is also praiseworthy.

Dear Prasad,

Cheers,
JK

May I say that I have also heard things unsatisfactory about this person.

Some months back in one tv programme, they showed a person running a "petty shop" (peTTikkaDai) somewhere in one of Kerala's district HQs. (I tuned in half way through the programme, so some details are not available.) It seems this man (living in a dilapidated thatched hut, on rent, with wife and two kids) prepares (with the help of his family, of course) simple food - rice, some curry and vegetable - makes packets in plantain leafs which have been made elastic by showing them over flame, and carries the packets to the govt. hospital and distributes it to the needy patients and those who remain as their help/assistant. If some packets are left, he brings them to his shop and places them in public view with a simple board saying in Malayalam "Free meals packets". And anyone including destitute beggars are allowed to take the packet, all free of course. He does not accept any donations and his only meagre income is from that shop.

I respect this humble man, but majority of Indians (why, even Keralites) may not even have heard of him. Sorry, I have no photo of this man to flaunt.

Madurai, India (CNN) -- Narayanan Krishnan was a bright, young, award-winning chef with a five-star hotel group, short-listed for an elite job in Switzerland. But a quick family visit home before heading to Europe changed everything.
Krishnan founded his nonprofit Akshaya Trust in 2003. Now 29, he has served more than 1.2 million meals -- breakfast, lunch and dinner -- to India's homeless and destitute, mostly elderly people abandoned by their families and often abused.

He was nominated as one of the 10 heroes by CNN in 2010.

Once a rising star, chef now feeds hungry - CNN.com

Anuradha Koirala from Napal won the Award that year.
http://www.cnn.com/2010/LIVING/11/21/cnnheroes.hero.of.year/index.html

Last edited:
Shiv Nadar
Technology czar Shiv Nadar has committed to put aside well over 10% of his wealth for philanthropic ventures. Nadar’s personal wealth, based only on his shareholding in listed companies, including HCL Technologies and HCL Infosystems, is pegged at about Rs 15,000 crore. In the next five years, his philanthropic educational projects will entail an expenditure of Rs 4,000 crore. He sold a 2.5% equity in HCL Technologies last June and pumped the entire Rs 585 crore proceeds into his philanthropic efforts.

Last edited:
Yusuf Hamied

Cipla to export drugs for $100 million to Africa, which could have fetched $4 billion if they were exported to the US”—-Yusuf Hamied, chairman & managing director, Cipla

Last edited:
Gandhi Mallikarjuna Rao
The 60-year-old Gandhi Mallikarjuna Rao, founder of Bangalore-based infrastructure firm GMR Group, recently pledged Rs 1,540 crore ($340 million) to create an endowment for humanitarian activities. Rao has committed his funds to the group’s charitable wing GMR Varalakshmi Foundation. The grant is equivalent to Rao’s personal share in the entire business.

Last edited:
Gyanesh Pandey.

A native of Baithania village in Bihar's West Champaran district, he was making mega bucks in Los Angeles in the semiconductor industry. But a chance conversation with a childhood friend persuaded him to return to his home state.

Pandey came back and with the help of friends to start Husk Power Systems, a company that provides electricity at dirt-cheap rates to villagers, using rice husk: A clean, simple solution, as the raw material is available in ample quantity.
"I had been trying for many years to do some work in rural electrification. But nothing worked out," Pandey, an electrical engineer from Benaras Hindu University, told IANS over phone from Patna.
But in 2007, the idea of producing inexpensive green power using husk struck Pandey who set up the first plant in Tamkuha, a remote village in West Champaran. Soon he was able to light up Tamkuha, which literally means fog of darkness in the local lingo.
Today, Husk Power runs 84 plants, lighting up the lives of over 350 villages and hamlets in Bihar, Uttar Pradesh, West Bengal and Andhra Pradesh. They charge around Rs,.100 for 50 watt of power per month to a village household.
People like Pandey feel social entrepreneurs should not to be misunderstood with those doing philanthropy. They understand that a one-off dole or an odd project is not going to help the less privileged in a meaningful way.
India's new social entrepreneurs: making an impact where government fails - Economic Times

Sudesh Menon

Sudesh Menon, co-founder of Waterlife, has a similar story to share. Before coming back to India, he was the country head of
General Electric in Malaysia. But Anji Reddy of Dr. Reddy's Lab persuaded him to join his mission on drinking water in rural India.
Peturbed by a UN finding that India ranked 120 out 122 nations on potable water quality, Menon toured the country-side and launched pioneering water purification systems. They charge Rs.3-5 for 20 litres of drinking water across 1,500 villages in six states.
"When we started this model, we were ridiculed by everybody -- government, bureaucracy. They said village people will never pay for water. But we proved all of them wrong," said Menon. "Our next target is urban slums."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back