• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Is the Community digging its own grave

Status
Not open for further replies.
Josyars may soon have competition from compatibility consultants; couples intent to tie the knot will be advised to undergo a score of compatibility tests - physical, mental, educational, attitudinal, and a lot more. Day is not far off when other factors will push 'love' to the lower rungs of the list.

Only yesterday, a chinmaya mission swamiji said in his lecture to the students - love is only 10%, understanding and adjustment constitute the rest.

Palindrome,

what else can you expect?
If Jat A had married blindly led by his harmones and fantasies a female from Chambal's ravines without doing a background check, he may one day end up in a police station explaining his inability to control his son who just the day before had taken a gun to the class room and shot dead just ten of his classmates.

If he knows Jat A's fate, he would be a happy man dying single.

It also means that the culture and values over thousand of years have had their impact on the genes of the community and so there is no case to tamper with that evolved gene pool by mating it with a less evolved or differently evolved gene pool. The result will be only a mule. Keep trying. Good luck.

Just a point of fact ... both Adi Shankara and Bhagavat Ramanuja (perhaps Madwachariyar also, I am not sure) cite Krishna Yajur Veda to assert the validity of Manu Dharmashathra. They both cite Taitriya Samhita 2.2.10.2 which ends with the following:

किं च मनुर अवदत् तद भेषजं -- (whatever Manu said is medicine)

So, please note, the authority for Manu comes directly from the very source that the Brahmins consider aupuresheya and therefore unassailable.

Which came earlier the smritis or the sruti? Kindly throw some light on this.

Sometime back I saw in an online magazine a recipe for Iyengar Chicken.

When an Iyengar chick enters into a IC/IR marriage it gets cooked and the result is Iyengar chicken. Add a lot of garam masala to it and you get what you are served here in this forum.

Renuka in 474:

To be specific..I choose to call it mindset but for all practical purposes here I would use the word "gene" too for discussion with you.

If you start the discussion with this apriori definition the discussion is doomed from the word go. You have a mindset as I do have one. So please for a moment detach yourself from it and look at things. A request. Now to the conversation.

1.this story: When I visited India as a girl aged 12..I saw a Brahmin person( he had all the identification of a Brahmin..tuft of hair..dressed as …………………that was my 1st experience in India.

2.Over the years when I stayed there as a student I realized that the average Brahmin looked down upon animals as dirty and contact with animals will render them impure and even closed their noses when a chicken walked pass them.I realized that they are vegetarians mainly becos meat and Non veg items are considered impure and Non Sattvik and will render them impure.
Non Veg was considered non conducive for spiritual growth.I was always under the impression that Brahmins never ate Non Veg becos out of love and compassion for animals but sadly not all Brahmins thought like this.I was also surprised that most South Indian Brahmins loved to wear Silk Sarees.I used to wonder when Silk is clearly Non Veg..how come they did not mind letting Non Veg drape their body?

3.Then when I returned to Malaysia..I happened to work as an intern under a Sri Lankan Tamilian Surgeon from here who was married to a TB lady doctor from TN India.Once during our lunch break..this surgeon happen to notice me eating Veg food and he asked me if I was Veg.I said yes...then he told me he is married to a TB and now his TB wife even eats Mc Donalds beef burger and loves it. He told me if a Pure Veg TB could eat beef now..."if you hang around with me longer I could you make a NB like you start eating meat again" To this I replied to him..."Dr..I had been Non Veg till the age of 19..I gave it up becos I had compassion for animals and did not feel right eating Non Veg anymore..hence I also do not wear silk and leather..for your wife vegetarianism could have been becos of her lifestyle...now her lifestyle has changed..so she has started eating non veg..but for me no matter how long I hang around with you..I wont eat non veg becos compassion does not change when lifestyle changes"

1. I would say just this much only. I do not form judgments on the basis of such stray incidents. While I do not want to appear to be nitpicking I may venture to tell you this. How do you know whether that Brahmin had a reason for his behavior or not. How did you conclude that it was a wanton behavior. Why this hanging without a trial?

2. Brahmins have no need to rationalize their adherence to ahimsa even to themselves. Because of their genes it is just natural to them. When you ask a Brahmin woman whether you eat curry she will say yes readily. If you further ask what curry she will say vAzhakkai curry, koththavarankaai curry or kaththirikkai curry and give you a quizzical look wondering what other curry can be there. So a fish curry or any other such thing is not there in her mind at all. She does not have to bring in the compassion, living in harmony with eco system and all those intellectual load into the reckoning because she is simple and straight. That is the difference between a Brahmin gene and a NB gene. The NB gene looks for a reason to be a vegetarian, secretly looks for a pat on its back for being compassionate etc., whereas a Brahmin gene is just naturally vegetarian even if you call it crazy to be that.

3. The words of your friend “He told me if a Pure Veg TB could eat beef now..."if you hang around with me longer I could you make a NB like you start eating meat again"
have a message there. Association with people who can strongly influence you changes your behavior pattern. Particularly if you had a cloistered upbringing, had allowed your harmones to assume command, your parents had brought you up without telling you about your unique cultural background you will end up losing your identity. If you are weak, particularly as a woman, no amount of logic will save you from being ruled over. That is the reality today. You are perhaps a lucky exception to retain your compassion.

So you see Vaagmi sir..I do agree with you..the TB Veg gene is different from the NB Veg gene.TB veg gene could be having a cultural component as your yourself have mentioned as a NB I can say that the NB veg gene could be having a compassion component.

As a NB, in your mental process, you needed a moment of persuasion to remind yourself about the ‘compassion’ to be a vegetarian. You try to give your son or daughter in marriage to a Brahmin and the offspring may or may not need half of that one small moment of hesitation to decide. In the next generation to that (your great grand daughter or ggson) it may be 100% an involuntary decision. Provided you, your children and your grand children pass on the culture to the offsprings. The environment matters.
Only this much can be written here. Thanks.

Dear Vaagmi Sir,

Just yesterday I was discussing about genes and behavioral patterns with a family member of mine but we could not come to a conclusion cos the random sampling pool of people were discussing about was just too small and a large scale study need to be done..further more environmental influence also plays a major role.

But I will have to agree with you with regards to the Brahmin vegetarian "gene" being different from a Non Brahmin vegetarian "gene".

To be specific..I choose to call it mindset but for all practical purposes here I would use the word "gene" too for discussion with you.

Ok..let me relate this story.

When I visited India as a girl aged 12..I saw a Brahmin person( he had all the identification of a Brahmin..tuft of hair..dressed as one and had a sacred thread etc).

I was at a religious place and he was walking about holding a japa mala in his hand and also a long stick on the other hand.

Then he was reciting some mantras and doing japa while walking.

Suddenly a dog ran happen to pass in front of him.

He hit the dog hard with the stick and sent the dog howling and continued his Japa.

I was shocked to see that (cos I was just a kid then..almost cried).

Ok that was my 1st experience in India.

Over the years when I stayed there as a student I realized that the average Brahmin looked down upon animals as dirty and contact with animals will render them impure and even closed their noses when a chicken walked pass them.

I realized that they are vegetarians mainly becos meat and Non veg items are considered impure and Non Sattvik and will render them impure.
Non Veg was considered non conducive for spiritual growth.

I was always under the impression that Brahmins never ate Non Veg becos out of love and compassion for animals but sadly not all Brahmins thought like this.

I was also surprised that most South Indian Brahmins loved to wear Silk Sarees.
I used to wonder when Silk is clearly Non Veg..how come they did not mind letting Non Veg drape their body?

Then when I returned to Malaysia..I happened to work as an intern under a Sri Lankan Tamilian Surgeon from here who was married to a TB lady doctor from TN India.

Once during our lunch break..this surgeon happen to notice me eating Veg food and he asked me if I was Veg.

I said yes...then he told me he is married to a TB and now his TB wife even eats Mc Donalds beef burger and loves it.

He told me if a Pure Veg TB could eat beef now..."if you hang around with me longer I could you make a NB like you start eating meat again"

To this I replied to him..."Dr..I had been Non Veg till the age of 19..I gave it up becos I had compassion for animals and did not feel right eating Non Veg anymore..hence I also do not wear silk and leather..for your wife vegetarianism could have been becos of her lifestyle...now her lifestyle has changed..so she has started eating non veg..but for me no matter how long I hang around with you..I wont eat non veg becos compassion does not change when lifestyle changes"

So you see Vaagmi sir..I do agree with you..the TB Veg gene is different from the NB Veg gene.

TB veg gene could be having a cultural component as your yourself have mentioned as a NB I can say that the NB veg gene could be having a compassion component.

Smt. Renuka,

When we talk with certain confirmed mindsets, there is no use for such "nice" arguments, I feel. I know certain brahmins (Tabras, at that) who pass of as "true blue" brahmins and are given special places of honour when the Kanchi Acharya or some such person visits, but you can find these people in the safe confines of some 5-star hotels often times, savouring non-vegetarian food items.

At the other end, I have heard from the labourer who cleans our compound (NB, low caste and NV too) saying that so-and-so people from our colony bring ready-to-eat NV food from some very well-known outlets and he (the labourer) sometimes gets the unused portions on the next day. These are just two samples of what the so-called "vaagmi gene" is all about.

This gene cannot differentiate between a veg. item and a rank NV item if placed on the table. Once, a vaagmi-like colleague who used to boast about his veg. gene credentials was given, during an official lunch, a plate which apparently contained some fried items which looked to me somewhat like our home-made vaDaams fried, but those were slightly different and I did not touch because I have a very sensitive stomach. Our boastful 'gene'wallah friend (tabra) went for that item with more than full gusto and applauded the chef. At the end, as prearranged, the chef came and announced that it was a non-veg preparation - worms growing on rotting pig meat mixed with some masala and fried. This plate was stratagically placed at the centre of the V-NV halves of the table and our great brahmin gene could not differentiate even after eating a lot!! That's all I think about the vegetarianism of the tabras.

It is relevant to keep in mind that long, long before Shri vaagmi, a sage called Apastamba had the pragmatism to accept gene intermixing within the brahmin community when he introduced the mantra beginning "yan nE mAtA pralulObhA bhavantyananuvrataa..." as one of the Sraaddha mantras which we have discussed here more than once.

As a NB, in your mental process, you needed a moment of persuasion to remind yourself about the ‘compassion’ to be a vegetarian. You try to give your son or daughter in marriage to a Brahmin and the offspring may or may not need half of that one small moment of hesitation to decide. In the next generation to that (your great grand daughter or ggson) it may be 100% an involuntary decision. Provided you, your children and your grand children pass on the culture to the offsprings. The environment matters.
Only this much can be written here. Thanks.

Dear Vaagmi Ji,

I think I can summarize what you wrote.

Before that...Note :Other members please note this is regards to Vaagmi Ji's "genetic" theory and not a general statement.

Let me get a bit technical and call it the Vaagmi Gene(Borrowed Sangom Ji's terminology)

1)The "Vaagmi Gene Veg" component effect does not go through the Cerebral Cortex.

It is a Spinal Reflex.

Let me explain what a Spinal Reflex is.

For example: when we accidentally touch a hot object..we move our hand away from it right away..we do not stop to think..".Oh its hot..therefore should I take my hand away from it our not??"

We do not start to think...it is an automatic response that does not go through the Brain and only goes through the motor neurons of the spine.

From what Vaagmi's Ji wrote in his post #479..he did say

The NB gene looks for a reason to be a vegetarian, secretly looks for a pat on its back for being compassionate etc., whereas a Brahmin gene is just naturally vegetarian even if you call it crazy to be that.

He stated that the NB veg gene looks for a reason to be a vegetarian and secretly looks for a pat in the back for being compassionate.

Ok..both this process of looking for a reason and secretly looking for a pat in the back needs the Cerebral Cortex.

On the other hand..he also mentioned that the
Brahmin Gene is naturally Vegetarian and Vaagmi Ji also mentions that "Brahmins have no need to rationalize their adherence to ahimsa even to themselves"

He also added that :
You try to give your son or daughter in marriage to a Brahmin and the offspring may or may not need half of that one small moment of hesitation to decide. In the next generation to that (your great grand daughter or ggson) it may be 100% an involuntary decision.

Now...When any process is natural and does not need rationalization and is involuntary in nature it does not involve the Cerebral Cortex and is a Spinal Reflex.

So my dear Vaagmi Ji..glad to know I still use my Cerebral Cortex.

Last edited:
Sangom in #480:

When we talk with certain confirmed mindsets, there is no use for such "nice" arguments, I feel. I know certain brahmins (Tabras, at that) who pass of as "true blue" brahmins and are given special places of honour when the Kanchi Acharya or some such person visits, but you can find these people in the safe confines of some 5-star hotels often times, savouring non-vegetarian food items.

What is your case. Are you saying that all the brahmins who are followers of Kanchi Acharya are Non-vegetarians who tell a lie to their acharya? What are you driving at by this paragraph?

At the other end, I have heard from the labourer who cleans our compound (NB, low caste and NV too) saying that so-and-so people from our colony bring ready-to-eat NV food from some very well-known outlets and he (the labourer) sometimes gets the unused portions on the next day. These are just two samples of what the so-called "vaagmi gene" is all about.

Sangom. Come on. Show some maturity. What do you try to prove? I have never disputed that there can be exceptions to a rule. It depends on your cultural back ground and the surrounding in which you have grown up. If you are a brahmin and has been given NV food right from childhood, you will relish it and ask for it in spite of your genes being allergic to it. So you prove nothing here other than discovering a new variety of genes called vaagmi genes. பொழுது போக்கமுடியாத பிராமணன் பூனையை பிடிச்சு சிரைச்சானாம்.

This gene cannot differentiate between a veg. item and a rank NV item if placed on the table. Once, a vaagmi-like colleague who used to boast about his veg. gene credentials was given, during an official lunch, a plate which apparently contained some fried items which looked to me somewhat like our home-made vaDaams fried, but those were slightly different and I did not touch because I have a very sensitive stomach. Our boastful 'gene'wallah friend (tabra) went for that item with more than full gusto and applauded the chef. At the end, as prearranged, the chef came and announced that it was a non-veg preparation - worms growing on rotting pig meat mixed with some masala and fried. This plate was stratagically placed at the centre of the V-NV halves of the table and our great brahmin gene could not differentiate even after eating a lot!! That's all I think about the vegetarianism of the tabras.

An elementary scientific fact-gene cannot differentiate between veg and non veg food, just as it can not differentiate between poison and edible food because gene is not equal to human being. I am glad that you, unlike me, has an extra sensory perception to understand what is good and bad in food items by a mere look at them or is it that the vadaams made in your house are horrible to eat. Next time when you come to Chennai you can visit us and we will give you delicious fried vadams to eat!! Please brush up your memory studying elementary genetics.

It is relevant to keep in mind that long, long before Shri vaagmi, a sage called Apastamba had the pragmatism to accept gene intermixing within the brahmin community when he introduced the mantra beginning "yan nE mAtA pralulObhA bhavantyananuvrataa..." as one of the Sraaddha mantras which we have discussed here more than once.

That does not prove your point either. Please think about it.
Thanks.

dear Renuka Madam,

I think I can summarize what you wrote.
Before that...Note :Other members please note this is regards to Vaagmi Ji's "genetic" theory and not a general statement.
Let me get a bit technical and call it the Vaagmi Gene(Borrowed Sangom Ji's terminology)
1)The "Vaagmi Gene Veg" component effect does not go through the Cerebral Cortex.
It is a Spinal Reflex.
Let me explain what a Spinal Reflex is.
For example: when we accidentally touch a hot object..we move our hand away from it right away..we do not stop to think..".Oh its hot..therefore should I take my hand away from it our not??"
We do not start to think...it is an automatic response that does not go through the Brain and only goes through the motor neurons of the spine.
From what Vaagmi's Ji wrote in his post #479..he did say
He stated that the NB veg gene looks for a reason to be a vegetarian and secretly looks for a pat in the back for being compassionate.
Ok..both this process of looking for a reason and secretly looking for a pat in the back needs the Cerebral Cortex.
On the other hand..he also mentioned that the Brahmin Gene is naturally Vegetarian and Vaagmi Ji also mentions that "Brahmins have no need to rationalize their adherence to ahimsa even to themselves"
He also added that :
You try to give your son or daughter in marriage to a Brahmin and the offspring may or may not need half of that one small moment of hesitation to decide. In the next generation to that (your great grand daughter or ggson) it may be 100% an involuntary decision.
When any process is natural and does not need rationalization and is involuntary in nature it does not involve the Cerebral Cortex and is a Spinal Reflex.
So my dear Vaagmi Ji..glad to know I still use my Cerebral Cortex.

From the way you have marshalled all your resources-resources like, the cerebral cortex, cerebellum, medulla oblongata etc., which you think you have in good working condition -and yet have proved nothing, that you have no argument to offer against Rob Boyd's theory, I come to only one conclusion. All this lengthy post from you and your comrade in arm are just alphabet soups without any flavour or taste and you have only the tasteless vadams from Sangom's house to go with it.

You have botched up your summing up. Now let me help you. The gist of what I said was " I am a vegetarian because I am nothing but that. You are a vegetarian because you have loaded yourself with compassion".

Thanks.

Last edited:
dear Renuka Madam,

From the way you have marshalled all your resources-resources like, the cerebral cortex, cerebellum, medulla oblongata etc., which you think you have in good working condition -and yet have proved nothing, that you have no argument to offer against Rob Boyd's theory, I come to only one conclusion. All this lengthy post from you and your comrade in arm are just alphabet soups without any flavour or taste and you have only the tasteless vadams from Sangom's house to go with it. Thanks.

Dear Vaagmi Ji,

I have to agree with you...one needs a perfect functioning the cerebral cortex, cerebellum, medulla oblongata etc. to be able to use a lap top and type here.

But proving a point is optional.

Dear Vaagmi Ji,

I have to agree with you...one needs a perfect functioning the cerebral cortex, cerebellum, medulla oblongata etc. to be able to use a lap top and type here.

But proving a point is optional.

Dear Renuka Madam,

I agree with you fully, I have turned on my Media player.

Sangom in #447:

Dear Mr. Sangom,

Ic/Ir marriages have been happening since time immemorial. They will happen in future too just as they are happening in the present times. They do not require a reason to happen. There is no use banging your head against a stone wall. If a girl or a boy is bent on having a IC/IR marriage and is ready to ignore the sentiments of the parents and other near and dear ones, the marriage just happens. The issue here is not that. The relevant point is how is it accepted. Should we concur that the IC/IR marriages are desirable, they are great, they are better than the SC/SR marriages, they are something to be sought after etc.,? Societal realities have been changing all along. It is not something happening only now. When there is a tendency to trivialize and trash something which is harmless, beautiful which has stood the test of times well, why should we go with that? Should we not oppose that? These are the questions that have led me to participate in this discussion.

That was summing up the rebuttal to the ten points which preceded that para in that post.

Again I would like to keep aside the IC/IR love marriage. There is very little that can be done there. But are there not eligible Brahmin widows with or without children? My view on this is that boys should understand the true significance of the upanishadic words “prajA thanthum mA vyavachchEthsi”. Where marriages do not materialize because of economic factors, little can be done. But all other reasons are largely in the minds of the concerned two individuals. I understand your position well. But the dialogue is an attempt to look for validation of ideas. Thanks.

My view on this is that elders should look at widow(with or without issues) remarriage a little more liberally, and should encourage boys(?) who are stuck to marry even girls elder than them by a few years.

I dont know but the only girl in my family married a naidu (not even all that bad), but she is practically ostracized for everything.

so,it is just normal.His family looks like a misfit in every function,sow e stopped calling them.

dear ravi,

re your post #470.

i can empathize and understand the depth of your feelings. i would like my apologies at any time for wounding your feelings. it was never intended to be the same.

of late, i have been seeing a lot of caste related stuff, call it caste wars in the tamil blogs. it is part of our psyche, i have come to understand.

and the pains that go with it, in entrenched in the community. personally, i think, as an NRI i feel not qualified enough to comment any more on this subject any more. india, that i wish, and india that i imagine to be, and the india that is a reality, are two different things. for once i would incline that these are as vast as the distance between black and white.

that is a reality, and much as we face the problems of change, i think, i would more tend to observe than speak out on this topic. i have learnt a lot more, in the past few weeks, and today, re cheran, a person whom i admire, is in the same quagmire. :(

apologies to anyone else whose feelings may be hurt. all i can honestly that it never was intended to be such. ...

my views remain. but i find the complexity of the issue as viewed in india, overwhelms any change..which will come at its own pace and every person will deal with it in their own way. i doubt whether a community based solution is feasible, and will be followed by tambrams as a single effective entity. all i can say, let us have faith in the future.

peace.

[video=youtube;fXeMR7qbQfQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXeMR7qbQfQ[/video]

Frankly speaking,I find iyengar people in general better.I would gladly have Iyer girls marry iyengar chaps than anyone else.

கால பைரவன்;200102 said:
By this if you mean Udayakumar is raking up hatemongering against Brahmins to win the support of dravidianist political parties, I agree. Although, in the tamils issue, those political parties initially supported only to betray them at the crucial time. In the koodankulam issue, both the dominant parties seem to have always been in support of the plant.

He can shout as much as he wants the Hindu Nadars of Kanyakuamri wont budge an inch.he can go screw hismelf.

:)

Expected these responses. But look around. Don't you think nature's gameplan is already in execution?

The situation of certain communities is similar. Excessive and Unmarrried males. Fewer females (and this includes females who prefer to marry according to their expectations -- which may include IC/IR).

I would compare this with two Jat males.

Jat A married a female of his liking, sired kids, and ensured life moves on. One may think he has a better perspective of life, perhaps.

Jat B stuck in a khap and village kinda mentality, holding his casteism intact, is expecting his exclusivity to get him a jat bride but finds no takers. Considering how females in this decade have turned out, perhaps non-jat females will also not come near him.

Quite obviously Jat B without realizing it has set up himself for extinction.

This issue is not exclusive to tambrams alone. It is common to certain patrilineal communities including those habituated to dowry-taking. Perhaps nature is up against such people. Maybe. And/Or perhaps there is a gameplan of biological diversity involved in this marriage / mating scenario.

Vaagmi, the in-house variety merely denotes the mrca of any community were derived from various backgrounds, various gene pools, various tribes. Auh, it is unfortunate those who think their genepool is exclusive call others smug, unhealthy and judgmental. All i can say is good-luck to you. Perhaps some folks are mightier than nature :)

I agree with you one one thing,

Iyer males who dont get married at a certain age should look for pillaimaar/jain or any vegetarian castes.

Should look to karnataka/andhra also.

So you are saying only brahmins have satvik genes and everyone else has criminal tendencies? If so, how do you explain criminals amongst brahmins? One just has to take a look at crime reports in UP and MP.

Btw, Don't you think dharmashastras exhibit criminal tendencies? The 'divine laws' merely exhibit cornering of resources. One may say its plain corruption or perhaps a survival instinct taken to the extreme.

You are absolutely mistaken. Clearly you are not a geneticist.

Perhaps you refer to the dual inheritance theory. Or no?

Firstly you need to explain what is culture? When we speak of culture shaping the genome we are speaking of pointers such as correlating lactose intolerance with cattle herding peoples. We are not speaking of your imagined "values" or your evolved gene pool (whatever that means). Since you have brought genetics into the picture, i can most certainly prove to you that your ancestry or origin is co-related to tribes which currently exist in India.

If you think present-day brahmins have existed since thousands of years, you need to explain how? You also need to prove your current culture existed thousands of years ago. Looking forward to your reply based on which culture you belong to -- vadakalai, thenkalai, madhava, vadama, brihacharanam, etc. Good luck.

Your reply will also correlate to my query in post # 460 wherein i asked --- For how many generations are you able to prove your recent ancestors were practicing your culture? Are you able to prove they were not derived from an "interested" group which did not originally belong to the culture you currently practice?

UP/MP Pandits dont have the luxury of satwikness,they have no protection,they have been insecure since ages.

I belong to Vadama culture,it may not be 5000 years old but it is a continuation of the same.

There is no Brahmin gene but there is a brahmin culture and teachings.

The temperment comes from culture and unless there is a very strong need to change,u cant change ur temperment just like that.

Ya DNA wise most Indian are together but the Brahmins dont share that much with most dravidian castes.

They share most with Andhra/karnataka/maharashtra brahmins.

so,whats the point here?

I can never embezzle money or take a bribe in my life,thats my culture.

And i face my problems head on,when i see otehr NB guys around i am not convinced of this quality,maybe 1 0r 2,not more.

I see the kings and dominant kshatriyas of TN take reservation,i cant jump into that pool of shit.

But the people i respect the most are the Jaffna/kanyakumari Velallars,i believe we do share a culture with them and also saiva pillaimaars of tirunelveli.

Which came earlier the smritis or the sruti? Kindly throw some light on this.
Vaagmi, I have given complete reference, please look it up. If you wish I can provide the references from Shankara Bhashyam and Sri Bhashyam as well.

Vaagmi, I have given complete reference, please look it up. If you wish I can provide the references from Shankara Bhashyam and Sri Bhashyam as well.

Nara,

I am not interested in looking up any bhashyam. I believe you. But please let me know which one belongs to an earlier time whether the smriti or the sruti. Answer please. Thanks.

Dear Sri Nara

:) :) nice!!!

The reason given for refraining from meat is certainly not compassion for anything, meat has been labeled not-satvik by the Brahmins in the post Vedic period, probably to show they are one better than the vegetarians in the south.

The two points which I wish to contest are Sri Nara's speculation of time and purpose. Per Sri Nara it is post vedic and as a show off of being one better than the vegetarians in the south.

Sri Nara's speculation can be easily rebutted by another speculation by me that mad cow's disease was the reason for abandoning meat by the brahmins. The point of bringing in north india and south india division shows just how much one is aligned with dravidian supremacist philosophy.

I am appending herebelow the excerpts of Vedic Hinduism paper by M. Witzel & S. W, Jamison in 1992. It clearly shows that the concept of "papam" and "karma" are the reasons for the change of stance from ritual sactifice to the concept of ahimsa. The vedic brahmins did not need any lessons from buddhists or dravidian supramacists. The concept had crystallised even before the vedic people moved into the Bihar state area of present day India and in the middle vedic period

QUOTE :

1. An important point in middle Vedic thought is the problem of how to
avoid evil (agha, enas, påpa, on the last word, see Das 1984) and pollution. In
fact, this wish, -- and not the avoidance of violence as such, as Heesterman will
have it -- can be seen as the motivating force underlying much of the ritual
reform that took place at the beginning of the period. The little studied myth of
Indra cutting off the head of Dadhyañc illuminates the concern of the main
acting priests in ritual, the Adhvaryu priests, of avoiding direct involvement in
killing, as exercised by them in ritual. They fear pollution by påpa, the "evil" of
being stained with blood and being "touched" by death (cf. the concept of
meni) but they do not object to killing and force as such. Rather they delegate
these actions and substitute another person and avoid direct "contact".
The tale has become main myth of justification of the priestly class
(Witzel 1987b, n. 103): The Aśvin, doctors and latecomers to the ritual of the
gods, become their Adhvaryu priests, after having gained the secret of the (cut
off) head of the sacrifice. They did so after hearing about it from Dadhyañc,
whose head they had replaced with a horse's head as to avoid his killing
by Indra as punishment for divulging this secret. Indeed, in ritual, the killing of sacrificial
victims is done outside the sacrificial ground by helpers, and it is not even
referred to overtly. The animal is "pacified" (śam). This line of thought is in need
of a detailed treatment.

2. If we can indeed trace a development in "philosophy", then it is the
gradual increase in importance of the idea of a second death and of retribution
for one's action in this world (Schmidt 1968). These ideas occur only in late
BråhmaNa passages (and mostly in the eastern parts of North India, e.g.
punarmrtyu, (see Witzel 1989a). While ritual was believed to provide enough
power to eliminate the evil incurred by killing (a fear noticeable already in the
Rgvedic horse sacrifice), this concern now becomes more of a problem: every
action has its automatic consequence and thus the killing of an animal produces
"evil" ("guilt" is not appropriate, as it is a later, moral term applicable only to
karmic concerns). Indeed, in the late BråhmaNam as the concept of a reversal of
fortune in the other world occurs several times.

In the vision of Bhgu, the son of VaruNa, (ŚB 11.6.1) and at other
locations (Schmidt 1968) there emerges the idea of a reverse world where
animals devour humans; this created great fear in Bhrgu, which must be
indicative of what Vedic man felt at this point. In addition, the concept of a
scale on which all of men's deeds are weighed after death is also found (in ŚB) for
the first time (see below). These are new ideas, and the way at least one of them is
introduced is indicative of their singularity: as a vision of Bhrgu, the son
of the highest gods, VaruNa

UNQUOTE

If anyone is willing to quote sources which clearly stipulate what Sri Nara has contended and/or positively repudiates what M/s Witzel and Jamison have stated I am willing to change my opinion. Please note that this paper was published in 1992 and has taken into account pros and cons or contradicting view points existing then. So quotation of paasssages or excerpts of other authors published prior to 1992 have very limited scope.

Regards

Last edited:
Nara,

I am not interested in looking up any bhashyam. I believe you. But please let me know which one belongs to an earlier time whether the smriti or the sruti. Answer please. Thanks.
Vaagmi, you asserted when there is a contradiction Sruti trumps Smriti. Now I have cited Sruti which proclaims that every word of Manu is like medicine. Therefore, there is direct authority from Sruti itself that the rules pertaining to Shudra stated in Manu are valid. If you don't accept these Smriti edicts then you are contradicting Sruti which you said was a higher authority than Smriti. The obvious illogic of these assertions are for you to work out.

BTW, the chronology of Sruti and Smriti is not a problem for me because I think both Sruti and Smriti are full of interpolations. Lot of people dumped into it a lot of stuff. Some clever Brahmin who wanted to make Manu supreme probably inserted this little nugget into the Samhita. If one is to look at these texts dispassionately one cannot escape the conclusion that neither Sruti nor Smriti is an authority for anything. They both belong to the dustbin of history.

But of course if you are a faithful Brahmin, then every word of Sruti is aupurusheya and timeless and therefore immutably true. This applies to the statement about Manu which is to come later. How to reconcile this chronology problem, I am sure the faithful have a boatload of explanations, check with them. To me of course all that is bunk.

Dear zebra16, Before I state my response let me first submit that my main argument in that post was the fact that Brahmins eschewing meat was not about compassion, and neither driven by genetic forces like a cow being vegetarian.

Dear Sri Nara
The two points which I wish to contest are Sri Nara's speculation of time and purpose. Per Sri Nara it is post vedic and as a show off of being one better than the vegetarians in the south.
As you have rightly noted these are only my speculations, I am not claiming these as irrefutable facts. I am ready to revise me view if reasonable evidence is presented. What you have presented actually supports my view that it was not compassion that drove Brahmins to adopt vegetarianism, but I know, your point is about "time" and "purpose" for adopting vegetarianism.

But zebra16, what you have cited does not say anything about Brahmins adopting vegetarianism, it is all about who is going to do the dirty work. When Brahmins adopted vegetarianism or for what purpose is not addressed at all by the cited text.

(Aside: I am unable to locate this, perhaps Shri Sangom can help -- there was indeed an attempt to replace meat from slaughtered animals to animal figurines made of dough. Apparently the Devas objected and the matter was referred to a neutral party and the verdict was in favor of the Devas. In other words animal sacrifice continued unabated.)

The second question is why they adopted vegetarianism. There is a case to be made that the incidence of vegetarianism among Brahmins correlates with their contact with South Indian Jains and Buddists -- aka "Dravidian Supremacists" :). Still a speculation, I concede, but not one pulled out of thin air.

regards ....

p.s. do you really subscribe to this vegetarian-gene theory? I don't have a right to ask this question, so, with a great deal of trepidation I ask you, how come you are not contesting the strange vegetarian gene theory but only about my speculations? A lot is usually made of this putative gang of Brahmin Bashers on the prowl. But the fact is, we openly disagree and challenge each other, a thing that is rarely seen among those who bitterly oppose us the Brahmin Bashers!!!

Sri Nara
p.s. do you really subscribe to this vegetarian-gene theory? I don't have a right to ask this question, so, with a great deal of trepidation I ask you, how come you are not contesting the strange vegetarian gene theory but only about my speculations? A lot is usually made of this putative gang of Brahmin Bashers on the prowl. But the fact is, we openly disagree and challenge each other, a thing that is rarely seen among those who bitterly oppose us the Brahmin Bashers!!!

I subscribe to the theory that forefathers of even the most ardent and strident brahmin was once upon a time strictly and purely a meat eater.

Regards

I subscribe to the theory that forefathers of even the most ardent and strident brahmin was once upon a time strictly and purely a meat eater.
:) that is so true isn't? The reason homosapien came to have a large brain and consequent to that dominate the earth is because our forefathers in Africa at least 200,000 years ago were all meat-eaters. I notice you didn't answer my second question, which I once again acknowledge I have no right to ask.

best regards ...

:) that is so true isn't? The reason homosapien came to have a large brain and consequent to that dominate the earth is because our forefathers in Africa at least 200,000 years ago were all meat-eaters. I notice you didn't answer my second question, which I once again acknowledge I have no right to ask.

best regards ...

Sri Nara,

I havent really followed up all the posts culminating in veg gene theory. I will go through them and revert back to you. On the face of it, it is difficult for me to accept the veg. gene theory.

Regards.

Gene theory or not, if someone here were to claim that brahmins are compassionate and NBs are not, there will be a huge hue and cry and brahmins will be decried as supremacists. But the counter-claim is not only repudiated but applauded. Therefore, Zebra is correct in calling them out as dravidianist supremacists!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back