• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Introduction to Vedic Astrology

Table depicting rashis,nakshatras and their lords
RashisNakshatrasExtent s d mPadaLord
1Mesha1. Ashwini0[SUP]s[/SUP]13°20'4Ketu
2. Bharani0[SUP]s[/SUP]26°40'4Venus
3. Krittika1[SUP]s[/SUP]0°0'1Sun
2Rishabha3. Krittika1[SUP]s[/SUP]10°0'3Sun
4. Rohini1[SUP]s[/SUP]23°20'4Moon
5. Mrigasira2[SUP]s[/SUP]0°0'2Mars
3Mithuna5. Mrigasira2[SUP]s[/SUP]6°40'2Mars
6. Ardra2[SUP]s[/SUP]20°0'4Rahu
7. Punarvasu3[SUP]s[/SUP]0°0'3Jupiter
4Karka7. Punarvasu3[SUP]s[/SUP]3°20'1Jupiter
8.Pushya3[SUP]s[/SUP]16°40'4Saturn
9. Ashlesha4[SUP]s[/SUP]0°0'4Mercury
5Simha10. Magha4[SUP]s[/SUP]13°20'4Mercury
11. P Phalguni (Pooram_4[SUP]s[/SUP]26°40'4Venus
12. U Phalguni(Uthiram)5[SUP]s[/SUP]0°0'1Sun
6Kanya12. U Phalguni5[SUP]s[/SUP]10°0'3Sun
13. Hasta5[SUP]s[/SUP]23°20'4Moon
14. Chitra6[SUP]s[/SUP]0°0'2Mars
7Tula14. Chitra6[SUP]s[/SUP]6°40'2Mars
15.Swati6[SUP]s[/SUP]20°0'4Rahu
16. Vishakha7[SUP]s[/SUP]0°0'3Jupiter
8Vrischika16. Vishakha7[SUP]s[/SUP]3°20'1Jupiter
17.Anuradha7[SUP]s[/SUP]16°40'4Saturn
18. Jyeshtha (kettai)8[SUP]s[/SUP]0°0'4Mercury
9Dhanu19. Moola8[SUP]s[/SUP]13°20'4Ketu
20. P Asadha (Pooradam)8[SUP]s[/SUP]26°40'4Venus
21. U Asadha(Uthiraadam)9[SUP]s[/SUP]0°0'1Sun
10Makara21. U Asadha9[SUP]s[/SUP]10°0'3Sun
22. Shravana(thiruvonam)9[SUP]s[/SUP]23°20'4Moon
23. Dhanishtha (Avittom)10[SUP]s[/SUP]0°0'2Mars
11Kumbha23. Dhanishtha10[SUP]s[/SUP]6°40'2Mars
24. Sata Bhishaj (Sadayam)10[SUP]s[/SUP]20°0'4Rahu
25. P Bhadrapada (Poororuttathi)11[SUP]s[/SUP]0°0'3Jupiter
12Meena25. P Bhadrapada11[SUP]s[/SUP]3°20'1Jupiter
26. U Bhadrapada (Uthirattathi)11[SUP]s[/SUP]16°40'4Saturn
27. Revati12[SUP]s[/SUP]0°0'4Mercury
A segment of the zodiac extending from 276°40'0" to 280°53'20" (equivalent to 6°4'0" to 10°53'20" in the Makara rashi, involving the last quarter of the twenty first (i.e. Uttarashadha) nakshatra and the beginning of the twenty-second (Sharavana), is sometimes considered as a separate nakshatra by the name Abhijit. This addition changes the number of nakshatras to twenty-eight. In such a situation, Abhijit is considered as the twent-second nakshatra, and the subsequent six nakshatras (from Sharavana onwards) assume changed numbers (from 23 to 28, instead of 22 to 27).

Last edited:

A word of caution: ​ Astrology is a subject highly criticized. Non believers find it easy to criticize for it principles not easily co related with proven results.
Astrology is a complex science, its every known principle has to be applied carefully, considering the numerous parameters and weighing the various pros and cons. Many of its secrets lie hidden in our ancient scriptures which are probably not understood even today. A very careful application of this science would prove their eternal applicability and give dazzling results, which the open minded scientists of today can only marvel at. The planetary disposition of major war in which India was involved was more or less similar during Mahabharata war, and later during in 1914 when the World War I started; in 1942 when World War II was in progress, and again in 1971 at the time of the Indo-Pak conflict. During all these occasions, India got involved in the mess quite intimately. In 1965 too, when India and Pakistan clashed, a similar but modified planetary disposition arose. Before heaping any criticism on astrology, it will be interesting to which when such a combination is likely to obtain in future, and in what form. All these points we would discuss in detail at some stage.

Last edited:
Quite surprised to learn about Abhijit Nakshtra. There may be plenty of people born on Abhijit, but never seen any one following this Nakshtra. Can you put more light on this? If such Nakshtra really exists, why people are not following it?

Quite surprised to learn about Abhijit Nakshtra. There may be plenty of people born on Abhijit, but never seen any one following this Nakshtra. Can you put more light on this? If such Nakshtra really exists, why people are not following it?

Hey Athim,

This Gugley of yours has put me in a bit of bother. In fact this point was neither much debated nor kind of scripts/literature I have seen about it. Any how let me explain what ever I know on this subject. Abhijeet in simple translation means victorious. The brightest star in Lyra constellation, Vega is called as Abhijeet in Sanskrit. As the name itself suggests it is for the elite club. Now a days we follow the normal 27 Nakshtras only in our daily panchangam. However if you closely watch people born in last leg of Uthradam or 1st leg of Thiruvonam you will find some of them do excellently well in their life. Since the time span of Abhijeet Nakshtra is very short so will be the people born during this time. If we gather information about them and analyze, we will find them as Abhijeetians although they may officially claim their Nakshtra as Uthradam or Thiruvonam. Please watch for it and if you come across (you will definitely find a handful of people like this.)any one like this, please let me know. I would also like to analyze such horoscopes. Apart from that Lord Krishna used to call himself as an Abhijeetian .
In Bhagavad Geeta, Krishna said that He was Shiva among Rudras; He was Arjuna among Pandava and He was Abhijit among Nakshatras. All these statements underline the importance of Abhijit.

Like Nakshtra, there is Abhijeet Muhurtham as well.Classical
vedic texts mention Abhijit as one of the most auspicious time for doing any auspicious activity excepting travelling to southern direction. Its deity is Lord Brahma. Some vedic texts also mention that 28 minutes before and 28 minutes after 12:00 clock (a.m. and p.m. both) is called as Abhijit Muhurtham . This Muhuratham is so auspicious as it is believed that you don't need to consider any other factor if you choose this one as your muhurtham. The interesting fact is that Lord Rama was born at 12:00 a.m. and Lord Krishna was born at 12:00 p.m. Incidentally you may now like to see the time of beginning of this very thread (post No. 1)

NB: In case any of our learned members have more information in this very subject may please share it here so that more clarity is brought in to this query of Athimber.

Last edited:

A word of caution: ​ Astrology is a subject highly criticized. Non believers find it easy to criticize for it principles not easily co related with proven results.
Astrology is a complex science, its every known principle has to be applied carefully, considering the numerous parameters and weighing the various pros and cons. Many of its secrets lie hidden in our ancient scriptures which are probably not understood even today. A very careful application of this science would prove their eternal applicability and give dazzling results, which the open minded scientists of today can only marvel at. The planetary disposition of major war in which India was involved was more or less similar during Mahabharata war, and later during in 1914 when the World War I started; in 1942 when World War II was in progress, and again in 1971 at the time of the Indo-Pak conflict. During all these occasions, India got involved in the mess quite intimately. In 1965 too, when India and Pakistan clashed, a similar but modified planetary disposition arose. Before heaping any criticism on astrology, it will be interesting to which when such a combination is likely to obtain in future, and in what form. All these points we would discuss in detail at some stage.
hi

i think ....non beleivers can keep away from topic/thread pls.....no argument here....ONLY JUST SHARING KNOWLEDGE....

hi ganesh sir,

a lay man can understand astrology..so please discuss to understand everyone....even i had MASTERS IN ASTROLOGY....

but still im layman....still im learning....

hi ganesh sir,

a lay man can understand astrology..so please discuss to understand everyone....even i had MASTERS IN ASTROLOGY....

but still im layman....still im learning....

Yes Sir, I think I am keeping it simple. Please be free to point out where ever there a scope for improvement. I would be very glad to correct myself. So far only I am posting. Thread will become more lively if people start putting in their views and suggestions.

Yes Sir, I think I am keeping it simple. Please be free to point out where ever there a scope for improvement. I would be very glad to correct myself. So far only I am posting. Thread will become more lively if people start putting in their views and suggestions.
hi sir,

please keep away from NON BELIEVERS/TREAD ATTACKERS.... i have some questions about LAGNAM?

how much importance of LAGANAM in a horoscope?.....why it is called lagnam....?..i think ..its called FIRST HOUSE?....

importance of first house....please try to explain in detail.....thanks in advance...

This may not be pertinent to this thread. I am a cynic. I wish people would not make life decisions on the basis of Astrology. It is good past time to read in comic section of newspapers. I am NON BELIEVERS But I am not a TREAD ATTACKERS. This thread is posted in GD section so people should be able to express their opinions.

Rudolf Smit loved astronomy as a child, and now he loves astrology… but he no longer believes it’s real. There was a time when he was a full-time consulting astrologer and widely admired astrology author. Founder of the Society of Practising Astrologers in the Netherlands and deeply passionate about a belief he found quite beautiful, Smit authored an astrology handbook and wrote popular articles for Dutch astrology publications like Earth & Cosmos and The Planets Speak. The planets failed to reveal the shock that was to come.
Though no longer a believer, Smit remained drawn to astrology, conducting investigations as editor of Correlation – Journal of Objective Research into Astrology. He is now retired from a career as editor and translator at a scientific and technological laboratory, and has created the website Astrology and Science as a research archive.
“[A]strology has undeniable appeal,” Smit writes, that “satisfies the longing… to feel part of the universe.” I hope he’s remembered his childhood love of astronomy, and discovered how to satisfy that longing in ways that fulfill his truly courageous demand for truth.
https://bogardiner.wordpress.com/2015/03/08/a-professional-astrologist-realizes-astrology-isnt-real/

Last edited:

Hey Athim,

This Gugley of yours has put me in a bit of bother. In fact this point was neither much debated nor kind of scripts/literature I have seen about it. Any how let me explain what ever I know on this subject. Abhijeet in simple translation means victorious. The brightest star in Lyra constellation, Vega is called as Abhijeet in Sanskrit. As the name itself suggests it is for the elite club. Now a days we follow the normal 27 Nakshtras only in our daily panchangam. However if you closely watch people born in last leg of Uthradam or 1st leg of Thiruvonam you will find some of them do excellently well in their life. Since the time span of Abhijeet Nakshtra is very short so will be the people born during this time. If we gather information about them and analyze, we will find them as Abhijeetians although they may officially claim their Nakshtra as Uthradam or Thiruvonam. Please watch for it and if you come across (you will definitely find a handful of people like this.)any one like this, please let me know. I would also like to analyze such horoscopes. Apart from that Lord Krishna used to call himself as an Abhijeetian .
In Bhagavad Geeta, Krishna said that He was Shiva among Rudras; He was Arjuna among Pandava and He was Abhijit among Nakshatras. All these statements underline the importance of Abhijit.

Like Nakshtra, there is Abhijeet Muhurtham as well.Classical
vedic texts mention Abhijit as one of the most auspicious time for doing any auspicious activity excepting travelling to southern direction. Its deity is Lord Brahma. Some vedic texts also mention that 28 minutes before and 28 minutes after 12:00 clock (a.m. and p.m. both) is called as Abhijit Muhurtham . This Muhuratham is so auspicious as it is believed that you don't need to consider any other factor if you choose this one as your muhurtham. The interesting fact is that Lord Rama was born at 12:00 a.m. and Lord Krishna was born at 12:00 p.m. Incidentally you may now like to see the time of beginning of this very thread (post No. 1)

NB: In case any of our learned members have more information in this very subject may please share it here so that more clarity is brought in to this query of Athimber.

Shri Ganesh,

I was born under Abhijit nakshatra. Just wanted to share the info.

I dont get it why Non Believers are asked to keep away from this thread.

I wont call myself a total believer of astrology and neither a total disbeliever but to a great extent I feel if I totally believe n astrology that means my faith in God is questionable cos if we totally believe in Mahima of God and have concept of surrender why bother about astrology? Just take everything happening in life as Takdir and move one accordingly.

Having saying that...I still do not mind reading anything related to astrology if I am regarding it as a science and just like any other science..it could be prone to error too and can NOT be considered 100% accurate cos science evolves as we discover.

Personally I have a question with regards to astrology..that is...what are the latest discovery in the field of astrology? Does it progress too and have new findings that prove old findings wrong and inaccurate or is it just a static field that does not evolve and has already reached its peak in application?

I feel every type of person in Forum should share their opinions and interests..there is no harm even for a Non Believer to pose questions as long its civil and non personal attack in nature.

Why do we need to fear a non believer or an opponent? Fear shows lack of knowledge and many try to cover it up by being "humble".

Its by not testing our depth of knowledge and depth of ignorance that leads to a close mind that can only adhere to superstition.

I find this thread very informative and I am pretty sure Ganesh Ji can handle any type of question.

Last edited:
hi ganesh sir,

i stop posting about my views in this THREAD....SORRY TO SAY... the reason.....NON BELIEVERS/TREAD ATTACKERS..

hi ganesh sir,

i stop posting about my views in this THREAD....SORRY TO SAY... the reason.....NON BELIEVERS/TREAD ATTACKERS..

Dear TBS Garu,

I wonder why you want to stop posting.

No one is going to attack you or disbelief you..in fact its you who has the Masters in Astrology but you prefer not to share your insights.

Most so called Non Believers here are civil enough not to personal attack a poster even though they might not agree with the post.

So I do hope you change your mind a participate cos the info you provide would be beneficial.

Do not run..by running people like Zakir Naik flourish cos no one to oppose him.

Shri Ganesh,

I was born under Abhijit nakshatra. Just wanted to share the info.

Hats off Sravana. You cannot give me a good news better than this. In fact I should have guessed it for your dare devil approach on experiments on Spiritualism (One of the major characteristics of Abhijitians are they are highly spiritual) that no one else than an Abhijitian could do it. Now in case you think alright, you may please share your horoscope for my research purpose. You can do it through PM. You may need to give me your date, time and place of birth at first .Please let me know.

Welcome all, there is no question of any one staying away from this thread. As rightly suggested by Prasad Sir, this thread is for General Discussion and any one and every one who want to post their views are welcome here. In fact I find constructive criticism is beneficial for growth and development of any ideology. If we find a stone on our way it is a normal tendency to kick it or pick it and throw it away. If the same stone is decorated with a pinch of turmeric, vermilion and a couple of garlands, even the hard core atheist would hesitate to do that, not because he would start believing God exists, but because of the respect for others who's faith is associated with that. So TBSs Sir, my humble request is please don't stay away from this thread. This thread has now slowly started showing some life. Let's us try & give people who challenge our views a convincing reply which I am sure we would be able to do.

Dear Prasad Sir, & Ms. Renuka, thank you for your views on this post and I would like to address any query from you as and when it comes. What ever is being posted here are based upon the age old ancient Hindu Scriptures and almost all of them are proofs themselves. Only thing is we need proper explanation to understand them.

Science of astrology is simply based on very existence of Earth, Sun, Moon and other planets & celestial objects in the universe. Science has already proved that they exists and put influence on one another by virtue of their position in the milky way. It is scientifically proven that Moon has a strong influence on tides developed in water bodies on earth. We don't challenge the theory that Sun rises and sets every day. Astology simply believes that the travel path of Sun is called RASI CHAKRA and its entire 360 degree is divided in to 12 parts called Zodiac Signs all other planets and constellations enter this path on their turn. If their presence in the celestial world can put influence on earth it has to be studied how when and why these influences are caused and what impact it has on an event happening on earth. I think t no one could object such a study is being conducted and results published. This was being done by our age old saints and results published is called as Jyotish Shastra. To believe it or not is the convenience of the individual. No one can force any body to believe or disbelieve these Shastra.

So, once again every one, thanks for you valuable suggestions. Please do post more, I am here to share whatever little knowledge I have on Vedic Astrology. You can put your queries, I will try to solve them as far as I can.

Last edited:
hi

is thiruvonam nakshatram is ABHIJIT?.....the first pada of thiruvonam?,,,,,in makara raasi?....

Please check the exact time of birth and check the position of moon. If the moon is between 6°4'0" to 10°53'20" on Makara Rasi, it is Abhijit. You can verify this if you put the details on any online software on astrology.

Please check the exact time of birth and check the position of moon. If the moon is between 6°4'0" to 10°53'20" on Makara Rasi, it is Abhijit. You can verify this if you put the details on any online software on astrology.
hi

its mine.....im thiruvonam...in makara rasi...

Well today seems to be a lucky day for me. Two abhjitians in this very forum. But guys, Abhijit has some strong special characteristics. Simply being born that specific degree in the zodiac won't make you a true abhijitian. Please see how many of the characteristics matches yours. The following are the major characteristics.

Appearance of people of Abhijit nakshatra

The natives of Abhijit Nakshatra are perceived to be bestowed with well formed stature of body in a medium heighten personality along with enough strength and potency in the appearance. These people carry a graceful and brilliant persona with much dominance and appealing looks.

Attitude and life path of natives of Abhijit nakshatra

The people of Abhijit Nakshatra are perceived to be affectionate souls who would be kind at heart and will carry softness in their words as they are truly polite and humanitarian beings. These natives would develop true relations around and so on they would be liked by many people for the way they are.

The Natives of Abhijit Nakshatra are the people of positive attitude as they will carry immense optimism throughout their walk and won't let the hurdles affect their vision. They are ambitious souls who would keep walking with their hard work and determination and so on will keep growing towards high mounts of respect and affluence.

They are learned and intellectual who could be seen being involved in many studies in lurk. In the end, they are true spiritual beings.
Professional front

The people of Abhijit Nakshatra are perceived to be bestowed with higher place upon land as they would carry much fame along with respect besides which they receive good wealth and altogether they could be said to rule over the masses upon land. These individuals would work at higher profiles of authority and dominance.

The natives of Abhijit Nakshatra are endowed with good intellect and strength of mind besides which their strong optimism further develops their path towards acknowledgment and recognition. They could also be involved in some deep studies.s of Abhijitians. check it for yourself.

Family portrait

The people of Abhijit arena are perceived to get married around at 23yrs of age while it also has been predicted that these natives might have more than one wife and would have many children but the predicament is that they might loose one or two children at the their twenties. These natives would confront some severe financial problems till his of 27yrs of age but there won't be any in a very serious appearance. The children of Abhijit natives are perceived to attain good place upon land. These individuals would prefer to live with their eldest son.

Health

Those begotten from Abhijit Nakshatra are born with many health hurdles which could emerge as really harsh at times as in further articulation, they would face a very bad phase of health during their childhood and have the risk of life at the ages of 19yrs and 20yrs while if they would cover it safely then their lives would improve and health problems will also reduce afterwards. The major health problems would include jaundice and pile.

(courtesy: http://www.indianastrologyhoroscope.com/AbhijitNakshatra.html )

We don't challenge the theory that Sun rises and sets every day.

Technically the sun does not rise or set...Earth goes around its axis and we get night and day..and earth goes around the sun too..so its a double spin we are being taken for!LOL

Anyway I am of the Ardra Nakshatram...would be interested to share my horoscope with you for research tru PM.

Dear Shri Ganesh,

Here is another piece of info you may use about my birthday:

It was a somavati mauni amavasya.

Dear Shri Ganesh,

I am told that one's spirituality can be known from one's vimamsa divisional chart. Can you interpret my vimsamsa chart?

Latest ads

Back