• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

India's Olympic feat

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is a great feeling that India has won 6 Olympic medals in the London Summer Olympics 2012

Doubling the medal tally from the 2008 Beijing Summer olympics is a great feat and personally I felt elated after the success of Sushil Kumar & Yogeshwar Dutt in the Wrestling championship

The games are a test of endurance...It is a fruit of personal hardship...

India's has sparkled in individual events...Nurturing the players (by both the State & private bodies) will help us to build on this win

Frankly speaking I feel India should be getting much more medals taking into the account the population.

The question is "why are there not enough athletes in India?"

Frankly speaking I feel India should be getting much more medals taking into the account the population........
Yes, Renu! I have seen very efficient people in Indian circus, who can be trained as first class gymnasts. :high5:

The politics in India should be the reason for our failure. :tsk:

Frankly speaking I feel India should be getting much more medals taking into the account the population.

There was an interview with Sri Ajay Makhen, the Sports Minister in one of the channels.

What he said made a lot of sense. He linked the performance in sports to Human Development Index. India is 129th or so in the rank of HDI, whereas in the Olympics India is ranked 56th world wide. So performance can be taken as more than satisfactory.

There was an interview with Sri Ajay Makhen, the Sports Minister in one of the channels.

What he said made a lot of sense. He linked the performance in sports to Human Development Index. India is 129th or so in the rank of HDI, whereas in the Olympics India is ranked 56th world wide. So performance can be taken as more than satisfactory.

London: A group of Olympic athletes from around the world urged international leaders to tackle child malnutrition rates in poor countries.

Olympians including Ethiopian runner Tirunesh Dibaba and British long jumper Greg Rutherford, both gold medal winners at the London Games, were among athletes who wrote an open letter to Prime Minister David Cameron ahead of a so-called "hunger summit" at the leader`s residence in No.10 Downing Street.

Sunday’s summit brought together leaders from Brazil, Kenya, Bangladesh, India and Ireland. Also invited were Ethiopian distance runner Haile Gebrselassie, Brazilian football star Pele and newly-crowned double Olympic Champion Mo Farah.

Gebrselassie noted that Ethiopia had won three gold medals in London, saying "just imagine what my country could have achieved if half of our children weren`t suffering from malnutrition."

I guess Ajay Mahken did not read what Gebrselassie said(highlighted above).

So there is no excuse for India not bringing back any Gold medals.
Many other poorer countries brought back Gold medals.
http://zeenews.india.com/sports/lon...etes-back-campaign-against-hunger_747439.html

How China climb the Medal tally at Olympics ?
The Athletes are Scouted and Trained Right at age 3 and pictures tell they are not a pleasant training usually…..

few of the photographs uploaded here shows the training part. Such things are unheard of here, and people would not like to see their children suffer so much under the training...

train1.JPG
train1.JPGtrain2.JPG
train8.JPGtrain9.JPG
train5.JPG

I wish someday soon (like perhaps Rio) India will be at the top 10 in the medals table. Maybe sporting is not taken as seriously as they do in China. I'm still in awe/shock at China. They were leading, but USA took over. Now just wait and see China will get its back in Rio. They must be absolutely fuming now that they came second. They want only one spot : The top spot!

In a few other countries, children are SOLD to private Olympic trainers!
They are not sent to schools but trained only to get medals in the Olympics. :ballchain: . . :first:

........ Now just wait and see China will get its back in Rio. They must be absolutely fuming now that they came second. ......
Dear Amala,
This is because many new games were introduced, which only the rich could afford! :popcorn:

I also agree with Ms.Amala, and Ms.RR. There was one documentary in BBC some time back called "number one". The training and efforts put in by the chinese in aiming for the number one was so vivdly brought out. Two contrasting nations are in the number one & two. One where everything is controlled by the govt including the sportsperson. Training from age three as mentioned in my post thru photos. And the other one totally free left to the individual to set out his aim and achieve it!! My vote goes to the Americans. how come they excel so much in sports is a wonder!! One of my friend remarked that in United states every college provided scholarships for any one excelling in sports and instead of paying huge fees every ine excel in sports!! Done know how far this is true but, what ever they are the champions of champions!!

I also agree with Ms.Amala, and Ms.RR. There was one documentary in BBC some time back called "number one". The training and efforts put in by the chinese in aiming for the number one was so vivdly brought out. Two contrasting nations are in the number one & two. One where everything is controlled by the govt including the sportsperson. Training from age three as mentioned in my post thru photos. And the other one totally free left to the individual to set out his aim and achieve it!! My vote goes to the Americans. how come they excel so much in sports is a wonder!! One of my friend remarked that in United states every college provided scholarships for any one excelling in sports and instead of paying huge fees every ine excel in sports!! Done know how far this is true but, what ever they are the champions of champions!!

Yes true..there is a sports scholarship and the future of sportsmen is secure and they do not lose out on studies too.

I think as a nation we hardly ever used to focus on sports other than Cricket & to some extent hockey...

Come 2008 Olympics and when we won 3 medals, we started to look at other disciplines such as wrestling, Boxing and air rifle shoting

After tasting success in these individual events, India made a sincere effort to make systematc efforts in various disciplines that included Badminton, archery etc

One thing to note is that we seem to be good at individual events

If we try hard and plan well we can aspire to double this to 12 or more in 2016 ...Let us leverage the successes and not carp on the past failures

We have caught the attention on youngsters who are willing to risk their career in sports

With sponsorships and heavy prize money this profession is luring the really talented

Stephen Covey who was the author of 7 Habits of Effective people says that the first trait that we need to inculcate is " Sharpening the saw" ...This actually refer to preserving and enhancing the greatest asset you have--you. It means having a balanced program for self-renewal in the four areas of your life: physical, social/emotional, mental, and spiritual.

With this you can create growth and make the changes in your life...It is a tool for self improvement ...A blunt saw cannot cut a tree despite putting the best effort and hard work (long hours)...But a sharpened saw can help you achieve the goal in the shortest possible time frame.

Let us now sharpen the saw for the 2016 Summer Olympics from today

I would like to counter this argument.
PIO kids in America get the the same privilege as other Americans. They all participate in different sports, but never shine to be in the top. So it is not nutrition, nor training alone is enough. There has to be some change in the gene, and attitude.

I agree that Chinese measure may be extreme, and not suitable for India. But we can learn from South Korea, and Jamaica.
My point about genetic change is based on the fact that entire subcontinent countries perform badly.

Congratulation to the athletes who participated in the olympics, they are all winners.

Last edited:
Dear Mr.Prasad,

Do accept that this may be because of Gene and attitude. other wise how do we attribute the success of PIO kids in the spellbee contests year after year contesting against children of different origins. We( indians) are brainy type and it si in our gene. BTW in the Amercan contingent also most of them are balck and they must have come to states as slaves generations back. So it is africans only who have one more gold!!!
Cheers.

I would say India did well at this olympics given its record at the olympics. We are improving and we need to carry on this trend. If bronzes and silvers can turn into golds and silvers we would be somewhere in the top 20-25. So that much of extra effort is needed and that is possible even at the next olympics.

We cannot undermine the achievement of our sportsmen who participated in Oly 2012 and won or did not win medals. These are their individual achievements. Nobody can claim credit for that except of course the coaches. Considering the population the medals tally ridicules our nation. For all ills and every ill our government is to be blamed. Our selfish and greedy politicians, so-called sport officials and our general environment are to be blamed. Do you need to change an environment minister, education minister (not the present bum), sports and welfare minister, science and technology minister, if the powers-that-be care about their functions. Why they select only corrupt persons even in these ministries. Highest criticisms will still be short of describing our actual government. In my days sports were there but an enthusiast student then would be condemned if he overplayed it. I doubt the situation has vastly changed. Like scientific temper, we should develop sports temper. Provide facilities/grounds for development of sports. Take Mumbai City, concrete monsters have mushroomed every where and population has multiplied, but we are satisfied with the same old grounds which the Britishers have left for us. Any other available grounds were gobbled by builders and politicians. If you see their property ads, you will feel that they are from heavens. The least is said about them it is better. If we get REALLY educated politicians, we will soon see a vast change in the image of this country.

Last edited:
India is a poor country...There is a good opportunity for India in boxing, weight lifting and wrestling...It is away from the cities, from the urban centres...It is the villages which can nurture these sports...The rich folks shun these sports as they do not want to go undergo gruelling physical exercise required for success...We need to tap the villages for nurturing talent

There is another statistics put by our Sports Minister Ajay Maken which made lot of sense...He said that 76% of medals are in athletics, aquatics and cycling...So we need to excel in one of these also

There is no excuse of any sorts.

I was just reading that Kenyans are going to investigate the reason for their poor performance in track events.

Kenyans finished 28th overall with with 2 gold,4 silver and 5 bronze medals and they are NOT HAPPY about it!

Previously in Beijing 2008 they ranked 13th with 6 golds, 4 silver and 4 bronze.

Kenya is poor too and they are not too proud of what they achieved in the 2012 Olympics.
They wanted more and know they are capable of more.

Wake up India!

Dear Amala,
This is because many new games were introduced, which only the rich could afford! :popcorn:
hi RR madam,
we give more importance to cricket....u can see the medal tally....those top gold winners are non cricket countries.....

our country spoiled by politicians and cricket too....its sorry to say.....we never give importance like Micheal Phelps...

india can win top gold medal only in corruption.....

india can win top gold medal only in corruption.....

Dear TBS ji,

I can't stop laughing reading what you wrote.

Corruption is rampant in almost all 3rd world countries and there are no exceptions but the difference is that other corrupt countries still want to win some medals in the Olympics.

India is a poor country...There is a good opportunity for India in boxing, weight lifting and wrestling...It is away from the cities, from the urban centres...It is the villages which can nurture these sports...The rich folks shun these sports as they do not want to go undergo gruelling physical exercise required for success...We need to tap the villages for nurturing talent

There is another statistics put by our Sports Minister Ajay Maken which made lot of sense...He said that 76% of medals are in athletics, aquatics and cycling...So we need to excel in one of these also
hi
sorry to say....jamaica is a poor country too.....see jamaicans spirit in sports/olympics....world's fastest man ...we have many excuses.....only cricket

is important in india.....becoz money spinning sport.....even i can say that....our country is failed in sports.......becoz of

cine stars......cricket stars....political masters......even cine stars interested only in cricket....even they had cricket match....

Last edited:
hi
here in USA....even they are top in tally....even nobody celebrating as we do in for cinema stars....the spirit of america is

great in world....no compelsons.....i heard that in india....saina nehal's reception in hyd more than 7 lakhs....just reception....ppl

still say india is poor country....the Team USA got maximum medals in the world...but here everything is very cool....even

Micheal philps belong to my state in USA....he is an Olympic world champion...a single man army...but nobody cares...

everything is normal business here....

Last edited:
hi
here u know....NASA's victory over curiosity....the landing in Mars is more important than Olympic winning...this is really true

spirit of Great Nation on earth....

hi
we spent crores of rupees for cricket.....not a single sponsor for athletics....its sad story of sports in india....only GOD can protect

indian sports...LOL

Actually, we can very well excel in weight lifting, with proper training because, children who go to the primary schools

carry at least seven to eight kg of books + their lunch bag, to school!! :ballchain:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back