• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Indian Skin Tone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Freido Pinto, the star of Slumdog.., is reported to have said that Indians are obsessed with fair skin. She is now an international star and has a point in expressing openly what many people would love to keep it under their skin.
Half of Indians and again a half of Tamilians are in the West and the US to have their skin tone changed to fairer. Readers do not jump to conclusions that I undermine their qualities or eligibilities to be in there. But in most of them the underlying motive could be what Pinto has frankly admitted. I do not know whether she herself is swarthy or fair-skinned but that is beside the point. Whether in sports or in the Hollywood films, the ‘blacks’ (sic) are entertaining and watchable than the whites. By the way are Indians racists? I look forward to an honest response from our community.
[FONT=&quot]I would like to recall the words of Dr S. Radhakrishnan (jocularly uttered) that God baked bread for humanity; part was over baked, part under baked and the rest even baked.[/FONT]

Freido Pinto, the star of Slumdog.., is reported to have said that Indians are obsessed with fair skin. She is now an international star and has a point in expressing openly what many people would love to keep it under their skin.
Half of Indians and again a half of Tamilians are in the West and the US to have their skin tone changed to fairer. Readers do not jump to conclusions that I undermine their qualities or eligibilities to be in there. But in most of them the underlying motive could be what Pinto has frankly admitted. I do not know whether she herself is swarthy or fair-skinned but that is beside the point. Whether in sports or in the Hollywood films, the ‘blacks’ (sic) are entertaining and watchable than the whites. By the way are Indians racists? I look forward to an honest response from our community.
I would like to recall the words of Dr S. Radhakrishnan (jocularly uttered) that God baked bread for humanity; part was over baked, part under baked and the rest even baked.

Thats just human nature..Believe me more than Indians, Chinese and Japanese are most obsessed with fair skin and they are they highest users of whitening agents despite the fact they can have skin from light yellow to white but they want to be Porcelain Dolls at any cost.

Those who are white skinned want to be Tan and darken themselves under the sun.
Those who are dark skinned want to be fair at any cost.
Those with curly hair want straight hair.
Those with straight hair want curly hair.
Those who are short want to be tall.
Those who are too tall wish they were little shorter.
Those with dark eyes want to have light eyes.
Those who are single wish they were married,
Those who are married wish they were single.
Those who have long lifes wish they die fast.
Those who are dying wish they live long..hey the list can go on and on..

No matter what or how we look like when we die we decompose the same.
So just be happy with what we are whether we are able or disabled as long we are happy... all of us are beautiful.

Last edited:
Thats just human nature..Believe me more than Indians, Chinese and Japanese are most obsessed with fair skin and they are they highest users of whitening agents despite the fact they can have skin from light yellow to white but they want to be Porcelain Dolls at any cost.

So just be happy with what we are whether we are able or disabled as long we are happy... all of us are beautiful.

Your words remind me of this. I read it somewhere long back before I got married:

Marriage is like a beseiged fort. Those who are outside want to get in by all means. Those who are in want to get out - again by whatever means.

Yes I am of the opinion that alot of Indians are racist to their own kind, especially the so called fair skinned ones from the North. Perhaps its also due to ignorance. Fair/white skin is always highly desirable in a female. Look at all the matrimonials ads. Its hilarious when you see educated men especially those who look dark putting fair skin as a must for their brides. I'm so tempted to go, "look at the mirror you neanderthal!"

Just see how popular "fairever", "fair and lovely" and "emami" in India and amongst the NRI/PIOs abroad. To be fair as Rekka said this is an Asian and Black (African/afro-caribbean) problem too. The Black community here have their own lotions and potions to put on their skin. Many of these are very dangerous for the skin containing hydroquinone. In Malaysia I still remember, my Chinese neighbour would literally cover herself with a long sleeved shirt, hat, sunglasses all just to go out during midday to bring in the washing!. Many Chinese women also wear long gloves when they drive back home so as to not get their hands tanned!! Height of hilarity

When will Indians of all hues, especially the fairer ones realise that skin colour don't maketh the (wo)man, I wonder.

Now if you'll excuse me I need to go slather my Fair and lovely :D

Last edited:
dear amala,

i have a problem when someone talks of indian skin colour.

my own family we have skin tones, from mediterranean fair to dark as charcoal, with various hues inbetween.

is there a unsaid line of discrimination between the various skin tones? i would say 'yes', though it is seldom mentioned. dark candidates are shunned on marriage proposal, irrespective of their achievements - an no explanations given. i think we do a fair bit of levelling among ourselves, which is sad, as we miss out on good friendships or relations, due to our small mindedness.

we went a couple of days ago to the local temple for an archanai. me, mrs K and our daughter. the young lass and self, got wished in tamil, தீர்க்காயுசாக இருக்கணம் - or something like that. when he came to mrs K, he wished her in english, 'god bless you my dear'. my daughter cracked up :) :) and mrs K? not sure if she was annoyed or amused?

without comments, we left the altar, back to our car, to relive this incident, and wonder about it. :)

Last edited:
Anyway things are changing these days..we no longer see very fair heroines even in Bollywood.
We have Tan heroines like Bipasha Basu,Deepika Padukone.
In the modelling scene we have Diya Abraham who is dark skinned.
There was 1 song in the Inspirational Songs post that had a video of Diya Abraham(who was Miss International Runner up 1997)

I will put the video of her here for everyone to see how good she looks.

‪aise na mujhe tum dekho - victory mix (vikas bhalla)‬‏ - YouTube

Thank you for a good response.

Some countries in Africa, Uganda of Amin, Sudan and the like once called us racists. There are whites in the US, UK and Australia who have racist tendencies. Nevertheless கருப்புத்தான் எனக்கு பிடிச்ச கலரு....

Everything good about the following, except this one:

I can't imagine Amitabh Bachchan thinking: My, I wish I were shorter. Height has always been used as a proxy for a dominant male.

Of course Indians are racist. I have heard Punjabi women say: "Yeh south key log bahut kaale hote hain, na?"

Translation: These South Indians are usually quite dark, aren't they?

Of course that doesn't mean South Indians themselves aren't racist .... How else are the Mumbai models dominating Kollywood?

You guys want to hear a story of heights of color prefrence!!

This story was related by a very senior doctor once.Way back when he was working in the 1960's.
He said two women had given birth..both Indians.
The fair skinned woman had given birth to a fair skinned baby and the dark skinned woman had given birth to a dark skinned baby.

Then when the fair skinned woman was asleep the dark skinned womans husband exchanged the babies and was trying to take the fair baby out of the ward when the fair baby's dad walked in and a big fight took place.

Then the dark skinned couple admitted that they were trying to take the fair baby cos they were disappointed that all their children have been dark skinned so far and wanted a fair baby.

Can anyone imagine this???

Yes, I can imagine this! I have heard (with my own ears) my father-in-law say to his son, when he was looking for a marriage alliance. "After all our position is not perfect you know, your color isn't too good." The younger man happened to be much darker than his father.

You guys want to hear a story of heights of color prefrence!!

This story was related by a very senior doctor once.Way back when he was working in the 1960's.
He said two women had given birth..both Indians.
The fair skinned woman had given birth to a fair skinned baby and the dark skinned woman had given birth to a dark skinned baby.

Then when the fair skinned woman was asleep the dark skinned womans husband exchanged the babies and was trying to take the fair baby out of the ward when the fair baby's dad walked in and a big fight took place.

Then the dark skinned couple admitted that they were trying to take the fair baby cos they were disappointed that all their children have been dark skinned so far and wanted a fair baby.

Can anyone imagine this???

Of course Indians are racist. I have heard Punjabi women say: "Yeh south key log bahut kaale hote hain, na?"

Of course that doesn't mean South Indians themselves aren't racist .... How else are the Mumbai models dominating Kollywood?

I have heared even some guy saying that Aish and Madhuri are not beautiful sans make up and only Vidya Balan is beautiful. Can you imagine yaar?
He is such a "interstate racist"?
He doesnt like a Tulu Babe and a Marathi Babe!!!

Everything good about the following, except this one:

I can't imagine Amitabh Bachchan thinking: My, I wish I were shorter. Height has always been used as a proxy for a dominant male.

That line was mainly for girls..cos some girls who are really tall find it hard to get guys.
Well for guys..hmmmm I think they are happier longer..sorry I mean taller.

I have heared even some guy saying that Aish and Madhuri are not beautiful sans make up and only Vidya Balan is beautiful. Can you imagine yaar?
He is such a "interstate racist"?
He doesnt like a Tulu Babe and a Marathi Babe!!!

RK you have started your rants again. Expressing an opinion about somebody's looks is not racism. If so, then you are also equally guilty of it.

Try not to live in a glass house if you want to throw stones.

RK you have started your rants again. Expressing an opinion about somebody's looks is not racism. If so, then you are also equally guilty of it.

Try not to live in a glass house if you want to throw stones.

Even though your post is not directed to me cos RK can be anyone...

Your name was not mentioned in the post..So on technical grounds you lose your case dear boy..:dance:

Dear Biswa,

Nowdays there are bullet proof glass houses so why throw stones when I can shoot!!!
Hey cool yaar..I am sure you know I am just teasing you..

Vidya Balan as passably pretty and is overrated. Aish is terribly overrated. Madhuri a little overrated.

Real talent/beauty? Look at Sridevi. Acting from a young age. Only people who have seen her early Tamil films (and perhaps Telugu ones) can understand what I'm talking about :).

Incidentally why these Tamilians actress go for and marry Punjabi men? Sridevi, HemaJi, Vyjayanthimala and Waheeda Rehman?

If they use the word "South" its not half as bad as one most racist word in my book equivalent to ni**er, which many in the North tend to use. Mad**si. Totally disgusting and always makes me want to puke.

Vidya Balan as passably pretty and is overrated. Aish is terribly overrated. Madhuri a little overrated.

Real talent/beauty? Look at Sridevi. Acting from a young age. Only people who have seen her early Tamil films (and perhaps Telugu ones) can understand what I'm talking about :).

Incidentally why these Tamilians actress go for and marry Punjabi men? Sridevi, HemaJi, Vyjayanthimala and Waheeda Rehman?

I predict the next south heroine marrying a northern indian will be Deepika Padukone.
Punjabi guys tend to make a quick chase for what looks good while most other guys will be debating "should I or should I not?".

Anyone see the attraction in that Freida Pinto? I think in the West they feel shes sooo beautiful, always going on about her. But she seems like avery average, mongoloid (asiatic) looking Indian girl.

Anyone see the attraction in that Freida Pinto? I think in the West they feel shes sooo beautiful, always going on about her. But she seems like avery average, mongoloid (asiatic) looking Indian girl.

Yes you are right..she is just very average but you know western man like anything that doesnt look like them.
BTW Hollywood is not really into any anyone from India or Asia, just 1 or 2 movies at off they go back to their countries.

Last edited:
Hey but Chinese ladies have more success in Hollywood, Zhang Zhi Yi, Lucy Liu, Bai Ling etc theres more I forget now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back