• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

India testfires ICBM AGNI V

Status
Not open for further replies.
WHEELER ISLAND (ODISHA): Thursday was a red-letter day for India. With the maiden test-firing of 5000-km range Agni-V missile from the Wheeler Island off the Odisha coast, the country joined the elite club of six nations including US, UK, China, France and Russia having intercontinental ballistic missile capabilities.

The indigenously built missile blasted off from the launching complex-IV of the Integrated Test Range (ITR) from a mobile launcher at about 8.07 am and went off majestically leaving behind huge white and yellow smokes. The test was put off on Wednesday due to bad weather.

Claiming the test a ‘spectacular success’, DRDO chief and Scientific Advisor to Minister of Defence V K Saraswat told ‘The New Indian Express’ that all the mission parameters had been fully met and the missile covered the entire flight path as expected.“The technologies have been proven and the entire performance vehicle demonstrated. The missile’s first phase got separated after 100 seconds followed by second and third stages. The stage separations were clean and precise. The injection parameters, which include velocity, altitude and attitude of the missile, were also validated. The missile attained a vertical height of 600 km before following the real time ballistic trajectory and hit the pre-designated target in Indian Ocean as coordinated,” he said.

Sources said the scheduled test was postponed on Wednesday evening due to heavy lightning and the missile was made vertical for the test at about 6.30 on Thursday. The surface-to-surface canister-launched missile, which can carry a payload of 1 tonne is 17 meter long, 2 meter wide and weighs 50 tonnes. Though the missile is 17-meter tall, sources said it has nearly 7-km wiring and along with the payload its second and third stage have been built with carbon reinforce composite materials which withstood a temperature of over 5000 degree Celsius during the re-entry phase.

Programme director of Agni missiles and Chief Controller (Missiles and Strategic Systems) Avinash Chander said the payload sustained the high temperature as expected and continued to explode as coordinated. “It proved all parameters in the user deliverable mode. It is a marvelous achievement for us and I am proud of my team. The missile will be inducted into the armed forces after a few more developmental trials,” he informed.Chander who is also the mission director of Agni-V said the DRDO was forced to put off the test on Wednesday as the entire mission team was trying to get full data throughout the flight path and due to bad weather condition and heavy lightning it could not have been possible.

The test of Agni-V is significant in India’s defence point of view as it can reach all most all cities in China, which has posed a major threat for the country. Except America, the missile, which is later to be developed for a 6000-km strike range, can also hit the target anywhere in Asia, Africa and Europe. What makes the missile more effective is that it can Multiple Independently Targetable Re-entry Vehicles (MITRV) capable of delivering multiple warheads at different targets at long distances. The missile took nearly 15 minutes to reach its target area in Indian Ocean. Saraswat said India is now a missile power and we are proud of our scientists and technical staffs who made the system perfect. “It is a landmark achievement. We all are highly excited for the successful launch of this long range missile,” he added.

Agni-V will give India the technological knowhow to launch many nuclear warheads using the same missile and it can be configured to launch small satellites. The missile has the capability to shoot down enemy satellites in orbits.“We had a rare achievement as from the drawing board to the launch pad, it took nearly three years, the fasted period for any long range missile programme in the world, to achieve this success,” Chander added. Prior to the test a Notice To Airmen (Notam) was issued to coordinate the flight operations throughout the expected flight path of the missile.

Hundreds of scientists and technologists including the armed forces officials witnessed the test launch from the Wheeler Island. Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and Defence Minister A K Antony have congratulated the DRDO scientists for the immaculate success of the Agni-V and making the nation proud.

Agni V: India demonstrates ICBM capability | Agni-V | | The New Indian Express

:clap2::clap2:

hello mr vembu ,its very nice to go through this thread much intersting & makes us to feel happy &proud .its pretty good that you have posted this in TAMIL BRAHMINS. 3cheers

This missile (no doubt a welcome scientific advance) has been portrayed in the Indian media as being capable of hitting Beijing and Shanghai.

Does India seriously think that it is a military rival of China? If so, why?

I am proud of the achievement, in spite of the corruptions.
I do not think India is posturing in an agressive manner. It is for world recognition.

I am sorry, I may not go with the view of majority in this regard. Perhaps I am too old to understand over the success of a scientific achievement for the destruction of humanity. To hasten up death and destruction is not an achievement. We have seen the untold misery and death when Atom bombs were dropped on Hiroshima and Nagasaki at the end of World war II. There are many economically advanced Countries in the world which do not posses weapons of mass destruction. I wonder why we have not thought of utilising the huge amounts spent in advancement of destructive science, to wipe out some part of misery of millions of unfortunate citizens of our own Nation living in slums like Dharavi in Mumbai. At one end we have people worried about the welfare of animals in streets,at the same time lauding the success of Missile programs to send nuclear devises 5000 Kms away to destroy innocent people at the cost of Rs.5,000/= Crores of precious money.

Regards,
Brahmanyan,
Bangalore.

Last edited:
Dear Brahnmanyan,

You are overlooking the deterrent value that these weapons bring to a State.

Why do you think countries around the world indulge in massive display of arsenals during independence day celebrations, for example?

A display of majesty and might is necessary for any state to warn its enemy againsy any misadventures.

The fact is India is not doing it enough. That's why we could not exercise any pressure over even miniscule states such as Sri lanka.

I am not advocating that we launch Agni V and kill innocent people of other countries. We just have to show it exists to protect innocent people of our own country!

You mentioned about several economically advanced countries not possesing such arsenals. But most of these countries have the support of one or two big countries. This support came into being because of many reasons - geographical, cultural, religious, race etc.

We do not have that privelege. We are on our own!

The technical and tactical know how is on show. Secondly this can also be used in marketing India an space technology. The some of the other countries can not participate (japan and Germany). Nothing wrong in promoting the country. I agree we can use the money to alleviate the poverty may be for one day (they will run out of it).

GUD MORNING BRAHMANYAN SIR, TO YOUR POSTno6, ITS STATED THAT YOU ARE TOO KIND HEARTED, AND YOU THINK OF HUMANITY AND HUMAN CONCERN, THATS TOO GOOD AND DEPLETING NOWADAYS .SIR BUT THEN STILL TO MPOV ITS BETTER WE INDAI GET ADVANCE IN SCIENTIFIC FIELDS.NEED NOT TO IMPLY ,IF SO ITS ONLY ON REQUIRED & CRUCIAL CONDITIONS ONLY.(I HOPE U REMEMBER THE INDIAN ARMY SECRETS REVELED ,THE POOR STATUS OF OUR NATION & ITS MAINTANANCE) SO GETTING PREPARED STATE IS MUCH BETTER THAN TO JUST STAND STILL ,I FEEL SO.(I HOPE I DNT DISTURB YOUR FEELINGS)

GUD MORNING BRAHMANYAN SIR, TO YOUR POSTno6, ITS STATED THAT YOU ARE TOO KIND HEARTED, AND YOU THINK OF HUMANITY AND HUMAN CONCERN, THATS TOO GOOD AND DEPLETING NOWADAYS .SIR BUT THEN STILL TO MPOV ITS BETTER WE INDAI GET ADVANCE IN SCIENTIFIC FIELDS.NEED NOT TO IMPLY ,IF SO ITS ONLY ON REQUIRED & CRUCIAL CONDITIONS ONLY.(I HOPE U REMEMBER THE INDIAN ARMY SECRETS REVELED ,THE POOR STATUS OF OUR NATION & ITS MAINTANANCE) SO GETTING PREPARED STATE IS MUCH BETTER THAN TO JUST STAND STILL ,I FEEL SO.(I HOPE I DNT DISTURB YOUR FEELINGS)

Dear Doctor,

Good morning,

As one who had traveled the path of life for eight decades, I have seen life in its best and worst, my feelings do not get disturbed easily by words. I respect your views though I differ in mine. As a matter of principle I do not enter into arguments on subjects where I have strong views. I am against war. Life in any form is precious. I for one believe the purpose of life is to help others to build their lives, not to destroy. I don't believe that building up weapons of mass destruction is just of "sabre rattling". A destructive nuclear devise will not differentiate good and bad, it will just annihilate entire population of innocent men, women and children for no fault of theirs. Let us just put our selves in that situation and think, we will understand the magnitude of the problem. Scientific advancement should be aimed at helping humanity to live comfortably, not in the line of finding ways to kill other.

"An eye for eye will make the whole world blind"
-Gandhiji-

Best wishes,
Brahmanyan,
Bangalore.

Last edited:
Mr. Brahmanyanji,
I beg to differ from your POV.
Is it better to be destroyed by your enemy, than be ready to fight back?
When you carry a big stick, your enemy will think twice before attacking you.
They also are prone to listen to you, when they see your determination.
There is no room for cowards. If you are doormat people will wipe their feet on you.
I am against aggressive war, but a defensive war has to be fought.
Even Krishna advised Arjuna to fight a just war.

The Agni V achievement is a credit to those who are behind this from conception to delivery. It is first a deterrent and then a weapon. India has millennium old tradition. Moreover the capability gives you strength to talk to others as equals. Others say it can target places in China, but China said it can target places in Europe. Like young children speak pyrotechnics about Diwali time. However, குரங்கு கையிலே கிடச்ச பூமாலை மாதிரி ஆகிவிடக்கூடும் சிலர் கையில் கிடைத்தால். People wonder whether America was sane before Hiroshima/Nagasaaki or after that.

I am proud of the achievement, in spite of the corruptions.
I do not think India is posturing in an agressive manner. It is for world recognition.

I too am proud of the scientific achievement. Please don't take the following personally, it is just to provoke debate.

Why does India have to crave recognition in this way? It seems a little crude to say that my missile is bigger than yours, so you need to respect me. I agree that this level of rhetoric is effective for India's South Asian neighbors aka Pak, Bangla, Lanka etc.

However it is unlikely to deter China, which is the biggest bully on the block. Besides, China's leadership is much more sophisticated than our neighboring screamers. They don't make or care about idle threats of war.

Missile or no missile, N-bomb or no N-bomb India can't really stand against China militarily. It might be better to change the game, when you can't beat them at theirs.

Ever think why China will not really threaten Japan or Germany or Australia? None of these countries have any sort of military of any significance. The next battle of super-powers will not be fought with missiles or bombs.

I too am proud of the scientific achievement. Please don't take the following personally, it is just to provoke debate.

Why does India have to crave recognition in this way? It seems a little crude to say that my missile is bigger than yours, so you need to respect me. I agree that this level of rhetoric is effective for India's South Asian neighbors aka Pak, Bangla, Lanka etc.

However it is unlikely to deter China, which is the biggest bully on the block. Besides, China's leadership is much more sophisticated than our neighboring screamers. They don't make or care about idle threats of war.

Missile or no missile, N-bomb or no N-bomb India can't really stand against China militarily. It might be better to change the game, when you can't beat them at theirs.

Ever think why China will not really threaten Japan or Germany or Australia? None of these countries have any sort of military of any significance. The next battle of super-powers will not be fought with missiles or bombs.

I agree with you. We put locks in our door, it only stops an occasional/ casual thief, it does not stop a professional thief. Similarly a missile may deter the locals. But more than that it also helps with marketing India's space and arms wing to sell to other countries.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back