• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

If not political, then educational?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dear Seshadri,

Namaskarams.Regarding comman trust, I wish to share some points.First There is one organisation for Brahmins in Tamilnadu namely THAMBRAAS[THAMIZHNADU BRAHMIN ASSOCIATION] They have one trust THAMBRAAS FOUNTATION. Through this trust Educational ,Medical,etc help given to needy brahmins. Web site.www.thambraas.com
Since Thambraas doing the services to our community for past 29 years, we should help THAMBRAAS by giving helping hand.

with regards,
T.N.G.Shankaran

Namaskarams,

Yes, am aware of *******, and my father was associated with it years back... but that is a different story.

The latest news about ******* is that it is ineffective and full of inbred politics with probably just match making and samashti upanayanams doing the rounds... other activities, if any, are too trivial to be of any real help to the society.

It appears a dead horse to me - no longer serving the purpose; rejuvenation seems remote.

Please enlighten me.

Kind Regards,
Seshadri

Last edited:
Namaskarams tbs,

Appreciate your gesture. And as you said, the response from our community has to be sensed first.

Individuals can only do their part; it is the overall involvement of our community that would decide the fate of such a venture...

Regards,
Seshadri

sesh,

let me preface by noting that i wish you well in this venture. i also request you to read this note in the same light - as some thought through processes from a well wisher.

i have living in canada for many a years now. philanthropy is a big affair here, and causes are championed for diseases (cancer etc) or through individual narrowly defined community stuff (temples etc).

like the indians, the chinese are new comers, and are doing well. their socio family values are very similar to that of ours. there are not too many chinese charities that i know of.

i remember one community leader lamenting the fact that it was so difficult to get any money out of the chinese community. it was simply not in their culture to give money for organized charities. for his own purpose, it involved a lot of dogged cajoling and threats to put to shame.

the jews are a different type altogether. not only are they wealthy, but charities is a part of their lives. within their community, they go about in an aggressive way not only to collect money, but also ensure that it is spread as much in secular non jewish ventures as for their own religion or israel.

when i was young, we had an ayyappa samajam in my neighbourhood, which my father was extensively involved. come october, my father used to disappear every evening, to go with a few other committed folks, to collect funds. it was a labour of love, but he had many a stories of people finding excuses not to give.

which comes to your venture here.

you might find this community reluctant to part with their dhaanams. you might have a long haul of frustrations and disappointments. with an increasing organization, comes the need for permanent staffing, and administrative expenses. money, that cannot be used for good causes.

it might not be a bad idea, to initiate the process of monthly cheques from your donors, so that well in advance, you have an idea of the income/expense parameters and build a good balance sheet.

then there are folks like me, who have been successful in assuaging our need to give, by channelling our funds through certain other paths. we would experience a 'wait and see' attitude to your venture.

personally, i think, there should be no limit to giving. we should conitnue to give till it hurts. but then, that is another mindset, quite different from what we are used to, is it not?

God Bless.

hi kunjuppu,
i am very happy that you are from canada.Now i am in USA now..living many years. you might know very well about Richmond Temple Please read last week kumudam jothidam in Question/ answer section.Itis thought provocking article about the state of temple.

Regards
tbs
sesh,

let me preface by noting that i wish you well in this venture. i also request you to read this note in the same light - as some thought through processes from a well wisher.

i have living in canada for many a years now. philanthropy is a big affair here, and causes are championed for diseases (cancer etc) or through individual narrowly defined community stuff (temples etc).

like the indians, the chinese are new comers, and are doing well. their socio family values are very similar to that of ours. there are not too many chinese charities that i know of.

i remember one community leader lamenting the fact that it was so difficult to get any money out of the chinese community. it was simply not in their culture to give money for organized charities. for his own purpose, it involved a lot of dogged cajoling and threats to put to shame.

the jews are a different type altogether. not only are they wealthy, but charities is a part of their lives. within their community, they go about in an aggressive way not only to collect money, but also ensure that it is spread as much in secular non jewish ventures as for their own religion or israel.

when i was young, we had an ayyappa samajam in my neighbourhood, which my father was extensively involved. come october, my father used to disappear every evening, to go with a few other committed folks, to collect funds. it was a labour of love, but he had many a stories of people finding excuses not to give.

which comes to your venture here.

you might find this community reluctant to part with their dhaanams. you might have a long haul of frustrations and disappointments. with an increasing organization, comes the need for permanent staffing, and administrative expenses. money, that cannot be used for good causes.

it might not be a bad idea, to initiate the process of monthly cheques from your donors, so that well in advance, you have an idea of the income/expense parameters and build a good balance sheet.

then there are folks like me, who have been successful in assuaging our need to give, by channelling our funds through certain other paths. we would experience a 'wait and see' attitude to your venture.

personally, i think, there should be no limit to giving. we should conitnue to give till it hurts. but then, that is another mindset, quite different from what we are used to, is it not?

God Bless.

kunjuppu avargale,

Namaskarams,

You have highlighted a crucial characteristic of our community – "the reluctance to part with money for the welfare of the community", but there might a reason to it. Brahmins were always patronized by the Kings/Landowners and hence the "feel" to organize themselves in the event of any happening did not arise at all… simply because there was no need to do it.

Unfortunately, this mentality has stuck with us even after experiencing the vendetta of the anti-brahmin politics… Probably somewhere in a tiny obscure part of our mind, there is still the feeling that some great man (or saviour) would arise and do justice to our community (as a part of the overall justice to the society). Wishful thinking? Perhaps. Perhaps not…

And that may be the reason why many are resigned to causality or fate…

This may be well the reason why we are so much into our own affairs that we never find the common thread to unite – such a kind of a "unity" thought never feels practical to us, simply because we do not believe in our own commitment to such an entity!!!

What I would like our people to reflect on is this attitude and its implications… If we could just realize this, we could move forward as a unit…

Coming to your point on PDCs (if that is want you meant?)… it is possible in a select group of people to have such an arrangement, but for the most part, at the micro level (in India), I feel that cash collection has to be done... but without our people realizing the need (as stated in the previous para), it would be another futile exercise…

Maybe our people would prefer to spend on 200 Rs for cable tv, >100 for vethalai, pogailai and mookupodi; the yuppies would tend to spend more on luxuries and other paraphernalia…

We just have to wait and see whether we think it is time to spend for our community…

thanks tbs.

i joined kumudham jothidam and tried to access the q&a re richmond hill temple. all i got was a general you tube presentation for temple renovations? is this what you meant? if not please give me the url, if you don't mind.

the r.h. temple is the temple i go frequently. we were there in 1983 when the cornerstone was laid.

for a few years, it was just that , the cornerstone, the pillaiyar in a shed. then srilankans started coming here in large numbers.

the temple was built by their labour. their own hands and skills. many a times, i used to witness the construction, and would feel the goose pimples all over me, at their dedication towards this edifice.

the temple initially had only about 200 members or so, most of them tamil brahmins. but the board was more eclectical, with its rep of telugu, noth indian and sri lanans.

in order to pay the bills and ensure steady income, all of us were (& we did) encouraged to pay monthly cheques which paid the mortgage, taxes etc. the temple did not rely on the ad hoc hundi collection for its survival.

nowadays, there are thousands of devotees. most of them sri lankan, only because they are more in number. over the years, the temple has also veered towards an orthodoxy following the traditions of chidambaram temple, to which the srilankans look upto as their ultimate guide.

i am very proud of the temple. i go there off hours on sundays or evenings. just to soak up the atmosphere. there is always someone walking around singing hymns, some family performing private prayers, kids running around and the overall ambience and smell, like any other tamil temple.

it is a place for me to commune with my children. we just sit there for a while and feel peace and contentment descending on us gently and with grace.

there is always constant renovations. but the temple is now, i think financially sound. i have not heard of appeals like those times of yore.

ofcourse, with the increase in srilankans, there are more temples, many of them private ones, run by iyer priests from tamil nadu or sri lanka. these are purely business, but put on a good show for their congregation, which consists of tamil brahmins too, among others.

thank you.

sesh,

not sure what pdc means. is it pre authorized monthly deposit or contribution? if so, yes that is what i meant. it is a very good way to run a charity organization, which has regular expenses to meet.

apart from that, there are event collecitons. like deepavali special - an annual or bi annual extra effort to raise more money on a onetime deposit for specific goals.

going door to door on a constant basis, or waiting for ad hoc money before it can be committed (ie not knowing your capacity to give) would, i think, eventually wither away.

personally, i think, that the majority of our community were poor, till about a few generations ago. hence, we do not have the traditon or the advice in our religious practice to focus on charity.

the learned will always find stanzas where charity is espoused. but what i mean is a mandatory organized and methodical need to give.

the fact that we are even considering it as a community is good. for there is some dabbu left in the vessel after our needs are satisfied :)

personally, i think, we are among our most prosperous now. as a community, in india, we are among the most middle class, which is where we should be.

the effort that you propose, must and definitely must, only target the poorer sections, who are motivated. there will always be a section who do not have the drive, in any group. there is no point feeling sorry for them.

surprisingly our wealthy appear to leave endowments for veda patasalas. i have met a few youngsters, who are very contented to go there, and seek a career in vaideeham. which is okay.

the ones, i feel for, are those, who have the drive, and do not have the financial wherewithal to foot the professional college expenses. those are brains, that should not be wasted.

and now a days, i come across appeals for health related stuff. apparently, our group population is aging, and there is a need for some to need assistance for proper medical care.

again, since the broad spread of the community, and due to sparse numbers, edifices at one or more places, may confine that their services are availed of only by a few of us.

to focus, initially, as a do good, for the tamil brahmin diaspora, it may be more suitable to come with a different business model - one suggestion is to have recommended centers for medical assistance.

another would be to take a stake in an educational institution in karnataka, where tamil brahmins qualify as a linguistic minority.

the reason for this, is again, that while our strength is our mobility, focussing on tamil nadu alone might not quite spread the wealth. and might bring untoward and unwanted attention, which we can do without.

our need to eke out a living has indeed given us opportunities to prosper far and wide. i do not see it as a consequence of political winds. but then this is my opinion.

which comes back to my final caution. it may be best to avoid giving this charity any political colour bordering on vairagyam.

please ensure that vivekam governs all your actions, and as such, results in an inclusive crowd, who can identify with the good deads of an umbrella organization, and defintiely downplaying the inevitable philosophical / political differences which appear to crop up within minutes of any intoroductions within our tribe.

a big challenge. considering the tone and often acrimonious debates of the past, here and elsewhere, in other tamil brahmin forums. we are indeed an excitable lot, more on dispensing hot and not necessarily a fragrant air :(

best wishes sir.

Last edited:
Just musing here...

Would our community be interested in agriculture...? A co-op type of setup...

The trust could assist brahmin folk to set up modernized agri systems... Can we not do it?

Yes, it involves physical labour, but let us not shy away from it. The present generation entering into agri only bodes well for our community/society. It may not be enriching the coffers, but it is a sure way of self-sustenance.

Agri gives us the basic and the ultimate pursuit in material life. I, for one, is very interested in this idea...

Choking in metros would also cease; but I wonder how many would be willing to... (coz, one has also to forgo the associated comforts along with it).

With the economy slump and the oil looking down the barrel, food could well be the "wanted/scarce commodity" of the future.

Dear Mr Kunjuppu

"pdc" means post-dated cheque.

We understand that you have not taken any vehicle loan or personal loan from the present day banks and finance companies. They take post-dated cheques for all the instalments!

Regards

Anjankumar

Seshadri and other Members,

There are organizations which are helping the poor students. Just to mention one. Monday Charity Club in Mylapore has been doing it for long. It was founded by the leading Brahmin ladies of Chennai. They help all communities. They run Vishranthi Old Age Home.

http://www.geocities.com/vasudevanvrv/charity/vishra.htm

Savithri Vaithi is the president of the club.

http://www.hinduonnet.com/thehindu/...2006061002990200.htm&date=2006/06/10/&prd=mp&

Monday Charity Club
TTK Road
Teynampet
Chennai-600018
Landmark: Near Ethiraj Kalyana Mandapam
Phone: 044-24994806

Please get in touch with them. They have helped out a number of poor Brahmins. Vishranti is full of old Brahmin pattis. I know because my wife was a very active member there.

I would request the members who want to contribute to the welfare of the Brahmin community to contact these people. They are not exclusively for Brahmins. But let me assure you that Brahmins do get a very good treatment. They have specific schemes for poor and bright students.

Thank you.

I believe that we should strengthen the Institutions which have been started by Brahmins. There are many educational institutions, hospitals and Veda Patashalas.

I will try to list some of these institutions. I request the other members to add to the list. We can have a list of institutions displayed prominently in the forum. Please include only those institutions whose Bonafides are undoubted.

In private colleges in Pune like Ferguson college it was quite common to find a huge list of scholarships available to students. Merit based, need based and merit cum need based. Most of these scholarships were for designated communities. They even designated sub castes. The members individually can create such endowments for the Brahmin community. It does not need a lot of money. The scholarships can be created in the name of dear ones.

1. Seethalakshmi Ramaswami College, Trichy.

http://www.srctrichy.com/

2. Meenakshi College for Women, Chennai.

http://www.meenakshicollege.com/

Hospitals.

VHS Hospital , Tharamani, Chennai

Hospital founded by the famous Dr. K.S. Sanjivi. They had a scheme for feeding the poor patients ( VHS has mostly poor patients) on a specified day. Brahmins were using it to feed these people on the shraddham day of the elders. That is how the scheme was evolved.

This is not specific to Brahmins. But I would like the members to think it over that one of the best ways of remembering our elders is to feed the poor and needy people on their shraddham day. You can give a grant so that it will be done perpetually. Not a big amount. Only Rs. 100 the last time I checked. That was alas long back.

Dr. N.S. Murali was the director when I left Madras. He is a well-known Surgeon. Dr. Ramamurthy, Neurologist is closely associated with the hospital.

Seshadri and other Members,

There are organizations which are helping the poor students. Just to mention one. Monday Charity Club in Mylapore has been doing it for long. It was founded by the leading Brahmin ladies of Chennai. They help all communities. They run Vishranthi Old Age Home.

http://www.geocities.com/vasudevanvrv/charity/vishra.htm

Savithri Vaithi is the president of the club.

http://www.hinduonnet.com/thehindu/...2006061002990200.htm&date=2006/06/10/&prd=mp&

Monday Charity Club
TTK Road
Teynampet
Chennai-600018
Landmark: Near Ethiraj Kalyana Mandapam
Phone: 044-24994806

Please get in touch with them. They have helped out a number of poor Brahmins. Vishranti is full of old Brahmin pattis. I know because my wife was a very active member there.

I would request the members who want to contribute to the welfare of the Brahmin community to contact these people. They are not exclusively for Brahmins. But let me assure you that Brahmins do get a very good treatment. They have specific schemes for poor and bright students.

Thank you.
Dear Nacchinarkiniyan,
I going to chennai on jan 09 and i will visit them and contribute some amt to them. thank you.

Dear Nacchinarkiniyan,

To know more about 'SASTRA', please visit this site:

www.sastra.edu

It is a University founded by Tamil brahmins, admitting students only on merit. This in a way helps poor, meritorious students from forward community (read as brahmins).

Dr.N.S.Murali still continues to be the Director of VHS.Dr.BRM(Neuru-Surgeon) is no more.His son Dr.Ravi is in Dr.A.L.Neurosurgical unit'.I had had the previllege to work under Dr Sanjivi from 1965 to 1979 and again under Dr.Murali from 2002 to 2005(after I retired from Union Health Ministry).The scheme sri.Nachinarkinianhas suggested in VHS is very good.There are other two schemes Tamil Brahmins can help.Because Sanskrit does NOt get State patronage in T.N.(after1967),there was a time the Sanskrit college in Mylapore and Venkataramana Ayurvedic College,Mylapore were to be cliosed,due to lack of funds.There was a long discussion going on in a London based Message Board among European Sanskrit Scholars to raise funds to save Mylapore Sanskrit College in 1999-2000,. I do Not know the results.In between sri.-la-sri.Sankaracharya Jayendra Saraswathi Swami Started,an Ayurvedic college near Enatthur which is going well now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dear Sesh, I fully agree with your views and I am ready to devote amble time for the noble cause. We must start our Tamil Brahmins Organsations all Majer Towns in Tamilnadu and one at NewDelhi.

Unfortunately, many institutions that were founded by great visionaries have forgotten their very 'raison detre', in course of time, especially after the death of their founders. Their successors have either diluted the mission and objectives or turned the great institutions into commercial ventures - literally money-spinners.

To avoid exclusive / too much of dependency on others' donations, reasonable fees/charges may be collected from those who can afford. This is to ensure sustenance and for cross-subsidisation too, if need be.

But, without being told by anyone, we as responsible citizens shall contribute voluntarily as much as we can - subject to only these two conditions.

1. Complete transparency in functioning is assured. (Social audit is a powerful
tool, apart from regular financial audit).
2. Perpetuating vested interests by allowing hereditary trustees/patrons must be
discouraged and done away with. (Democratic set-up in its true sense will help)

I am eager to hear further from our members on this subject.

Hi all, have just added a poll to this thread... pls vote your options as this would help to ascertain the view of the members...

Request to those who do not post also to vote as this could enable to feel the overall mood of our community... possibly?

Thanks,
Seshadri

Hi all, another request to you to express yourself on this idea... I will not have access to the details of who voted for what... and hence members need not be unduly concerned nor would I use this info for any unfair purposes (a qualification, just in case).

There have been only a meagre voting so far, given the number of registered members... (even all the active members have also not voted).

This is not going to be a one-man show, rather a collective effort and responsibility... are we so lackadaisical to even vote for our unity on a virtual platform? I guess, that partly explains why we are so disparate.

I am wondering why the number of voters are very less to express their opinion? Just worried whether the one started by SV Sekhar has some poilitical background to it? Cant we have the database of all the mutts, organisations, socities existing now and bring them under a common umbrella with the only motive of uplifting the brahmins and the hindu society and values? It is in the heart of every brahmin to do something for the deprived class. All of us will support the noble cause by the members of this forum in any possible manner.
It was interesting to see an article by a member who saves as little as one rupee every day for this cause, which needs to be admired. I recall the Pidiyarisi Thittam started by HH Kanchi Acharya in which every house hold keep aside one handful of rice separately given to the local temple or society for the cause of anna dhanam. If we all can do what ever possible, we can regain the glory of the past.
Parallely may I request all the forum members to inform their known circle about this forum and participate for its growth.
Namaskars.

I am wondering why the number of voters are very less to express their opinion?
It has baffled me too... but anyway, people have to do it after realizing the need for such a cause...
Just worried whether the one started by SV Sekhar has some poilitical background to it?
Possible... actually am allergic to a tv personality championing such a cause...
Cant we have the database of all the mutts, organisations, socities existing now and bring them under a common umbrella with the only motive of uplifting the brahmins and the hindu society and values?
Methinks, it is a good idea! In fact I have a draft plan of the basic motives...
It is in the heart of every brahmin to do something for the deprived class. All of us will support the noble cause by the members of this forum in any possible manner.
Yes, but it can tranlsate into action only when we all are voluntarily ready for such a cause...

Namaskars,
Seshadri

Seshadriji,
The discussions in various other threads makes me to think whether we can start an institute for the uplift of the socalled Forward class (every others are getting into MBC...etc., some how or other except Brahmins) in Tamil Nadu, considering the atrocities by all the governments so far. Rather a thought process can be given to start one in a state other than TN where we can get recognition (atleast no hindrance and threat of take over which is very common in TN). Probably the Tamil Brahmin bureacrats settled outside TN can throw some light on that and use their good offices to make it a reality. I am confident that the entire Tamil Brahmin community in various parts of the world will support this noble cause.
Namaskars

Why cannot we form Brahmin Community Help Groups? in TN itself...

Local groups could be formed... at every point where there are considerable number of brahmins... kind of a loosely integrated structure where they are free to do whatever constructive work for our community... while complying with certain common action points - like data collection/verification, collection and disbursement of funds, sponsorships, organising tours, arranging veda patasalas/discourses... etc.

What is needed is for these BCHGs to coordinate and communicate with each other on a regular basis... Maybe we can open a portal to highlight/track the progress of the BCHG...

Also, requests and grants for scholarship/sponsorship or other assistance could be made available on the portal, so that the abroad community could offer their assistance. To avoid misuse, the details could also be made available to the local brahmin members.

If, for a start, we could organize at least 4 or 5 such groups, it would be great. The credibility of the members of the Group should be proved first, naturally...

If needed, a small percentage of the receipts could be shared among the members of the BCHG as a recognition of their constructive efforts.

Any thoughts? Any takers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back