• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

How Varna/Caste System Harmed Brahmins

Status
Not open for further replies.
>>Maha Periyaval has clearly admonished Brahmins for the root cause of degradation of the varna system in the past 150 years. I cant but accept our fault as a society of Brahmins.<<

Shri Sridhar

Mahaswami was so strict,that even our H H Jayendra Saraswathi Swamigal found it difficult to adhere to old rules of dharma.Maybe becoz of the revolt done by him to his Guru,that he is undergoing prayaschittam thru J J's false allegation,with court cases.After all Guru is almost equal to god,isn't it?

sb

My post was from the social perspective. Paramacharya's views are from the religious perspective. Religious leaders as I have said very often are generally social conservatives. He was not the religious leader of the entire Tamil Brahmin community. I have not heard anyone quoting the views of the Shringeri Sankaracharya. They are equally conservative. Shringeri math has a large following among the Tamil Brahmins though may not be in this forum.

The community can not afford to go by the social views of a religious leader. I think we are the only community some of whose members swear by the views of their religious leader for everything. Retired administrators who in their long years of service have never lifted a little finger for their community can afford to swear by their new found religious uprightness.

The poorer sections of the community can not afford to do that because the religious leaders have no answer for them.

Shri Nacchinarkiniyan

After my marriage only,i visited Shringeri Mutt.Gosh,it is such a wonderful feeling,and immediately my respect for Sankara Bhagavatpada went one more notch higher.Jagadguru Shri H H Bharathi Teertha Swamigal,is a divine incarnation as are other Gurus,Avatars,Ammas...spiritual leader's.But when it comes to Mahaswamigal of Kanchi,i am a bit partial,becoz his love is like Kama-Atchi ie Love Rules.An unconditional love for humanity.Also he is the oldest living saint.In fact becoz of Lord Krishna,i am developing an equanimity of drishti for all religious leaders and its devotees.Again Varna-ashrama has been subjected to all kinds of vivisection in society.But do tell me,isn't another nomenclature in place now? all over the world?Why single out a sect called brahmins alone?just becoz they are soft targets,for the asura kunjus!!!

sb

Last edited:
malgova mango has to say:-"To say women should not read sanskrit and all is not as per vedic spirit."

I fully agree. "Woman should not study Sanskrit" is NOT Vedic spirit.

>sri.Vagambruni,daughter of sri.Ambrunar, was a "Mantra Drsta".Mantras were "Revealed' to her and those Mantras form a part of RG Vedha,which are recited even today by "Rg Veda Ganapaatis and they say the "Arsha's" name is Vagambruni.I shall try to post her Mantras at the earliest.

>sri.Gargasya putri sri.Gaargi was taught Veda mantras by her father and she was an authority on Vedas.

> When sri Acharya Sankara(Advaitha Vedhaanthi) and sri.Mandan Misra(Poorva Meemaamsi) agreed to discuss their respective schools of thought, they neede an expert, who was well versed in Vedham,Tharka Saastram to adjudicate.Both agreed(one sholud remember both Acharyas were intellectual giants and they won't agree unless the adjudicator is intellectually competent) sri.Bharathi wife of sri.Mandan Misra to be the adjudicator.She was also equally clever.she had a "Dharma Sankatam"--Acharya sri.Sankara had lot of faith in her "neutrality"--she can not openly say that her husband has lost.So she asked both of them to wear "Kuntha Indu" flower garland.When a person loses "logic",either he(a child) will breakdown(weep) or in fret and fumes with anger(a grown up) and body heat will increase without rise in temperature(latent heat of vapourisation).the Kuntha indu(Indu= when cool) will change its colour(indicator) from "Thushaaram"/Davalam=spotlees White>> to Kashaayam=brown(due to polymerisation of Phenols)--So Hindu ladies were experts in Vedham till around 2 nd century A.D.Only after the marauders,like Huns started plundering the country through Khyber and Polen pauses and especially they started abducting the women folk of the defeated kings,learned people were to keep their women fol in "less" limelight.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dear Bala,

Thank you for your thoughts. A gentle rebuke with love and affection...Some of the most difficult things that have happened to Ramakrishna (cancer), Jesus (crucification), Krishna's final arrow on toe and so on...are difficult to explain. Not all their difficulties can be termed as their own wrong doing, right? Some of them have been known to bear the pain of others' wrong doing.

Dear Nacchinarkiniyan,

If Paramacharya did not have more clarity about "Brahmins" - (social and religious responsibilities) than anyone on this forum, I would be surprised. Please do not forget we are discussing about "How Varna/Caste System Harmed Brahmins". Both the varna system and Brahmins as a caste are a direct product of religious lineage in Sanatana Dharma/Hinduism.

You have said, "The community can not afford to go by the social views of a religious leader". This you have said about Paramacharya!!! I have my eyebrows raised. The community "Brahmins" wouldn't even be there today if people like him were not born into our religion.

You have also said Paramacharya and Shringeri Sankaracharya as conservatives. Now, I have my eyebrows back to normal. Because there is no more surprise for me in how you think. The time in your watch may not match with the official time given by an astronomical clock. Would we then say the official time is conservative, because it is more accurate or has better idea about the process? Do we not correct our watches once in a while to match the official clock? The guidance of Paramacharya is also such. To correct ourselves or ignore the advice is left to each individual.

Brahmins and the varna system - does not advocate amassing wealth beyond need for any community. In fact, harmony among communities is the only way for sustained economic growth as well. Harmony comes only if the mental state of people is in the right direction. The mental state can be tuned to the right direction by following guidance provided by people like Paramacharya.

You also say, "I think we are the only community some of whose members swear by the views of their religious leader for everything. Retired administrators who in their long years of service have never lifted a little finger for their community can afford to swear by their new found religious uprightness." - I am amused. Help me in understanding this if it conveys more that the words you have said there.

I take great privilege in defending Paramacharya, though I had the opportunity to meet him just once, and that was to give him the invite of my Upanayanam...many years earlier.

>>Thank you for your thoughts. A gentle rebuke with love and affection...Some of the most difficult things that have happened to Ramakrishna (cancer), Jesus (crucification), Krishna's final arrow on toe and so on...are difficult to explain. Not all their difficulties can be termed as their own wrong doing, right? Some of them have been known to bear the pain of others' wrong doing.<<

Shri Sridhar

When a spirit soul takes a body,to be born,then the body also has to perish.This is truth,regardless,if one is viewed as Mahaswami,Avatar,Amma...or ordinary jivatmas,isn't it?Ramana Maharishi deliberately did not want to get cured for Cancer treatment.My guess is,he must have realised,if i don't suffer the diesease in a natuaral manner,then maybe,i will have undergo another birth.Why do we go to doctors fro treatment>becoz we are unable to bear the pain inflicted on our physical self,isn't it?My point is,if born,then death is natural.How it happens,is another way of analysing the truth.

Take for instance our Bhagavan Sathya Sai Baba today.He is unable to speak in his gambira voice any longer nor is he able to walk briskly like before.As his organs are getting weaker naturally,so props are being used to assist.Or maybe Bhagavan has taken over the diesease of another devotee out of kindness.WE cud only speculate such mahatmas action,but to know exactly,why they do it,only they can spell it out for us.

sb

Shri Sridhar

Ok.But i am not willing to accept the blame,that Brahmins are at fault for the Jati system.Today an entirely new nomenclature is in place with its own division.The root cause of the harm is 800 years of islamic terrorism plus 200 years of christian terrorism.The fact that Sanathana Dharma still continues it positive journey is a miracle of the Vedas only.

sb.

the posting from bala which is quoted above is now missing. so is my posting made earlier. It had difficulty posting the following message couple of days earlier and so had retained a copy to send later. now the earlier postings are missing!!! am i looking the wrong place?

Dear Bala,

I had said, "It is the brahmins who have harmed the varna system and not the other way around." Which I had derived from what Paramacharya had said.

Also, Paramacharya has said the varna system and the Brahmins in this system had not eroded during the islamic rule, but had eroded only during the rule of British. He also cited that the reason for the erosion was the divide and rule policy of the British who devised a way to provide english education and salaried jobs which would appeal to the public. Brahmins being more educated at that time and more prudent in terms of mind work at that time, were able to fulfill these easily. However, now a days others are also catching up pretty fast and pretty well. He goes on to say, that the Brahmins were greedy and forgot their dharma, and took up other professions, which in turn worked in the Britishers' favor. because of new found money with Brahmins, the other people in varna system felt deprived and adding fuel to it - their traditional jobs which were now mechanized also made them look for jobs. thus started the erosion of the varna system.

And my friend, please dont feel bad, we are not the only ones to be blamed. But, we ought to correct ourselves first to be able to help this system get back on track, for the good of all.

As you say, the miracle of the vedas is true (positive journey is not true currently)...Paramacharya says, since for thousands of years people followed their dharma and chanted the vedas meticulously, the cycle is still moving with by sheer pedaling of our ancestors. Definitely it is bound to stop if people do not at least give some effort now or in near future.

Shri Vasu

Oops...if Mahaswamigal has said anything then it will be true.We are all so blessed,that he was amongst us.Truly a saint ,a rishi,an avatar..isnt it.

sb

S-Bala-ji,

Nice to see your positive response to SV-ji. Sometimes we do tend to ramble without realizing things (its ok, am v.prone to that as well)...am just saying something here. f you wish you can ignore it as one serious bloke / crank rambling though i do wish that you can understand what am trying to convey:

Just wanted to say that you are a tambram (or people consider you a tamil brahmin) for your culture. If you were to make it frivilous, others will see it the same way. So, please no matter what you do for a living, or no matter what else you do, please try and do your bit to retain your culture. I esp say this since i beleive you are from the younger generation.

Am also hoping you do not see this as some sort of preaching. Please consider me a friend.

Dear Nacchinarkiniyan,

Do you notice both our postings after this are missing now? Anyways, you have replied above to Seshardri and not to me. Well since you wanted to take this as a reply to my earlier posting, referring to Chintana's words there....I shall do so, just for u....not becos i feel it is justified...but to bring the thread back to its purpose.

Even Chintana refers to Paramacharya's words there, "every man's words can be subjected to examination". So were your words, examined below for discussion. References are good to make, but it would be good only when we haven't' yet criticized anyone by our own words. Once that happens, we will have to explain ourselves when anyone asks us to do so.

On a lighter note: if you would like to reply yourself, it would be a discussion. If not, it would be like one student writing his assignment, "Tamil Konar: refer page 152 for the answer"

I am still amused by one of your replies to me, "I think we are the only community some of whose members swear by the views of their religious leader for everything. Retired administrators who in their long years of service have never lifted a little finger for their community can afford to swear by their new found religious uprightness." - Help me in understanding who you were referring to here.

S-Bala-ji,

Nice to see your positive response to SV-ji. Sometimes we do tend to ramble without realizing things (its ok, am v.prone to that as well)...am just saying something here. f you wish you can ignore it as one serious bloke / crank rambling though i do wish that you can understand what am trying to convey:

Just wanted to say that you are a tambram (or people consider you a tamil brahmin) for your culture. If you were to make it frivilous, others will see it the same way. So, please no matter what you do for a living, or no matter what else you do, please try and do your bit to retain your culture. I esp say this since i beleive you are from the younger generation.

Am also hoping you do not see this as some sort of preaching. Please consider me a friend.

HH & Bala,

To tell the truth, I would have not thought of or even read a few things about our own culture but for the thoughts and posting shared by people on this forum. One posting by KRS was especially great, because it let me into www.kamakoti.org, an eye opener on many aspects of our own religion and culture. It's been a pleasure having Bala or anyone confuting my postings, because it encourages me to think, read and write. I believe, all these three together are done nowadays very little, at least by me.

One guy driving next to be suddenly turned his vehicle towards mine. Just like anyone I was a bit annoyed. I had to manage the situation and not collide on anyone else. Thinking about it, he had turned suddenly, because, there was someone walking on the road. The person on the road, could be blamed, but there was no space on the platform, because, there was a shop extension there. The shop owner can be blamed, but, he needs to get back his money which he had to give to the cops as bribe, because otherwise he simply cannot do his business in peace. The cops take money because, they dont get enough salary...the blame goes on n times up the social structure....do we ever see an end to this rambling....NO. Such is the chain of blames that can be done on how the Varna system is maligned in today's world.

Naturally there are bound to be people reacting to the guy who turned his vehicle suddenly, but not to the root cause. And when someone does find the root cause like our seers, it is hard to digest or seems far fetched to us in comparison to what we want to believe.

SV-ji,

I too wud have not really got into reading abt religion, caste, origins, and all (though was spiritually inclined). Then some years ago i went thru a difficult phase. I had to work alongside some ppl who turned out to be the kind that supported extreme thinking or work, of a certain sort. They were also the ones that talked abt how brahmanism had spoiled original tamil culture and so on. Their vengeful attitude was too scary to say the least at that time. I just heeded my conscience then and i do not regret it.

I did speak to quite a few gurus abt the varna dharma. I do understand some things well - its just that when it comes to fitting it in socially in the present times, i see it all at a loss. And that's why i keep trying to find reasons from the scriptures that says varna is not by birth (and yes must say there are plenty in that angle too). Very truly my vision is coloured because of what i have seen and known.

I have immense respect for Sri Mahaperiaval whom i do not see any less than God Himself. I did have the good fortune of spending some time with Him with my mother in a remote place that He was visiting with someone (no crowd). My mother spoke to him at length while i just sat and stared at Him the whole noon into late evening (i was abt 6 then).

I wud never consider His words as casual in any way.

SV-ji,

I too wud have not really got into reading abt religion, caste, origins, and all (though was spiritually inclined). Then some years ago i went thru a difficult phase. I had to work alongside some ppl who turned out to be the kind that supported extreme thinking or work, of a certain sort. They were also the ones that talked abt how brahmanism had spoiled original tamil culture and so on. Their vengeful attitude was too scary to say the least at that time. I just heeded my conscience then and i do not regret it.

I did speak to quite a few gurus abt the varna dharma. I do understand some things well - its just that when it comes to fitting it in socially in the present times, i see it all at a loss. And that's why i keep trying to find reasons from the scriptures that says varna is not by birth (and yes must say there are plenty in that angle too). Very truly my vision is coloured because of what i have seen and known.

I have immense respect for Sri Mahaperiaval whom i do not see any less than God Himself. I did have the good fortune of spending some time with Him with my mother in a remote place that He was visiting with someone (no crowd). My mother spoke to him at length while i just sat and stared at Him the whole noon into late evening (i was abt 6 then).

I wud never consider His words as casual in any way.

Did you notice, I have been on this forum only recently? that is about a month..and i have posted views in very few threads here. Simply because, I did not know about this website earlier. Also, I happened to have a bit more time in the last one month. Whereas, people like Paramacharya have spent their whole life on these subjects - scripturally and spiritually. It is a great privilege you have had in having been in his presence.

Whenever, you ever come across anyone who hurts your feelings (through anti-brahminical attitude), just ignore them (for their words), but never ignore them fully. Their negative attitude is because they have no idea about brahmins. But, their strength is because, WE have very less idea about brahminism ourselves (in general nowadays).

The only way like Paramacharya suggests (or rather pleads) is by following our vedic dharma - of learning, chanting the vedas and of spiritual quest. All other issues of material and non-material needs including fighting ridicule towards varna system (and brahminism in specific) can be ignored, if we do the above. i have extracted this as the essence of Paramacharya's teachings.

When ever you have a doubt if varna system by birth is right, please put these questions to yourself, to find some solace:

1. If there is GOD then can there be more than one GOD?
2. If there cannot be more than one GOD, how can there be anything outside GOD?
3. If there is nothing outside GOD, then how can there be male and female genders for a soul?
4. If there is (even) no gender to a soul, then how can there be differences of high and low among people?
5. If there is no difference among people in the highest sense, then are the outwardly differences of caste only temporary?
6. If body is temporary, caste is temporary, and if karmic theory exists then, is the varna system only laying down rules for a current birth?
7. If varna system is laying down rules for a current birth, then one soul may be born into one caste now and another caste in its next birth right?

Then why fret over it? Why these rules through the varna system?

Well, it is only to clear off our karmic balance and channelizing our life during this birth. One who can do their role as prescribed by varna dharma without thinking one to be high or low (irrespective of what caste they or others are) would only help them clear their karmic balance and channelize ones' own life spiritually.

Shrimathi H H

>>Just wanted to say that you are a tambram (or people consider you a tamil brahmin) for your culture. If you were to make it frivilous, others will see it the same way. So, please no matter what you do for a living, or no matter what else you do, please try and do your bit to retain your culture. I esp say this since i beleive you are from the younger generation.

Am also hoping you do not see this as some sort of preaching. Please consider me a friend. <<

I am today young man but always born with an old soul,due to so many previous incarnation.Mdm i appreciate your honesty in pointing out abt cultural ramifications,if we lose it.I am with you now & beyond.My wife,children we try to maintain our Indianess in America,at least at home.Outside when we mix and socialise we are just like any other regualar,based on our social structure.I like your liberty,of saying so politely,wish i could emulate such humility all times. :)

sb

Dear Srimathi HH Ji and Sri Vasudevan Ji,

If one goes through the 'Hindu Dharma' (Daivathin Kural), one understands what and more importantly why He said what He said. His only aim is to preserve the Vedas and our traditions.

I personally do not believe in Varna by birth. But Maha Periaval says that it is. So, how do I reconcile this? Because, again what He said: (I am Paraphrasing) Even if Varna by birth is not true, how is it practical to implement it as one needs to start very young on the training to be a Brahmin. He said this after arguing on the basis of the Gita statement that Varna is by birth!

Now, why would He equivacate like that? So, I got my answer.

By the way, those who follow Him, in majority, follow Him, only partly. There is a whole chapter on 'A day in a Brahmin's Life' in His book, where He explains what is expected of a Brahmin.

He also explains that other Varnas will accept the selfless ways of a Brahmin, if WE FOLLOW OUR DHARMA.

Is this possible today?

Regards,
KRS

There are people who have not studied well at school or college, but they make an attempt to do well at a job and make sure they make a living. There are many successful people like that.

There are people who have health issues from birth, but they make an attempt to over come them, and there are many successful people like that.

There are people who have been down trodden socially or economically at the time of birth, but they make an attempt to do well in life. There are many successful people like that.

All that we as Brahmins have done in a major way in the past few decades, is to prove ourselves as people with high intellect, good productivity, great earning capacity, even physical prowess. Thus, amassing a decent chunk of wealth. But, where is our spiritual and cultural wealth that our ancestors had provided us for generations. It is time to make an attempt.

When someone learns cycling or swimming, we acknowledge that the person will never forget it completely even if they haven't practiced for years. However, it will take time and effort for them to get back the high level of skill when they come back to it.

Similarly, it will take time and effort for us "Brahmins" to get back to the high level of spiritual and cultural wealth. But, it will be a thing of the past if we do not attempt even now.

Like Paramacharya said, the cycle keeps moving by the sheer momemtum given by the pedalling done by our ancestors, but it will stop at some point of time if we do not continue to pedal. Now we are shaky because the mementum is so very slow. When it stops, we will fall. Let's not wait till we fall completely.

More than the doubt of whether we can do it, I believe it is the doubt of why we should do it that is in the minds of many among the Brahmin community. This is simply because, there is very less people to quote as living examples today, who can guide and lead younger people into a better spiritual and cultural lifestyle.

Many who even read this article, will wonder, so what will happen to my ambitions, bank balance, etc., if I pursue spiritual goals, but, very less would wonder, what is most important in life. Or for that matter, why life at all.

Forget about varna system, forget about Brahmins as a community, but never forget to question why life at all. Spiritual pursuit is the cream of human life. Work is the cake below. God is the cherry on top.

You can always choose to eat a cake which does not have cream or cherry on top. It's your choice.

Last edited:
Shri S V

Mahaswamigal himself has left us a legacy,with a huge reservoir of spiritual wealth.So,like many of us tap into his database of spiritual wealth,all we need to do some samskaras if not all as explained by the Mahaan.Even though truth is bitter,but ,segregation exists with different nomenclature in society.The learned Mahaswamigal spoke truth,about Varna's as simply as he could.We just don't have the moral strenthg to live up to his ideals,at least i accept my defeat in society.I am only brahmin for namesake,but definitely not in action.In mind,in action,in words-we should live and emulate the life of brahmana.Even though he is to be seen,but for me,in spirit he guides all of us.Lets open our hearts and receive him as ever.

sb

sri.Paramaacharyal has given a detailed account "How a Brahmin is supposed to live.A Brahmin's life is extremely hard to live.But our ancestors chose that,because they wanted to lead such a life.In earlier days a Brahmin's life was still more harder.In very ,very early period brahmins led a life called "Yaayaavara Brahmanaas"--Yaa,yaa=wherever,wherever--Vara=cereals/millets(available)--they were supposed to be in constant movement from village to village,wher harvests were going on,sweep the harvested fields,collect the grains,eat for the day and move to next village.They were not supposed to "Store" the grains for the next day.In course of time they gave up this type of ordeal due to inclement weathers(torrential rains,biting cold,children not getting milk,non-availability of cereals etc) and they gradually became "Saalina Brahmanaas"(Brahmins in settlements) and a lot of changes occured after the invation of Huns(especially Babar) through Khyber,Bolan passes--even during Kautilya's period he had an oppurtunity to become a King.he did not accept that.He removed an Yadhu Vansi(Lallu Prasad Yadav type) king,who imprisoned his father who in turn,asked the King to behave decently in public places.Kautilya ("Kutilasya Putraha Kautilya"=Foxe's son--Fox was the name given by the arrogant king and Kautiya took it to his advantage) made a Harijan (Mura-lady's name-her son=Maurya as a king,around 320 B.C.E.).Kautilya was wearing only a cotton Dhothi,Rudraaksham maala,sitting on the ground behind a desk,completely running the State administration of the kindom..Almost from the beginning of history(even as ealy as 320 B.C.E.)Brahmins were humiliated for telling kings to tread the path of Dharma.

Last edited by a moderator:
..other Varnas will accept the selfless ways of a Brahmin, if WE FOLLOW OUR DHARMA.

Is this possible today?
Dear Sri KRS-ji,

Some comments given to me from those below age 40 (except parents generation where mentioned) - obviously either i have failed in explaining properly or they have responded without understanding the full import or they responded to me, for me, and knowing me, without giving importance to what i asked. I hope its not a turn off for anyone that i have put on the stuff here in the same casual manner as spoken:

1) Are we living in BC or AD times? Ye kaalam lo bathukuthunavu?
2) Why think of these things now? Is there nothing else to do? [these types turn me off].
3) Who can think of more responsibilty? There are enuf headaches to handle inside the house.
4) I don't know. Not sure. Depends on the situation. I can try.
5) Who wants to be selfless? Show me one selfless priest [the seasoned urban seen-enuf-life male].
6) Told you so many times, don't ask me such things, you waste time [the so-busy ones].
7) Don't live in the past. Try to think about future. In the past blah-blah...In the future blah-blah...Everyone must always plan well, blah-blah.. [the ones with permanent advicing ability, but never follow it themselves].
8) ..like Tathiah opened the doors to xxx temple every day even when he was sick. If I had money, I will. [my parent's generation speaking]
9) Who has the money to support anyone? [again my parent's generation speaking]
10) Why are you talking about caste all the time?
11) ..are you crazy..you think brahmins want to be supported?..
12) You need a holiday where there is no computer access.

Obviously i have not been successful in better communication. However, the mood of the times is obvious. Me too think it is impossible to go back in time. Or atleast it is unimaginable in the present time.

As regards Sri Mahaperiaval on varna by birth, sir, am not inclined to think anything contrary to that. He is right in His path. To me, there appear very many traditions. All namboodiris did not become advaitins like Mandana Mishra. All tantra upasakas did not and will not give up their ways. It wud be very unfair to tell a mimasaka or a yogi that his path is not the right one. All traditions are valid, all definitions of a brahmin are valid, all paths are valid.

Regards.

Dear HH & KRS,

It was one posting from KRS a long time ago, which made me look into the teachings of Paramacharya in kamakoti.org. I read that just a month ago. The great man's words has been very inspiring for me. After reading it if there can be one person (myself) who has expressed confidence, I am sure there are many others too. Just that we might not have met them.

It's true we may not find too many people to follow the path of varna dharma totally. But, even the great man Paramacharya only says, atleast let's help children do it for just 1 hour per day for just 10 years. He does not ask this to any other community other than Brahmins to start with. He says, educate the children in vedas and others great cultural legacies of our lineage during these 10 years, while they attend normal school. I think it is possible, because if we can send out children to atleast 2 or 3 co-curricular activity during this time, why not make one of them traditional education?

Once, we start doing it within the family, where no one else can actually say a thing - many families being nuclear now a days and many brahmin families being in much better financial position than before and many families in general have a of the school of thought that they are the only ones who would decide how they want to live - then why should we bother about what others do? Particularly when we know that we are not compromising the child's modern education/career prospects and also ensuring a higher level of education through the traditional one.

Even if just 0.01 percent of brahmin children born every year from now learns the vedas, we will have more than a few lakhs of them, in just 10-15 years from now.

Did India not turn around the educational prospects of so many socially and economically backward families in the past 30-50 years? If a nation can do it in such a large scale, cant we do it just within our family?

We are talking about effort which would give satisfaction in life, peace of mind, cultural heritage, spiritual progress and all the more - meaning to life.

Dear Sri SV-ji,

I agree with you totally.

The apathy in general (from the NBs) is unbelievable. But that is how the generations are...they want the fastest life, are so unflexible as well - i won't be surprised if situations like preparing a pre-marriage contract comes into existence amongst indians too...

Being a brahmin today, is i think, the toughest job.

(and yep i suppose not everyone is the same, there are ppl like me also; willing to contribute in for any form of outside support...cannot imagine a whole legacy wasted for the trappings of a luxurious life..)

Best Regards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back