• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

How to live with Dignity after Retirement?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Greetings.

I like to bring forward an important point, please.

In India, retirement age is 58 years? That is not old at all. That is young, in my opinion.

I don't know about others, I and my wife are planning for extended honeymoon trips after I turned 60. ( i am 55 now. In India, I would be retired in 3 years.... I can't even come to terms with that! I am enrolling for higher studies in 2013. Would run for few years. Possibly pack p studying when I turn 60. Work few more years after that).

So, my suggestion is, don't retire at 58... earn more money and save it.. hopefully no mortgage to pay.. if renting, instead of renting a smaller house, rent a larger house and run a mess... always spare time for romance.

Cheers!

We have done these things:

1. Saved what we want to say in ‘Drop Box’ in our Lap Top
  2. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.dropbox.android. This facility helps us to write on all matters. It is important to write in Drop box about how you want all investments/ jewels/ cash/ property is to be shared between your son/daughter. There is a facility to share your Drop Box with your son/ daughter, ( in their lap top ) so that whatever is written there, they can read all of them.

1. In all your Bank accounts please make your / son/ daughter as Nominee
  2. Keep information in the Drop box about various matters such as , where you keep your Bank Locker Key, how to dispose off your used pants/ shirts/ dhotis/ saris/ vessels/ where you keep your property documents/ how your property is to be shared between your sons/ daughters/ Eyes donation if you wish to make /how you wish your final rites are to be done/ and any matter which you and your wife thinks are very important for the family to know.
  3. As Venkat Sir suggested, we have made document of final settlement of our property and registered it, which show how our son/ daughter will share it after our period.
  4. Anything can happen any time, so please keep these details known to your son and daughter in advance. Make it a point to thank everyone and write a few words about your son/ daughter/ grand children, each one of them, write about your very close relatives like brothers/ sisters and even some servants who helped you, and Thank God for giving you your life with such a wonderful family.

Last edited:
Greetings.

I like to bring forward an important point, please.

In India, retirement age is 58 years? That is not old at all. That is young, in my opinion.

I don't know about others, I and my wife are planning for extended honeymoon trips after I turned 60. ( i am 55 now. In India, I would be retired in 3 years.... I can't even come to terms with that! I am enrolling for higher studies in 2013. Would run for few years. Possibly pack p studying when I turn 60. Work few more years after that).

So, my suggestion is, don't retire at 58... earn more money and save it.. hopefully no mortgage to pay.. if renting, instead of renting a smaller house, rent a larger house and run a mess... always spare time for romance.

Cheers!

Retirement ages vary from 58 years to 60 years. The organization where I am working, the retirement age is 60 years. I have my own views regarding extension of employment. Even though in some cases, the company is offering an extension of service by 1 or 2 years, how far it is justified in taking the extension. By accepting extension, are we depriving the position to someone younger to you in age. Also, by keeping the factor of extension in mind, at times, people do not seem to be interested in developing their suboridnates. This sort of practice is not good for the organization. If the extension is in the same present job, in my view, people should not accept the same. If it is some sort of special assignments for a year or two, it is OK.

When I wrote my earlier post, I was sure that having enough savings may not be easy for all. But the main point of my thread is asking all the members to visualize their requirements and taking the steps towards achieving the end results.

Venkat K

hi raghy sir,

always spare time for romance..

.நீங்க எங்கேயோ போய்டீங்க .....நீங்க வாழ்க்கையே ரசிக்க தெரிஞ்சிருக்கீங்க ....any way

HAPPY HONEYMOON TO U....

Last edited:

It takes many years to get a good name the circle of family and friends. First one is the choice of God Almighty and second is ours!

The easiest formula is to follow this kuraL:

அழுக்காறு அவாவெகுளி இன்னாச்சொல் நான்கும்

இழுக்கா இயன்றது அறம்.

If we have jealousy, then it will lead to lust which will lead to anger (if we don't get what we want) and harsh words.

By helping others in their distress and by talking kind words, we will be respected by everyone in our circle. Life will be

peaceful. Old age is supposed to give health set backs and we should never be lamenting about these to others. I have

seen people who boast about their hospital expenses and take pride in that! Vitamin M (money) is a must and we must

have enough in savings for the rainy days. Every healthy day is a bonus given by God and we should learn to utilize it in

a nice way, instead of always grumbling about the set backs in health. Financial independence, fairly good health, active

mind and our good nature are sure to give a dignified life in retirement! :thumb:

Dear Raghy Sir,

As TBS sir mentions " you are so different and far way from other"... Cheers to your thoughts. It is so encouraging and gives that pep to people like us!! When i started reading thru the posts and running late fifties i could feel some sort of discomfort.. whether i have done all that need to be done as mentione by PJ sir, and Mr.Venkat? I have not yet given a thought to the retired life and in a way skipped the thread for two days... Since i cannot run away from the reality read thru all the posts and i got so much comfort and knowledge from all the posts. "Drop Box " i never knew the concept.

Your post gave me that all is not lost and still lot more is there in life after retirement. This is what i call help to others which you refuted in a earlier post. Without knowing you have given me that needed pat on the back and made my day. And as usual thanks to Mr.PJ for posting a thread and Mrs.RR maam in to pushing him to do this!!

Was missing the forum due to heavy work load and year end closing!!
Cheers.

In my view, there can be a fruitful discussion on this topic of planning post-retirement life, only among equals, and most essentially among people who are comparabe in income, saving ability, size of family, inherited and self-acquired assets, educational and professional skills and the demand for these by society even after retirement (for example a good doctor will always be able to earn good income but a good accountant will have less ability to do so.) and so on. This sort of discussion among anonymous internet entities is not likely to benefit anyone, except some who may be able to (indirectly) show off "how smart I am!". Let us remember the saying in Malayalam which means that a goat should not aspire to defecate as much as an elephant!

Society today, tabras included, is undergoing a very crucial transformation. On the one hand, the old-world set-up under which the son/s would have to take care of their parents, irrespective of whether the parents bequeathed lot of assets or were simple "bhikshaamdehi"s has vanished practically. But the American (western?) system of parents taking care of children only up to some age or educational level, beyond which the concerned boy/girl works, earns and, if possible, studies further out of own earnings, that sort of a system has not yet come into India. Ours is one of the 'in-between' generation; may be we will take a few more generations to fully catch up with the west. In the meantime, there are many parents who have spent almost all their moneys towards education of children and marriage of daughters and since these parents did not have jobs which guaranteed anything substantial after retirement, they are not in a position to follow anything of the advices being given here. Meanwhile their children have completely gone away to the new system and though they regularly send greetings on father's day, mother's day, etc., not one rupee comes to the poor parents by way of regular periodic help.

Let us, therefore, keep in mind that such parents will ultimately die in some free old age home or in Kasi/brindaavan as unclaimed and unidentified 'bodies' while we make all high-faluting opinions on how to live with "dignity" after retirement.

Dear Raghy Sir,

As TBS sir mentions " you are so different and far way from other"... Cheers to your thoughts. It is so encouraging and gives that pep to people like us!! When i started reading thru the posts and running late fifties i could feel some sort of discomfort.. whether i have done all that need to be done as mentione by PJ sir, and Mr.Venkat? I have not yet given a thought to the retired life and in a way skipped the thread for two days... Since i cannot run away from the reality read thru all the posts and i got so much comfort and knowledge from all the posts. "Drop Box " i never knew the concept.

Your post gave me that all is not lost and still lot more is there in life after retirement. This is what i call help to others which you refuted in a earlier post. Without knowing you have given me that needed pat on the back and made my day. And as usual thanks to Mr.PJ for posting a thread and Mrs.RR maam in to pushing him to do this!!

Was missing the forum due to heavy work load and year end closing!!
Cheers.

Mohankumar Sir
my son suggested this to us.
It is most likely our son or daughter might not know where we kept our Bank Locker key, number etc, our jewels, how many and where we have kept them, how they should share them, and various other matters like Gas Connection, Telephone, Vessels, what to do with our pants/ shirts/ sarees etc ; Also we can write about how we wish our final Ritres are to be done, eye donation etc.
The Drop box can be shared with your son/ daughter ; they can see all the entries from their lap top/
and we can go on update that as and when we realize we missed something.
We also did "Settlement of our Property" and registered it, so that they will not have any problem in transferring the Title to their name later on and if they wish the can sell it. we also kept them known where we have kept all property documents through this facility.
We have written that all disposable items like dresses/ sarees/ Vessels, TV, Fridge, cot etc, table, chairs, sofas, and other things to donate to some orphanage keeping a token of an item with them for remembrance if the wish. Even we have written about Gas connection number, Receipts, where we kept it, how to order for new connection etc.
Even about Almerah keys, where we kept them also.
The advantage of this is , we can edit, add, delete anything. at the same time it is shared with son/ daughter.

We have included them as nominee in all our Bank accounts so that they should not face any difficulty in withdrawing the amount in our account.
However we plan, there are chances of something missed by us, so we have asked them to take the help of my younger brother who is also a Chartered accountant and very reliable and also one of my very reliable friend who actually looks after our property matters when we are away from India.

I hope this post helps many who are old like me 73/ my wife 67.

Cheers.

Last edited:
Mohankumar Sir
my son suggested this to us.
It is most likely our son or daughter might not know where we kept our Bank Locker key, number etc, ............................................................I hope this post helps many who are old like me 73/ my wife 67.

Cheers.

sir,

great stuff!! you have done as much in detail and have gone through this with your children, so that there are no surprises.

i think every parent should do this, regardless of age. a few years ago, my fil passed away, and poor mil had no clue what the fil had done with his money. even upto two years after his demise, the lady was getting mails, about matured deposits, of which she had no idea.

it is also important to write a detailed will. it is equally important to go through the terms of the will with your children, and ensure that they are all aligned to its contents. otherwise, rancour will result, after you are gone. the last thing any parent will wish, is to have the children quarrel. more so, over their inheritance.

estate planning is indeed is as important to every family as birth or wedding. also, how much ceremonies you would like to have done. mainly because, now a days, not only are ceremonies expensive, but also time constraints of the children should be taken into account. if you honestly believe, no matter how you lived, a few prayers and dhanams done in your name after your death, will get you moksha, so be it. pass on this sentiment to your wards..and hopefully it will be satisfied. or like me, a good life, by and large ordinary with its average amount of good and bad -- will result in whatever the Maker has in store for us..and that too is ok (to me atleast).

i know of families where the wife cringes at the mention of the word 'will'. i feel really sorry for these.

thank you.

Sir,

I am not yet there.. But I think the right to way to live with dignity pre-retirement or post-retirement is to follow the Asrama dharma as much as possible.

In my view if one retires from service and is able bodied, he/she should enter vanaparastha, by which I mean entering a new domain (vana) and start on things that help the society with little or no remuneration. It could be a social service or research in any domain, where in u provide more and acquire less. Also reduce the needs of your living continuously.

When one really practices vanaprastha, as they reduce their needs, provide more output to society and practice being happy by our output and not by what we get in return, they slowly start their descent towards sanyasa at later stages of life.

At some point of time, become a sanyasin, by which I mean u start living as 'Jeevan maatra artha chesthah", where u have reduced ur needs to bare minimum.

aksharOpAsakAnAM (One who Worships ever the Imperishable) nivrutta sarvaishaNAnAM (who have renounced all desires) saNyAsinAM (that Sanyasi) paramArthajnAna nishTAnAM (focussed on the utlimate jnana) dharmajAtaM (dutifully) prakrAntaM (begins, sets out on the journey) upasaMharati (on the act of withdrawing). That is, a Sanyasin who is focused on ultimate jnana (wisdom/knowledge) dutifully begins the act of withdrawing by worshipping ever the imperishable and by renouncing all the desires.

This means that a real sanyasin is ever happy and peaceful irrespective of what happens around him and is not afraid of life or relationships or hunger or pain.

In my view living by Asrama dharma is the best way to live with happiness and dignity always at all times..

Easy to preach; Difficult to practise, but in my view a perfect way of life. I will be writing about it in my eternal varna asrama dharma series..

-TBT

In my view, there can be a fruitful discussion on this topic of planning post-retirement life, only among equals, and most essentially among people who are comparabe in income, saving ability, size of family, inherited and self-acquired assets, educational and professional skills and the demand for these by society even after retirement (for example a good doctor will always be able to earn good income but a good accountant will have less ability to do so.) and so on. This sort of discussion among anonymous internet entities is not likely to benefit anyone, except some who may be able to (indirectly) show off "how smart I am!". Let us remember the saying in Malayalam which means that a goat should not aspire to defecate as much as an elephant!

Society today, tabras included, is undergoing a very crucial transformation. On the one hand, the old-world set-up under which the son/s would have to take care of their parents, irrespective of whether the parents bequeathed lot of assets or were simple "bhikshaamdehi"s has vanished practically. But the American (western?) system of parents taking care of children only up to some age or educational level, beyond which the concerned boy/girl works, earns and, if possible, studies further out of own earnings, that sort of a system has not yet come into India. Ours is one of the 'in-between' generation; may be we will take a few more generations to fully catch up with the west. In the meantime, there are many parents who have spent almost all their moneys towards education of children and marriage of daughters and since these parents did not have jobs which guaranteed anything substantial after retirement, they are not in a position to follow anything of the advices being given here. Meanwhile their children have completely gone away to the new system and though they regularly send greetings on father's day, mother's day, etc., not one rupee comes to the poor parents by way of regular periodic help.

Let us, therefore, keep in mind that such parents will ultimately die in some free old age home or in Kasi/brindaavan as unclaimed and unidentified 'bodies' while we make all high-faluting opinions on how to live with "dignity" after retirement.

Dear Shri Sangom Sir,

A thought provoking post - most of the points are practical and acceptable - but some or not. What you have mentioned as "Western Culture" and the same has not yet come to India, God willing, we may never want such a culture to come to India. As parents we certainly take pride in educating our children or ensuring they are properly getting married and settled in life. As a parent, I think, it is our duty also. Just leaving the child after certain age and asking them to take care of themselves - sorry to say - there will be a little bit of "missing" love and affection.

Not all the children are like you have mentioned, leaving their parents to die at Kashi. There are still plenty of children (even in next generation) taking adequate care of their parents. What I wanted to convey in my earlier posts are a caution to parents - not to spend their enire wealth either in education or on marriage. With the average age of a person going at 75++, a steady income for a period of 15 years is essential and some planning needs to be done for the same.

I am fully in agreement with you about Doctor earning good income at later age also as compared to an Accountant (I am in the second catagory) and hence this thread is a simple message to all the "Accountant type persons". You have rightly mentioned that a common solution is possible only among the persons with more or less equal level of income, family size, savings etc. As members we do not exchange such information and hence members can take whatever is applicable to them. But these posts certainly give much more view points and hence should be encouraged.

Regards

Venkat K

Retirement ages vary from 58 years to 60 years. The organization where I am working, the retirement age is 60 years. I have my own views regarding extension of employment. Even though in some cases, the company is offering an extension of service by 1 or 2 years, how far it is justified in taking the extension. By accepting extension, are we depriving the position to someone younger to you in age. Also, by keeping the factor of extension in mind, at times, people do not seem to be interested in developing their suboridnates. This sort of practice is not good for the organization. If the extension is in the same present job, in my view, people should not accept the same. If it is some sort of special assignments for a year or two, it is OK.

When I wrote my earlier post, I was sure that having enough savings may not be easy for all. But the main point of my thread is asking all the members to visualize their requirements and taking the steps towards achieving the end results.

Venkat K

Sri. Venkat Sir, Greetings.

By accepting extension of service, we will not be depriving of any youngster their chances. that would only give us the self confidence and boost up the morale. In this cutting edge competitive world, if we can out think and/or out smart youngsters, then we deserve an extension. Secondly, we need the money to retire; youngsters need the money to show off and to enjoy.... I say, go for the kill if we can get it! Youngsters can compete or pack up and go to USA!

Unfortunately, You have skipped that 'spare time for romance' comment. Most parents are so focused on the children welfare and development, they spend most of their time just for their children. They spend about 30 to 40 years only in thinking about their children. seriously after the initial few years of romance, they seldom get anymore opportunity for romance.

All the boys should know this.... soon after menopause, girls ( okay.. women) would get into a renewed glamour period. They would love romance and attention at that period of years.

Boys can retain their physical strength in the 60s too. Recently i punched hardwood and broke a bone.... but I made a dent on that hard wood..... my daughter saw that dent and went "Holy cow!'... you actually made a deep dent!... It was some punch... anyway, about 6 weeks, it has already fused..... within 6 months I can punch again! My point is, Thee is much more in life to enjoy.

My retirement plan....... Take a very long walk ( for 3 to 4 months, starting in one town and just work the way through the south India map)... get back to Aussie land for 6 months.... go to neghibouring countries for couple of months..... always spare time to walk in India...... I am not saving money at all. Get as many houses as possible. Pay them off before retirement..,.. the rental income would take care of the expenses.....
Guys, don't seek more money for medical expenses..... try to get life without medical issues...

Don't eat rice/wheat.... I do eat still.. my wife almost stopped it already... our son doesn't eat much rice at all.. just vegetables ( he is becoming a vegan).... quite tall, all muscles.. we have to change our diet. Our diet is leading us to medical ailments....

If we don't need much money for hospital expenses..... possibly we don't need much money at all.

Nevermind who would look after us when we can't walk etc..... my grand mother kept brisk life style.. walked all over the place... MI ... died in few minutes.... bye bye! I know of few persons.. brisk life style.. lean frame.. just went out like light decoration at a power cut.... all shining and bang!.. gone!

So, guys enjoy life... spare time for romance... enjoy life just for yourselves... nevermind about children... thay can and should look after themselves.

Cheers!

Dear Shri Sangom Sir,

A thought provoking post - most of the points are practical and acceptable - but some or not. What you have mentioned as "Western Culture" and the same has not yet come to India, God willing, we may never want such a culture to come to India. As parents we certainly take pride in educating our children or ensuring they are properly getting married and settled in life. As a parent, I think, it is our duty also. Just leaving the child after certain age and asking them to take care of themselves - sorry to say - there will be a little bit of "missing" love and affection.

Not all the children are like you have mentioned, leaving their parents to die at Kashi. There are still plenty of children (even in next generation) taking adequate care of their parents. What I wanted to convey in my earlier posts are a caution to parents - not to spend their enire wealth either in education or on marriage. With the average age of a person going at 75++, a steady income for a period of 15 years is essential and some planning needs to be done for the same.

I am fully in agreement with you about Doctor earning good income at later age also as compared to an Accountant (I am in the second catagory) and hence this thread is a simple message to all the "Accountant type persons". You have rightly mentioned that a common solution is possible only among the persons with more or less equal level of income, family size, savings etc. As members we do not exchange such information and hence members can take whatever is applicable to them. But these posts certainly give much more view points and hence should be encouraged.

Regards

Venkat K

Dear Shri Venkat,

I like the points raised in the above post. My opinion was based on the motto of this very Forum: "Brahmin Community spread across the entire globe", and I did not want that discussions here completely eliminate the so many not-so-fortunate brahmins who are a reality as I know quite a few of them. I am in the fortunate category with a reasonably good pension and some savings, own independent house which will today fetch, thanks to the building mafia, about a crore of rupees if my sons sell it (I cannot sell because I will not find a better place to live.) and my three sons (no daughters) earning quite well abroad and always ready to help us financially, though, in the name of the so-called dignity we do not take any financial help from them. But discussing our dignified retirement (somewhat like the TV ads for insurance cos) here, we should not end up forming ourselves into an upper class Tabra club; that was the purpose of my post.

IMO, whether we want it or not, the western system of not looking after children till they grow "teeth in their nose" (மூக்கிலெ பல்லு முளைக்கிறது - an adage for overgrowing the proper stage for something in life, in our side) will slowly vanish as the not-so-rich parents start calculating about their retirement in the light of the experience of their seniors in age today, and then decide that it is safer not to spend their very last rupee in making the son/daughter a B.Tech but lower the sights and make them only an ordinary B.A., B.Sc., or something like that (an ITI diploma holder, for example). In fact I will suggest this to the lower income Tabra parents.

It is also an undeniable fact that a boy getting married nowadays has to concentrate only on keeping his wife in good humour and he is singularly unable to render any financial help to his parents, howsoever well he may be earning. And, we fellows shamelessly hide this truth and go on bragging about "how to live with dignity after retirement, etc.", strange! (FYI, two of my sons are single, one divorced one unmarried and does not want marriage, so this problem if at all is only with the one married son.) In another thread about marriage I found people writing that the husband and wife should be left alone and parents should not be a burden to them and things like that.

So, let us face the truth and tell others who have enough time to plan their retired life, to first look after their own future and spend whatever balance may be available, on the children. That may be the sound advice suitable for today's conditions in India atleast.

Dear sangom,

This enlightened self interest attitude was there even during my time, albeit may not be to such extent.

I had a classmate (we are talking 1970s now) who went to usa and took 10 years to finish his phd. It was rather unfortunate, because the guy under whom he was working took a dislike to him, and during the final, literally ripped apart his thesis, the net result was that he had to do his thesis again, another 3 years or so.

The usa university did not give him assistantships anymore. He being only child son, asked his retired father, to dip into his savings/pension fund to help out. The dad refused, saying that he did not depend on his son to take care of the parents. Likewise the son at 27 years should be in a position to handle his own life.

Actually this made the son, face up to the challenge. He managed to get a teaching assignment in a nearby community college and finished his phd part time.

Yes, parents should take care of their retirement, if not for anything else, atleast to maintain their dignity. Extending your hands to ask for money, I think, is rather sad. Any time. I remember the time my maternal grandfather came to live with us during his last years, thoroughly paupered, yet proud. The last vishu we had with him, he had tears in his eyes as he had no money to give his grandchildren any vishu kai nottam.

hi
nice topic....nice discussion....these days will come for everybody.....there is a proverb...THE WISE MAN LEARN FROM OTHER'S

EXPERIENCE....THE FOOL LEARN FROM HIS OWN EXPERIENCES...so we try to learn from others...the reality of life is always sour..

thanks and bow to the all elders .....old age really painful with tears.....even a multi millionair has some problem in the old age...

like mental/physical health problems....money cannot give happiness and unable to protect wealth in the old age....some lucky

guys are there....only karma/fate plays key role....sarve bhavanthu sukinah....sarve santhu nirmayaha....sarve bhadrani

pasyanthu....maa kachit dhukhamapnuyaat....om shanthi...om shanthi....om shathihi....

Dear All,

So, we are nearing some conclusions and learned lot of lessons in this thread. Final takeaway is - give your wealth and savings to your children for their education / marriage ONLY after you ensure a decent inflow of money after your retirement to have a life with dignity after your retirment.

Thanks to all the members who have shared their view points .

Venkat K

Perhaps not many Hindi speakers here, but the Amitabh Bachchan Hema Malini starrer movie "Baghban" might be instructive. Watched it again recently, even the songs are good.

The best way to live with dignity after retirement is to never retire ..
If the body gives in along the way and causes problems disappear somewhere like Himalayas before problems become accute and adopt a homeless Sannyasi lifestyle causing no headaches to anyone :)

The foremost thing one should adopt is do a lot of PRAYER after retirement
Read a lot if your EYEs permit you
TALK less and Always engage your mind with positive energy

Every human is tend to attain this age and Nature cannot wait for any one

I got this by e-mail from one of my cousins. Posting it here, since it is very apt for this discussion!

Almighty God you know that I am growing older.

Keep me from becoming too talkative, and particularly keep me from falling into the tiresome habit of expressing an opinion

on every subject.

Release me from craving to straighten out everyone's affairs. Keep my mind free from recital of endless details. Give me wings

to get to the point.

Give me grace, dear GOD, to listen to others describe their aches and pains [SUP](+++)[/SUP]. Help me endure the boredom with patience

and keep my lips sealed, for my own aches and pains are increasing in number and intensity, and the pleasure of discussing

them is becoming sweeter as the years go by.

Teach me the glorious lesson that occasionally, I might be mistaken. Keep me reasonably sweet. I do not wish to be a saint

(Saints are so hard to live with), but a sour old person is the work of the devil.

Make me thoughtful, but not moody, helpful, but not pushy, independent, yet able to accept with graciousness favors that

others wish to bestow on me.

Free me of the notion that simply because I have lived a long time, I am wiser than those who have not lived so long.

If I do not approve of some of the changes that have taken place in recent years, give me the wisdom to keep my mouth shut.

GOD knows that when the end comes, I would like to have a friend or two left. :grouphug:

The best way to live with dignity after retirement is to never retire ..
If the body gives in along the way and causes problems disappear somewhere like Himalayas before problems become acute and adopt a homeless Sannyasi lifestyle causing no headaches to anyone :)

Dear Sri tks,

I agree with you, but difficult to follow in practical life.

Retirement from what is the question. We can retire from a profession or money making enterprise. But mind never retires from thinking and chatting. I have worked till the age of 72, then gave good-bye to running after money once and for all. I spend my time with my family members who take care of my needs, and help my two lovely grand daughters in their studies.Basically I am a knowledge seeker. The internet and Computer helps me to continue my search for knowledge. Aging is a natural process. It gives dignity and respect. I have no complaint against any one in this regard. I am a staunch believer in the words that "life is an echo" - what you send comes back. Now I clean my self of the cobwebs and dirt that I have gathered in me all these years in the name of Nationality, Religion, Caste, language and community and try to see a new world of love amongst all around me. It is a wonderful world the creator has given us, it is for us to be happy within the parameters available to us.

Oh yes, Among the places I visited I love Himalayas. I have been to holy places in Himalayas many times and stayed in Ashrams. I took a trip to Gangothri and Gohmukh at the age of 70.

Regards,
Brahmanyan,
Bangalore.

Dear Sri tks,

I agree with you, but difficult to follow in practical life.

Retirement from what is the question. We can retire from a profession or money making enterprise. But mind never retires from thinking and chatting. I have worked till the age of 72, then gave good-bye to running after money once and for all. I spend my time with my family members who take care of my needs, and help my two lovely grand daughters in their studies.Basically I am a knowledge seeker. The internet and Computer helps me to continue my search for knowledge. Aging is a natural process. It gives dignity and respect. I have no complaint against any one in this regard. I am a staunch believer in the words that "life is an echo" - what you send comes back. Now I clean my self of the cobwebs and dirt that I have gathered in me all these years in the name of Nationality, Religion, Caste, language and community and try to see a new world of love amongst all around me. It is a wonderful world the creator has given us, it is for us to be happy within the parameters available to us.

Oh yes, Among the places I visited I love Himalayas. I have been to holy places in Himalayas many times and stayed in Ashrams. I took a trip to Gangothri and Gohmukh at the age of 70.

Regards,
Brahmanyan,
Bangalore.

Dear Sri Brahmanyan -

That is a wonderful world view indeed.

Our mind never gets old unless we let that happen.

I still work 60+ hours a week in a senior management role with enormous pressure everyday in trying to achieve results .. However I feel I retired about 8 or 9 years ago mentally and view everyone at work place and outside as friends provided they can understand that. I don't need to work for a living since our needs are small . However I do since I am learning something new everyday. Once work is made into a fun activity for most part it is not work really .. In that sense I retired from the rat race while thriving in a place full of rats :)

I still do my duties with total care and do what is needed without going against what I think are universal principles. Even if I do not do any of this I probably will be busy doing something else. In that sense I never retired.

I am not sure what one can do to maintain good health other than to eat properly and with moderation, have a sense of empathy, meditate regularly and spend lot of time learning..

Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back