• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

How to arrest the slide in TB numbers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Where do you recommend kissing in the 21st century? Have humans changes in 21st century?

Most people start at infancy.
Okay, okay, I know that isn't what you meant, but it does point out that it isn't the kiss that is critical to the answer, but the intent of the kiss. The Bible states, "Greet one another with a holy kiss" (II Corinthians 13:12; see also Romans 16:16; I Corinthians 16:20; I Thessalonians 5:26). Many people put the emphasis on the physical action, the kiss, and thereby miss the intent of the command, which is emphasizing the holiness of the greeting. A kiss is often a greeting given between people of close acquaintances. If you see your Aunt Bertha after several months, you usually expect a hug and a peck on the cheek.
Yet, some greetings can be unholy. When Judas betrayed Jesus, "Immediately he went up to Jesus and said, "Greetings, Rabbi!" and kissed Him" (Matthew 26:49). In this particular case we would have no problem stating that Judas' greeting was not done with a holy kiss; he greeted Christ with impure motives. Similarly, the soldiers mocking Jesus greeted him on bended knees and saluting him (Matthew 27:29; Mark 15:18), but it wasn't sincere or holy. I point out these negative cases to show that greetings can be good or bad and were done in a variety of ways.
I suspect, though, that you are more interested in the kisses between girlfriend and boyfriend. The Song of Solomon opens with the leading woman stating, "Let him kiss me with the kisses of his mouth - for your love is better than wine" (Song of Solomon 1:2). A kiss is a display of affection between two people.
Yet, we must acknowledge that many people kiss with impure motives. The harlot comes up to a naive young man, "So she caught him and kissed him" (Proverbs 7:13). Here the motivation isn't love. A prostitute doesn't care who she is with. "For by means of a harlot a man is reduced to a crust of bread; and an adulteress will prey upon his precious life" (Proverbs 6:26). The prostitute sees men as a way to put bread on the table; thus, her goal in giving a man a kiss is not to express love but to arouse passion because a man who is sexually arouse doesn't think clearly. "Immediately he went after her, as an ox goes to the slaughter, or as a fool to the correction of the stocks" (Proverbs 7:22). Such kissing between unwed couples of any age would be wrong because sexual passion between unmarried people should not be played with.
Too often young people don't realize or ignore the fire with which they are playing. They try to speed up life, and then are shocked with they get burned. The leading woman from the Song of Solomon repeatedly gives this very sound advice, "I charge you, O daughters of Jerusalem, by the gazelles or by the does of the field, do not stir up nor awaken love until it pleases" (Song of Solomon 2:7; 3:5; 8:4). Lasting love develops gently and slowly. When you try to force it, you damage it. Many people want to be in love, so they do the things they "know" people in love do, thinking that this will create love. But the thinking is completely backwards. Love must come first, and then the things people in love do naturally follows.
So when is it appropriate for a girl to kiss a boy? When both care for one another, when they are of an age that they are looking for a mate, when they seriously think that this person is the one, when they are mature enough to keep their passion in check until after they are married, and when they wish to express affection and not lust, then it would appropriate to give someone of the opposite sex a kiss.

http://www.lavistachurchofchrist.org/LVanswers/2006/09-26.htm

Today we went out for lunch at a nearby veggie restaurant. Though slight rain was pouring, the place was almost full. I could

spot many Boston brahmins with their parents from India, like Ram and me!! All the mAmAs and mAmis were wearing jackets

to protect themselves from the cold wind. But the mAmis who were visiting for the first time wore sarees; those who visited for

the second time were in salwar and kameez and the most experenced ones wore jeans and T'shirts! They commented about the

food in Tamil. The movie 'I' was on the TV and youngsters were instructed in English not to see the ugly face shown in the movie.

There were two choices - Buffet or by ordering the items of our choice. We adults had buffet lunch and the kids had roast dosA.

An African American politely asked how many of us are having the buffet lunch and brought moLagAipodi dosAs for all of us!

And........ for the first time in my life, I drank jigarthandA! It was not authentic as per Google search but tasted good.

A nice experience indeed! :)

Today we went out for lunch at a nearby veggie restaurant. Though slight rain was pouring, the place was almost full. I could

spot many Boston brahmins with their parents from India, like Ram and me!! All the mAmAs and mAmis were wearing jackets

to protect themselves from the cold wind. But the mAmis who were visiting for the first time wore sarees; those who visited for

the second time were in salwar and kameez and the most experenced ones wore jeans and T'shirts! They commented about the

food in Tamil. The movie 'I' was on the TV and youngsters were instructed in English not to see the ugly face shown in the movie.

There were two choices - Buffet or by ordering the items of our choice. We adults had buffet lunch and the kids had roast dosA.

An African American politely asked how many of us are having the buffet lunch and brought moLagAipodi dosAs for all of us!

And........ for the first time in my life, I drank jigarthandA! It was not authentic as per Google search but tasted good.

A nice experience indeed! :)
Dresses of indian women change when they go abroad.

The conventional middle aged ones who would not try to wear jeans and tops in india let themselves go in a different country where they are sure they will not be

noticed much by relatives and friends. Convenience and aspirations score over convention in dressing.

Behaviour also undergoes a change. They boldly handhold their mamas in public.lol

One more observation - In this forum, I presume that it is the late 40s and over 50s that bemoan the loss of TB numbers and the fruitfulness of keeping the hoary TB tradition alive. The age is important as it denotes that they have somewhat become financially successful in life and have (or in the process of) worked out a path for their children (eduction and possibly career). So thoughts turn to culture, customs, traditions and spirituality. This is somewhat similar to Maslow's theory.

Anybody in this forum who is under 30 or under 40 and who shares the opinion of strict TB culture etc etc ? Those who agree should also be practicing ! Would also help to know the gender of the member, if revealing that is not an issue.

I think we should take a poll just as we did for the ic & ir statistics. That would reveal the correct wavelength.

For the record I am about to touch 40 (technically in my late 30s). :)

Last edited:
Thumbs up for post#577 prasadji .Keep it up.
I thought it was only for x tians! :D

icon3.png
May be...... We can learn from the third part of ThirukkuraL, to love in the Hindu way. :hug:

............ 1. Anybody in this forum who is under 30 or under 40 and who shares the opinion of strict TB culture etc etc ?

2.Those who agree should also be practicing !

3.Would also help to know the gender of the member, if revealing that is not an issue. ...
1. You might the ONLY active member <40! Ravi is not to be seen now a days. :spy:

2. Do members tell (type) truth and ONLY truth? :)

3. Gender? Difficult to find. Not many post their pictures or videos in our forum!

The strict Tambrahm culture keeps on changing. The madi and AchAram followed by our grandfathers changed a bit in our

parent's time and now it had modified a lot. Kerala brahmins were not taking coffee before bath in olden days, whereas some

kezhakEththu brahmins used to even light swami lamp soon after brushing the teeth and washing hands and legs. My younger

co-sister does that even now. But I light the swami lamp only after bath - my parents are Tamil speaking Vadama brahmins

from Kerala. So, it is difficult to define what is tambrahm culture exactly. It is very orthodox in a very few households but

the tradition modifies in each family. :)

My observations:

1. Ego is common in brahmins and they think what they do IS always right! :thumb:

2. Those who know slOkams and Hindi think they are the greatest! ;)

It is a belief that AcharyAs can change the brahmins to lead a simple life! With soaring prices and fees in the institutions, right

from the kindergarten, how is it possible NOT to earn more? One of our members is willing to shift to another city just to enable

her d i l to earn a few lakhs every year. A very practical solution. Nothing can be achieved without money.

BTW, I have seen that the rich mAmAs get more attention and respect in mutts and the head of the mutt talks only to such persons.
How else can the mutts generate money? :popcorn:

BTW, I have seen that the rich mAmAs get more attention and respect in mutts and the head of the mutt talks only to such persons.
How else can the mutts generate money? :popcorn:
I dont want to create controversy, but one head of the mutt, in one of his visits to combatore had visited my friend's house. It was a dolo ceremony there. The head directly started asking my friend's father about his finances and when he learnt that one of his son was in the US, he immediately asked him to send more money to the mutt. As blatant as that.

Everybody, including the heads, is aware that money has the most vociferous voice. And they make sure that some of the sound is diverted to their cause.

True. How else can the mutts generate money?

Last edited:
1. You might the ONLY active member <40! Ravi is not to be seen now a days. :spy:

3. Gender? Difficult to find. Not many post their pictures or videos in our forum!

If the young do not participate, the talk of resolution, ideas, movement, etc etc are just "thinnai pecchu" by the older generation who seem to have suddenly attained some new found enlightenment, after attending to all their finances (in India, and elsewhere) and seek to bolster support for their "spiritual and community outlook".

It is similar to the trend of Judges in India who, post retirement, open their conscience to talk about the injustice that happened during their service period. Had they blown the whistle earlier, they know very well, that they would not have survived in their career. So when one's individual needs are satisfied, he/she looks to the next level without empathy.

I think the most active participant, who has a full time career is Renu. :thumb:

Whenever she gets a break in work, she is busy :typing: in forum!

Such is the intoxication!! ;)

When my naughty nephew, as a kid, fell down from a table and had a cut in his tiny chin, he needed two sutures.

We rushed to the hospital run by my brother's junior and friend. Soon after the treatment was over, he asked the mom

where her husband was working. She said, 'Singampunari', which the doctor heard as Singapore! Immediately he said,

'Then give my fees in Singapore dollars'!!

I dont want to create controversy, but one head of the mutt, in one of his visits to combatore had visited my friend's house. It was a dolo ceremony there. The head directly started asking my friend's father about his finances and when he learnt that one of his son was in the US, he immediately asked him to send more money to the mutt. As blatant as that.

Everybody, including the heads, is aware that money has the most vociferous voice. And they make sure that some of the sound is diverted to their cause.

True. How else can the mutts generate money?

This will address both concerns - posting of photographs and donations to mutts

I freqent this picturesque mutt in Theni started by Omkarnanda - Basically nothing is changed for food and stay Can you check out free after enjoying their hospitality? Yes donations accepted on check out matching their hospitality but definitely no demands made! (File Phot s

My B in L from -- Melbourn enjoying Mullaiperiar flowing behind the ashram!

View attachment 5562

Students of Padasaala !

View attachment 5563

with my S in L

View attachment 5564

Does everybody who don the upanayanam know the meaning of maha samkalpam done on avaniavittam day? A lot of tb culture is hidden there.

Does everybody who don the upanayanam know the meaning of maha samkalpam done on avaniavittam day? A lot of tb culture is hidden there.

Maha sankalpam gives better or elaborate geographical co-ordinates of the place where the upakarma is being done and the time of action is specified in the Hindu astronomical/astrological time frame of nakshatra, thithi, month, year (Jupitarian year), yuga etc.

Which aspect of TB culture is hidden in the sankalpam, can you please elaborate? The audio link for mahA sankalpam is here and the language used is simple sandhi-viched samskrutam, so it is quite easy to follow.

http://play.raaga.com/tamil/song/al...with-Home-Vidhi-TD02915/Maha-Sankalpam-430287

One more observation - In this forum, I presume that it is the late 40s and over 50s that bemoan the loss of TB numbers and the fruitfulness of keeping the hoary TB tradition alive. The age is important as it denotes that they have somewhat become financially successful in life and have (or in the process of) worked out a path for their children (eduction and possibly career). So thoughts turn to culture, customs, traditions and spirituality. This is somewhat similar to Maslow's theory.

Anybody in this forum who is under 30 or under 40 and who shares the opinion of strict TB culture etc etc ? Those who agree should also be practicing ! Would also help to know the gender of the member, if revealing that is not an issue.

I think we should take a poll just as we did for the ic & ir statistics. That would reveal the correct wavelength.

I have serious doubts about representative nature of TBs participating and exchanging notes in this forum as being truly representative of TB community as a whole. There are no more than 30 participating members who exchange views, though the site has a membership of at least a few thousands. I also have doubts about the large scale silent non posting majority, because even thumbs-up/down and like/dislike marking (in the past) are rarely clicked by the READ ONLY members.

Of the 30 odd contributing members, I do not suppose even 20 reside in Tamil Nadu proper through out the year. Visitors generally glean bird view information during their short stay moving mostly within their circle of relatives and associates and their inputs may not be totally authentic. Further most contributors are from upwardly mobile middle class with urban bias.

For the record I am about to touch 40 (technically in my late 30s). :)

May be there is a possibility or likelyhood that in about 15-20 years time, you too would start to have the same concerns the members express here about future generation :)

Maha sankalpam gives better or elaborate geographical co-ordinates of the place where the upakarma is being done and the time of action is specified in the Hindu astronomical/astrological time frame of nakshatra, thithi, month, year (Jupitarian year), yuga etc.

Which aspect of TB culture is hidden in the sankalpam, can you please elaborate? The audio link for mahA sankalpam is here and the language used is simple sandhi-viched samskrutam, so it is quite easy to follow.

http://play.raaga.com/tamil/song/al...with-Home-Vidhi-TD02915/Maha-Sankalpam-430287

After the latitude and longitude is established using google map in the maha samkalpam, there begins an explanation of the type of sins that a brahmana may have committed by thought, word or deed including women, surabhanam, non-veg, and including brahma hatthi dosham.
मम इहजन्मनि पूर्वजन्मसु मया क्रुतानाम् ब्रह्म्नहत्यादि सवर्णस्तेय सुराबान शास्त्र अबिकमानादीनाम् विद्वत् बाल्येवयसि कौमारे यौवने वार्धके जाग्रत् स्वप्न सुशुप्ति अवस्तासु मनोवाक्काय कर्मेन्द्रिय व्यापारै ज्ञानेन्द्रिय व्यापारैश्च सम्सर्ग निमित्तानाम् भूयोभूय​: अभ्यस्तानाम् तत्रतत्र गर्भोद्बत्ति निमित्तानाम् तत्सहभोजन तत् उच्चिष्ट भक्षण गो वध​ पश्वादि प्राणिवध​ निमित्तानाम् स्त्री शूद्र विट्क्षत्रिय वध मित्तानाम् अयुग्दलवण पक्वान्न​ मधुक्षीर तिल तैल माम्स मूलभल साग रक्तवास स्वर्ण कम्बळादि विक्रिय निमित्तानाम् अश्वादिवाहन इक्षुकाण्ड धातक​ परापवादनपृतगाद्यापन असत्प्रतिग्रह्ण वृक्षच्छेदन​ धान्य रौभ्य पशुस्तेय वार्दुशि करण शूद्रसेवा शूद्र प्रेश्य हीनजातीप्रतिग्रह हीनसख्य​ पङ्तिभेदन भागभेदन परान्नभोजन असश्शास्त्रालाभ क्रमादिकार मडादिकार पौरोहित्य परीक्षा पक्षपादक तडाकाराम विक्रय तडाकविच्छेदकादि समपातकानाम् ज्ञानत: सकृत्कृतानाम् अज्ञानत: असकृत्कृतानाम् ज्ञानत: अज्ञानतस्च अभ्यस्तानाम् अध्यन्त अभ्यस्तानाम् निरन्तर अभ्यस्तानाम् निरन्तर चिराभ्यस्तानाम् चिरकाल​ अभ्यस्तानाम् शङ्कलीकरणानाम् मलनीकरणानाम् अपात्रीकरणानाम् जातिभ्रम्शकरणानाम् अविहित कर्माचरण विहितकर्म त्यागधीनाम् भ्रगीर्णकानाम् उप पादकानाम् महापादकानाम् सम्पादकानाम् एवम् नवानाम् नवविधानाम् बहूनाम् बहूविधानाम् सर्वेषाम् पापानाम् अपनोदनद्वारा अयाज्य याजना असत्प्रतिग्रह अभक्ष्या भक्षणा अभोज्य भोजना अपेय पेयाधि समस्त पापक्षयार्थम् सेतु माधव काल भैरव सीता लक्ष्मण भरत शत्रुग्ण हनूमत् समेत​ श्री रामचन्द्र स्वामि सन्निधौ मम इष्ट देवता कुलदेवता स्वामि सन्निधौ समस्त हरिहर देवता सन्निधौ देव ब्राह्मण सन्निधौ श्रावण्याम् पौर्णमास्याम् अध्याय उपाकर्मा करिष्ये ततंगम् माध्यान्निक स्नानमहम् करिष्ये

It is clear that when a brahmana is asked to repeat the mahasamkalpam to cleanse himself of the sins that he may have committed, we are no more an elite or pious clan as is generally thought of. The various facades of purity and obscure rituals are just to thwart off any notion that would open them up as mere mortals of flesh and blood.

Last edited:
May be there is a possibility or likelyhood that in about 15-20 years time, you too would start to have the same concerns the members express here about future generation :)
may be in that time, you would become like the current "me" ... :) :D

After the latitude and longitude is established using google map in the maha samkalpam, there begins an explanation of the type of sins that a brahmana may have committed by thought, word or deed including women, surabhanam, non-veg, and including brahma hatthi dosham.

It is clear that when a brahmana is asked to repeat the mahasamkalpam to cleanse himself of the sins that he may have committed, we are no more an elite or pious clan as is generally thought of. The various facades of purity and obscure rituals are just to thwart off any notion that would open them up as mere mortals of flesh and blood.

Oh!! I thought there was something special or peculiar to TBs. Actually the idea of of seeking penance or forgivenness is good but this mahAsankalpam enters into mahA-verbosity by including "sushupta" avasta when even mind is supposed to be at rest incapable of thoughts and includes sins of pUrva-janmam etc. for which chitra-guptan has already made notations in our ledger :). To me it appears to be a google data base of possible sins, but there are some omissions like only stealing of gold is mentioned, but not silver etc.

Why ask for forgivenness of sins of past janmAs every year is also something I cannot understand.

I would like to think that ritual purity is restored after the sins are confessed to and prayaschittam is done, so would not so readily concede it is a facade, because it also includes the provision of sins committed inadvertently. Another way to look at it could be that in the previous janmam one need not necessarily have been a brahmaNan.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back