• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

How Tamil Brahmins handle the dehumanizing hatred in Dravidian social mileau

Other countries?
No..its not like that in other countries.
which country are you talking about?
Btw Tamil Brahmin priests from India do very well in Malaysia..they are treated like Kings by people here and are paid very well by temple goers for homas and rites and rituals.
Renuka,

Dominating and ill-treating the under privileged has been happening from time immemorial and everywhere. It is not unique to India. A facade of equality is being projected by western countries though the exploitation is happening both covertly and overtly.

Renuka,

Dominating and ill-treating the under privileged has been happening from time immemorial and everywhere. It is not unique to India. A facade of equality is being projected by western countries though the exploitation is happening both covertly and overtly.
Sravna,
No one is denied entry into any temple in other countries due to their caste.

I would say the innate behavior of Tamil Brahmins are coming in the way of picking up cudgels on behalf of the community. Being harmonious, righteous & God fearing and at the same time docile may not help the community to take destructive hate head on. . I have tried to put in a list of suggestions. Remember that addressing hate and discrimination is a long-term endeavor that requires patience(that we possess tons of), persistence, and collaboration. It's essential to promote positive change through peaceful and constructive means, working towards a more inclusive and harmonious society for all. Look forward to your comments.

1. Remove your apathy and indifference: We have to be ferocious & our parents need to inculcate the fearlessness amongst us. We have a role to play in inculcating this amongst our children, our relatives and friends circle. I am not advocating that we should turn violent. Where we are being discriminated and our rights trampled let us not take lying down. We should have the ability to stand on our legs and use our communication skills to the hilt & deal with the difficult situation directly instead of running away (avoiding it) or procrastinating (I have something else urgent or important)
2. Community Engagement: Engage with the broader Tamil community in a positive way. Foster connections and relationships with individuals from different backgrounds to break down barriers and build bridges. You can take the help of nationalist organizations like RSS, Hindu Munnani when you are stuck (I consciously omitted Political parties )
3. Advocacy and Representation: While it's a significant challenge, work towards representation in politics and other decision-making bodies. Encourage young members of the community to pursue careers in politics or civil service.
4. Dialogue and Communication: Encourage open and constructive dialogue with those who may hold negative views. Seek common ground and foster understanding through respectful communication.
5. Legal Recourse: If hate speech or discrimination escalates to legal issues, consider seeking legal recourse. Consult with lawyers and organizations specializing in civil rights and discrimination cases. I remember how one DMK member who advocated violence against Tamil Brahmins was taken to court by Dr Subramanian Swamy and that person has now become silent
6. Community Solidarity: Encourage unity and support within the Hindu community. Building a strong network of support can help individuals cope with hate and discrimination.
7. Education and Awareness: Encourage education about the history and culture of Tamil Nadu. This can help dispel misconceptions and stereotypes. Promote understanding of the rich contributions of Tamil Brahmins to the region's culture and society.
8. Education and Career Development: Prioritize education and career development within the community. A well-educated and economically empowered community can be more resilient to discrimination. How many of the poor amongst Tamil Brahmins are availing the 10% EWS reservations? (Only for Central Government jobs as the State Government is against its implementation)
9. Mental Health Support: Encourage members of the community to seek mental health support if they are dealing with the emotional toll of discrimination. This could involve counseling or therapy. I remember Annamalai University used to be the fountain head of anti Brahmins movement with strong sentiments.
10. Advocate for Inclusivity: Encourage policies and initiatives at the regional and national levels that promote inclusivity and diversity, ensuring that discrimination is legally and socially unacceptable.
11. Positive Role Models: Highlight the achievements and contributions of successful Tamil Brahmins who can serve as role models for the younger generation. Really appreciate the role being played by Rangaraj Pandey, Badri Seshadri (who was unfortunately incarcerated for a short period) in this

Last edited:
Ganesh Sir,

Brahmins are sattvic. Let them be so as that is their strength. Let them be wise and pursue knowledge. I think for most of the brahmins life is normal. As Renuka says dalits and the poorest sections are lot more affected by hate. Brahmins are not violent and so are not targets of violence.

I suggest that Initiatives be taken by brahmins to guide and shape those who voluntarily want to enhance their self. They can impart their wisdom in many ways to make the society a less violent and safe place. I would say that violence is the last resort of the wise.

Ganesh Sir,

Brahmins are sattvic. Let them be so as that is their strength. Let them be wise and pursue knowledge. I think for most of the brahmins life is normal. As Renuka says dalits and the poorest sections are lot more affected by hate. Brahmins are not violent and so are not targets of violence.

I suggest that Initiatives be taken by brahmins to guide and shape those who voluntarily want to enhance their self. They can impart their wisdom in many ways to make the society a less violent and safe place. I would say that violence is the last resort of the wise.
I agree with Sravna.
May be the Brahmin religious leaders should take the lead to change the mindset about other caste behaving violently towards Dalits and not allowing them into temples.

In the case of the temple in Erode not allowing Dalits to enter the temple..who was the priest? It was a Mariamman temple so the priest most probably was not a Brahmin..so no idea how much is he under the orders of the dominant caste there.

The only way to put an end to this discrimination is to make religious leaders come forward to educate people that God does not get defiled by the entry of any type of human into the temple.

If the temple still doesnt comply, legal action should be taken but at the same time keep a watch that it doesnt escalate into violence.

Dalits are usually not anti Brahmin because its not the Brahmin who behaves violently towards them.

Ganesh Sir,

Tamil Brahmins (TB's) have abhorred violence & I am not advocating violence either. It is very demeaning to be a Tamil Brahmin in TN & see organized hatred against the community. You want TB's to display apathy & indifference (point 1 that I mentioned) in my post above.

Tamil Brahmins (TB's) have abhorred violence & I am not advocating violence either. It is very demeaning to be a Tamil Brahmin in TN & see organized hatred against the community. You want TB's to display apathy & indifference (point 1 that I mentioned) in my post above.
No Sir I am not displaying apathy and indifference. I am saying what is being perceived as weakness of Brahmins which is being docile can also be construed as maturity. That is a weapon by itself. You don't need to brandish a sword or a gun to fight. But I am not also not advocating that approach at all times. If the situation turns harmful or threatening to physical self then Brahmins need to counter it in a different way. But as I see there are no signs of it.

Now I would advocate Brahmins to continue to display their maturity and not escalate.

Violence or aggressive attitude needs to be used only when you are dealing with inveterate violent people and that the violence is aimed at you. As a leader you may advocate violence when violence is aimed by people who are inveterate and with vested interests, on the society. You may have to mobilize support for your cause to counter violence. Just like Rajni in Jailer, Renuka!

Last edited:
Dear Ganesh Sir,

Thanks for sharing a few snippets of the hate speeches made on Tamil Brahmins. They are indeed very vitriolic and seem deep rooted. You made some good suggestions of how to counter them.

As one of the suggestions you advocate that fearlessness needs to be inculcated during formative years of children. Very good one. This prompts me to say that all right qualities need to be inculcated. In addition to courage, compassion, hardwork, honesty, patience etc balanced by qualities such as shrewdness and pragmatism when required. It is necessary that children imbibe all this in a real and practical environment so that they are naturally and effectively be able to employ them.

There needs to be serious efforts made in this direction. The logic and nuances of dharma with Lord Krishna as the model needs to be popularized. We need to extrapolate and extend Krishna's approach and make it workable in the current era.

I am almost ready to take this up as full time. I am planning on a coordinated social scientific and technological spiritual political economic paradigm and its implementation. All said and done, Gods grace is essential which I am sure will not be lacking.

Violence or aggressive attitude needs to be used only when you are dealing with inveterate violent people and that the violence is aimed at you. As a leader you may advocate violence when violence is aimed by people who are inveterate and with vested interests, on the society. You may have to mobilize support for your cause to counter violence. Just like Rajni in Jailer, Renuka!

Everything sounds like Palestine vs Israel...is there really a war going on in TN?
I am seeing all the names of top scientist in ISRO and its a healthy mix of every community from TN and also other states.
May be the problem of anti Brahmin is with the lesser educated society.

Everything sounds like Palestine vs Israel...is there really a war going on in TN?
I am seeing all the names of top scientist in ISRO and its a healthy mix of every community from TN and also other states.
No Madam...Very educated guys have fallen for the anti Brahmin propaganda and no action is being taken by the Police as they are hand in gloves with the perpetrators! Issue is that majority of the civil society of non brahmins is keeping silent on this vicious and slanderous disinformation!

No Madam...Very educated guys have fallen for the anti Brahmin propaganda and no action is being taken by the Police as they are hand in gloves with the perpetrators! Issue is that majority of the civil society of non brahmins is keeping silent on this vicious and slanderous disinformation!
Then law and order has to step up..In Malaysia if anyone makes any form of hate videos about any religion or culture or race on social media, they are arrested right away.
India overall has too much freedom which to some extent is bad.

Then law and order has to step up..In Malaysia if anyone makes any form of hate videos about any religion or culture or race on social media, they are arrested right away.
India overall has too much freedom which to some extent is bad.
Recently an MP and a leader of political party from Tamilnadu visited Malaysia to attend a conference on tamil literature and development. He spoke derogarately about hinduism (he used the term Sanaatanam but the audience understood he meant hinduism). A verbal attack on brahmins and sanatana dharma and display of extreme hatred against brahmins is a routine thing in tamilnadu. The tamil audience in Malaysia though did not take the abuse lightly. I don't know the statistics but a vast majority of the tamil audience must have been non-brahmins only. One of the organizers criticized the MP then and there. A woman minister of the govt, who also happens to be a Tamil, who attended the conference warned that such attacks against a religion or race is not tolerated in Malaysia. The minister said a conference that is arranged for the development of Tamil should not be misused to abuse Hindus or Hinduism or any other religion. I was quite surprised by this.

Recently an MP and a leader of political party from Tamilnadu visited Malaysia to attend a conference on tamil literature and development. He spoke derogarately about hinduism (he used the term Sanaatanam but the audience understood he meant hinduism). A verbal attack on brahmins and sanatana dharma and display of extreme hatred against brahmins is a routine thing in tamilnadu. The tamil audience in Malaysia though did not take the abuse lightly. I don't know the statistics but a vast majority of the tamil audience must have been non-brahmins only. One of the organizers criticized the MP then and there. A woman minister of the govt, who also happens to be a Tamil, who attended the conference warned that such attacks against a religion or race is not tolerated in Malaysia. The minister said a conference that is arranged for the development of Tamil should not be misused to abuse Hindus or Hinduism or any other religion. I was quite surprised by this.
Dear Sir,
Malaysian Indians especially Tamils take Hinduism very seriously.
They dont follow the Dravidian ideology.
They respect temple priest and if the priests are Tamil Brahmins from India, they are respected even more.

In Malaysia, the law is very strict..any type of hate speech is met with a jail sentence.

Majority of Msian Indians are Non Brahmins but no hate is seen againsts Brahmins of any kind.

In Malaysia the culture is different because law and order is strict and we also have Monarchy and state Sultans who advice the subjects from time to time.

It is most certainly NOT. Anti-brahmin hatred in Tamilnadu is solely the handiwork of elite sections of tamil society. They are the beneficiaries of the hatemongering. They oppress people below them and then.blame the brahmins.

I recently learnt that such hatred is absent or much less pronounced among malaysian tamils! Whether it stays like this or whether Dravidian influence will permeate tamil society everywhere -'only time will tell!

It is most certainly NOT. Anti-brahmin hatred in Tamilnadu is solely the handiwork of elite sections of tamil society. They are the beneficiaries of the hatemongering. They oppress people below them and then.blame the brahmins.

I recently learnt that such hatred is absent or much less pronounced among malaysian tamils! Whether it stays like this or whether Dravidian influence will permeate tamil society everywhere -'only time will tell!
The Dravidian ideology is absent.
No one follows the hate ideology.
We have three races here..Malays, Chinese and Indians and all three have their own culture, religion etc and a combined culture.

Also Tamils here are very into rituals and astrology, bharathanatyam etc.
Most of them regularly conduct homas at home.

They take religion seriously at times a bit too superstitious.

Mostly its about themselves and God..so there is no place for hatred.

Believe me, the hate ideology wont stand a chance here.
The people here lead their own lives.

Speeches condemning well known criminals is fine. As an extreme case speaking negative about Hitler would not be disapproved. Wisdom and facts have to used in assessing the context of the speech also.

But the ones that are happening in tamilnadu seem more or less like intrinsic hate than for valid reasons. The inculcation of higher qualities I that was talking about is for all children and not just for brahmin children.

Lets hope we can smoothly and amicably address the problem.

I agree with Sravna.
May be the Brahmin religious leaders should take the lead to change the mindset about other caste behaving violently towards Dalits and not allowing them into temples.

In the case of the temple in Erode not allowing Dalits to enter the temple..who was the priest? It was a Mariamman temple so the priest most probably was not a Brahmin..so no idea how much is he under the orders of the dominant caste there.

The only way to put an end to this discrimination is to make religious leaders come forward to educate people that God does not get defiled by the entry of any type of human into the temple.

If the temple still doesnt comply, legal action should be taken but at the same time keep a watch that it doesnt escalate into violence.

Dalits are usually not anti Brahmin because its not the Brahmin who behaves violently towards them.
Brahmins are priests mostly in Saivite and Vaishnavite temples only. Almost all these temples come under TNHRCE and in none of these temples entry for SC people is banned or restricted. Even in temples which are not under TNHRCE which may be operating under a trust with brahmin members, there is no restriction on temple entry. That these temples are located in cities and urban areas may also help where such blatant caste discrimination is not possible.

So the cases one hears are mostly in villages. More often than not they are private temples built and run by some non-brahmin community. They claim that it is their private or community temple and they have the right to restrict entry to anyone. There are some exceptions. For example, the case of muthalamman temple which came to light this year was actually under TNHRCE. Yet SCs were denied entry for almost 70 years.

Brahmin religious leaders have no role to.play here because TNHRCE is under dravidian govts which are virulently anti-brahmin.

Latest ads

Back