• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

How is being a Brahmin good or bad in India?

Disclaimer: This I am reproducing word for word from Quora. This response is from Avdhoot Mohite and was viewed by 57,200 people.

How is being a Brahmin is good or bad in India?

Avdhoot Mohite
Avdhoot Mohite

Updated Dec 22
https://www.quora.com/#

I'm not a Brahmin, I'm a Maratha but I think I can give answer based on my observations of last few years.
Being a Brahmin in today's India is like being a Jew in 1930s Germany. Jews were a very small percentage of Germany's population, and were blamed for all problems of the german society.Today in India same thing is happening. Brahmins are being made scapegoat for all problems of society, despite being a very small percentage of the population. Brahmins are not even rich or powerful. Most of them are middle class like everybody else and many are poor priests who earn living by religious ceremonies like marriage. Brahmins do not have any reservations nor they are given any special subsidies by government. Yet they are blamed for everything.

Communists, Islamic radicals and all anti-Hindu groups of are constantly bashing and hating Brahmins. They are being made scapegoats for everything like the jews were made in Germany.

Adi Shankaracharya, A brahmin from Kerala, revived the Vedic religion with his sheer will, intelligence and debating power. It was the Brahmins who preserved and saved the knowledge of Vedas, Upnishads, Brahma Sutras, Bhagvad Gita through a 1000 year slavery of Islamic invaders and British colonialists. It was the Brahmins who kept (and are still keeping) the Sanskrit language alive.

The person who spread the Maratha empire to it’s largest size and destroyed the Mughal empire was a Brahmin (Bajirao Peshwa). It was a brahmin ( Bajiprabhu Deshpande) who saved Raja Shivaji's life in pawan khind.

Brahmins are the links that are connecting us to the ancient Vedic civilization. Without Brahmins, the Vedic civilization would have died out like the Persian, Greek, Egyptian, Roman and many other dead civilizations. Hindus of all castes fought to save our religion, but Brahmins were the ones who saved the core texts and traditions of Vedic Dharm. The invaders burned universities, libraries and destroyed countless temples, but vedic traditions still survived because of the Brahmin community.
There is a saying in english “To kill a snake, cut it's head off.” Similarly, to kill Hindu religion, destroy all Brahmins.

The anti-Hindu forces in India know this and that is why they are going after Brahmins like Nazis went after Jews in the 40s.
A lot of people are bringing up that low castes have been mistreated by Brahmins in the past. That's true and I oppose caste discrimination. But everyone ignores that all Hindus, Buddhists, Jains have been treated worse by Islamic rulers. Brahmins never led genocidal campaigns against anyone like the Islamic invaders did.

Brahmins were only powerful in the early Vedic period 2500 years ago. After birth of Buddhism in 500 BC, Indians rejected the authority of Brahmins and slowly converted to Buddhism. Buddhism was majority religion for a long time until 8th century when Shankaracharya revived the Vedic religion. Only 200 years after that the Islamic invasions started and india became a colony of Islamic rulers. After end of Mughal empire, the British colonialists quickly took over all the power.

Brahmins have not been in position of power for last 1000 years in India. All political, economical and administrative power was consolidated in the hands of Islamic emperors and then the British. Most of the poverty and inequality in today's India is result of colonialism and capitalism. Why Brahmins are blamed for the conditions created by Foreign invaders and colonialists?

57.2k views · View Upvoters · View Sharers · Answer requested by Aloknath Patra

Disclaimer: This I am reproducing word for word from Quora. This response is from Avdhoot Mohite and was viewed by 57,200 people.

How is being a Brahmin is good or bad in India?

Avdhoot Mohite
Avdhoot Mohite

Updated Dec 22
https://www.quora.com/#

I'm not a Brahmin, I'm a Maratha but I think I can give answer based on my observations of last few years.
Being a Brahmin in today's India is like being a Jew in 1930s Germany. Jews were a very small percentage of Germany's population, and were blamed for all problems of the german society.Today in India same thing is happening. Brahmins are being made scapegoat for all problems of society, despite being a very small percentage of the population. Brahmins are not even rich or powerful. Most of them are middle class like everybody else and many are poor priests who earn living by religious ceremonies like marriage. Brahmins do not have any reservations nor they are given any special subsidies by government. Yet they are blamed for everything.

Communists, Islamic radicals and all anti-Hindu groups of are constantly bashing and hating Brahmins. They are being made scapegoats for everything like the jews were made in Germany.

Adi Shankaracharya, A brahmin from Kerala, revived the Vedic religion with his sheer will, intelligence and debating power. It was the Brahmins who preserved and saved the knowledge of Vedas, Upnishads, Brahma Sutras, Bhagvad Gita through a 1000 year slavery of Islamic invaders and British colonialists. It was the Brahmins who kept (and are still keeping) the Sanskrit language alive.

The person who spread the Maratha empire to it’s largest size and destroyed the Mughal empire was a Brahmin (Bajirao Peshwa). It was a brahmin ( Bajiprabhu Deshpande) who saved Raja Shivaji's life in pawan khind.

Brahmins are the links that are connecting us to the ancient Vedic civilization. Without Brahmins, the Vedic civilization would have died out like the Persian, Greek, Egyptian, Roman and many other dead civilizations. Hindus of all castes fought to save our religion, but Brahmins were the ones who saved the core texts and traditions of Vedic Dharm. The invaders burned universities, libraries and destroyed countless temples, but vedic traditions still survived because of the Brahmin community.
There is a saying in english “To kill a snake, cut it's head off.” Similarly, to kill Hindu religion, destroy all Brahmins.

The anti-Hindu forces in India know this and that is why they are going after Brahmins like Nazis went after Jews in the 40s.
A lot of people are bringing up that low castes have been mistreated by Brahmins in the past. That's true and I oppose caste discrimination. But everyone ignores that all Hindus, Buddhists, Jains have been treated worse by Islamic rulers. Brahmins never led genocidal campaigns against anyone like the Islamic invaders did.

Brahmins were only powerful in the early Vedic period 2500 years ago. After birth of Buddhism in 500 BC, Indians rejected the authority of Brahmins and slowly converted to Buddhism. Buddhism was majority religion for a long time until 8th century when Shankaracharya revived the Vedic religion. Only 200 years after that the Islamic invasions started and india became a colony of Islamic rulers. After end of Mughal empire, the British colonialists quickly took over all the power.

Brahmins have not been in position of power for last 1000 years in India. All political, economical and administrative power was consolidated in the hands of Islamic emperors and then the British. Most of the poverty and inequality in today's India is result of colonialism and capitalism. Why Brahmins are blamed for the conditions created by Foreign invaders and colonialists?

57.2k views · View Upvoters · View Sharers · Answer requested by Aloknath Patra
Very interesting analysis. If only we Brahmins take pride in our own culture and traditions. When I say take pride doesn't mean that we should denigrate other castes / religions.
It is the responsibility of this generation to keep the traditions / culture alive, so that it is passed on to generations to come, as we had inherited from our parents and grand parents and so on.
There are so many families who are poor among us, who dont get any social benefit only because they are Brahmins. Can we do something for them too? Can we handhold them in whatever way possible?
Despite scoring very good marks our children do not get admission in good colleges.. well that is a bigger problem which merits separate discussion!
I think we should do something for our poor brothers and sisters! I am sure that many are doing in their own ways, in helping the needy. But still I feel there is a need to do more. Unless we help them, they dont have anyone else to help because they are not a potential vote bank!

Latest ads

Back