• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

historical chennai

Status
Not open for further replies.

kunjuppu

it was early 1960s when one of my friends in madras, was cleaning house. among the various magazines that were thrown out, was one, a monthly published, by the british housewives of madras.

madras during wartime 1939-45, was a hotbed of military activity. not only were there huge recruitments to the indian army, but also british and american soldiers used our city as a transit point and R&R spot.

ofcourse the magazine did not mention the roaring business done in the brothels. except, i remember a serial in kalki, about a slum boy, very black and 'ugly', who had a rough life. i forget the name of the serial or the hero's name, except that his father was a black american solider and his mother a prostitute.

The Hindu : Life & Style / Metroplus : Madras Miscellany - Madras and the 1857 Revolt

the above article is another facet of historic madras. how did madras behave during the 1857 mutiny? it is interesting, for this is the first time, i am reading anywhere about the population groups being split across religious lines.

apparently according to this article, there were echoes of rebellion, among the tamil muslims across tamil nadu. of the christians and hindus, nothing is said. i guess, their anti british awareness came only with gandhi.

"apparently according to this article, there were echoes of rebellion, among the tamil muslims across tamil nadu. of the christians and hindus, nothing is said."

K:

The article is very interesting - vast majority of the Hindus, perhaps, were not bothered about the English - for them "Raman Aanda Enna... Ravanan Aanda Enna? All the same.. whether it is Muslims or Christians from England... all the same!

Lol..

Cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back