• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Hinduism .. a write up

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is better to learn the hard way than to ask questions and get answers here. நோகாமல் நுங்கு தின்ன முயல்வது உடம்புக்குக் கேடு. LOL.[/QUOTE

With no pain by a click sitting in my room I can have that Chidambaram story Are they claimed as vedas?

Don't ask questions it is uncomfortable take my advice name your son Naryana Call him if you need நாெங்கு in your mouth with no pain or efforts!

It is better to learn the hard way than to ask questions and get answers here. நோகாமல் நுங்கு தின்ன முயல்வது உடம்புக்குக் கேடு. LOL.[/QUOTE

With no pain by a click sitting in my room I can have that Chidambaram story Are they claimed as vedas?

Don't ask questions it is uncomfortable take my advice name your son Naryana Call him if you need நாெங்கு in your mouth with no pain or efforts!

Ask the question to a Dikshitar. He will answer you whether it is Veda or not. Then come here and make it known to other interested individuals. It appears we have here an expert who can convert abstract entities like Narayana into physical juicy entities like Nungu. LOL.

A small doubt: Does calling Narayana not involve any effort? LOL.

Fortunately the word Narayana does not rhyme with the word Nungu. Otherwise the members here would have been treated by the TRR of the forum with some funny, rhyming string of words. LOL. Siva Siva.

I believe that each person understands religion and God in his own way according to the state of his jivatma. Some go by faith, some try to reason and some others directly see the truth. So there is no one right way to understand God or to pray.

Having said this I would say one should most importantly try to understand one's true nature . Though ultimately the Atman is one's true nature, understanding the jivatma and how it syncs with the overall scheme of things, helps one in forming the right perspective and be at peace with oneself.

I believe that each person understands religion and God in his own way according to the state of his jivatma. Some go by faith, some try to reason and some others directly see the truth. So there is no one right way to understand God or to pray. Having said this I would say one should most importantly try to understand one's true nature . Though ultimately the Atman is one's true nature, understanding the jivatma and how it syncs with the overall scheme of things, helps one in forming the right perspective and be at peace with oneself.

There is another way:

na dharma nishtOsmi, na cha AtmavEdi, na bhaktimAn, twachcharaNAravindE, akinchanO ananyagatissaranya
twat pAdamoolam saranam prapatyE.

Ask the question to a Dikshitar. He will answer you whether it is Veda or not. Then come here and make it known to other interested individuals. It appears we have here an expert who can convert abstract entities like Narayana into physical juicy entities like Nungu. LOL.

A small doubt: Does calling Narayana not involve any effort? LOL.

Fortunately the word Narayana does not rhyme with the word Nungu. Otherwise the members here would have been treated by the TRR of the forum with some funny, rhyming string of words. LOL. Siva Siva.

Not comfortable Ask dikshidar - well nobody claims them as vedas

I have a doubt - 4000 DP are they veda? Who's ubhaya Vedanti? ரெட்ட வால் குருவி? இருதலை காெ ள்ளி எறும்பு?

The Divya Prabandham sings the praise of Narayana (or Vishnu) and his many forms. The Alvars sang these songs at various sacred shrines known as the Divya Desams. The Tamil Vaishnavites are also known as Ubhaya Vedanti (those that follow both Vedas, i.e., the Sanskrit Rigveda, Yajurveda, Samaveda and Atharvaveda, as well as the Tamil-language Tiruvaymoli, a work which many South Indian devotees regard as the Tamil Veda).[2] In many temples — Srirangam, for example — the chanting of the Divya Prabhandham forms a major part of the daily service.

TRR for you

நாெங்கு தின்ன நாராயணண்
தீங்கு பண்ண நாரவாயன்!

Last edited:
There is another way:

na dharma nishtOsmi, na cha AtmavEdi, na bhaktimAn, twachcharaNAravindE, akinchanO ananyagatissaranya
twat pAdamoolam saranam prapatyE.

Dear Shri Vaagmi,

Is not surrender to God total faith in Him?

In fact, surrender to God is seeing the truth in addition to having faith though not in a totally impersonal or objective way.

In fact, surrender to God is seeing the truth in addition to having faith though not in a totally impersonal or objective way.

Surrendering is not seeing truth it is blinding the truth because of faith - you will see only what you want to see -try questioning you may see the truth totally impersonally in an objective way

Last edited:
American girl has asked a simple question ,to know the name of Relgion, which he has to mention as Hindu. Since Christe is known as the Lord, there is no need to explain .Whole world knows , since they always are engaged in conversion/ it is their , Motto?
This gentleman failed to explain at least simple way. Gita is. The Bible & ,Liberal LMized every respect / & could ask her to get full details in Wilkie pedia
All of us in this Forum, if happened to face her, would not have failed to apprise the young Lady in proper perspective

Risjikesan/A.Srinivasan

Surrendering is not seeing truth it is blinding the truth because of faith - you will see only what you want to see -try questioning you may see the truth totally impersonally in an objective way
Dear Madam,

The truth I am talking about is the existence of God and His compassion. A deep belief in that truth causes one to surrender to God and I do not think that questioning alone can help one reach that depth but I admit it helps when you are trying to understand reality.

Also objectivity does not always imply truth . One can conduct experiments and prove something in an objective way but one can even question how truthful is what we perceive and can question objective evidence.

Last edited:
What is this 'totally impersonal or objective way'?
Dear Shri Vaagmi,

By that I mean not giving form or name to God and realizing just the truth of and about God. One might understand God is omnipotent and omniscient, is in a state of perfect balance and actions of God reflect that balance and so on. From the point of view of advaita, it is the saguna brahman who does the thinking and acting and nirguna brahman is the formless existence beyond acting and thinking.

Dear Shri Vaagmi,

By that I mean not giving form or name to God and realizing just the truth of and about God. One might understand God is omnipotent and omniscient, is in a state of perfect balance and actions of God reflect that balance and so on. From the point of view of advaita, it is the saguna brahman who does the thinking and acting and nirguna brahman is the formless existence beyond acting and thinking.

Dear sravna,

giving a form and name can be deliberate for a convenience while formlessness and so namelessness may be the attributes of God. I am not concerned whether God is omnipotent or not. I know two things. One: taking care of myself in this world and the other thing I know is love. I can love. I can also sublimate this love when it becomes bhakti or love for God. This selfless love gives me happiness and makes life meaningful to me. For loving I need an object. While my family, friends, and the world are included in the first item above viz taking care of myself(myself includes all this) I need to objectify God to love him and make it meaningful. I can not accept sunya as the ultimate reality in which I just do not exist or am part of a universal formless shapesless mass of 'consciousness'. So it is not a helpless or vyavakarika level existence of an entity. I have God fully knowing that God is beyond conceptualization because whatever form I may give He will be neti neti. I take neti as meaning "not just this". I agree that it is not just this. But just this is enough for my purpose.

A tamil savant said this beautifully: பூகத ஜலம் போலே அந்தர்யாமித்துவம்; ஆவரண ஜலம் போலே பரத்துவம்; பாற்கடல் போலே வ்யூகம்; பெருக்காறு போலே விபவம்; அதிலே தேங்கின மடுக்கள் போலே அர்ச்சாவதாரம்.
I pray and love the Archavataram as it is near to me.

It is not like a fool getting into water without knowing the depth. It is rather knowing fully well the depth and yet getting in to swim and enjoy. Hope I am clear. It is a vast subject.

I do not subscribe to Advaitam. I consider it as inadequate.

Last edited:
Dear Shri Vaagmi,

I do not subscribe to the view that advaita only gives the right understanding of reality. Other philosophies do and people subscribe to the philosophy they are comfortable with. It is like seeing a problem and solving it in different ways but arriving at the same solution.

True Believers

True believers inflame conflict and impede progress in society because they simply can’t be reasoned with. What is a true believer? Here’s a test. When confronted with credible data counter to your worldview, do you: (1) modify your position to incorporate the new data, or (2) dismiss, ignore, or otherwise explain away the new data and double down on your existing worldview? If you chose number two, you’re a true believer.

True believers are stuck in a positive feedback loop: the more evidence against their position, the more entrenched they become. No mental mechanism exists to break the loop. They only accept evidence that agrees with their preconceived notions, and, conveniently, insist they’re the sole arbiters of what constitutes “evidence." There’s a sieve around their brain that screens out troublesome data. Any topic where facts are inconsistent with their beliefs is taboo because it simply can’t be true. Open-minded heretics pursuing such topics will be slandered, ridiculed, and ostracized. It’s quite the racket.

Ironically, true believers often moralize about the importance of facts and insist they’re the only ones who are “reality based.” However, in practice, they confuse facts with assumptions, beliefs, conjecture, and opinion. If you take an incorrect assumption, assume it as fact, and extrapolate from that assumption, even if the logic of the extrapolation is sound, the whole idea is wrong because the foundational assumption is wrong. Garbage in, garbage out. Yet, since true believers mistake their incorrect assumption for fact, and tout their impeccable extrapolation, you’re the kook. This is what passes for logic in the true-believer community.

True believers haunt any subject: science, religion, health, history, economics, politics. The distinction is not the subject matter, but the treatment of evidence and dismissal of same. True believers are not restricted to any particular political affiliation, ideology, culture, gender, age, metaphysical belief system, or education level. They can occur anywhere, but seem especially concentrated in partisan politics, dogmatic religion, and scientific materialism.

Dogmatic religion has obviously been a hotbed of true believers for millennia, and the resultant destruction is well chronicled. But don’t commit the fashionable stupidity of thinking that the recognition of a larger reality, beyond the physical, is equal to religion, or that most spiritual people are true believers. This only happens when core spiritual principles transmogrify into religious dogma. There is only one truth, but many ways to express that truth.

Science has, for centuries, been vital to discovering evidence about the natural world and countering religious dogma. But calling yourself a “scientist” doesn’t inoculate you from true-believer status. Science is an empirical study that is both open minded and skeptical. Not all scientists practice this. Dogmatic adherents to scientific materialism, despite abundant evidence to the contrary, are a perfect example. (They will argue vehemently against this characterization, but present them with evidence countering materialism and see what happens.)

Formal education has nothing to do with it. Some of the biggest true believers out there hold advanced degrees from elite universities. Because it’s not about what you think you know, it’s about how you deal with facts on the ground. It’s ultimately about humility, honesty, and judgement. It’s about being open to anything, and skeptical of everything, especially things you just know are true. Open your sieve. If the facts don’t fit your model of reality, the problem is your model.

The loudest voices in society are true believers, obsessively pushing their faith-based “facts” upon you. Their cluelessness and complete lack of self-awareness compels their sanctimonious blathering, particularly on cable television, social media, and internet comment sections (anonymously, of course). You have to give them credit for passion, at least, and pure doggedness. I guess.

True believers are a much smaller proportion of the population than their volume would suggest, though they encompass a disproportionate share of the intelligentsia. Fortunately, the antidote to the true believer, the opened-minded skeptic, is quieter but much more numerous. They are the backbone of society.

True believers are not interested in solving problems, they’re interested in converting you to their dogma. As such, they are not only irritating, but dangerous. Treat the true believer as you would a toddler in full tantrum. Direct confrontation is not advised. Presenting them with facts will trigger their positive feedback loop. If you’ve found yourself in a debate with a true believer, simply change the subject or walk away. Or, if their tantrum doesn’t abate, maybe give them a hug; they sure seem to need one.

Look, this screed against true believers may sound harsh and judgmental, and perhaps it is. True believers are human beings deserving of empathy and respect like everyone else. Nobody’s perfect, and everyone is probably a true believer on occasion. It’s difficult to give up an entrenched belief. Refrain from the ubiquitous shrieking and creepy groupthink so prevalent today. Be kind. The last thing society needs is another self-righteous fool screaming some goofy dogma. When real facts are on your side, no screaming is necessary. Lead by example and live honestly and compassionately. Everyone’s in this together. Truth eventually prevails.

Always.

Tom Mahony is a biological consultant in California with an MS from Humboldt State University. He is the author of the novels Imperfect Solitude, Flooding Granite, and Pacific Offering. Visit his website at tommahony.net.

I believe that each person understands religion and God in his own way according to the state of his jivatma. Some go by faith, some try to reason and some others directly see the truth. So there is no one right way to understand God or to pray.

True!

hi

indian philosophy means not only advaita but also dvaita too...its very open book ...any body can choose...many prefer

ARCHAVATAR more comfirtable.....all alwars/nayanars are not advatins...they prefer archavatar...its called NAVADA BHAKTI...

SOME LIKE DAASYA BHAKTI TOO...

Comparing different modes of prayer or deciphering the Truth is like locker room talk..each one thinks theirs is bigger!

Comparing different modes of prayer or deciphering the Truth is like locker room talk..each one thinks theirs is bigger!

Truth about truth !

verum ipsum factum – "truth itself is constructed". -. Fabricated! - size depends on your choice and needs!

Last edited:
Dear JJ Ji,

I believe in Brahman...so its a vastness beyond my comprehension..the biggest of all.. Al-Kabir!LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back