• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Hindu-Americans Rank Top in Education, Income

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hindu americans or american hindus from india are ahead of other religious groups in socioeconomic levels.

Views of two experts:

1. Another, secondary driver for the success of Hindus can be traced back to India’s caste system, according to Prema Kurien, a professor of sociology and the director of the Asian/Asian American Studies Program at Syracuse University in New York.

According to Alan Cooperman, the associate director for research for the study, the success of Hindus stems from the type of person that chooses to leave India and who the U.S. admits. This, he said, is quite different from other immigrant groups, where there are often high numbers of refugees or undocumented immigrants.

"Eighty-five percent of Hindu-Americans are college graduates, and 57 percent have some postgraduate education, which is nearly five times the national average.

According to the study, 48 percent of Hindu-American households have an income of $100,000 or more, and 70 percent make at least $75,000.

“This is the first time anybody has had good data on [Hindus],” said Cooperman. “Hindus are a fascinating group.”
Hindu-Americans Rank Top in Education, Income

It is great news. Good post. As a Hindu, American PIO I am happy about it.
I do appreciate that it is an achievement for Indian culture.
I am little uncomfortable with the statistics.
I do not know whether it is the religion that should take any credit.

Last edited:
nothing great here!.

the cream of the cream of the cream of our society only goes to u.s, and its natural they remain on top.

if one wish to cherish with this info, take a look at the status of hindus in Srilanka/Malaysia/Africa/gulf.

why bench mark every thing with aaamrikaa ?

Very well said ShivKc sir!

A very wise friend (who is incidentally also one of the creme de la creme there) called it 'selection bias'.

Dear Sri "Sarang"

Thanks for the information. But it is as expected, since the educated upper caste were forced
to emigrate to other Countries due to denial educational and employment opportunity in their
own mother land in the name of Caste Reservation. Dr Prema Kurian was correct in her analysis
of the reason.

Regards,
Brahmanyan,
Bangalore.

You have put this question to the americans.

America is the land of freedom, land of opportunities, and competitive success. If, in future, america is forced to resort to reservation because hindus are biting into a bigger slice of cake, the sons may return!

why bench mark every thing with aaamrikaa ?

Mr. Sarang #6
:whip:
Is it a Left handed compliment?

Mr. Sarang found the statistics, and posted it. He did nor create or edit it.
If a similar study is done in some other country, you too can post it.
For people who have been out in USA, you will know that mentality here is completely different. Hard work and good work habits are still rewarded. Is there no discrimination in USA? Yes there is, not expecting that would be foolish as they are humans too. In day to day activity you do not encounter discrimination or corruption.

Dear Sri "Sarang"

Thanks for the information. But it is as expected, since the educated upper caste were forced
to emigrate to other Countries due to denial educational and employment opportunity in their
own mother land in the name of Caste Reservation. Dr Prema Kurian was correct in her analysis
of the reason.

Regards,
Brahmanyan,
Bangalore.

Mr. Brahmanyan,
The new immigrants coming are not necessarily "creme de la creme". But they still value the education and prosper because of their work ethics.

The new immigrants are IT consultants, some of them come from backward communities, but still emphasize education for the children. We expect more from our children, and in an environment were expectations are less, our children excel. So even the generation born here get the benefit of the available resources.

Some 3.2 million Indian Americans, including Asian Indians of mixed race, lived in the United States in 2010 as South Asians led all Asian groups in population growth in the last decade. They led all Asian American households with highest median household income. At 3,183,063, Indian American made up 18 % of the Asian American population in 2010, up from 16 % in 2000, according to a new compilation of 2010 census data.
According to 2007 to 2009 data, Indian Americans led all Asian American groups in the country in median household income at $86,660. The next highest total was $77,596 for Taiwanese households.

Taiwanese and Indians also led in per capita income among Asian American groups, with $38,312 and $36,533, respectively, followed by Malaysians ($33,264) and Sri Lankans ($32,480).

Bangladeshi Americans had the biggest percentage increase over the decade, skyrocketing 157 %, according to the study, "A Community of Contrasts: Asian Americans in the United States, 2011," by the Asian Pacific American Legal Centre and the Asian American Justice Centre.

The Pakistani population had the second highest population bump with a 100 % rise. The Sri Lankan and Indian American populations increased 85 % and 68 %, respectively.

Among the South Asian groups, Pakistanis had the highest rate of naturalization at 57 %, while just 50 % of Bangladeshi Americans, 47 % of Indian Americans and 43 % of Sri Lankan Americans were naturalised.

Indian Americans grow to 3.2 mn, top in income - Hindustan Times

Asian Americans make significant contributions to the economy through entrepreneurial activity, job creation, and consumer spending.
Asian American entrepreneurs own over 1.5 million businesses, employing about 3 million people with an annual payroll of nearly $80 billion. Asian American firms were more likely than other firms to create jobs, and between 2000 and 2009, the buying power of Asian American communities increased 89%, from $269 billion to $509 billion.

http://capmn.wordpress.com/2011/11/...ts-asian-americans-in-the-united-states-2011/

Last edited:
It is an open question how long those high-achieving Indians will stay Hindus. Or will they try their best to become WASP like Bobby Jindal and Nikki Haley when the opportunity suits them?

Do the 3rd generation Hindus still say Hindus? Or are they converted by inter-marriage etc?

As suggested by ShivKC, maybe we should also discuss Hindus in non-Amreeka. How about the UK for example? Maybe some forum members living in the UK can oblige by joining in the discussion?

actually, i was bit confused by the title..

if it was said, indian's are faring well in u.s, then there is a point. but it claimed hindu's outing all the punjabi sikhs, anglo indians,parsi's,mulsims etc..

me perceiving it to be TB's , here is my take.

every body has moved to u.s, including t.b's. As we see the cry like you and me about reservation, the crowd of t.b flocking u.s in the name of I.T must have come down, cos the basic admission of t.b's to i.t course must also have come down.

some one may pop us, the private colleges helped t.b's, but then, there was always another hue and cry from t.b's that, the money is all in the hands of kshatrya's and banyas.

need some introspection here.. would look forward to someone who accept the facts, doesnt matter if its the situation of being fallen flat.. but ready to move on by working out a new strategy.

tb's claiming credit on u.s accomplishments, is something a blindfolded one, for someone not knowing reality. the engineering colleges have barely 1% of TB students, and how come they rule out there with that just meager percentage.

there is a wide gap missed out and missing too. its time to shed the ego's and do a real mathematics. never the late.

yes, there are lot of TB, i stress, TB grandpa's are there in I.T , who even heads microsoft/accenture/cisco/pepsi etc. but dont forget, once grandpa's got retired, there is very few son's of TB, and minuscule TB grandsons to take the shoes.

and many a members having admitted, the rest of the greener pastures were abandoned by tb's and now being enjoyed as a cake walk with nb's , where is the next gen tb's stand?

stop boasting.. get in to real mathematics!! how can one who claimed to have won the society with the fruits of education, can make it again with the deprived education, in the lights of reservation..

my mathematics doesnt support this!! need some new strategy here!!

And its high time, to stop sitting on laurels ~~~~

Last edited by a moderator:
The pew report is about the accomplishment of hindus in US; full report of the survey done by the pew forum is available in the link given in the op. There is no subdivision of varnas in the report.

if it was said, indian's are faring well in u.s, then there is a point. but it claimed hindu's outing all the punjabi sikhs, anglo indians,parsi's,mulsims etc..

every body has moved to u.s, including t.b's. As we see the cry like you and me about reservation, the crowd of t.b flocking u.s in the name of I.T must have come down, cos the basic admission of t.b's to i.t course must also have come down.

some one may pop us, the private colleges helped t.b's, but then, there was always another hue and cry from t.b's that, the money is all in the hands of kshatrya's and banyas.

need some introspection here.. would look forward to someone who accept the facts, doesnt matter if its the situation of being fallen flat.. but ready to move on by working out a new strategy.

tb's claiming credit on u.s accomplishments, is something a blindfolded one, for someone not knowing reality. the engineering colleges have barely 1% of TB students, and how come they rule out there with that just meager percentage.

there is a wide gap missed out and missing too. its time to shed the ego's and do a real mathematics. never the late.

yes, there are lot of TB, i stress, TB grandpa's are there in I.T , who even heads microsoft/accenture/cisco/pepsi etc. but dont forget, once grandpa's got retired, there is very few son's of TB, and minuscule TB grandsons to take the shoes.

and many a members having admitted, the rest of the greener pastures were abandoned by tb's and now being enjoyed as a cake walk with nb's , where is the next gen tb's stand?

stop boasting.. get in to real mathematics!! how can one who claimed to have won the society with the fruits of education, can make it again with the deprived education, in the lights of reservation..

The craze for IT is still very strong...Even 2-3 years back few of my cousins children moved to US for a career in IT..This is mostly on account of Engineers who are hired by Infosys, TCS & Cognizant choose to go to US for onshore projects & then stick there.

However I noticed a new phenomenon...There is a craze for undergraduate course in UK/US from TB residing in India, though it is pretty expensive...The earlier generation went to US for postgraduation (M.S or Ph.D)....
This is a tectonic shift

Also surprising to note that the subjects in undergraduation are varied-can be engineering , science, commerce or plain liberal arts...

After all the IIT Engineers too are not developing any new products...They are ultimately managing things after doing a Management course..

In many cases it is the children who decide what courses they want to study & parents are accepting the choices of their children...In a way this is good because if I study the course that I like, I will do my best to excel in that field (as in 3 idiots )

The craze for IT is still very strong...Even 2-3 years back few of my cousins children moved to US for a career in IT..This is mostly on account of Engineers who are hired by Infosys, TCS & Cognizant choose to go to US for onshore projects & then stick there.

However I noticed a new phenomenon...There is a craze for undergraduate course in UK/US from TB residing in India, though it is pretty expensive...The earlier generation went to US for postgraduation (M.S or Ph.D)....
This is a tectonic shift

Also surprising to note that the subjects in undergraduation are varied-can be engineering , science, commerce or plain liberal arts...

After all the IIT Engineers too are not developing any new products...They are ultimately managing things after doing a Management course..

In many cases it is the children who decide what courses they want to study & parents are accepting the choices of their children...In a way this is good because if I study the course that I like, I will do my best to excel in that field (as in 3 idiots )

Sir,
It is not just TB's, it is an Indian phenomenon. American universities are reeling in millions of Dollars from Indian, Chinese, Russians, and others.

Indian Universities are also part of this loot, they collaborate with foreign universities to send their students.
It costs $60,000 for tuition and $40,000 for room and board per year.

The OP gives an impression that $100k is an enviable income (for a household and not per capita) and post 16 states the cost of university education alone at $100k. I am confused. Is 100k really a big amount? I thought the Indian expatriates in the age group of 30-50 working in the U.S. save (I repeat, save and not earn) about $50k a year.

The OP gives an impression that $100k is an enviable income (for a household and not per capita) and post 16 states the cost of university education alone at $100k. I am confused. Is 100k really a big amount? I thought the Indian expatriates in the age group of 30-50 working in the U.S. save (I repeat, save and not earn) about $50k a year.
Mr. Haridasa,
There is in state tuition fee which is less, out of state tuition is generally 2X times state fee.
Students who want to find cheaper accommodations can do so.
Most of the H1 visa people are paid $70,000 per annum before Tax.
Median household income according to Wikipedia is:
United States $31,111.00

On that basis $100,000.00 is a big number.
In my state the in state tuition fee is only $19,000.00. Most of the American kids get some kind of scholarship, or work part time to earn money.

What PIO's earn is speculation at best.
I know of restaurant workers making Federal Minimum Wage of $7.25/hr.
I know of CEO in Millions per year.

Assuming Tax rate of 25% (very conservative). The take home pay of Middle class American will be about $40,000/year (per person). So a PIO couple may take home $80,000.00/year.
It will cost $1500.00/month for apartment on an average. It will cost another $1000.00/month for incidentals if they are frugal.
One trip to India will set you back $5000.00. If you have a nice home and nice car then the cost will add up. If you go out to eat and entertainment will be extra. If you had a child forget savings LOL.

How did you come with a saving of $50,000/year by individual?

I think it is you who needs some introspection.

The title as given in the newspaper has been copied ditto. It is very likely that Mr. Mathew Hilburn meant Indian Americans and not sectarian classification as Indian Hindus, Indian Muslims, Indian Parsis etc.

Even if it be just "Hindu Americans" you have gone into a different stratosphere altogether and moved into the old areas of discussions in this forum, such as TBs, Reservation, TBs claiming credit on US accomplishments (whatever that means), TB grandpas, miniscule TB grandsons, money with kshatriya, bania etc.

I did not find anyone, i.e. a T.B. claiming credit exclusively, nor anyone bashing any T.B. for wrongfully misappropriating the credit in the messages so far.

The only cogent remark that I could make out of the post was the last line "Stop sitting on laurels".... a good advice which will help further progress.

Last edited:
The survey is religion based. The main paper specifically mentions this and has treated hindus separately. Only when the numbers are less (for other religions) they are left out.

The title as given in the newspaper has been copied ditto. It is very likely that Mr. Mathew Hilburn meant Indian Americans and not sectarian classification as Indian Hindus, Indian Muslims, Indian Parsis etc.

Mr. Zebra16,
Mr. ShivKC was right, as has been reinforced by Mr. Sarang's post#21.
That is why In my post#2 I specifically mentioned that the religion should not be included. but they did in this survey.

Mr. Zebra16,
Mr. ShivKC was right, as has been reinforced by Mr. Sarang's post#21.
That is why In my post#2 I specifically mentioned that the religion should not be included. but they did in this survey.

Sri Prasad-ji,

My posting was why ShivKC is trying to steer the matter into the muddy waters of TBs, reservation, TBs claiming credit on US accomplishments (whatever he means by that), TB grandpas and grand kids, money with kshatriya, bania etc. There was no scope for such diversion in the link posted nor in the previous messages posted by members.

No one has claimed that all the achievements of Hindu-Americans belong to TBs exclusively etc. then why divert the direction in that matter? Is it a tactic to induce provocative posts?

Sri Prasad-ji,

My posting was why ShivKC is trying to steer the matter into the muddy waters of TBs, reservation, TBs claiming credit on US accomplishments (whatever he means by that), TB grandpas and grand kids, money with kshatriya, bania etc. There was no scope for such diversion in the link posted nor in the previous messages posted by members.

No one has claimed that all the achievements of Hindu-Americans belong to TBs exclusively etc. then why divert the direction in that matter? Is it a tactic to induce provocative posts?
Sorry for jumping the Gun. I was only validating that the original post was unfortunatly worded.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back