• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Even Americans started worshipping Hindu Gods

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

sudeshwer

Hindu Gods have no barriers - srinivasan

WASHINGTON: The VHP and other Sangh Parivar affiliates bristling at President Barack Obama's smackdown of India over purported religious intolerance should love this: Tom Brady, who is arguably one of the greatest quarterbacks in American football, keeps a four-inch statuette of Ganesha, believing him to be a ''remover of obstacles'' - and who better needs obstacles to be removed than the playmaker in the rough and tumble game?

Brady's Ganesha devotion came to light after journalists crowded around his locker after the quarterback led his team New England Patriots to a fourth Super Bowl title last week. Prominently displayed in the locker, reported USA Today, ''was a four-inch bronze elephant-headed statue - Ganesha, the Hindu God. Or as Brady quietly told a visitor, 'The remover of obstacles.'''

Ganesha illustrates the spiritual side of his psyche developed with trainer and adviser Alex Guerrero, the paper said, adding that the spiritual is coupled by mental commitment, evidence by more items in his locker. Lying next to Ganesha were five note cards and handwritten notes that included, "Bend knees more on drop'' and ''Be on toes,'' and a poster by his children Benjamin and Vivian that read "Go Patriots. Love you Daddy.'' Brady is married to the Brazilian supermodel Gisele Bundchen.

American fealty to Hindu Gods is not new. President Obama himself was reported keeping a small locket of Hanuman in his pocket as a lucky charm during his Presidential campaign. And the US House of Representatives now had a self-professed Hindu lawmaker in Tulsi Gabbard, whose faith comes from the Hare Krishna movement, and who used the Bhagavad Gita to take her oath in Congress.

We feel proud when a person of some other religion follows ours, embraces the practices of Hinduism, appreciates Hindu scriptures etc. But I dont understand why we cry foul when some member of our religion appreciates the tenets of other religion or scriptures. After all I think every person is free to follow his conviction.

There are many hindus who diligently follow hindu rituals and simultaneously attend J. Krishnamurthy meetings and wax eloquent about his teachings. Is this not hypocrisy, self-contradictory, double-standards?

It seems that Americans are extremely open minded and free thinking. We cannot take their approach / thinking as bench mark, as far as religion is concerned. What they do or act in terms of religion may be extremely opposite after some time, if situation demands.

We can just read this information and enjoy.

We feel proud when a person of some other religion follows ours, embraces the practices of Hinduism, appreciates Hindu scriptures etc. But I dont understand why we cry foul when some member of our religion appreciates the tenets of other religion or scriptures. After all I think every person is free to follow his conviction.

There are many hindus who diligently follow hindu rituals and simultaneously attend J. Krishnamurthy meetings and wax eloquent about his teachings. Is this not hypocrisy, self-contradictory, double-standards?
Sir that is too rational, not many are that way. In the militant Hindutva, you are a Hindu (that too their brand of Hindutva) or you are KAFIR.

Everything has good and bad.. only those who leave their belief completely and move to another shows that they are not going to believe anything firm or for good!! Nice to look at others and understand what is good!

Anti Hindu talibans as usual shoot untruth and inanities. A read of what RSS chief said today will go some way in better understanding of hindutva, provided some space is created in the brain dumping some hate filled slime. Of course, it is too much to ask.

Obviously who is a kafir according to whom itself is not understood by the sickulars. Nobody is called a kafir by Hindus. Of course such knowledge is beyond reach for those with sickular mindset.

Anti Hindu talibans as usual shoot untruth and inanities. A read of what RSS chief said today will go some way in better understanding of hindutva, provided some space is created in the brain dumping some hate filled slime. Of course, it is too much to ask.

Saragji,
You are XXXXXX,
You have been advised not to chase my post. You are a mouthpiece of the hindutva brigade of RSS. Your words are hollow, and do not carry any meaning.

Hinduism is a vast ocean and most of us accept our limitation in knowing all aspects of it (Except for people like you).
I am making this comment personally, because I want to isolate you. Rational people can differ in their views and still carry conversation. You on the other hand..............

If someone wants to label himself as anti Hindu Taliban, who can stop him? Long long ago so long ago some stickler in the forum shouted that he will say what he wants and care a hoot for others. When someone throws stones and claims it is his birthright and upbringing, he must at some % will bounce back.

Not too long ago, if I am right, I came across the info in this forum that there is infact an 'association' for the White Hindus... is that correct? There are quite some Westerners whom I come across at my local Lakshmi temple too. I am aware of a certain forum (www.religiousforums.com/forums/hinduism-dir.13/ ) where there are so many Western adoptees to Hinduism. There are quite staunchly religious and might know more about Hinduism and its sects down to the detail of taking 'diksha' and practicing Hinduism on a daily basis than many of us might know! I know they detest being called 'Converts' that is why I write here as 'adoptees'.

It is not a big deal. Hindus go to Vailankanni so also to Naagur. To Mt Mary in Bandra or Ajmer Dargah. Realized souls are far apart from gullible ones.

[h=1]An Overview of Kauai's Hindu Monastery[/h] Kauai Aadheenam, also known as Kauai's Hindu Monastery, is a traditional South-Indian style monastery-temple complex on the tropical Garden Island of Kauai in the Hawaiian chain in the middle of the Pacific Ocean. The head of the monastery, called the Guru Mahasannidhanam, is Satguru Bodhinatha Veylanswami.

They also publish a monthly magazine.

There very many ashrams of this kind.
In addition we have ISKON temple and their followers.

I have problem with the title of this thread.
What is Hindu God, as opposed to Christian God?
The title should read Americans are using Hindu symbolism to depict God.

If you keep the symbolism (Hindu) in your pocket does it mean that God is in your pocket? Is it not that God is in us, and we are in the same Brahman?
Kabir Says:

Jaise Til Mein Tel Hai, Jyon Chakmak Mein Aag
Tera Sayeen Tujh Mein Hai, Tu Jaag Sake To Jaag

Like sesame contains the oil, fire in flint-stone
Your God is in you, realize if you can

Last edited:
Brahmachariji said:

No one is bothered when a person changes his religion because of getting convinced that the new one is better than the old one. Such conversions are happening every where every day through centuries. The other variety is the disturbing one. Where sword is used or gun is used or money is used or simply milk powder is used. The former is harmless as there is no manipulation involved. The later has to be fought because it is manipulative. It is manipulative because it is invariably used to gain control of masses and rule over them.

Prasadji said:

Sir that is too rational, not many are that way. In the militant Hindutva, you are a Hindu (that too their brand of Hindutva) or you are KAFIR.

At least in the so-called militant Hindutva it is just that. Be proud that it is not cutting of the head in public view and before cameras. It is not driving you away in hoards from territory to territory, it is not bombing you to smithereens, it is not populating to change demographic profiles, it is not usurping your virgin lands after thrusting a Bible in your hands and asking you to read it.

Somehow the word militancy gets shorn of its savagery once it enters into Hindu territory. Only the hindu lambs jump every time the famished hindu militant tiger roared feebly, unable to even get up.LOL.

An Overview of Kauai's Hindu Monastery

Kauai Aadheenam, also known as Kauai's Hindu Monastery, is a traditional South-Indian style monastery-temple complex on the tropical Garden Island of Kauai in the Hawaiian chain in the middle of the Pacific Ocean. The head of the monastery, called the Guru Mahasannidhanam, is Satguru Bodhinatha Veylanswami.

They also publish a monthly magazine.

There very many ashrams of this kind.
In addition we have ISKON temple and their followers.

hi

its called HINDUISM TODAY ....AN QUARTELY MAGAZINE....

I dont know why Prasadji and Sarangji use strong words. let us be as decent as possible. JR, y r right. I have seen white hindus who religiously follow and do things and when I see them I feel we Hindus are not so strict. Hare Rama Hare Krishna temples can be taken to some extent examples. but I also hear 'something' inside such temples which I cannot explicit here - srinivasan

I have problem with the title of this thread.
What is Hindu God, as opposed to Christian God?
The title should read Americans are using Hindu symbolism to depict God.

If you keep the symbolism (Hindu) in your pocket does it mean that God is in your pocket? Is it not that God is in us, and we are in the same Brahman?
Kabir Says:

Jaise Til Mein Tel Hai, Jyon Chakmak Mein Aag
Tera Sayeen Tujh Mein Hai, Tu Jaag Sake To Jaag

Like sesame contains the oil, fire in flint-stone
Your God is in you, realize if you can

good couplet. bilkul sai hai; tho, kaun na kahata bhagwan upne per nai hai, prasad ji!! - srinivasan

What does it matter who worships which forms? Aren't all forms the forms of God?
We call God as Hindu,Christian,Muslim and so on...But does God have a religion?

So why do we care who keeps what in their locker or at their altar? What is more important is having a heart..Hridaya!
Hridaya..made up of the words Hri..Da..and Ya.

Hri to take away (impurities)..Da..to give (purity)..Ya..to circulate.

So all we need is just a Hridaya...true religion at every beat.

Last edited:

Prasadji said:

At least in the so-called militant Hindutva it is just that. Be proud that it is not cutting of the head in public view and before cameras. It is not driving you away in hoards from territory to territory, it is not bombing you to smithereens, it is not populating to change demographic profiles, it is not usurping your virgin lands after thrusting a Bible in your hands and asking you to read it.

Somehow the word militancy gets shorn of its savagery once it enters into Hindu territory. Only the hindu lambs jump every time the famished hindu militant tiger roared feebly, unable to even get up.LOL.

3d Priest Is Killed in India - NYTimes.com

Catholic priest was found beheaded in a forest in northern India, apparently killed for helping untouchables, colleagues said today. A search party from the Australian-run mission that employed the priest, the Rev. A. T. Thomas, found his body Monday near Sirka, Bihar, three days after he was abducted.
He was the third Catholic clergyman killed in two years in Bihar, where caste-based gang wars have killed hundred of people.
Father Thomas, an Indian, had established 15 schools and health projects for untouchables.

But what is the point of pointing out that if you do not nip it in the bud weed will overtake your crop.
Are you saying that unless militant Hindutva reaches the brutality level of ISIS it is acceptable? I have lived through Hindu-Muslim riots, I never want to see it again. Those who have never experienced it personally are purely romanticizing. It is not pretty for the aggrieved party, and it is not good for the civilized Hindus either.

Ordinary Americans are just people like people of any other nation. Some Americans are fascinated by Hindu icons of worship. Big deal - It is not news!

Ordinary Americans are just people like people of any other nation. Some Americans are fascinated by Hindu icons of worship. Big deal - It is not news!

I agree with your view.
I do not think it was worth us discussing it.

A friend of mine used to boasts that he got the Virginia EX-Governer McDonald elected as he presented him with a Ganesh statue during his election. Recently after the disgraced Ex-governor was convicted, I approched the same friend and asked him why the same Ganesha did not protect McDonald from jail, I can not print what he said (XXXXXXX).

Last edited:

Why not? To me, it sounds like some news... because to me it appears our Sanathana Dharma is finding acceptance among Westerners and is spreading all over the world!

Sanathana Dharma ki Jai Ho! :)

It is a tainted trait in some people that when westerners, Muslims, Christians do some thing like this, we become elated or our gods are placed in a higher pedestal. It is ultimately whether it is yours or ours! Is it not everybody's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back