• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

habbits,upbringing and conditioning

drsundaram

i used to wonder when i was young as to Christians and Muslims do not follow all these. grahana kaala restrictions No harm seizes them. The argument continues. I am ignorant.
In childhood only one thing allowed during the eclipse was to study .This time and on Vijayadasami we were forced to study. There is a belief that any Vidya which is pursued during Grahana Punya Kalam multiplies.
Was not allowed to eat, drink anything. All the cooked items/oils etc items had Dharba on it.
Pooja rooms were kept closed.
We all believed that Rahu Ketu swallowed Surya/ Chandra.
We still call out Grahana Yoga in horoscopes where the luminaries are in close conjunction with Rahu or Ketu.
Interesting beliefs..and I hardly ever questioned our elders. Our children are not the same, grossly different and we are forced to deviate from ethics, values and disciplines with which we were brought up. heavy compromises unwillingly . A sort of trisanklok.

Just because some do not follow does not invalidate our tradition and beliefs.

The one thing, our ancestors were absolutely brilliant at is - keen observation and analysis across multiple kingdoms, generations and come up with many time tested advises. Karma is clearly an area which has stood the test of time over and over again.

Some can be argued as extreme and bordering on superstition like the grahanam one, but largely there are good foundational truths that we can borrow and follow in our lives.

i used to wonder when i was young as to Christians and Muslims do not follow all these. grahana kaala restrictions No harm seizes them. The argument continues. I am ignorant.
In childhood only one thing allowed during the eclipse was to study .This time and on Vijayadasami we were forced to study. There is a belief that any Vidya which is pursued during Grahana Punya Kalam multiplies.
Was not allowed to eat, drink anything. All the cooked items/oils etc items had Dharba on it.
Pooja rooms were kept closed.
We all believed that Rahu Ketu swallowed Surya/ Chandra.
We still call out Grahana Yoga in horoscopes where the luminaries are in close conjunction with Rahu or Ketu.
Interesting beliefs..and I hardly ever questioned our elders. Our children are not the same, grossly different and we are forced to deviate from ethics, values and disciplines with which we were brought up. heavy compromises unwillingly . A sort of trisanklok.

Sadly you are mistaken.
Muslims have special prayers during eclipse though it's more of a tradition of the Hadith than the Quran.
So it can be taken as a "smirti" rather than a "shruti"

"Allah is He, who created the sun, the moon, and the stars—[all] governed by laws under His commandment." (Quran 7:54)

"It is He who created the night and the day and the sun and the moon. All [the celestial bodies] swim along, each in its orbit." (Quran 21:33)

"The sun and the moon follow courses exactly computed." (Quran 55:05)

During a solar or lunar eclipse, there is a recommended prayer called the Prayer of the Eclipse (Salat al-Khusuf) that is performed by Muslim communities who may be in congregation at the time of the eclipse.

Last edited:
Sadly you are mistaken.
Muslims have special prayers during eclipse though it's more of a tradition of the Hadith than the Quran.
So it can be taken as a "smirti" rather than a "shruti"

During a solar or lunar eclipse, there is a recommended prayer called the Prayer of the Eclipse (Salat al-Khusuf) that is performed by Muslim communities who may be in congregation at the time of the eclipse.

oh! thanks for the update

Latest ads

Back