• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Foodie Anyone ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Secret messages??!!!!

Friends,
So people have started posting messages with meanings only understandable by few. Or we are expected to overlook them?
Example:
"he added could cure any illness, perhaps with the exclusion of the 4 lettered one."
"liquid diet of a particular variety which is the favourite of KRS, SF, Hari and yours sincerely."
"So instead of looking down upon Shhutta appalam, pick up one the next time you are ill....wait a minute, how can "WE" be ill, especially since we intake "medicine" regularly......afterall "sarve rohakke sarayaa maddu" isn't it ?"

Iyengar doesn't say 'rasam'!!

Hari
Any Iyengar worth his 'thiruman' will not say 'rasam' but 'sattruamudhu'!!
saatru + amudhu = saatramudu. (or something like that!!)
Anyway, a good anecdote!!

LQ,

For a brahmanical touch, you have call it "Shhutta appalam".

I remember an incident, which could perhaps explain why the addiction.

I was once returning back with my VP Finance from Mumbai to Bangalore. We had gone to Corporate office for Plan finalisation & we worked practically 36 hrs without a break. VP Fin was nearing retirement & naturally he couldn't take it & fell ill.

He was so sick that he even refused breakfast offered on board Jet Airways. While driving back home from Airport, he called his wife & said something like - "Shaaapudduven, nee 'sriramanavami rashamum', shuttta apppalamum pannidu".

I am weak in understanding 'Iyengar tamil' & so i thought i heard him say 'sriramanavami rasam'. My parents were in chennai at that time so i was staying with a friend who is an iyengar.

I was checking with my friend as to what 'sriramanavami rasam' means.....He laughed for a while & corrected me that it had to be "seeramolagu rasam" (cumin+pepper rasam). 'seeramolagu rasam' + 'shhutta appalam', he added could cure any illness, perhaps with the exclusion of the 4 lettered one.

So instead of looking down upon Shhutta appalam, pick up one the next time you are ill....wait a minute, how can "WE" be ill, especially since we intake "medicine" regularly......afterall "sarve rohakke sarayaa maddu" isn't it ?

What is 'thiruman' ?

Correct me if I am wrong. Iyers prefer to call their 'Rasam' variously as 'Gottu Rasam', 'Paruppu Rasam', 'Tomato Rasam', 'Molagu Rasam' etc. i.e., anything but 'sattreumudhu'.

Some years back, the term 'Molgatawny Soup' made inroads into Indian English. Soon afterwards, top end restaurants started offering 'Molgatawny Soup' in their menu card. It is supposed to be far-east asian (Thailand/Singapore) speciality.

Is it true that it is only a corrupted form of "Molaga Tanni Soup" ?

Hari
Any Iyengar worth his 'thiruman' will not say 'rasam' but 'sattruamudhu'!!
saatru + amudhu = saatramudu. (or something like that!!)
Anyway, a good anecdote!!

Last edited by a moderator:
My dear Lotus_Quartz:
The vaishnavas used more Tamil than the Smarthas! They used 'Thiru' in front of many of the items, such as 'Thiru kannamadu' (payasam).

Thiru + mann = Thirumann (sacred sand (? ... please correct me). I dont know how to translate this!!
The idea is to wear the white 'thiruman' on the forehead which symbolically means the feet of the Lord Vishnu. The yellow line in the center (yes, one should wear only yellow (turmeric) symbolizes Goddess Lakshmi (?).

Please, some die-hard Iyengars translate this property for LQ.

As for 'milagatwanni' soup, it is corrupted Tamil - milagu + thanni - milgatawnni! Some high-priced American restaurants offer this with chicken based stock and it is very expensive!!
Suresh! honest! I never tried it! but my American friends told me!!

Last edited:
Kothai

Your posting on Adai-Aviyal brought back nostalgic memories of Chennai hotels serving good Adais. Karpagam Mess on East Mada Street in Mylapore used to serve excellent Adai-Aviyal. I used to be a regular on all Pradosham days. Another good place in Chennai was the Rayar Mess. Their Adais were so crisp and nice. Not to forget their Pongal & Gotsu combination.

Silverfox, you might want to pay a visit to these two :)

Suresh, btw, I have tasted the so called MilgaTwanni soup. Believe me, it cant even hold a candle to the Milagu Rasam (Satramudhu) my mom used to make. Besides, my mom's Rasam was free ;)))

Ramki

Hum pandith tho kaththai nahin hain.
Par apni rai batha rahe hain.

My parents are from Tanjore Side. We never combined Adai with Avial. We usually had it with Milagai Podi or Vellam.
My in-laws belong to Trichy and Rameswaram. They prefer Thengai Chutney or M.Podi.

Adai is considered to be a very heavy tiffin with lots of protein. While we usually say Dosai Vaarthal, we say Adai Thattal because in olden days they made very thick adais. Hopefully after pouring the batter on the Tawa, they flattened it with hand. Obviously it needed a lot of oil to be able to come out without breaking. So they put holes not only at the centre but in few more places too using Dosai Thiruppi.
But as we people are more diet conscious, to avoid oil, we make thin Adais if possible in Non-stick Tawas.
P.s: To avoid the gastric effect, I include Ginger while grinding and even mix chopped Pudina leaves in the batter.

A feast!!!!

After reading everything from Adai, avial to thirukkannamudhu, I felt as if I am eating some kalyana Samayal served in Vaazhai Illai.
Romba thrupthiya irunthudhu kettella...

Namaskaram
Bagya:party:

You bet

By an extension of same logic, scalding hot coffee is to be called as "Kaapi shooooooda irukku..." right ?

If i can draw an order of pronounciation it would be :

'Kaapi shooooooda irukku" - Agmark Brahmin

"Kaapi sooda irukku" - Brahmins & Others who don't have sa, sha problem in tamil

"Kaapi JOODA irukku" - Those who have sa,sha problem

"joodakeedhu ba" - unadulterated chennai tamilu + sa, sha problem

Indha pakkata tamil ('dhamil' for the benefit of local hardcore variety) yenn mandaila nozhaiyerda illai !

If i can draw an order of pronounciation it would be :

'Kaapi shooooooda irukku" - Agmark Brahmin

"Kaapi sooda irukku" - Brahmins & Others who don't have sa, sha problem in tamil

"Kaapi JOODA irukku" - Those who have sa,sha problem

"joodakeedhu ba" - unadulterated chennai tamilu + sa, sha problem

hey,... this s break fast tips..from my side..!!

hi ppl!!
my one of fav hobby is cooking..
so i could giv some tips for easy and ready break fast..

tomato sandwich

1.cut tomato into pieces.
2.spread cheese/butter on bread
3.above that spread tomato sauce
4.spread the cut tomatoes on it
5.sprinkle some salt and pepper
6.place an other bread on top of it
7.cook in microwave for 2.50 mins

and and the sandwchich is ready.

its the most easiest break fast..

next time i would give recepies to chineese specialities such as wantons etc.

A variant...

hi ppl!!
my one of fav hobby is cooking..
so i could giv some tips for easy and ready break fast..

tomato sandwich

1.cut tomato into pieces.
2.spread cheese/butter on bread
3.above that spread tomato sauce
4.spread the cut tomatoes on it
5.sprinkle some salt and pepper
6.place an other bread on top of it
7.cook in microwave for 2.50 mins

and and the sandwchich is ready.

its the most easiest break fast..

next time i would give recepies to chineese specialities such as wantons etc.

Make a paste with green chillies, coriander and (or) pudhina leaves with requisite salt... then spread it thinly on both the slices of bread instead of cheese or butter and then points 2 through 6 as above (but should not cook in microwave as the freshness of the paste would dry off)

One could also try adding in thin slices of cucumber too...

Instead of Microwaving,i grill.Reduced my Cholesterol,BP,Diabetes considerably....but poorva janma karma will make us suffer or enjoy,as per action...
sb

I have read articles which state that cooking (and recooking) in a microwave destroys certain chemical compositions of food (which does not happen otherwise)...
hi sesh sir,
If it is correct.......then many american live by the grace of microwave..
in USA ...there is no life without microwave.......my whole life is
depend on microwave....sorry to say.....many ppl live here with
the help of microwave..

regards
tbs:panda:

Panchamritham

Panchamritam is a sweet dish that is prepared in many different parts of India by Yogis. Originally Panchamritam contains 5 ingredients that are considered to be amritham, the elixir of life. The ingredients include Milk, Ghee, Butter, Honey, Kalkandu. Though Panchamritam is made all over India, Palani Panchamritam differs from Panchamrita

I will talk about a great food item which is the favorite of my family deity.Panjamirtham.

On every pongal day all our family members will gather in our deity's temple. That is the tradition.We will take bananas and first somebody will cleanly wash his hands and mix them into a paste.Then we will pour brown sugar into it(Atleast 50%), then ghee.Finally cashews and other nuts.Again somebody will mix it.Finally prasadam is ready.....

Panjamirtham will be offered to goddess and then served to all in a banana leaf.Along with panjamirtham, sundal, sarkarai pongal etc will be served.

After a certain point of time, I stopped eating this panjamirtham.I did not like the idea of somebody mixing bananas into paste by bare hands....:popcorn:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back