• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

First lesson in carnatic music

Status
Not open for further replies.
.........1. In simple words, will it not be better if lessons, like what is cm, what is a, b, c of carnatic music and then the practical.

2. I do know that swarams have no language barrier. But understanding of the meaning of songs always play a major role in giving the bhava for a song. If the meaning is known, then the song could be sung with known inter meaning.

3. When i learnt i was given song in kannada or telegu , "EEE maguva nera jan". I did not know the meaning and sung as i was told. This is one example.

4. But nowadays it is very heartening that youngsters do learn and sing in the languages in which the regional rasikas would love the song. ......
1. IMHO, the seven swarams are the basic of Carnatic music and we start with the easy to handle rAgam MAyAmALavagowLa.

This is considered as a, b, c of Carnatic music. The notes like first and second swarams in Ri, Ga, Ma, Dha and Ni will also be

taught along with the first lesson itself.

2. The Geethams are generally in praise / description of a God or Goddess and the meaning could be told by the teacher. There

can not be much bhAvam in these songs.

3. The Telugu song you have mentioned is 'Emaguva bodhinchera', which is a varNam in DhanyAsi rAgam. All the varnams are

in NAyaka - NAyaki bhAvam and it is better NOT to tell the meanings word by word! I already wrote in another thread, about

one Telugu speaking student, who refused to learn 'RA RA VENugOpAlA', branding it as 'chedda pAttu (bad song)!

4. The songs in regional languages was sung by all the maestros of CM, even much earlier. Many songs of Papanasam Sivan

were popularised by Sri. Semmangudi Srinivasa Iyer. Rama NAtaka Keerthanais, NandanAr chariththira keerthanais and

Tamil songs by many other composers of olden times like OoththukAdu Venkata kavi and newer ones like BharathiyAr,

Ambujam Krishna, Tanjore Sankara Iyer, Periyasamy Thooran were in the concert list of many leading vidhwans.

VarNams were composed in NAyaka - NAyaki bhAvam for the sake of classical dance - BharathanAtyam / Kuchipudi. Later on,

they were included in the Concerts as a warming up song. The two speed rendition of a varNam will make the voice flexible and

hence varNam appeared as the first number in many concerts, as per Ariyakudi Ramanuja Iyengar's pattern of a concert.

This is a book released in this centenary year of Sri. Madurai Mani Iyer.

IMG_4030.JPG

The importance of practicing the preliminary lessons in CM is told by Sri. M M I.

'He' refers to Sri. M M I. Please read these lines:

IMG_4033.JPG

Speaking of Varnams here is NinnukOri (mohanam) a varnam composed by Poochi Srinivasa Iyengar (with meanings)

Pallavi: Ninnu kori yunna nura Nikila loka nayaka

Anupallavi: Nannu palimpa samayamura Nameetha krupa judara

Charanam
: Sannuthanga Sreenivasa

Meanings: (done by Dr. Aruna Turaga, CA)
Pallavi: O leader (“nayaka”) of the entire (“nikhila”) universe (“loka”)! I am subsisting (“yunnanu ra”)
because of the yearning I have for you (“ninnu kori”).

Anupallavi: This is the occasion (“samayamura”) to take charge of me (“nannu paalimpa”). Kindly show
mercy (“krupa judara”) upon me (“naa meeda”).

Charanam: O Srinivasa! ("srinivasa") I pray to your existence (“sannuthi”) in the discernible form (“anga”).

This is a varnam and if you omit the word Srinivasa in charanam, the meaning of this song could be interpreted as erotic. Since this is a varnam (fast paced carnatic music song), Ilayaraja has cleverly composed the song/music with the title ninnukori varnam. I still feel that the (movie) song itself is not as good as I thought it would be - never the less a clever composition.

Here is the youtube of the movie song (from Agni Natchathiram 1988 - A Maniratnam film)

Ninnukori varnam - YouTube

Last edited:

Dear Prof M S K Sir,

How about this varnam?

Ninnu kori yunnara; Ragam: Vasantha; Talam: Adi

Composer: Tacchur Singaaraachari

Arohanam: S G3 M1 D2N2S Avarohanam: SN2D2M1G2R1S

Pallavi: Ninnukori Yunnara Nenarunchi Nannelukora

Anupallavi: Pannagashayanudou Sri Parthasaradhi Deva

Charanam: Soonacharuni baari Korvalera

Meanings: (done by Dr. Aruna Turaga, CA)

Pallavi: I am longing (“kori yunnanu ra”) for you (“ninnu”). I beseech you to uphold

your affection for me (“nenaru unchi”) and heed me (“nannelu kora”).

Anupallavi: O deva! You recline (“sayanudou”) on the mighty serpent (“pannaga”).

You have steered the chariot of Arjuna (“parthasaradhi”) through all the adversities.

Charanam: I cannot endure (“oravalera”) the suffering (“baari”) caused by the cupid

who does not have any body, hence can travel through oblivion (“soona chaaruni”).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back