• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Evolution punishes the selfish and mean, new evidence suggests

Status
Not open for further replies.

prasad1

Two evolutionary biologists from Michigan State University suggest that evolution doesn't favor the selfish.

They offer new evidence, disproving a theory popularized in 2012.

"We found evolution will punish you if you're selfish and mean," lead author Christoph Adami, MSU professor of microbiology and molecular genetics, said. "For a short time and against a specific set of opponents, some selfish organisms may come out ahead. But selfishness isn't evolutionarily sustainable," he said. The paper focuses on game theory, which is used in biology, economics, political science and other disciplines. Much of the last 30 years of research has focused on how cooperation came to be, since it's found in many forms of life, from single-cell organisms to people.

In 2012, a scientific paper unveiled a newly discovered strategy — called zero-determinant — that gave selfish players a guaranteed way to beat cooperative players. "The paper caused quite a stir," Adami, who co-authored the paper with Arend Hintze, molecular and microbiology research associate, said. "The main result appeared to be completely new, despite 30 years of intense research in this area," he said.

Adami and Hintze had their doubts about whether following a zero determinant strategy (ZD) would essentially eliminate cooperation and create a world full of selfish beings. So they used high-powered computing to run hundreds of thousands of games and found ZD strategies can never be the product of evolution. While ZD strategies offer advantages when they're used against non-ZD opponents, they don't work well against other ZD opponents.
The research is published in the current issue of Nature Communications.

"For a short time and against a specific set of opponents, some selfish organisms may come out ahead. But selfishness isn't evolutionarily sustainable," he said.

So, for an organism to survive, in the long run, it has to be selfless. But this selflessness itself is necessitated by selfishness !

"We found evolution will punish you if you're selfish and mean,"

I disagree...cos you see many Middle caste still torture and torment Dalits but it is still the Dalit who is suffering but the Middle caste are having a gala time.

So, for an organism to survive, in the long run, it has to be selfless. But this selflessness itself is necessitated by selfishness !

A selfless selfishness?? Why am I sounding like Sravna now?

Sravna where are you??? I am sure you would love to give us your opinion on this.

I think selflessness is a naturally occurring trait just as selfishness is. You can't acquire it though you can force yourself to behave selflessly.

I definitely do agree that selflessness helps you to survive better in the long run because you don't hurt others and hence reduce the likelihood of being retaliated unlike in the case of selfish people.

The selfishness part comes in the case when people try to hurt you because people think you will not retaliate but then truly selfless people realize that being selfless doesn't mean you don't protect self but only not see the difference between self and others and so nothing wrong in defending yourself vigorously and be sometimes selfish.

Last edited:
I think it is the awareness of "I" and "Not I" in our white corpuscles which is the basic thing in preserving our physical bodies in good health and thus ensuring evolution in the very long run. Even at the macro-level (if I may say so) if our child has a contagious type of infection (like Madras eye, for example) we parents should be selfish enough to take adequate prevention; if we are guided by some misplaced sense of selflessness, we will also catch the same infection and may fail to look after our child well.

Once again it is "self-less selfishness" possibly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back