• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Education in Ancient India

Dear Renu,

Probably you heard using headphone!

When heard through speaker in mobile, music is soft.

"Sri Ganapathini" and 'Jagadhānandha'' of Thyagaraja on violin (couldn't guess the artist!)

And "Vāthāpi Ganapathim" of Dikshitar by Mandolin Srinivas!

So sad we lost Srinivas by his untimely death!

Vedio is very nice and informative!

Sorry, Samsubrji.

I understand the meaning we try to convey by the term "Ancient India", but the term is wrong. There never was a country named 'India' in ancient times.
The country India was born on January 15, 1947.
Before that time it was British India, Mughal Hindustan, Mauryan empire and so on, but they are not Ancient India.
We can say Indian subcontinent.
Even that is not Ancient enough.
The Indian subcontinent is seen from the early twentieth century. It was especially convenient for referring to the region comprising both British India and the princely states under British Paramountcy.

So to be accurate one must assign the Kingdom that person belonged in his time.

Yes, I am proud to be an Indian.
Honesty and accuracy are important.

Last edited:
Dear Renu,

"Sri Ganapathini" and 'Jagadhānandha'' of Thyagaraja on violin (couldn't guess the artist!)

Yes, the music is so wonderful to hear (though I do not know enough to appreciate with knowledge).

If someone openly says they do not like carnatic music then they will only hear noise and no explanation or no gadgets can change that view ..

Excellent Presentation of Education System. It is interesting to note Upanayanam was done to kids irrespective of the background before being initiated into educational program.

Yes, the music is so wonderful to hear (though I do not know enough to appreciate with knowledge).

If someone openly says they do not like carnatic music then they will only hear noise and no explanation or no gadgets can change that view ..

I mentioned the background music is too loud cos it drowns the main info that is more important than the music.

Have you heard videos of NatGeo?

At times there are gaps of silence to gain attention to the main topic.
So its not the type of music i was talking about.
Its the decibels.

Did you even read my words or you are just hitting out at me?

Get what I mean? You are just having issues with what I write..as far as I know you seem to be male...so I doubt you have any cyclical PMS issues..but again I dont really know your gender.
So if you are a female I can forgive you for being edgy for sometimes of the month.
But if you are male..then I seriously dont know why you function in an irritable bowel syndrome format when you are surely thinking with your brain and not your colon.

Anyways...so you see..even if the music at the background was Beethoven's 5th but lower decibels it would be still Ok.

Take home point of the day:

Its not the TYPE of music but the DECIBELS.

Dear Renu,

Dear RR ji,

I heard sans earphones...I found it a bit too distracting cos the music is as almost as loud as the voice and it a non stop continuous format which makes the hearing the words difficult.

Its like do you want to hear the information or hear the music?

Dear Renu,

Your ears may be more sensitive than mine!

I could hear the narration clearly and had to go

closer to the mobile to find out the songs!

We Indians are generally loud, I get that all the time.
But it is like the argument of Glass half full. So we should let it go.

Dear Renu,

Your ears may be more sensitive than mine!

I could hear the narration clearly and had to go

closer to the mobile to find out the songs!
Dear RR ji..
Its possible..i do have extra sensitive hearing..even droplets of water falling in a pail of water can wake me up at the middle of the night.

So i found the background music very loud.
May be I must try the dog whistle..who knows if i can hear it! LOL

I mentioned the background music is too loud cos it drowns the main info that is more important than the music.

Have you heard videos of NatGeo?

At times there are gaps of silence to gain attention to the main topic.
So its not the type of music i was talking about.
Its the decibels.

Did you even read my words or you are just hitting out at me?

Get what I mean? You are just having issues with what I write..as far as I know you seem to be male...so I doubt you have any cyclical PMS issues..but again I dont really know your gender.
So if you are a female I can forgive you for being edgy for sometimes of the month.
But if you are male..then I seriously dont know why you function in an irritable bowel syndrome format when you are surely thinking with your brain and not your colon.

Anyways...so you see..even if the music at the background was Beethoven's 5th but lower decibels it would be still Ok.

Take home point of the day:

Its not the TYPE of music but the DECIBELS.

You must be kidding - Why do you think anyone cares to be 'hitting out' at you. That is being paranoid. Sorry to burst your ego bubble but I do not take what you write seriously most of the time.

I do not care that you do not care for carnatic music or you have sensitive ears but that you relish Dappa music or whatever.

My comment was that if someone publicly says they cannot sit through a carnatic concert, nothing can help them like a good headset or by telling them finer things like Ragam etc,

That is my general opinion and anyone is welcome to differ with that opinion.

Let us get back to the topic of the thread.

You must be kidding - Why do you think anyone cares to be 'hitting out' at you. That is being paranoid. Sorry to burst your ego bubble but I do not take what you write seriously most of the time.

I do not care that you do not care for carnatic music or you have sensitive ears but that you relish Dappa music or whatever.

My comment was that if someone publicly says they cannot sit through a carnatic concert, nothing can help them like a good headset or by telling them finer things like Ragam etc,

Yeah right!

You have been stalking my each and every reply to give a sarcastic comment..but now when cornered you try to say.." hey..i dont take what you write seriously..blah blah blah"

So finally..you will stop following me and get back to topic
Be brave to hit back without putting the blame on another..i thought testosterone has that effect.

Anyways..lets get back to topic.

Wow..someone who.doesnt read my posts surely remembers all that I like.
Masha Allah!

But no big deal .you wont even realize what I wrote...cos you dont read my posts.

Coming to an open forum means one must be open to receive critique of what is written. Being paranoid is another ego problem, I think though I am not a psychiatrist.

If one cannot take the heat they should not come to the kitchen.

I do not have any friends or foes here. I do not go out of my way to ignore anyone or follow anyone.

But if someone is writing posts that lacks real content or interesting content then those cannot be taken seriously. That is my point. If you want to be taken seriously write useful stuff

If someone writes well or has a good response it is a pleasure to ack that.

There are members here who do write well and provide valuable information. The Philosophy section, article sections (though I am unable to keep up with all the posts) and ritual sections have great posts. In General section too there are some people who post very engaging material.

I think Post 1 in this thread is a great example. It is informative. It is interesting to learn about the twin star system, I wonder how ancient people knew that star system before modern telescopes were available.

Watching Arundhathi star symbolically after wedding is a long held custom. The stars actually rotate against each other without any of them in a center. Amazing. Our ancient must have had powerful telescopes.

I am waiting for Part 2 of the Youtube presentation.

Coming to an open forum means one must be open to receive critique of what is written. Being paranoid is another ego problem, I think though I am not a psychiatrist.

If one cannot take the heat they should not come to the kitchen.

I do not have any friends or foes here. I do not go out of my way to ignore anyone or follow anyone.

But if someone is writing posts that lacks real content or interesting content then those cannot be taken seriously. That is my point. If you want to be taken seriously write useful stuff

If someone writes well or has a good response it is a pleasure to ack that.

There are members here who do write well and provide valuable information. The Philosophy section, article sections (though I am unable to keep up with all the posts) and ritual sections have great posts. In General section too there are some people who post very engaging material.

I think Post 1 in this thread is a great example. It is informative. It is interesting to learn about the twin star system, I wonder how ancient people knew that star system before modern telescopes were available.

Watching Arundhathi star symbolically after wedding is a long held custom. The stars actually rotate against each other without any of them in a center. Amazing. Our ancient must have had powerful telescopes.

I am waiting for Part 2 of the Youtube presentation.
Make sure you read on your advice and apply on yourself first before you try to dictate it to others.
Anyway do what the freak you want..you dont imbibe anything anyway.

Latest ads

Back