• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Eating onions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pl clarify

though brahmins are not supposed to eat onion now it is common in every house.during the shrardham one is advised not to eat onion during the srardha batcham and so also during mahalayam.

Now during the one year period after the death of hia father/mother what is to be observed.whether onion is to be avoided for the entire year or during the period of masigam/sodhakumbam.as some sasthrigal says there is no such blanket ban of onion in sasthra and some says it is not to be taken.
Anybody pl clarify

hi
some sastrigals like chinna vengaya sambar on sradham days.......onion is convenient vegetable....

regards
tbs

In the book aachaara murai written by mayuram dharmajna ramanatha deekshithar in page no.18 what to avoid heading:- If we avoid certain items of food and take the approved ones ,our mind becomes pure. Then our mind turns to godly acts and we obtain great benefit. If we eat the things which are considered unsuitable then our mind becomes impure. They affect health and shorten our life span; hence it is quite necessary to avoid such things.

Certain vegetables like onion;garlick;pumpkin should not be eaten; If they are used for their medicinal value, then we should perform purificatory rites. Cooked food is unsuitable after 3 hours. cold food, that has lost its flavour and taste, foods mixing with intoxicaing stuff, should be avoided..

The following items of food are unsuitable; Milk,curd, honey kept in copper vessals; coconut water in bronze vessals;, milk or ghee mixed with salt; ,salt that is served separately; milk of camels;goats;and other wild animals;, milk of cows obtained within ten days after they had given birth to calves, milk of pregnant cows; Gooseberry fruit; Night meals on sundays and on sapthami thithi days. and food that remains after ancestral ceremonies of relatives other than dayadhis.

So onion and garlic are having medicinal properties. This will never affect your health or shorten your life span; this will only affect your mind and stop godly acts to obtain great benefit; You are taking cooked foods after three hours; you are taking cold foods from refrigerator; you are taking milk; In the same manner you can take onions on other days except mahalaya patcham; one week before srartham days and two days before amavasai /madha pirappu tharpanam.

Doing sandhyavandhanam and gayathri japam daily is the purificating process. Drumstick; onions; garlic will induce sex feeling in the mind. on those days brahmins must do only japam; meditation; homam; teaching vedham to students; chanting vedhas; giving and taking dhaanams; doing yaagams were the only karmas for brahmins. now in kali yuga we have to earn money.

AAchaaram is important for all the four varnas. that is snaanam; aachamanam; diet control and brahmacharyam in the prescribed manner is called aachaaram; this is one part of dharmam. along with this aachaaram you must do dharma anustaanam. then only dharmam will be protected; those who are protecting dharma , dhama will protect them. BRAHMACHARYAM IS IMPORTANT HERE. ONION will stop turning your mind to godly affairs; Now a days pollution , chemical manure and pesticides , will reduce the power of onions unlike on those days. This is my opinion.

Eating onion

Thank you mr gopalan.

I am the second son of my mother who passed away on may 15 this year.my elder brother is performing the monthly rituals and i am also participating.
When i sought clarification from one of the ganapadigal in chennai he told me that since we are not following many thing stipulated for the one year period and there is no stipulation that onion is not to be taken during the one year period.moreover as usual prior to srardham,amavasya ana other tharpanam not taking onion during the stipulated period is being followed.
Hope some vaidheekas may will clarify now.till than i am not going to take onion hopefully.

Ramani.

Thank you mr gopalan.

When i sought clarification from one of the ganapadigal in chennai he told me that since we are not following many thing stipulated for the one year period and there is no stipulation that onion is not to be taken during the one year period.moreover as usual prior to srardham,amavasya ana other tharpanam not taking onion during the stipulated period is being followed.
Hope some vaidheekas may will clarify now.till than i am not going to take onion hopefully.

Ramani.

The subject of eating onions keeps periodically circulating in this forum. I am sure that somebody else will raise the same point after six months.

Be that as it may, we brahmins should know that onions, tomatoes, chillies and potatoes are not native to India. They were introduced by the westerners when they invaded India. Therefore, one cannot find any mention of these vegetables in the shastras which were perhaps written before the advent of the Moghuls. For some unknown reasons, chillies and tomatoes (in rasam) are accepted in sradhdam but not the other two vegetables. Saying that garlic and onion will affect the mind and increase the sexual desire is pure bunkum, not supported by any scientific evidence.

Incidentally, there are enough evidences in the scriptures that our rishis were consuming meat and liquor during vedic and puranic periods. Therefore, while one may not like to go back to those old days, one need not have fetishes about the vegetables.

Spirituality begins with small sacrifices. A strong mind evolves from sense control. Sense control can be greatly achieved by restricting the non-sAttvika foods. Obviously, onions, garlic though good for health, comes with the bad odours and bad influence, so does caffiene. It is good to slowly give up those addicting foods, overtime in a year or two, we wouldn't need them. My own experience.

I am a new member.

...For some unknown reasons, chillies and tomatoes (in rasam) are accepted in sradhdam ....
I just came across this post, I don't think the above is correct. The allowed vegetables and permitted recipe are well defined and pretty strict. Not even coriander is allowed AFAIK.

...but tengai chatni doesn't taste good without garlic.
Saiyeen, eat what you like, in moderation. All the talk about satvik/rajasic nonsense, just forget it. I have seen many wonderful and compassionate people who eat nothing but what is supposed to be non-satvic, and I have seen some of the most hateful people who eat nothing but what is supposed to be satvik.

So, IMO, the most rational approach is to eat what is healthy, and that too in moderation, and never be too strict as to forgo a little fun.

Have fun, enjoy life, be compassionate and loving to fellow beings, nothing else can give you more satisfaction and bliss.

Cheers!

Last edited by a moderator:
I just came across this post, I don't think the above is correct. The allowed vegetables and permitted recipe are well defined and pretty strict. Not even coriander is allowed AFAIK.

In some houses even the individual dishes and what kind of vegetables "should" and which should not be used in each dish are strictly followed. Among the orthodox brahmins there seems to be more fear of the pitrus than of God. :)

Saiyeen, eat what you like, in moderation.

Eating Onion/Garlic itself is not the issue, but that is the first infinitesimal step from where people want to take their consciousness to higher or lower level. Let's just look back our Brahmin history of 40 years, after Independence and British Education/office system, the first exploration came from those mAmIs in the form of Onion/Garlic recipes like vada, kozhumu, thogaiyal etc. Atleast then those mAmAs were still performing their sandhyAs but lost their holds to these fancies. Then came the electronic era, with the pressure of these ladies for comforts, and these mAmAs left all these nitya-karmAs for more wages and part-time money. Then, their DIL's ventured out for healthy 'eggs' and clubs for fun-time. In 2 decades, the new generations seek fatter meat, drink , bars, dating and inter-faith marriages. Why then we cry foul for women seeking richer alliances, divorces, Love-jihad when we lost our hold one step at a time in pursuit of monetary, material comforts?! We wanted our little 'Self' to be the slave of our brains, never even attempting to master our brain and control the reins to our senses even for small things. We are far ahead in the other shore and nothing to hold back to our conscience, but we refuse to even make a simple change in the anchor, how are we going to make a bigger impact in our society on the outset.

Last edited:
All the talk about satvik/rajasic nonsense, just forget it.

There are two things to discuss here. Evidence (Empirical and Scriptural) and logic/Opinion

- We have ample empirical evidence esp. of foreign invasions. From the cases of yaksha/daityas to the arabs/british, who were basically meat-eaters have only expressed their barbarity. Whereas our ancestral hindus have proved to be humble, hospitable and honest and non-violent. Be it any varna, hindus were bonded in the basic essence/substrate of dharma and in establishing it be it rulership, administration, arts, wisdom/learning. All of their work/dharma were based on the scriptural authority/shAstrAs.

If food was not the source of sAttvika-hood, why couldn't the barbarians come up such qualities/organization as expressed in our Indian dharma/shAstras. Noone can just come up with such intuition unless are qualified such or revealed. The basic qualification is that sAttvika-hood, whose basic energy-source is FOOD. Annam Brahma, prana Brahma, so does every sense that promotes the knowledge(jnana-indriya) is Brahmam, and must be kept purified for such intuition and revelation, says the Vedas. The message of the shAstras were revealed to those exceptional practitioners, but not to the debunkers. So, only Scripture (dharma shAstras) are our single, authoritative evidence, neither inference nor perception.

Take in our current state of kali-yuga, why are we immersed in corruption, materialism, self-righteous and perceptual arrogance(science)? Why can't administrators come up with dharmic mandates and reforms? Because we lack such spiritual intuition and we debunk the shAstrAs big time. We are set on our own way towards degradation.

I have seen many wonderful and compassionate people who eat nothing but what is supposed to be non-satvic, and I have seen some of the most hateful people who eat nothing but what is supposed to be satvik.

- But, we still have that 1% of genes of our ancestors thus keeping some of us still helpful/honest even without any anushtAnam/practice. Next, those are just our opinions, which is relative, as we have seen big time the other way in our barabaric invasions that Akbar butchered a million hindus and hunted/poached 1000 Bengal Tigers [showcased as sign of terror], whereas got pacified/tolerant after his interaction with the non-violent Jains. So the few random cases you support are simply 'Relative' to your perception or co-incidences. In this society of no human interactions, people never pay heed to any advices or good-opinions from peers or scholars or elders and consider such wisdom or constructive criticism as 'Hateful' and Revival/Revolution as rather not 'Helpful'. So, we can't take these people's poll as authority or evidence.

Last edited:
All the talk about satvik/rajasic nonsense, just forget it. I have seen many wonderful and compassionate people who eat nothing but what is supposed to be non-satvic, and I have seen some of the most hateful people who eat nothing but what is supposed to be satvik.

Pious men who eat the remnants of sacrifices are freed from all the sins. But the sinful ones who cook only for their own sake earn only sin. Gita 3: 13

A twice-born man who has eaten mushrooms, onion or garlic are degraded immediately. Manu 5.19

Our ancestors, esp till our grandparents woke up early, did nithya karma like agnihotra, sandhya and arAdhanA and partake only prasAdham. In the afternoon, enjoyed spiritual discourses/debates. Evening they did japan, yogam, chanting and partook prasadam.

Nowadays, we eat what we cannot offer to the Lord, watch movies/TV serials repeatedly or uselessly, engage in politics, gossips and have rarely seen people engage in spiritual or bhagavadh vishayams regularly other than specifically observed as festivals or in temples. So, as you have seen those who follow such strict diets may follow literally, rather than follow for the pursuit of service to the Lord. Also. sAttivaka-hood is just not following a diet and be conscious of it, instead be conscious of Self being subservient to the Higher Self and mastering the mind in every single instance of action/thought and word. Those who are selfish, or follow shAstra simply for their own pride or ego, also has some part of their consciousness not working like us partaking non-sAttvik food and watching violent/romance movies.

Last edited:
Shri Govinda,

Kindly permit me to record my views on your post #12 above, in reply to Shri Nara's.

I do not agree that the degradations as perceived by you, (I do not agree here also), such as from Onion/Garlic recipes like vada, kozhumu, thogaiyal etc. > healthy 'eggs' and clubs for fun-time >fatter meat, drink , bars, dating and inter-faith marriages.

The basic issue is whether there is anything called "sātvik, rājasik, tāmasik" etc., foods. This sort of classification was introduced by the "Yoga" system of philosophy. The rishis and other venerable persons of the vedic times ate meat (and I think probably onion, garlic, etc., as well) and we generally hold them in the highest esteem and consider them as spiritually most advanced. Killing cows, and bulls was part of the vedic marriage and it seems that the priest was supposed to utter loudly, after the vedic ceremonies on the previous day were over, "Gohaa, Gohaa", signalling that the butchering could commence; this mantra or stipulation may be got verified from Yajurveda scholars.

It looks, therefore, that eating meat, onions, garlic, eggs, etc., drinking , all these have nothing to do with the spiritual evolution of a person. If we subscribe to such a view, almost 95% of world population will be ever going down the spiritual ladder whereas the Jains who have very fastidious rules about food, may qualify for spiritual advancement eminently :)

This world and the nature do not seem to favour any particular belief system. If at all, we may say that some countries having predominantly white-skinned people following one or the other Abrahamic religion, seem to be doing better than the hindu countries. So, let us not be bound by expired beliefs and notions which our scriptures dole out; let us look to the present and, if possible, a bright future and avoid by all means becoming prisoners of outdated beliefs and superstitions.

Sri Sangom,

I do not agree that the degradations as perceived by you, such as from Onion/Garlic healthy 'eggs' and clubs for fun-time, meat, drink , bars, dating and inter-faith marriages.

If these are not de-gradations, esp. in case of Brahmins (held responsible for sAttvika dharma), then there is basic error even in direct 'obvious' human perception.

The basic issue is whether there is anything called "sātvik, rājasik, tāmasik" etc., foods. The rishis of the vedic times ate meat. "Gohaa, Gohaa"....It looks, therefore, all these have nothing to do with the spiritual evolution of a person.

Animal sacrifices might have been done in ashwamedha yagam, the texts say they were the rituals of the Royals mostly Emperors, for prosperity and inheritance, done under the auspices of Maha Rishis. But these were rare instances . Also, if vashishta and visvamitra were capable of turning a king into a PisAsu and revenge themselves, then it was very much possible, the sacrificed animal may have been given a higher life or heaven (Gohan). Plus they consumed the havisu or burnt ash, not regular meat, unwilling to incur offense for not following vedic injunctions!. But, such instances are not a regular norm, and are not prescribed for general public and also not ordained for Kali Yuga (Bagavatham), so let us now follow the scriptural rules for Kali yuga!. The chandogya upanishad (of vedic period) states these yagna/medha as a metaphor.

So, you picked up random convincing events to conclude your opinion. If there are no gunas, ontologically, how are you going to explain the plurality in the creation viz. the variety of natures of Matter and the beings? If all these have nothing to do with the spiritual evolution of a person, then what is the other different view of spirituality?

Jains who have very fastidious rules about food, may qualify for spiritual advancement eminently

Looks like, you clearly over-rode my sentence in the post#13, sAttivaka-hood is just not following a diet and be conscious of it, instead be conscious of Self being subservient to the Higher Self and mastering the mind in every single instance of action/thought and word. Though, Jains are in a better position to become self-realized (one less sense to control), anyone bound to the tri-gunas are bound to some ignorance and karma in one way or the another. Then, it is going to be really hard to accept this next step, 'And he who, with unswerving devotional service, serves Me, crossing beyond the gunAs, becomes fit for the state of self-realization' - Gita 14:26

Last edited:
Sri Sangom,

If these are not de-gradations, esp. in case of Brahmins (held responsible for sAttvika dharma), then there is basic error even in direct 'obvious' human perception.
I do not understand how you make the assertion that "Brahmins are held responsible for "sAttvika dharma". I have also not heard about sAttvika, rAjasik and tAmasik "Dharmas"; will you kindly cite scriptural basis for these?

Animal sacrifices might have been done in ashwamedha yagam, the texts say they were the rituals of the Royals mostly Emperors, for prosperity and inheritance, done under the auspices of Maha Rishis. But these were rare instances . Also, if vashishta and visvamitra were capable of turning a king into a PisAsu and revenge themselves, then it was very much possible, the sacrificed animal may have been given a higher life or heaven (Gohan). Plus they consumed the havisu or burnt ash, not regular meat, unwilling to incur offense for not following vedic injunctions!. But, such instances are not a regular norm, and are not prescribed for general public and also not ordained for Kali Yuga (Bagavatham), so let us now follow the scriptural rules for Kali yuga!. The chandogya upanishad (of vedic period) states these yagna/medha as a metaphor.

Animal sacrifices were not "confined" to ashwamedha and rAjasUya only; such sacrifices formed an integral and mandatory part of the "sOma" sacrifices the performance of which was incumbent upon the brAhmaNas. In fact the vedic devas had to be given animal sacrifices compulsorily, if they had to be pleased.

You seem to pick up "random convincing events (to me these appear to be more as simple "legends")" of vashishta and visvamitra but you must read about Buddha's query to the sacrificing brAhmanas, viz., "If you are so sure that the sacrificed animal goes to heaven, should you not, then, sacrifice your father, instead of that hapless animal, and thus ensure a place for your father in heaven?"

So, you picked up random convincing events to conclude your opinion. If there are no gunas, ontologically, how are you going to explain the plurality in the creation viz. the variety of natures of Matter and the beings? If all these have nothing to do with the spiritual evolution of a person, then what is the other different view of spirituality?

Regarding the picking up of random convincing events, it appears both of us are employing it. So, I do not want to discuss that any more.
My statement was that before sAmkhya-yOga systems, there was no concept of the "trigunas". The word "guna" was taken to mean just the "quality". For example, in the Mahabharata, and the Bhagavata Purana , the guṇas are also associated with the five elements (mahabhutas), five senses, and five associated sense organs:

* Akasha (space), associated with the guṇa śábda ("sound") and with the ear.
* Vayu (air), associated with the guṇa sparśa ("feeling") and with the skin.
* Tejas or Agni (fire), associated with the guṇa rūpa ("appearance", and thus color and tangibility) and with the eye.
* Apas or Jalam (water), associated with the guṇa rasa ("taste", and thus also flavor and tangibility, as well as shape) and with the tongue.
* Prithivi (earth), associated with all the preceding guṇas as well as the guṇa gandha ("smell") and with the nose.

Hence our earliest Rishis and sages obviously did not explain the diversity in creation on the basis of the "triguna" concept and hence it can be considered at best as a convenient way of looking at things and not as a sine qua non theory.

Looks like, you clearly over-rode my sentence in the post#13, sAttivaka-hood is just not following a diet and be conscious of it, instead be conscious of Self being subservient to the Higher Self and mastering the mind in every single instance of action/thought and word. Though, Jains are in a better position to become self-realized (one less sense to control), anyone bound to the tri-gunas are bound to some ignorance and karma in one way or the another. Then, it is going to be really hard to accept this next step, 'And he who, with unswerving devotional service, serves Me, crossing beyond the gunAs, becomes fit for the state of self-realization' - Gita 14:26

Shri Govinda, my doubt is exactly this: can a person not have/not acquire the said "sAttivaka-hood" if he eats onions and other such non-sAttivaka food? Is there any proof for this (I am not talking of stories from Puranas and the epics, here.)? I consider that a person can be predominantly sAttivaka even if he eats onions, etc. That is the main difference in our pov.

You seem to pick up "random convincing events (to me these appear to be more as simple "legends")" of vashishta and visvamitra but you must read about Buddha's query to the sacrificing brAhmanas, viz., "If you are so sure that the sacrificed animal goes to heaven, should you not, then, sacrifice your father, instead of that hapless animal, and thus ensure a place for your father in heaven?"

"The smritis that are non-vedic and the views that are perverse, are futile being established in tamas/ignorance '. - Manu 12.96. So, Manu didn't rule out the option that followers of vedas may take a wrong view of things.

But what was prescribed in the vedas (esp. Yajur veda in 2 chapters) and those realized Rishis authorized them were completely above these ordinary people's egoistic/ritualistic mind and specific to second two yugas. With the advent of Kali , Vyasa condemned such practices in Bhagavatam, even before Buddha, with the understanding that people would misuse and misinterpret scriptures. Also, the same Yajur Vedas hss 8 other chapters in establishing the nature of Brahman, jiva and reality and how Realization is the highest goal of this life. Those 2 chapters for rituals/sacrifices [which vedic scholars don't deny!] even bring out the same message of 8 chapters. We have innumerable upanishads that speak in the lines of non-violence and self-realization, and hence the ones chosen are simply the ones user picks intending to devalue the whole gem of spirituality, which had a completely different pre-text.

What Buddha quotes, may become valid, if people go about sacrificing animals (for higher purpose of heaven) or slaughtering them (for their own pleasure of eating for any reason), which many did little before his time, through literal understanding of scriptures and for the pride or status of performing them. But, Vedas don't prescribe illogic and are not addressed to the reckless. In similar contexts, SamAdhi and Artha-prapatti are still valid and practiced by our Acharyas. If Buddha was so pro about direct perception (meaning no belief in heavenly plane), in similar context, how is his logic of attaining Nirvana (which obviously is escaping rebirth in this world), not a speculation, but direct perception?? How is his 'absolute consciousness' considered 'eternal', any direct perception?? He should first fix his logical fallacy.

In this current era, We all know in pratyaksham, Saibaba (who exhibited simple magic (with objects) but backed by brahmins' wisdom) is considered a legend (with millions following), then how come our rishis with own practice of vedic upAsanas/penances and realizations and exhibited supreme powers with all charisma, and authored many co-herent texts of wisdom, were simple legends? How fair is your conclusion?

Last edited:
My statement was that before sAmkhya-yOga systems, there was no concept of the "trigunas". The word "guna" was taken to mean just the "quality", associated with the five elements (mahabhutas). Hence our earliest Rishis and sages obviously did not explain the diversity in creation on the basis of the "triguna" concept and hence it can be considered at best as a convenient way of looking at things and not as a sine qua non theory.

Kapila's Samkhya had the similar understanding of 24 factors behind the concept of creation. For them the main CAUSE of creation is the PradhAna/Prakriti of 3 gunas. The (apara) Prakriti (Matrix of physical world) in equilibrium/inactive state is said to be in Tamas. Mahat , Ahamkara are evolved from them, then the subtle elements and the gross elements. These 5 elements cannot form the different objects without mixing up in different proportions called 'Panchikarana', which resulted in 5 cognitive senses (sAttvika), 5 conative senses(rAjasic) and mind (ego, chitta, buddhi). Ofcourse, all these subtle senses exist for the experience of the jivAtman/self (para prakriti).

So, you are right in a way like buddhists ;), that we don't see anything other than those 5 elements. But, every object is not neuter, eventhough it has a composition of other qualities, one quality is dominant, this state of being/quality is called guna/nature. Flower has a sAttvika nature of being soft,pleasing,fragrant. Citrus/onions are pungent,acidic in both smell, taste and rough in touch etc. Smoke, CT-scans are obviously hazardous/tamasic. ;) Such 'unique' states of nature gives rise to the various forms/names of objects, while the causal 5 qualities/elements (of pancha-bhutas) itself qualify as neutral or raw.

Our smriti and struti has the mention of all these components, but their primary focus was to establish that the Prakriti and jiva, cannot exist or create themselves, without the power of the Creator. So, later acharyas have disapproved the samkhya's view of not having Brahman as the cause and the self of the universe.

Some references:

'I know this Purusha who is great, who is of the brilliance of the sun and who is beyond tamas (prakriti)'. Sve. Up

He is the master of the primordial nature and of the individual selves (sve II5.13)

The entire universe being deluded by the 3 gunas of prakriti does not recognize me, who is above them and imperishable' Gita 7.13

'Under my guidance, Prakriti gives birth to the moving and the unmoving' - Gita 9.10, 14.3

'Sattva, rajas and tamas are born out of prakrti'. They bind the immutable dweller (self) in the body' - Gita 14.5

Possessing various powers, these elements were unable to produce without combining. But having entered into mutual conjunction, through the creative power of the Lord (devAtma-sakti), they from the Mahat down to the individual beings, produce the BrahmAnda' - Sve Upa. [C, B, A Upa)

They realised Him to be of the form of the wheel, having one rim(prakriti), having 3 constituents (gunas). Sve.Upa 1-4

'In this Brahman wheel, the jiva wanders about so long as it thinks that the self in him is different from the controller (the Lord),. But when the self is blessed by the Lord , it attains immortality'.

"This one is unborn (matter/prakriti) red, white, and black, which gives birth to many creatures similar to itself; and an unborn (jiva/purusha) lies attached to it and enjoys it, while another unborn (realized jiva) gives it up having had its enjoyment" - Nara. Upa - 70, Swe. Upa - 19
[The red refers to activity/rajas, white for sattva/goodness, black for tamas/ignorance]

He who is associated with 3 gunas is the agent of the actions, the enjoyer and the experiencer of its results. Sve. Up 5-7

Last edited:
I do not understand how you make the assertion that "Brahmins are held responsible for "sAttvika dharma". I have also not heard about sAttvika, rAjasik and tAmasik "Dharmas"; will you kindly cite scriptural basis for these?

Bhagavad Gita talks about 3 gunas [chapter 14] and the 3 fold nature of faith [chapters 17, 18].

Of gunas, Sattva being pure, illuminates knowledge; Rajas being activity, creates passion; Tamas being ignorance, creates delusion. -Gita 14-4,16

Hence, faith(sraddha), food(AhAra), sacrifice(yagna), penance(tapas) and offering of gifts(dAna) are also of three fold nature based on 3 gunas. Gita : Chapter 17

According to Lord Krishna, even the knowledge (jnAna), actions(karmA), intellect(buddhi), firmness of mind(dhriti), happiness/result(sukham) and fianlly the agent(kartA/varna) are classified according to the gunas, explained in chapter 18 of Gita.

Control of the senses and the mind, austerity, purity, forbearance, uprightness, wisdom, knowledge and faith in religion, are the duties of brAhmana, born of his nature. Gita 18.43.

Book References:
- Sri Ramanuja Gita Bhasya - Swami Adidevananda (Sri Ramakrishna Mutt, Mylapore)
- The philosophy of Bhagavad Gita - SMS Chari
- Tattva Mukta KalApa - Swamy Desika
http://sundarasimham.org/ebooks/TMKalaapam.pdf
- A dialog on Hinduism
http://saranagathi.org/blogs/gopala-desikan/a-dialog-on-hinduism-matter-and-creation/

Last edited:
Shri Govinda,

You are very well-versed in the Upanishads and other scriptures. So, it may not be possible for me to argue and convince you of my view that whatever is said in our scriptures was of a very ancient time when everything was totally different in this world. If we try to reenact the life of the olden days, believing in whatever those scriptures say, will prove to be impracticable and impossible also, perhaps.

The question here is, as Shri Yamaka has rightly pointed out, the oft-repeated "brahminical" misgiving about eating "onions". I know of "vaadhyaars" who are quite normal and generally mild, peace-loving people, who are willing to take (eat) chapaathis and curry (in which savaala, the big-sized onions, garlic, potatos etc. are used) and also puri-bhaaji, masaala-dosa or any such thing on Sraaddham day in grihastas' houses. When I asked one vaadhyaar why he was breaking the age-old restrictions, his explanation was that we have changed our practices in ever so many ways that just sticking on to one or two such obsolescent restrictions can only create difficulty for the grigastas. He added that if one was unable to contain one's taamasic tendencies by conscious action and believes instead that by regulating what is eaten, this will happen subconsciously, then it is a mistaken notion. The real path to spiritual progress is the conscious effort, even when one may be a householder with wife and children, etc.

I tend to agree with this line of thought. Hence, if somebody wants to experiment with the food-path to liberation, it is his choice, imo.

eating onions

the topic i started long back has evoked reply from so many persons.but none of them has answered directly.i dont want to go deep into vedhas/sastras/geetha/upanishad etc since i am sure no brahmins are living today according to sastras.after the manusmrithi brahmins have changed a lot and their life style is also changed.inspite of the above most of the brahmins including vaidheekas are following some of the basic brahminism.

now once again i request some good vaidhikas of old/new generation to go thro my initial querry and clarify without going deep into the vedhas etc.

pl note i stoped taking onions from may 15 2011 and conitnue to do so till i get a good solution.

ramani

Pl clarify

though brahmins are not supposed to eat onion now it is common in every house.during the shrardham one is advised not to eat onion during the srardha batcham and so also during mahalayam.

Now during the one year period after the death of hia father/mother what is to be observed.whether onion is to be avoided for the entire year or during the period of masigam/sodhakumbam.as some sasthrigal says there is no such blanket ban of onion in sasthra and some says it is not to be taken.
Anybody pl clarify

Shri/Smt. Vijayramanathan, when you say "brahmins are not supposed to eat onion" on what basis is that statement made? Members would have naturally thought that the relevance of sastras is implicit in your OP.

Now, you say in post #20 that you did not want the vedas, sastras etc., to be brought in. This looks unusual.

The answers to the points in your OP without bringing in "vedhas/sastras/geetha/upanishad etc", will be as under:-

1. Nowhere it is laid down that onion is prohibited for brahmins. It is a no-no for Jains only.
2. People abstain from onion only during the day of Sraaddham and the previous day, not during the entire "Paksham".
3. "Mahaalayam" is observed only by very few and this is slowly going out of the picture.
4. No brahmin abstains from onion during the full year after death of one's father/mother. At best they avoid this on the days of maasikam and sodakumbam.

Some benefits from eating onions which your Sastrigal is preventing:—

The thiosulfinates present in onion exhibit antimicrobial properties. Onion is effective against many bacteria including Bacillus subtilis, Salmonella, and E. coli. Onion is not as potent as garlic since the sulfur compounds in onion are only about one-quarter the level found in garlic.

Onions have a variety of medicinal effects. Early American settlers used wild onions to treat colds, coughs, and asthma, and to repel insects. In Chinese medicine, onions have been used to treat angina, coughs, bacterial infections, and breathing problems.

The World Health Organization (WHO) supports the use of onions for the treatment of poor appetite and to prevent atherosclerosis. In addition, onion extracts are recognized by WHO for providing relief in the treatment of coughs and colds, asthma and bronchitis. Onions are known to decrease bronchial spasms. An onion extract was found to decrease allergy-induced bronchial constriction in asthma patients.

Onions are a very rich source of fructo-oligosaccharides. These oligomers stimulate the growth of healthy bifidobacteria and suppress the growth of potentially harmful bacteria in the colon. In addition, they can reduce the risk of tumors developing in the colon.
Cardiovascular Help
Onions contain a number of sulfides similar to those found in garlic which may lower blood lipids and blood pressure. In India, communities that never consumed onions or garlic had blood cholesterol and triglyceride levels substantially higher, and blood clotting times shorter, than the communities that ate liberal amounts of garlic and onions. Onions are a rich source of flavonoids, substances known to provide protection against cardiovascular disease. Onions are also natural anticlotting agents since they possess substances with fibrinolytic activity and can suppress platelet-clumping. The anticlotting effect of onions closely correlates with their sulfur content.

Onion extracts, rich in a variety of sulfides, provide some protection against tumor growth. In central Georgia where Vidalia onions are grown, mortality rates from stomach cancer are about one-half the average level for the United States. Studies in Greece have shown a high consumption of onions, garlic and other allium herbs to be protective against stomach cancer.

Chinese with the highest intake of onions, garlic, and other Allium vegetables have a risk of stomach cancer 40 percent less than those with the lowest intake. Elderly Dutch men and women with the highest onion consumption (at least one-half onion/day) had one-half the level of stomach cancer compared with those consuming no onions at all.

(Health Benefits of Onions)

Dear sri sangom
thank you very much for your direct answer.in dharma sastra surukkam it is mentioned that onions,garlicks etc are like toddy(kallu) for brahmins which i mentioned.ofcourse in normal i used take onion except on dharpan days,pooja days,mahalaya patcham,the day before and after the shrardham.now my mother passed away on 15/05/2011 and my elder brother is performing the monthly masigam,sodhakumbam.the confusion started when my vadhyar advised me not to take onion for one year and another rigvedha ganapadigal told me it is no where in sastra it is prohibited.that is why the clarification is sought.
I am performing mahalayam and on my fathers day it is done anna roopam.now also i am told that till the varushapthigam of my mother i am not supposed to do mahalayam this year.is it correct.

......the confusion started when my vadhyar advised me not to take onion for one year and another rigvedha ganapadigal told me it is no where in sastra it is prohibited.that is why the clarification is sought..
vijayramanathan,

From what you have stated in your posts I gather (i) you want to follow tradition as much as possible, and (ii) would like to continue to eat onion unless it is clearly forbidden. Unfortunately, you now have two contradictory opinions on this matter from two people who ought to know the tradition and with whom you have personal contact. Now you want clarification from members here.

Pardon me, but this approach does not make any sense to me. Why would an opinion expressed here by people about whom you know very little, if not nothing, be more reliable than the one expressed by your vadhyar or the Ghanapati known yo you?

To follow tradition, one can't go shopping for opinion and select one you like best. If you are truly interested in following tradition, then, you need to approach someone whose opinion you respect, like a family elder, and follow the advice given.

Cheers!

onion garlic stimulate rajasic and tamasic endencies.so its been adviced to consume in lesser proportion for brahmins.despite lesser consumption brahmins are voracious in their indulgence in good things in life.

There is a long chain of sources which detail what one should do or eat. Sruti, smruti, dharma sastra, ittihasa, local practices, family practices etc. Finally, one can take advice from his guru. Of course all these are only for those who want to follow traditions. We never complain but follow religiously instructions given by dietitians, gym-assistant or newspaper/tv food columnists. Every dietary suggestion or injunction has a purpose.

Recently in one spiritual cum management weekend retreat seminar, the participants were told to be 100% vegetarian throughout. One couple (religion not disclosed to keep secular image) brought and ate meat sandwiches and vociferously justified the act. They were unloaded and asked to drop out.

It is upto to the individual to decide whether to follow his family traditions and values or jump the fence. That is not a difficult decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back