• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Eating onions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dear sri sangom
thank you very much for your direct answer.in dharma sastra surukkam it is mentioned that onions,garlicks etc are like toddy(kallu) for brahmins which i mentioned.ofcourse in normal i used take onion except on dharpan days,pooja days,mahalaya patcham,the day before and after the shrardham.now my mother passed away on 15/05/2011 and my elder brother is performing the monthly masigam,sodhakumbam.the confusion started when my vadhyar advised me not to take onion for one year and another rigvedha ganapadigal told me it is no where in sastra it is prohibited.that is why the clarification is sought.
I am performing mahalayam and on my fathers day it is done anna roopam.now also i am told that till the varushapthigam of my mother i am not supposed to do mahalayam this year.is it correct.

Yes it is correct. But I would very humbly like to bring to your notice the views recorded by Shri Sarang, who appears to me to be one following the orthodox route, and Shri Nara who is an atheist; both feel that in matters such as these (what to eat or avoid) it is for each person to take a firm decision and so I tend to support this view. In your case you seem to be seeking opinions from different sources because (this is what appears to me) you do not basically do not have an opinion of your own nor do you trust one or the other purohit. There is a saying "samSayAtmA vinaSyati"; so come to some decision, start trusting some one and follow his/her advice in such matters. For example, I do not avoid onions, garlic, etc., if used in cooking, nor am I particularly fond of these; and I do not think whatever escapes my body on my death (if there is some such thing because I do not know) will go to some eternal hell due to such practices.

both feel that in matters such as these (what to eat or avoid) it is for each person to take a firm decision and so I tend to support this view.

For example, I do not avoid onions, garlic, etc., if used in cooking, nor am I particularly fond of these; and I do not think whatever escapes my body on my death (if there is some such thing because I do not know) will go to some eternal hell due to such practices.

We are entitled to our views/opinions/situations. But, the same things would have happened in the past, who knows, the Scholars would have voiced about dharmA and its adherence [in matters of violence, slavery etc], what if people didn't listen and considered as simple 'orthodoxy'? So, I think we should be pro-active in giving all sorts of views, be logical or not and not be blamed later for lack of participation/education.

Last edited:
onions garlic makes one rajasic.in gunas such foods are active,bring about sexual appettite to the fore in some cases.i personally believe even if you do not eat onion or garlic,at certain age certains hormones gets activated regardless of food proclivity.

onions garlic makes one rajasic.in gunas such foods are active,bring about sexual appettite to the fore in some cases.i personally believe even if you do not eat onion or garlic,at certain age certains hormones gets activated regardless of food proclivity.
hi NN
more onion/garlic in food.....man always top to than woman.....according woman domination......if u think woman on top.....then less

onion.....purinchithaaaaaaaaaaaa...lol

regards
tbs

....onion.....purinchithaaaaaaaaaaaa...lol
என்னப்பா இது ஒரே ஜொள்ளு பார்ட்டியா இருக்கும்போல இருக்கு. எவ்வளுவுதான் வெங்காயம் சாப்பிட்டாலும் ஒண்ணுத்துக்கும் ஒதவாது மன்மதன் ஸார், நாத்தம் அடிக்கறது தான் மிச்சம். வேலையப்பாருங்கைய்யா, வயசாகிலை!!

Eating onions by Brahmins RIGHT /WRONG has no meaning If onion is a bad one GOD would not have created.
Even with out eating onions those days Brahmins have 11 to 12 children.

Eating onions by Brahmins RIGHT /WRONG has no meaning If onion is a bad one GOD would not have created.
Even with out eating onions those days Brahmins have 11 to 12 children.

Illogic! Not to be raw, but with onion/garlic and without condoms, this generation would have atleast 144 kids (out of monogamy). Atlast I am proud of one scientific invention, else by now our world would have seen 44 billion.Our ancestors exercised better self-control. But, we have lost our self-control and needed scientific measures to mask our mind.

I know why India is the second largest producer of Onions and first largest produce of dumb romantic movies. We, ourselves have the largest consumer watching those stupid movies. What more link/evidence we want? Anyway wiki has the medicinal properties of onions.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Onion#Possible_medicinal_properties_and_health_effects_of_onions

If onion is a bad one GOD would not have created..

God has also created microwaves, nuclear material, poisonous weeds. He has also given intellect for reasoning and free will to ruin ourselves. Onion/garlic is not very harmful, but we can't apply the same reasoning for everything.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back