• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

drinking raw egg

Status
Not open for further replies.
personally, i think today's north america and europe too maybe, are a vegetarians' delight.

in 1973, when i first came to canada, i had a chance meeting with one of my professiors, who seeing my meagre cart, and with no meat in it, asked me semi mockingly, if i was a vegetarian?

today, the attitude has changed, and in many white families i know, there is in oddball vegan, vegetarian or folks who live on raw foods & nuts.

but for the average indian vegetarian, there is a whole new world of other cuisines, which our parents were not aware.

one can cook excellent mexican and italian foods, with absolutely no meat. then there is the healthiest way to cook, flash heat of vegetables in a wok with sauce to flaovour, ie stir fry. one gets to lovvv the crunchy bite of the carrots and the broccoli, which gets mushy in whatever form we cook per indian recipes.

to my own parents, poori/chappathi was 'foreign', and i still remember my mother taking hints from a north indian domiciled relative, as to how to get the chapathi soft and fluffy, with layers, and little ghee. :)

here is my special veggie italian sauce; goes with all pasta: you can add cheese (any type) to flavour. also hot sauce.

ingredients:
- a can of crushed tomatos 28 oz (796 ml),
- cricket ball sized onion, (green, red, yellow) pepper
- one cup chopped, mushrooms (optional)
- 1 cup sliced,
- salt 1/2 teaspoon (t),
- 1 Tablespoon (T), crushed oregano
- 1 t heaped, crushed oregonao 1 t heaped,
- ground black pepper 1/4 t,
- garlic 4 pods crushed,
- (olive preferred) 4 T.(you can add another 2 o3 olive oil as it gives a good flavour)
- 1/4 cup red wine (very optional - alcohol will evaporate)
- water 1 cup initially, add more to preffered consistency of the sauce

- heat oil, sautee onion, then add the peppers, mushrooms and heat to brown
- add 1 can of crushed tomatos
- right away add all the other ingredients
- cook low heat to simmer for 1 hour, till the sauce groups together, thickens with the vegetables coming together and releasing the aroma.

can be kept for a couple of weeks in the fridge

- goes with any type of pasta. taste better a couple of days later. good for lunches. gets the other tongues drooling :)

Dear Kunjs,

You know always check the cheese cos most cheese have Cow Rennet.
There are some cheese where Bacterial Enzyme Rennet is used and that might be Ok for Vegetarians.

Please read this article to know how silver foils spread over sweets
and 'chunna' applied over pAn are made!!
:hungry:

Jain World

Yup there was a similar article in Sambhashana Sandesha before about Silver Foil.
Thank God I am not fond of sweets and never eaten Silver Foil before in my life.

Thanks for the link anyway maam.

Dear Kunjs,

You know always check the cheese cos most cheese have Cow Rennet.
There are some cheese where Bacterial Enzyme Rennet is used and that might be Ok for Vegetarians.

Please read this article to know how silver foils spread over sweets
and 'chunna' applied over pAn are made!!
:hungry:

Jain World

interesting. this is new info to me.

thanks for sharing - ll ve to avoid both of those now :).

[/FONT]

interesting. this is new info to me.

thanks for sharing - ll ve to avoid both of those now :).

Medicine capsules, jelly, some chocolates, and a host of other modern food items contain rennet, L-cysteine, gelatin, etc., which are all derived from slaughter house produces. Even tomato sauce may at times contain animal-derived (read, by killing animals) flavours.

Medicine capsules, jelly, some chocolates, and a host of other modern food items contain rennet, L-cysteine, gelatin, etc., which are all derived from slaughter house produces. Even tomato sauce may at times contain animal-derived (read, by killing animals) flavours.

excellent !

is there anything that i can trust to eat at all :( ?

.... is there anything that i can trust to eat at all :( ?

My mother-in-law used to say that even a strict vegetarian will eat NV stuff equivalent to the size of a goat's head,

in his / her life time! She was talking about her time, when food was prepared at home and there were no silver foiled

sweets, ketchup and so on! So, what will be our plight??:noidea:

My opinion is that though one may if they please be strict about vegetarianism so that they can feel happy, they should realize that a worthy life is gained by making a worthy contribution to society. Being a vegetarian is no contribution at all.

while malleable hammering , silver foil coming in contact with animal intestine shouldnt be a worrying thing, when one got to know the milk secretion process in the udder.

milk passes through almost 2 km length of animal tracts, blends with 6 animal enzymes and 4 glands.

the surface area of animal contact in producing the silver foil is less than 1/100, compared to the animal body contact, the milk has to go through in the lactation process.

while malleable hammering , silver foil coming in contact with animal intestine shouldnt be a worrying thing, when one got to know the milk secretion process in the udder.

milk passes through almost 2 km length of animal tracts, blends with 6 animal enzymes and 4 glands.

the surface area of animal contact in producing the silver foil is less than 1/100, compared to the animal body contact, the milk has to go through in the lactation process.

Thats totally different cos the animal doesnt die to lactate.Its just like how mothers breast feed their babies.
We are concerned about consuming/using anything that had directly or indirectly contributed to the death of an animal.

I have been trying to understand the TB Mind and their stand on vegetarianism. In the beginning most TBs start their vegetarian innings because of family habits and the intricately mixed fears of pollution and causing harm to animals. Over a period, one group the predominating factor is fear of pollution. But when this group sees that other TBs are also lax, there is relaxation. This group comes from the orthodox banner who are becoming less orthodox.

The other group are the for the cause brahmins, these tend to take up issues with even silk at later life.

The third group is take it easy. They dont eat meat because fears of pollution are strongly ingrained. But to others they boast about vegetarianism as an animal friendly practice. When it comes to private life, even if they are told that this cheese contains animal rennert or that chocolate is made from insects, they think a bit and eat it anyway since they dont see visible forms of pollution

The fact that TBs have been traditionally using slaughter house products like leather,, like silk indicate that the main reason the general population continued to be vegetarian is that they were afraid of being polluted . One can see more of this in the earlier generation. At that time no big deal was made about animal friendliness but now these same fears gets sugar-coated in the name of animal-friendliness. I agree there were exceptions throughout.

I have been trying to understand the TB Mind and their stand on vegetarianism. In the beginning most TBs start their vegetarian innings because of family habits and the intricately mixed fears of pollution and causing harm to animals. Over a period, one group the predominating factor is fear of pollution. But when this group sees that other TBs are also lax, there is relaxation. This group comes from the orthodox banner who are becoming less orthodox.

The other group are the for the cause brahmins, these tend to take up issues with even silk at later life.

The third group is take it easy. They dont eat meat because fears of pollution are strongly ingrained. But to others they boast about vegetarianism as an animal friendly practice. When it comes to private life, even if they are told that this cheese contains animal rennert or that chocolate is made from insects, they think a bit and eat it anyway since they dont see visible forms of pollution

The fact that TBs have been traditionally using slaughter house products like leather,, like silk indicate that the main reason the general population continued to be vegetarian is that they were afraid of being polluted . One can see more of this in the earlier generation. At that time no big deal was made about animal friendliness but now these same fears gets sugar-coated in the name of animal-friendliness. I agree there were exceptions throughout.

I wouldnt be wrong to say Vegetarianism is just a lifestyle for many in India.
I have seen many vegetarians who dont have any compassion for animals and will even kick dogs and cats.

Even though both my parents are vegetarians but being in Malaysia they brought me and my 2 brothers up as Non Veg and told us make your own decision when you reach adulthood.

I was Non Veg till the age of 19.
I gave up eating Non Veg cos I always felt uneasy about taking life and felt pity for animals and I would cry so easily when I saw any dead animal on the road.
Also Non Veg food made me kind of sleepy and not too alert dont know why.
So at age of 19 when I decided to turn Veg forever.

When I was trainee doctor..there was one Surgeon(Non Brahmin) who had married a TB doc from India and he used to tell me that she even eats beef now after marrying him and he was so proud that he had converted a TB pure veg girl into a beef eating one now.He also told me that if you hang around longer in my department i can easily convert you back into Non Veg.

I told him "Sir for your wife she was veg becos of lifestyle so now her lifestyle has changed..for me i am veg on grounds of compassion and compassion doesnt change"

excellent !

is there anything that i can trust to eat at all :( ?

Stick meticulously to old world tabra cooking at home and eat only what is prepared at home from the basic raw materials. Avoid all manufactured food items, including pickles, powders (rasam, saambaar, etc.) and the modern food items.

Shri Subbudu,

Your view may be quite correct. But in my childhood no brahmin used a leather purse or belt, chappals were not used and if someone had to walk without getting polluted because the way was dirty and all, the menfolk used "methiyaDi" type of sandals made from a particular type of wood which is now as costly as gold ;) Womenfolk will avoid such trip.

Silk was of course a very coveted item, but owning silk "puDavais" (the 9yds type) was only for the real upper crust among tabras; for others, the only item was the kooRai puDavai and most people were not aware how the silk yarn was obtained, imho. But male tabras would not use silk for any religious occasion; only the veshti made of naarpattu - still available in W.B. and some parts of Assam but at very high prices. The shaven widows valued possessing at least one naarpaTTu puDavai and it was considered like a status statement.

So, imo, the fear of pollution and kindness to animals were there strongly in the minds of tabras of old also but the points of interface, so to say, were very much less.

Last edited:
Stick meticulously to old world tabra cooking at home and eat only what is prepared at home from the basic raw materials. Avoid all manufactured food items, including pickles, powders (rasam, saambaar, etc.) and the modern food items.

now that i am back staying with my parents, i guess i am fine as of now.

but the info you all provided helps a lot in deciding on what to choose / what not to , while staying out :).

after eating day-in and day-out @ hotels for a good 4 ~ 4.5 years , i am all for home cooked food :) !

That is, until i am not the one cooking :D ...

he was so proud that he had converted a TB pure veg girl into a beef eating one now.

this is what i meant when i said , trying to un-brahmanize people instead of accepting them for what they are. Personally, this makes me afraid if this thousands of years old way of living will get wiped out in the next few decades.

"for your wife she was veg becos of lifestyle so now her lifestyle has changed..for me i am veg on grounds of compassion and compassion doesnt change"

Nicely put. That is the difference between 1) realizing the goodness before following it and 2) following the good things for the sake of brought - ups / lifestyles.

The trouble with the second kind is - they just dont know the value of what they are doing. It is something simillar to saying, we never learn the value of what we have with us, unless we miss that.

And people who can think and decide about what they want to do before doing it , form some of the smartest ones around.
Cheers !

Shri Subbudu,

Your view may be quite correct. But in my childhood no brahmin used a leather purse, chappals were not used and if someone had to walk without getting polluted because the way was dirty and all, the menfolk used "methiyaDi" type of sandals made from a particular type of wood which is now as costly as gold ;) Womenfolk will avoid such trip.

Silk was of course a very coveted item, but owning silk "puDavais" (the 9yds type) was only for the real upper crust among tabras; for others, the only item was the kooRai puDavai and most people were not aware how the silk yarn was obtained, imho. But male tabras would not use silk for any religious occasion; only the veshti made of naarpattu - still available in W.B. and some parts of Assam but at very high prices. The shaven widows valued possessing at least one naarpaTTu puDavai and it was considered like a status statement.

So, imo, the fear of pollution and kindness to animals were there strongly in the minds of tabras of old also but the points of interface, so to say, were very much less.
Dear Sangom

I was always thinking that there was no real ban on silk. It is interesting to see other possibilities. Here is a reference for our readers on ancient silk in India, an interesting article. Would like to see some comments
"Silk" in India from antiquity.

this is what i meant when i said , trying to un-brahmanize people instead of accepting them for what they are. Personally, this makes me afraid if this thousands of years old way of living will get wiped out in the next few decades.

not nb's, but the major threat is coming from the west and indian govt, in the name of health,fashion and aspiration.

indian govt has successfully indoctrinated by its tv adds through NEEC promoting egg as a healthy diet.

west had brought in an aspiration among to try non veg, though KFC and McD.

now that i am back staying with my parents, i guess i am fine as of now.

but the info you all provided helps a lot in deciding on what to choose / what not to , while staying out :).

after eating day-in and day-out @ hotels for a good 4 ~ 4.5 years , i am all for home cooked food :) !

That is, until i am not the one cooking :D ...

Shri iyengaar,

A brahmin must be able to cook, at least for himself, if not for his full family. And, wherever he goes, he should be able to get "some" facility for cooking his simple "thayir saadam" and home-made pickles.

Dear Sangom

I was always thinking that there was no real ban on silk. It is interesting to see other possibilities. Here is a reference for our readers on ancient silk in India, an interesting article. Would like to see some comments
"Silk" in India from antiquity.

Shri Subbudu,

To my mind "KouSEya" will be more likely linked to "kuSa" grass rather than the coccoon from which the pupa had flown away as moth. May be the apparel made from the edges of the kuSa grass blades went out of fashion in course of time and the vaazhai naar paTTu took over because it is, even today, a shade better and comfortable than the "Pure silk" vEshTi. Incidentally vaazhai is also a grass ;)

I will give further comments, if any, after reading the entire blog.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back