• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Dravidian Nationalism and caste reservation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shri. Nara,

If I may be allowed to give my opinion on some of your points,

Come on Hari, which planet are you living in? :) Most brahmins I have come across think of themselves as gift to humanity from the heavens. They think they are the smartest people in India. They think their culture is more refined. When Jamadagnya poured some of his filth there were many here openly congratulating him for saying things that perhaps they felt shy to admit in the open.

Honestly, professor,you have to do better than this. A feeling of superiority does not amount to discrimination. If Harvard University says they are the best does it mean they think all other universities are useless. The Indian cricket coach said yesterday "Not for nothing we are the number one team in the world". Does it mean he is discriminating against the South African team. The brahmins, especially the tambrahms took a justified pride in their achievements because they once dominated the engineering, accounting and administrative fields and they did it well. I have also seen the self-deprecating attitude of brahmins who called themselves "thair sadam" because they knew they were pretty useless in business and good enough only to serve others. There were a host of other jobs the brahmins were totally useless in -the blue collared jobs like carpentry, electrical or plumbing. About 30-35 years back one could find very good carpenters, electricians or plumbers who were excellent. I remember an incident where once a plumber who came in to fix something saw my grandpa doing Sandhya and jokingly remarked "இந்த பூஜையெல்லாம் சரி ஐயரே, இந்த கொழாவே ஒன்னாலே சரி பண்ண முடியுமா". Can I say the plumber had a derogatory view of the pooja and had a discriminatory view of the brahmins. You cannot equate a sense of achievement and pride in what they do with discrimination.

How many here are ready to condemn Manu dharmshasthras as a vile document? The best we can expect is a push back with, "nobody cares about Manu anymore" or some equivalent of that. But open and unequivocal condemnation will come only from a few.

Today I saw a NDTV video where a Dalit woman was getting beaten up by a police inspector. Suppose I go and tell the Dalit woman that it is Manu's document which is making the inspector beat her, is it going to make her feel much better or give comfort to the inspector that Manu himself has authorized these things. Can't we start concentrating on how to actually stop these things from happening rather than blaming the poor guy Manu and his document?

What is different now from about 30/40 years ago is Brahmins no longer express these prejudices in the open. They have all sorts of social interaction, but only as individuals from different "tribes", in other words, coexistence without losing separateness. Even now, in the year 2009, this has not changed in Chennai. There is no time or appetite to practice open casteism in the cities. That is not an indication of absence of casteist feelings or absence of caste exclusive behavior in their lives. Caste based congregations, perhaps by self selection, do continue. Caste based solidarity continues, as evidenced by the objectives of this forum, charities that are promoted to serve only brahmins, and the caste-exclusive swayamvarams.

I see no harm in taking care of your community's interests. If every community does it, then everyone can thrive. The modern day world is just an extension of this where a country takes care of its citizens first, an employer takes care of his employees first, a school takes care of its pupils first and so on. I always feel the discrimination in the mind is what you need to address first and not the seemingly outward symbols of discrimination. There is enough literature available which says that caste-ism promoted a strong sense of identity and achievement within the members of that community. It has become a much abused system now just like the political system, media, police or the judiciary.

I have a feeling you live in a more cosmopolitan North Indian city, so your experience may be somewhat different. However, even in one of the most cosmopolitan of cities, Mumbai, I could sense this. But then, I only visited Chembur there, which I know is not representative of entire Mumbai, but is certainly representative of TBs in Mumbai.

I know lot has changed and still changing. I have high hopes with the 20 something youngsters of today. All my nephews and nieces in India have very progressive outlook and I believe they have the potential to blow this thing away like a bad dream.

Good luck to you and your feelings about youngsters. We need to go with the flow. Anything which creates harmony and peace has to be encouraged. My only complaint is "Are brahmins the only or the major reason for these ills?".

I don't follow this. Perhaps my use of the phrase "fashioning the lives" is incorrect. What I am saying is caste feeling is ever present, it may not get expressed in the same way as in the past, but does play a big role in how brahmins interact with everyone else, as do others as well, but I am talking about brahmins here.

Even in my Kollu thattha and patti generation I found no discrimination against the non-brahmin servants of the household. Due to rules of madi and aacharam, certain things were not allowed. But these applied equally to me as well in those times. Honestly, I don't know what you consider as discrimination. We have a Christian housemaid who does everything other than entering our pooja room. We don't allow her inside the pooja room because she eats non-veg in her house. She does help my wife sometimes in cooking. This may seem like discrimination to you but to me it is not because I am doing this as some of her practices does not suit us. We don't insult her or treat her inhumanely. We helped her with her son's education. If you call me a hypocrite, I may agree but not discriminatory.

Just a few weeks ago I was reminded that in swayamvarams that have been conducted people do not even want to consider Iyengar/Iyer combination. I know of many Iyengars who would consider a Vadakali/Thenkalai combination inter-caste marriage. Go figure.

You seem to harbor some visceral loathing for dravidian politicians. They deserve quite a bit of it, I am sure. But it is not about them. It is about (i) the common people, and (ii) the brahmins themselves. This symbolism will be lot different from Gandhi's picture in currency. That is why the later has already happened, and the former will happen when the figurative hell freezes over.

To each his own. I feel you have a visceral loathing for brahmins.

According to the 2001 census, Christians are 2.3% with a 10 year growth rate of 22.6%, and for muslims 13.4% and 29.5%, and for hinuds 80.5% and 20.3%, respectively. This is hardly an existential threat.

I quite agree with Hari on this. Statistically, Hindus are a huge majority but India has to retain its Hinduness as emphasized by Annie Besant to work as a country just like America's uniqueness comes from its Christian majority or the Gulf countries should retain its Islamic identities. In other words, every country should retain its original identity which came with the culture, traditions and customs of its majority population. It is more so with India as this is the last bastion for the Hindus and its culture. But the solution to conversion lies with the Hindus themselves. They have to retain their Hinduness to keep the other threats at bay.

But, that is not my point at all. Free exercise of religion is not only a hallmark of a liberal democratic nation, but it is enshrined as a fundamental right in the constitution. Therefore, if we want to stop these proselytizers without becoming a Saudi Arabia is to take away one of the strongest recruiting argument from their arsenal, namely, social inequality endemic to hindu religion. If this is done, not only would we create an equitable society, but as an added bonus, the conversions to escape social inequity will vanish. If conversions is such an existential threat as you say, it is even more urgent to do away with the caste system forthwith.

It is funny that the Christians (West) and the Moslems (Mughals) who were responsible for the destruction of most of the native cultures and traditions throughout the world ruled India for almost 1000 years but still could not subjugate it completely. One reason given by a lot of Western Indologists as well as Indians was the existence of the caste system. The caste system as it existed and understood in those times gave a strong sense of identity and achievement to the members that it was difficult to actually convert them to other religions. Refer to this link on a book written by Lall who says that the caste system was one reason which stopped the Islamisation of India.

Chapter 6 - Factors which Checked Islamization of India

I think the reason why these lower castes are targeted by conversions is the atrocities perpetrated in the name of caste by goons from other castes. I think it is the economic status and not caste which is making them a ripe target for conversions.

Thanks

Dear Anand, Greetings!

I welcome your participation Anand, I am glad to respond to any serious comments.

A feeling of superiority does not amount to discrimination. If Harvard University says

I agree, a feeling of superiority does not amount to discrimination, but the feeling of superiority on one's caste is the seed from which grows the ugly tree of domination. Brahmins as a community, have traditionally viewed physical labor not only with disgust, but considered some physical labor like farming and cleaning as downright polluting and labeled those engaging in such labor untouchable. One wouldn't find a brahmin plumber or electrician, not because of any caste based predisposition to suck at these occupations, but because they all had the economic and cultural advantages to become accountants, engineers, and doctors, none of which are traditional TB occupations either. May be my family was unique in looking down upon blue-collar occupations, but I doubt it.

Can't we start concentrating on how to actually stop these things from happening rather than blaming the poor guy Manu and his document?
Poor guy that Manu, isn't?!!

This just proves my point I was making with Hari. Whatever the case may be, brahmins can't bring themselves to reject Manu.

I see no harm in taking care of your community's interests.
Hari thought caste did not play a part in the lives of people living in cities. But the community, an euphemism for caste, based charities, etc. goes to show that is not so. Caste may be obvious in villages and small towns, but it is not absent or inconsequential in big cities. It still pays a major role in the daily lives of people.

BTW, I find it interesting that those who oppose caste based reservation find nothing wrong with caste motivated charities and social work.

The caste-based solidarity, identity and pride is a problem, for which each individual must do some honest introspection, and not look for how much can we blame others for it.

To each his own. I feel you have a visceral loathing for brahmins.
Dear Anand, if you feel I have a visceral loathing for brahmins, you must think I enjoy living with people I loath. A vast majority of people I know and love and respect happen to be brahmins. I would like to love people without even caring to know what caste or religion or any such nonsense. It is Brahminism which venerates a varna system based on karma and rebirth that I loath.

Blame it on OBC is not an honest response. I am pretty sure that none of the OBC landlords get their hands dirty any more than the brahmins. The "OBC goons" are products of the varna/caste system and are getting exploited by the powerful.

every country should retain its original identity which came with the culture, traditions and customs of its majority population.
If your concern is to preserve the culture of the people of India, then, I submit to you, it is not an existential threat, it is a lost cause. The whole world is slowly but steadily becoming Americanized. Brahmin youth are at the vanguard of this trend. It is probably the "OBC goons" who keep these Hindu cultural traditions alive. Isn't BJP, the guardians of Hindutva, an OBC party?

The question is not whether or not to preserve the dominant cultural identity. The good aspects must be preserved and the bad ones must be jettisoned, but documented so that we do not forget or rewrite our past. The question between Hari and I was about proselytizing being an existential threat to Hindu culture. The statistics don't bear this out.

The caste system as it existed and understood in those times gave a strong sense of identity and achievement to the members that it was difficult to actually convert them to other religions. Refer to this link on a book written by Lall who says that the caste system was one reason which stopped the Islamisation of India.
Anand, I read the chapter you cited from K.S.Lal's book. K.S. Lal was RSS spokesman and a historian with an agenda. His books came under a lot of criticisms. Even so, I don't think Lal's words give you the kind of support you can feel good about. Here is a small quote from the chapter you cited.
"Caste-system was bad, but it had two redeeming features. One was that since the low classes were ‘distinguished only by their occupations’ and they intermarried, there was occupational and vocational mobility and also perhaps some sort of social Sanskritization. Another is that it had (and has) an hierchical structure, and even low caste people feel proud of being superior to some other lower castes."
First, note that Lal thinks caste-system is bad. Second, he thinks it has only two redeeming features, and they are, (i) low castes inter-marry, and (ii) everyone gets to feel proud and superior to those lower than themselves. Lal doesn't say anything about those who are at the bottom.

Here is another one:
"There was also a sense of pride in belonging to one?s caste whether high or low. However, for any error caste did not fail to punish, and sometimes even ostracized the delinquent whether or not the act of omission or commission was due to his own fault."
Perhaps this was how wayward members of caste are kept in line by the elders. But when you are at the bottom of totem, the only way to keep them from leaving is through threat of violence from the "OBC goons" whose handy work just might warm the hearts of the keepers of the ancient religion and tradition.

This is getting somewhat unwieldy with too many points ranging from brahmin snobbishness to cultural identity of Hindus. We lose focus when this happens. Anyway, the general thrust of what I would like to say can be summarized as given below.

• brahmins bear a large responsibility for the varna/caste system
  • OBC being culpable does not diminish brahmin's responsibility
  • it is impractical to expect any major changes from the leaders, both in the political realm and religious realm
  • however, we as individuals can alter our own outlook
  • brahmins must make caste as unimportant as possible in their own daily lives
  • stop blaming others, like govt., politicians, et al for caste
  • conversion is not a threat as it is made out to be, but this kind of does not seem to belong here -- can be discussed in a separate thread if anyone cares to answer Pinto in a serious manner.
Cheers!

Pardon me,for the intrusion between you and Anand,

Dear Anand, if you feel I have a visceral loathing for brahmins, you must think I enjoy living with people I loath. A vast majority of people I know and love and respect happen to be brahmins. I would like to love people without even caring to know what caste or religion or any such nonsense. It is Brahminism which venerates a varna system based on karma and rebirth that I loath.
brahmins bear a large responsibility for the varna/caste system
OBC being culpable does not diminish brahmin's responsibility
it is impractical to expect any major changes from the leaders, both in the political realm and religious realm
however, we as individuals can alter our own outlook
brahmins must make caste as unimportant as possible in their own daily lives
stop blaming others, like govt., politicians, et al for caste
conversion is not a threat as it is made out to be, but this kind of does not seem to belong here -- can be discussed in a separate thread if anyone cares to answer Pinto in a serious manner.

When we have friends in the forum like this,do we need enemies?Nara,seriously,whats going on?Wonder what other paradigm shifts you have for our brothers & sisters,in the American community.God bless America.

Christians are awaiting for the coming of Christ again!!Islam is awaiting the Maghdi!!Hindus are awiting for Bhagavan Kalki from the Vaishnava camp!!Wonder what buddhist,jains,sikhs........etc have in the scriptures...obviously you loathe religion of any variety,at least thats what i am inferring,correct me if i am wrong...or is it us Tamizh Brahmins only variety of Brahminism?that you loathe...????

nachi naga.

Sri.Nachi Naga,

Kindly allow me to differ with you, please. I very humbly request you analyse Sri.Nara. It is not easy though. I shall provide you with a clue..'the height of sweetness is bitter'. Sorry Sir, I am hurt when I read 'when we have friends like this, do we need enemies?'. I am willing to give 100% benefit of doubt to you, Sir. Sri.Nara loves Tamizh, Tamizh Brahmins. I am sorry, you are not seeing it.

Cheers!

re

Raghy,

Elsewhere in the forum,i have also complimented Nara for churning the discussion to get Amritham.But yet sir,again you reflect your character like in the quoting wrongly in bhagavad gita thread.If an ordinary mortal like Nara in a virtual forum can seemingly produce hurt to your feelings,just imagine multitudes of bhakthas of various sampradayas would feel?Its not my intent to hurt you and your fellow Iyengar brother as a smartha,but truth is bitter sometimes.Truthfully sir,you ought to look within you and think,are you being fair to me,Nara and rest of the forum members.Controversy makes news ,no doubt,maybe even the views will get more attention,probably owing to superb social service our website members are physically carrying out,they are walking the talk,so please stop writing to me about your perceived hurt,when i have not hurt anyone.On the contrary,both you Tamizh Brahmins,dunno what you are now,as Nara has written he is agnostic,so i at least to certain extent know a mindset of a upholder like Nara...but you sir?,you need to re-think,though i agree to disagree with your disagreeable comment on me..despite that,sorry if you have been hurt,take it easy ...

ellamay eduthikkira vidhathil thaaan irkkiradhu.nalla thagavay ninaithaal,ellamay nalladagavay thonrum.

I request you not to prod further on this line of posting,from my side i will ignore any furheration,about such mattes.

nachi naga.

Sri.Nachi Naga,

I am sorry I am writing this inspite of your request.

It is okay to get annoyed with me. I already mentioned that I am giving you 100% benefit of doubt. What can you do? In every single post, in every single thread I seem to oppose caste brahmins. (Actually, I am the only one in this forum who referes brahmins as 'caste brahmins', since I clearly differentiate between caste and varna). I do not restrict myself as an iyengar. Sir, when I said It 'hurts me', only I meant the lack of understanding of Sri.Nara. I can say what I am now... this I said in my very first post Sir...there is no secret about it. I am a humanist. Quoting Bhagavat Gita wrongly? interesting! Sir, Sri.Nara does not require my support. I admire him, not because he was an Iyengar once. If you notice my postings, I always said 'I grew up in an Iyengar family'. I did not say I was born in an Iyengar family. I do not know. Sir, what you think you see is not what you are seeing.

Cheers!

ok raghy,maybe i dont know.my definition of brahmin is different applicable to me.i consider myself to be a wave in a ocean,as a part of the whole world,an anda of the bramandam.i truly am dismayed i am unable to see you or naras,pov.sorry again sir.virtual forum has its own limitation in interaction,i know this much.sir no hard feeling to you or any one of my brothers and sisters here in the forum.thanks.

nachi naga.

Sri.Nachi Naga,

I have no hard feelings towards you. In this forum most if not all the members are broad minded. I do not know whether you read Sri.Nara's comments in 'Enge Sri Vaishnavam?'; about 'vada kalai and then kalai' etc. His method of getting someone to think is by debate method. It is very common in the academic circles. All my assignments in the university were critical analysis and discussions. I don't critically analyse here; so, seldom he debates with me. My methods are different. I discuss the points supplied by the opponent; I seldom supply a new point.

Sir, kindly don't get emotional. Most if not all my posts not meant to hurt anyone's feelings.

Cheers!

......Its not my intent to hurt you and your fellow Iyengar brother as a smartha,

Dear Raghy, may be it is a sign of age, or the lessons learned from children, when it comes to reacting to getting called names, I am a veritable எருமை மாடு. These things do not bother me. But this morning when I saw the above nugget I felt bad for you. I feel proud to count you as my brother, but bringing in caste identity as the reason for our mutual respect and affection is unpardonable. (Note to Hari -- see caste feelings are not dead, urban India is not caste agnostic.)

But, there was another surprise this morning, a friendly and polite message from a moderator to "stick with constructive exchange of views and not to make any personal comments." to all three, the one who called the names, the one who stood up to him, and the one who was just a bystander minding his own business, even though it was his name being discussed.

I like this forum very much, I have made great friends. It is absolutely the best when it comes to free and yet civil exchange of views. So, I don't want to get on the bad side of the moderators and get banned. But, it is disconcerting to see discrimination being abandoned when it is required.

Cheers!

Last edited by a moderator:
happy hindu ji,

let me at the outset clarify that i dont believe in all that i write. :)

my remark about 'obc' lord, is a "strawman" response to the "strawman" argument of the dmk / dk that caste exists "only" because brahmins want it.

let me also clarify, if it isnt apparent, that my reference to 'obc' only includes the dmk / dk politicians and those who sympathise or identify with their "ideals" (!!??)

now for the record, i know the reality as much as you know too, that bhagavad gita is an "insertion".

my point is this :

as much as the obc pols claim that brahmins inserted the bg and anointed an 'obc' to justify the caste system, it is equally possible that an obc could have inserted the bg and placed the brahmin at the top of the hierarchy to escape criticism....

i mean conjecturing can work either ways, is what i wanted to drive home.

i apologise if any of my remarks has hurt you, trust me, it wasnt intended.

proj nara ji, my responses

pnj : I don't think TN politicians ever behaved like the Shiv Senaites Maharashtrai. No dravidian party has called for the North Indians to leave TN. Also, On the other hand, in Karnataka, there is Shiv Sena like opposition to Tamils. So, I wouldn't put TN with Maharashtra, may be Karnataka.

it is true that dmk / dk dont hold chennai to ransom like ss does with mumbai but that's no reason to exonerate them. dmk / dk has been equally if not more vitriolic about "non-dravidians" and treats non-tamilians with rancor. it is not overt, if that's of any comfort but i wouldnt place the dmk/dk and ss very far apart.

even from a "organizational hierarchy" both ss and dmk are very similar....2 grand old men each having 2 hier apparents who dont see eye to eye. cant get any closer than this.

pnj : A lady of Brahmin birth married Dr. B.R. Ambedkar. But these instances show that in proportion more Brahmins are willing to shed not just their own caste identity, but the entire hierarchical caste system. This is not a triumph of Brahmins or Brahminsm, after all, by doing so they reject one of the central pillars of Brahminsim, namely, karma-reincarnation-caste. This is a victory for common decency and humanity. More of this should happen with more people from all castes, FC, BC, OBC, and all.

you are a hard task master, arent you :)

i never ventured to suggest that inter-caste marriages involving the brahmins is a triumph of "brahmanism", how can that be ?

i was only trying to buttress my point that brahmins are at the pole position as far as the social engineering is concerned. because there's so much which is not common between brahmins and say a dalit in terms of 'practices' there's a need for greater adjustment for a brahmin to make the marriage work. that more and more brahmins are making the adjustment is reflective of the effort that they are taking for greater integration.

i have a sneaky feeling that you are unwilling to admit this. perhaps in your inimitable style and given your pedagogic background, you are willing to say that the "brahmin has not failed" instead of saying that "he has passed". :)

of course to me, both mean the same.

pnj : Come on Hari, which planet are you living in? Most brahmins I have come across think of themselves as gift to humanity from the heavens. They think they are the smartest people in India. They think their culture is more refined. When Jamadagnya poured some of his filth there were many here openly congratulating him for saying things that perhaps they felt shy to admit in the open.

i liked the response of anandb ji to this point but i dont want to take refuge under his formidable defence.

is it not possible, proj ji, that you may have unwittingly picked a very bad sample ?

i have a muslim colleague who thinks quite like the brahmins you have come across, so what's your take on the muslim community ?

will you be critical of the christian community because of the christian proselytizer who was masquerading in this forum ?

and if you thought that this mindset is only unique to brahmins, you cant be more wrong.

i know of a community (forgot the name) who go thru the ritual of making a baby pick one among pen, doll & knife. if the baby picks up the knife, they had such immense sense of pride almost feeling several inches taller. their community prided on their "valour".

i expect you to substantiate why you believe that only brahmins have the superiority complex ?

jamadagnya et all are outliers and i hope you are not basing your argument only on this member.

pnj : How many here are ready to condemn Manu dharmshasthras as a vile document? The best we can expect is a push back with, "nobody cares about Manu anymore" or some equivalent of that. But open and unequivocal condemnation will come only from a few.

i would even go one step further and say that the manu document can even be declared illegal.

i am of the view that you are doing a grave injustice to your wealth of knowledge when you dont acknowledge the loosely coupled structure of hinduism.

here's my take on the 3 major religions :

hinduism : akin to a indian railway station...no one bothers who comes in and who goes out ; you can travel with ticket or without ticket ; you can sit, squat, sleep, hang in the train. there are different classes of compartments but no one is precluded from travelling in a particular class if he had the valid ticket (in some cases even if not). disorder is the only known order.

christianity : corporate. junior mgr reports to senior mgr who reports to a general mgr who in turn reports to a vice president. whatever they do there's an order including proselytization.

islam : akin to an army. if you are in it, you better follow it's rules. if you desert, you are court martialled.

in the absence of a clear "system", i wonder who has the authority to provide and who's to accept the condemnation.

i wonder why you refuse to acknowledge that we are no longer living our lives based on manu shastras ? isnt that a proof of the fact that manu is no longer relevant.

actually by harping on manu and the condemnation / apology theories, we are trying to regurgitate an irrelevant past.

pnj :What is different now from about 30/40 years ago is Brahmins no longer express these prejudices in the open. They have all sorts of social interaction, but only as individuals from different "tribes", in other words, coexistence without losing separateness. Even now, in the year 2009, this has not changed in Chennai. There is no time or appetite to practice open casteism in the cities. That is not an indication of absence of casteist feelings or absence of caste exclusive behavior in their lives. Caste based congregations, perhaps by self selection, do continue. Caste based solidarity continues, as evidenced by the objectives of this forum, charities that are promoted to serve only brahmins, and the caste-exclusive swayamvarams.

brahmins have stopped expressing "anything" openly. the present govt of tn openly & proudly proclaimed that there are only 2 brahmin members of house in the tn legislative assembly ? how do you view this ? isnt this exclusivist propaganda ?

caste based congregations / self-help groups are not unique only to brahmins. you know this as much as anyone, so why pick only on the brahmins ?

pnj : I have a feeling you live in a more cosmopolitan North Indian city, so your experience may be somewhat different. However, even in one of the most cosmopolitan of cities, Mumbai, I could sense this. But then, I only visited Chembur there, which I know is not representative of entire Mumbai, but is certainly representative of TBs in Mumbai.

again, i guess you selected a wrong sample. also please elaborate on what you 'sensed'. it is not very evident from your words but i guess you must have run into some outlier.

pnj : I don't follow this. Perhaps my use of the phrase "fashioning the lives" is incorrect. What I am saying is caste feeling is ever present, it may not get expressed in the same way as in the past, but does play a big role in how brahmins interact with everyone else, as do others as well, but I am talking about brahmins here.

i dont agree with you. brahmins do not put caste before themselves when dealing with others in the society. and if they did, they would have been booted out of the society.

actually it is like this : suppose a brahmin boss has to evaluate a nb and genuinely rates him to be poor, casteist aspersions are levied on the brahmin.

if hindu dares to criticise karunanidhi, irrespective of the fact that they have family ties, the first epithet that is thrown at n ram would be that he is a paarpaan.

by constantly reminding him of his caste, the obc political parties are infact reducing the social space for the brahmin and cornering him into a point where he shuns any social participation. that is the reality today in tamil nadu.

pnj : You seem to harbor some visceral loathing for dravidian politicians. .

i take immense pride that i am born hater of dravidian politicians. as mark twain said & i quote : “I know that I am prejudiced on this matter, but I would be ashamed of myself if I were not.”

pnj : It is about (i) the common people, and (ii) the brahmins themselves. This symbolism will be lot different from Gandhi's picture in currency. That is why the later has already happened, and the former will happen when the figurative hell freezes over

yes precisely that's what i am unsuccessfully trying to tell you. sir, i am not trying for a blanket exoneration for all that happened before nor am i claiming that all brahmins are faultless. neither is this about grandstanding.

the common brahmin, i argue, is as casteist or as non-casteist as any other person of other caste. no more, no less.

so please dont place a higher responsibility "only" on the brahmin to repudiate caste.

it was asked of him ; some of them did ; but caste is well, alive and kicking.

(to be contd)

if hindu dares to criticise karunanidhi, irrespective of the fact that they have family ties, the first epithet that is thrown at n ram would be that he is a paarpaan.

Yes, yes, this is indeed true, Ram being a communist not withstanding

i take immense pride that i am born hater of dravidian politicians. as mark twain said & i quote : “I know that I am prejudiced on this matter, but I would be ashamed of myself if I were not.”
:madgrin::madgrin::madgrin:

(to be contd)
I will wait for this before posting my response, even when we disagree, on the periphery I think, you make me smile and laugh. Thank you Hari...

re

Dear Nara & Raghy,

For whatever it is worth,let me pen my thoughts.Please dont take things personal,and become emotional.

Dear Raghy, may be it is a sign of age, or the lessons learned from children, when it comes to reacting to getting called names, I am a veritable எருமை மாடு. These things do not bother me. But this morning when I saw the above nugget I felt bad for you. I feel proud to count you as my brother, but bringing in caste identity as the reason for our mutual respect and affection is unpardonable. (Note to Hari -- see caste feelings are not dead, urban India is not caste agnostic.)

The fact,that you even react to a innocent writing shows how deeply one is embedded in brahmin consciousness,otherwise one would not hang around http://www.tamilbrahmin.com .When one is in denial about his/her roots,it amounts to be in a state of uncertainty.When people mingle in societies say judea-christian society,such outwardly notional changes creeps in.But the root is forever Tambrahm.Once a Tambrahm always a Tambrahm.

But, there was another surprise this morning, a friendly and polite message from a moderator to "stick with constructive exchange of views and not to make any personal comments." to all three, the one who called the names, the one who stood up to him, and the one who was just a bystander minding his own business, even though it was his name being discussed.

I don't think so.You clearly replied to 'please mind your business sentence' when i wrote in another another.You cannot have double standards.I applaud the moderator for intervening.

I like this forum very much, I have made great friends. It is absolutely the best when it comes to free and yet civil exchange of views. So, I don't want to get on the bad side of the moderators and get banned. But, it is disconcerting to see discrimination being abandoned when it is required.

Cheers!

If views are disagreeable,lets agree on it lke gentlemen.As far banning is concerned,its the will and pleasure of the moderator.Personally i oppose banning a person,to me,thats very much like the Islamics do,like a fatwa.Ban the the particular post and inform the poster about it.By banning people,less participation amongst us will take place,and views will never get exchanged.Which in my opinion,is a sad management practice.

nachi naga.

Shri. Nara,

Firstly, thanks for your reply as always.

Dear Anand, Greetings!

I welcome your participation Anand, I am glad to respond to any serious comments.

I agree, a feeling of superiority does not amount to discrimination, but the feeling of superiority on one's caste is the seed from which grows the ugly tree of domination. Brahmins as a community, have traditionally viewed physical labor not only with disgust, but considered some physical labor like farming and cleaning as downright polluting and labeled those engaging in such labor untouchable. One wouldn't find a brahmin plumber or electrician, not because of any caste based predisposition to suck at these occupations, but because they all had the economic and cultural advantages to become accountants, engineers, and doctors, none of which are traditional TB occupations either. May be my family was unique in looking down upon blue-collar occupations, but I doubt it.

If you are blaming only Brahmins for the plight of plumbers and electricians then you should also blame, let's say the Chettiars for being businessmen or the Nadars who ran most of the Mom and Pop store kind of shops. In fact none of these communities are to be blamed. You should be blaming the government for the plight of these people. It is a fact that the city bred brahmins were not a economically well off community about 40 to 60 years back. The people who made it to being accountants or doctors still had to slog hard to do it.

Poor guy that Manu, isn't?!!

This just proves my point I was making with Hari. Whatever the case may be, brahmins can't bring themselves to reject Manu.

My point is when you ignore something as a Manu, it is as good as rejection. Naraji, by constantly digging up Manu you seem to want to keep the flame alive.

Hari thought caste did not play a part in the lives of people living in cities. But the community, an euphemism for caste, based charities, etc. goes to show that is not so. Caste may be obvious in villages and small towns, but it is not absent or inconsequential in big cities. It still pays a major role in the daily lives of people.

BTW, I find it interesting that those who oppose caste based reservation find nothing wrong with caste motivated charities and social work.

The caste-based solidarity, identity and pride is a problem, for which each individual must do some honest introspection, and not look for how much can we blame others for it.

You are looking for a egalitarian, Utopian kind of society which is absolutely not possible anywhere. Even in Christianity or Islam there are a huge number of sects and communities. To their fortune they have not been tainted with the name of "caste". Community or sectarian based development programmes or charities is quite common in any society. I don't know why it should attract so much attention if a wealthy brahmin tries to get a poor brahmin married or educated. He feels he needs to do something for his community and what is wrong with that notion? By doing this is he depriving some other caste? Suppose if all wealthy people do take care of the downtrodden within their own castes first, I absolutely see no harm in that. As long as these people are treating everyone with dignity and respect irrespective of caste, where is the discrimination?

If this is the case, you have understood karma and rebirth wrongly. Karma and rebirth also talks about exercise of a free will which can overcome one's prarbtha karma and affect the Kriyamana karma you are creating presently. It is not that karma or rebirth has doomed people to a hell in eternity. A lot of people have understood this, exercised their free will and risen. Those who have not would still blame the brahmins, Manu and all.

if your concern is to preserve the culture of the people of India, then, I submit to you, it is not an existential threat, it is a lost cause. The whole world is slowly but steadily becoming Americanized. Brahmin youth are at the vanguard of this trend. It is probably the "OBC goons" who keep these Hindu cultural traditions alive. Isn't BJP, the guardians of Hindutva, an OBC party?

I beg to differ. I believe life is cyclical and not linear. American popular culture do have this immediate attraction but its long term sustainability is questionable. As the Acharya says, a spark is still enough to start a fire. So I agree that Brahmins are increasingly becoming degenerate brahmanas, but as the lure of this materialistic, popular culture wears down humanity has to look back to its roots. I think it is already taking place. My point is we still need to be vigilant against threats to native culture.

Anand, I read the chapter you cited from K.S.Lal's book. K.S. Lal was RSS spokesman and a historian with an agenda. His books came under a lot of criticisms. Even so, I don't think Lal's words give you the kind of support you can feel good about. Here is a small quote from the chapter you cited.
"Caste-system was bad, but it had two redeeming features. One was that since the low classes were ‘distinguished only by their occupations’ and they intermarried, there was occupational and vocational mobility and also perhaps some sort of social Sanskritization. Another is that it had (and has) an hierchical structure, and even low caste people feel proud of being superior to some other lower castes."
First, note that Lal thinks caste-system is bad. Second, he thinks it has only two redeeming features, and they are, (i) low castes inter-marry, and (ii) everyone gets to feel proud and superior to those lower than themselves. Lal doesn't say anything about those who are at the bottom.

Here is another one:
"There was also a sense of pride in belonging to one?s caste whether high or low. However, for any error caste did not fail to punish, and sometimes even ostracized the delinquent whether or not the act of omission or commission was due to his own fault."
Perhaps this was how wayward members of caste are kept in line by the elders. But when you are at the bottom of totem, the only way to keep them from leaving is through threat of violence from the "OBC goons" whose handy work just might warm the hearts of the keepers of the ancient religion and tradition.

My point is, how the caste system as a whole helped to check the Islamisation or Christianisation of the country by giving a sense of identity to the members of the caste. What the OBC goons do reflect their mental state and is not a reflection of the entire system. The system served well during those times and is dying a natural death due to education and eradication of poverty. I am not arguing for keeping the system alive but what I am arguing about is just blaming the Brahmins, varna, karma and so on without any basis.

This is getting somewhat unwieldy with too many points ranging from brahmin snobbishness to cultural identity of Hindus. We lose focus when this happens. Anyway, the general thrust of what I would like to say can be summarized as given below.

• brahmins bear a large responsibility for the varna/caste system
    Disagree. Everyone is equally responsible for keeping it alive
  • OBC being culpable does not diminish brahmin's responsibility
    Everyone is equally responsible to end discrimination
  • it is impractical to expect any major changes from the leaders, both in the political realm and religious realm
    Agree
  • however, we as individuals can alter our own outlook
    Agree
  • brahmins must make caste as unimportant as possible in their own daily lives
    This needs elaboration. What are the symbols we are talking about here?
  • stop blaming others, like govt., politicians, et al for caste
    How can we when they are more responsible than the castes themselves for perpetuating discrimination. In my opinion blaming may not help the cause but at least helps to keep the issue alive.
  • conversion is not a threat as it is made out to be, but this kind of does not seem to belong here -- can be discussed in a separate thread if anyone cares to answer Pinto in a serious manner.
    My opinion is conversion is a threat but agree it needs to be discussed separately

my answers in red above.

Dear Anand, greetings,

If you are blaming only Brahmins

No Anand, I have said this many many times, I am not blaming Brahmins ONLY, and I would go so far as to say, I am not blaming Brahmins at all. My position is, Brahmins provided the intellectual justification through their karma-rebirth-varna theories, that made social and economic oppression morally acceptable. Further, they benefited from such oppression. Since they sit at the top of the caste pyramid they have a greater responsibility than all others to reject it on an intellectual plane. I also know that this is not going to happen at the institutional level.

For these reasons, I would like to encourage individuals to reject caste/varna in their personal lives. I think this logic stands on its own irrespective of the culpability of others. Everyone must do it, sure, OBC must do it, BC must do it, MBC must do it, but let us not wait for others to begin the first step.

Some more clarification -- I am not under any illusion that an egalitarian society is not Utopian. I think it is probably very hard to even define what an egalitarian society will look like in practical terms. But, I think equality is a principle we can and must value. In this respect, I think caste-based charity is very narrow and does not promote true human values. Help the poor, that is a good thing, but when you want help poor in your own caste, why am I not allowed to cite this as an example to Hari that urban brahmins are hardly caste-agnostic?

BTW, downtrodden are the ones who are trampled on, oppressed, subjugated, tyrannized over. Poor Brahmins who make their living lifting dead bodies, entertained for Saundigaranam, accept oil with steel as gift during death ceremonies, do just cleaning jobs after other brahmins take food, and accept gifts from other communities/castes, may be looked down upon and treated as unequal within their own caste, but they hardly meet the definition of downtrodden. Language as a medium of communication is predicated upon a broad consensus in the way words are used and understood. Individuals do not have the liberty to use it anyway they want.

If this is the case, you have understood karma and rebirth wrongly.
Well Anand, may be we can debate this on a separate thread. I am not well read or a scholar, but from what I have learned from my teachers I think I can stand my own when it comes karma and rebirth.

Cheers!

re

Poison bearing insects will be at home only in dark, dirty places. No snake or scorpion or any other poisonous insect will enter a room that is kept scrupulously clean. So too, the sacred wisdom cannot enter hearts which are dark and dirty. Instead, poisonous breeds like anger will find these hearts as congenial resorts. The sublime significance of Vidya or Higher Learning can be grasped by one, when the mind is pure. It can be communicated to one only when the pure mind sheds its revealing light.

-Divine Discourse, Vidya Vahini.Sai Baba.

A Satire Duel :

Today,Dravidians provide the intellectual justification through their non-karma-rebirth-varna theories, that has made social and economic oppression morally acceptable. Further, they have benefited from such oppression. Since they sit at the top of the non-caste pyramid they have a greater responsibility than all others to reject it on an intellectual plane.

Help the poor within your community, that is a good thing, caste brahmin provides an identity,just like Indian provides a nationality.Caucasian provides the white people as an identitity as a race.

Today,brahmins are downtrodden in a majority way and are the ones who are trampled on, oppressed, subjugated, tyrannized over by dravidians.A fraction of minority brahmins are extremely successful,wealthy and do charity within the community,just like gujaratis,marwaris etc.And some wealthy brahmins living abroad,once they become wealthy they start hobnobbing with other rich community or become agnostic or become pontificators as to how to lead life shunning caste identity but identify with race in their adopted countries?Which is a sad story of successful Tamizh brahmins who are no longer Indian citizens,but think it's some god given right to write against sastras,sampradayas of India.Some nerve.

nachi naga.

Dear Hari Grretings!

I must really thank you and Anand for giving me the opportunity to delve into the recent history of brahmin ascendancy during British colonial Tamilnadu. Neither brahmins nor the upper caste NBs come out smelling good. There is a quite a lot of scholarship available in the literature, but unfortunately, much of it is available only in only in subscription databases accessible only to academics like me. I refer you to particularly incisive analasys Pamela G. Price,
"Ideology and Ethnicity under British Imperial Rule: 'Brahmans', Lawyers and Kin-Caste Rules in Madras Presidency," Modern Asian Studies, Vol. 23, No. 1 (1989), pp. 151-177
...even from a "organizational hierarchy" both ss and dmk are very similar....2 grand old men each having 2 hier apparents who dont see eye to eye. cant get any closer than this.

The similarities you cite between Shiv Sena and DMK is not unique to these parties alone, look at Indira Gandhi's congress. Not only that, even in the veritable city on a hill, the family connection and getting elected to the US congress is very high. I can cite some studies to support his if you want.

Leaving this aside, the non-Tamils have never been made to feel unwelcome in Tamilnadu, you have to give them that.

i was only trying to buttress my point that brahmins are at the pole position as far as the social engineering is concerned. because there's so much which is not common between brahmins and say a dalit in terms of 'practices' there's a need for greater adjustment for a brahmin to make the marriage work.
This may have been true during the hoary days of ram rajya, but Lord Ram did not condone such practices at all in the name of Dharma for he is Dharmo Vighrahavan.

Today, the inter-caste marriages take place between girls and boys of common interests and culture. It is not as though a toilet cleaning dalit is getting married to an Ahmadabad MBA. I don't think Savita had to make a whole lot of adjustment with Bhimrao for their marriage to work.

.. have a sneaky feeling that you are unwilling to admit this. perhaps in your inimitable style and given your pedagogic background, you are willing to say that the "brahmin has not failed" instead of saying that "he has passed".
Here is an example when you make me smile. We are probably splitting hair with this, but what the heck, let us do it, it is fun. You know when a brahmin passes in this sense, he/she is no longer brahmin, the triumph is for humanity because the brahmin orthodoxy will condemn it.

is it not possible, proj ji, that you may have unwittingly picked a very bad sample ?
Jamadagnya may be an outlier, I don't doubt that, but I was only talking about the resonance he got here in this forum.

I condemn supremacist feelings wherever they lurk. I know that upper caste Christian converts treat dalit converts badly. I refer you to a somewhat autobiographical novel called karukku by a dalit novelist Bama for a particularly poignant account of this. Same with the Muslim Umma, for all their brotherhood, some are more equal than others. But, all of this do not take away our responsibility.

hinduism : akin to a indian railway station...no one bothers who
You have done it again, your razor-sharp analogy and wit makes me smile with agreement. Yes, indeed there is no unitary structure among Hindus. But this is the case with Protestants in general and Muslims as well - no central authority.

actually by harping on manu and the condemnation / apology theories, we are trying to regurgitate an irrelevant past.
Yes, most Brahmins don't think of Manu in their daily lives. it is as relevant to their lives as the fleas on a street dog. But, for a dalit slowly coming out of centuries of illiteracy, becoming cognizant of the oppression their forefathers suffered for countless generations, Manu stands as the symbol of their suffering and Brahmins the defender of that system. It is unfair to ask them to appreciate the finer differences between the urban brahmin who wants to celebrate their brahmin culture without the burden of its ugly aspects and the orthodoxy for whom there is nothing ugly in it.

....caste based congregations / self-help groups are not unique only to brahmins. you know this as much as anyone, so why pick only on the brahmins ?
I gave this only as an example for the fact that caste still rules, even in cities. Further, the fact that they all do it is hardly a reasonable justification for Brahmins to do it as well.

again, i guess you selected a wrong sample. also please elaborate on what you 'sensed'. it is not very evident from your words but i guess you must have run into some outlier.
Yes I recognize this. This is why I made this statement with the caveat that it is not a reflection of Mumbai in general.

For what it is worth let me cite a few examples from my personal experience.

In 2005, I attended a major Sri vaishnava function in Bangalore. At that time I was particularly proud of the inclusive philosophy of Sri Vaishnavam. After the function was over and as we were driving back to Chennai, I asked the driver whether he received prasadam. He said, "No sir, they asked all the "shudras" to stand separately, so I came away."

Just a few weeks before this, in Sriperimbuthur, a lady was stopped from joining the congregation to partake in the midday meal. She was accused of not being a brahmin. She pleaded that she was one.

Several years earlier to this, in Sri Rangam, after food when my dad and I were about to wash our hands in a hand-pump water faucet, an orthodox young man admonished us saying, கண்டவன் தொடர பம்பப் போய் நீங்க ஏன் தொடரேள், and offered water from his சொம்பு.

These are my first hand experiences. With little effort I can come up with many more such instances.

So, are my observations outliers? May be, if you look at cosmopolitan cities, but for an average person, it is just par I think.

Caste, discrimination, role of brahmins is not a black and white clear cut issue. My wish is for each brahmin to think about this issue honestly and face up to our responsibility, whatever it may be.

Hari, we can talk more if you have the time and the inclination. I leave it up to you. But I did enjoy your wit and hope to see more of it.

Cheers!

When we talk about, Brahmin lawyers, it is purely the demand at that time which made brahmins to take up legal profession. Nowadays, very few brahmins take up legal profession.

The first Indian to occupy the judge post at Madras High Court is Tiruvarur Muthusamy Iyer. Only British were holding the post earlier. Muthusamy Iyers statue is their at the center of Madras High Court.

If we go back to Muthusamy Iyer's back ground, he was one of the poorest of the poor brahmins those days. My grand mother belonged to the same village of sri Iyer and she use to tell me that he use to study in street lights. He was totally a self made man.

Brahmins always moved first to any new emerging profession. Once legal, medical, civil service were cornered by brahmins.

During early seventies most of our community members took up banking, accountancy and secretarial professions because reservation to engineering and medical colleges was tightened.

In the nineties, people started taking up Software, BPO and call center jobs.

One common thing in all the above is brahmins had the early mover advantage. But blaming them for such vision should not be criticised.

All the best

Last edited:
When we talk about, Brahmin lawyers,

The title of the article has a comma right after 'brahmans'. The article talks about both TB and NB lawyers, and the relationship between TB lawyers and land owining rich upper caste NB. The article is an academic one without any hidden political agenda.

Brahmins always moved first to any new emerging profession. Once legal, medical, civil service were cornered by brahmins.
This is what is called cultural capital. This means even poor brahmins had access to education, had the opportunity to find patronage, can easily find powerful mentors, and succeed.

All of these were simply unavailable to all the caste for whom education and scholarship were denied either directly, as for dalits, or unavailable in a practical sense due to restricted occupations based on caste -- a dhobi is encouraged to be a dhobi, an ambattan encouraged to be an ambhattan. These people were encouraged to pursue their caste profession and discouraged to pursue scholarship.

When a few overcame all these obstacles and achieved scholastic success, they ended up in a system dominated by brahmins, unable to find mentors under whose wings they can thrive and succeed. This is one of the reasons for the formation of Justice Party. None of the founders of this party were OBC goons, but rich and powerful upper-caste NBs. For whatever reason, they managed to outfox the Brahmins by creating a divide that put Brahmins on one side and all the rest of the society on the other -- on their side called NB.

The TBs could have promoted a movement that divided the society between privileged and unprivileged, which would have drawn the dividng line differently, but they lost this battle long before any of us were even born.

Cheers!

a dhobi is encouraged to be a dhobi, an ambattan encouraged to be an ambhattan. These people were encouraged to pursue their caste profession and discouraged to pursue scholarship.

These are livelihoods of people,nothing demeaning about the job that they do.We encourage 'arasiyal vadi' too to become or make his/her children 'arasiyal vadi' a high paying job!Constantly picking on Tambrahms is like,poking one's eyes and becoming blind.Sitting far far away from the mileu of life here,at best one Nara,can be described as 'arm chair critique' which adds no value addition to existance of us Tambrahms,imho.

nachi naga.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back