• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Doing Nithya Anushtanam

Status
Not open for further replies.
Doing Nithya Anushtanam

Parayanam.jpg

Please enlighten me the reason for closing the eyes and covering the Fingers with a Vasthram?

Picture source
Anbuselvan,FB

Rarely PIO settled in the U S of A does nithya anushtAnam. Is it just curiosity, P J Sir?

OK! I will try to answer the first Q. Closing the eyes should be to avoid distractions by seeing 'something'. :spy:

Anyway, nice to see the unity of these kids - I mean horizontal and vertical!! :thumb:

Raji Madam

You are right Raji Madam,

I have my own Nithya Anustanam.. but not like this!!!

Romba Easy part you answered!!

Closing eyes might open if they hear SALANGAI OLI!!!

So they should close their ears too!!

Seeing the picture , i was wondering , why they are covering their Counting fingers from others view?

There must be some reason which everyone may not know..

Two of my dear ones have taken 'Japam' from a SasthrigaL.

They also cover their fingers with their 'saree pallu', while doing Japam. :)

I have no personal knowledge of this, but googling I found this.
Hindu Way of Life

7. A rosary is a whip to goad the mind towards God. Use a rudraksha or tulsi mala of 108 beads. Do not allow the mala to hang below the navel. Keep the hand near the heart or the nose. The mala must not be visible to you or to others. Cover it with a towel or handkerchief, which must be clean and washed daily. Use the middle finger and the thumb of the right to roll the beads. The use of the index finger is prohibited.Do not cross the meru while rolling the beads. Turn back when you come to it.

During balancing mudras, we need to focus our eye on something that does not move. I guess movement attracts our eyes and can distract the brain.

prasadji

Thanks for your additional info; none of them are wearing any Rosary/ or Mala of any type hanging over their body.
They must be counting the number of Japam using their fingers, but what is the significance of that is my curiosity.

prasadji

Thanks for your additional info; none of them are wearing any Rosary/ or Mala of any type hanging over their body.
They must be counting the number of Japam using their fingers, but what is the significance of that is my curiosity.

Just the movement of fingers or beads may distract others. So you sit still and reduce all movements, close your eyes, all basically to focus your mind.

PJ sir,

I remembered to have read that we should have our eyes half closed (if eyes are open, one might be "distracted" and if the eyes are fully closed, one might "doze off" :eek:hwell:) while doing nitya anushtaanam. I also follow this habit of covering with the vastram since it was mentioned in the book - don't know why - curious to know.

Btw, you satisfy my desire to log into TB. GD forum could exhaust me easily.

Last edited:
Probably Sri gopalan Sir, or sri sangom Sir can give explanations from scriptures.

I am waiting for their replies.

While surfing the net, I came across this page, in Tamil. (Prasad Sir, excuse!!) Enjoy reading....
Posting the link here because the story starts with the search for an old 'panchapAthram'! :fish2:

AkamPakamKonjam

Raji Madam

Very interesting story, i really enjoyed reading it, thanks!!

Still I am not getting the answer for my query!!

If i did not find the correct answer within another 30 days, I will have lose THE GENE which i found in my Pooja Room..

More about it later..

He he he..

Shri PJ Sir,

During Sandyavandanam, while doing Gayathri Japam, the method prescribed is to close one's eyes and cover the fingers with uttareeyam(the upper garment). Closing of eyes is for meditating on the Mantra while doing Japam. It's said that asuraas take away the the "Japa phalam" if the hands are not covered.

Regards,

Sri/samarapungavan Sir

Thanks for your reply, can you please give me the relevant portion where it is prescribed that while doing Japam, one should close the eyes and meditate and hands are to be closed to prevent Asuras taking away the japa Palan

This is just to answer my Grandson's query.

Regards

Have a Nice day !

Last edited:
Dear Sir/Madam,

Pranams to all elders and members of this forum.
I am surfing the pages of TB.com whenever I get time.
When I saw above pics I was really moved by our Santana Dharma and its Aachrams.
I was seeing people asking the questions about why to close the hand while performing Japas?
As told by samarapungavan Sir, One can read Devi Bhagavatham 26th chapter for relevant details. It contains all the aspects of doing Gayatri Japam. I believe the whole chapter is devoted to Supreme Gayatri Maa. This is what my Guruji told me.
Also you can download the upanyasams of Sri Sengali Anatarama Deekishdhar reg Sandhyavandanam from
sumukam.wordpress.com, where he teaches us how to perform Gayathri Japam. My guru asked me to join the both hands and cover the with uttareeyam. One palm symbolises Purushan (God) and other palm denotes Prakruthi (Nature). Both should not be seperated. Raavanan seperated and his vamsam got vanquished. Ram and Sita are both Purushan and Prakruti symbolised in Ramayan. This is what mu Gyruji taught me. I am still performing Gayatri Japam like this till now.

Regards,
Vijay.

It's said that asuraas take away the the "Japa phalam" if the hands are not covered.

Regards,

Wow..so similar to Abrahamic Religions..the fear of the Devil.

BTW when we are praying why keep focusing on the Asura stealing our Phalam?

It always amazes me that we keep preaching "I am not the body ..I am the Atma" but yet choose to believe that we have to cover our hands cos Asura will steal the Phalam?

Last edited:
Rarely PIO settled in the U S of A does nithya anushtAnam. Is it just curiosity, P J Sir?

In fact, many tambram kids in the US of A are more Indian than the ones in India. The 3rd and even 4th gen ones (several of my cousins in that list) speak pristine tamil, and follow rituals faithfully. My cousin, a 3rd gen tambram, eats only yogurt rice and 'vadumanga' for lunch, even his white wife has started liking bland tambram food, so does his daughter. The gujarati vaishnavites have established swaminarayan temples everywhere and their kids go for all kinds of hinduism lessons.

Only bad part is, the Siva shrine is hidden in some sad corner in many south indian hindu temples here, since most temples are built by andhra vaishnavites and they'd ideally not even glance at the Siva temple by mistake.

BTW this was said by a member elsewhere in Forum:

Effect of Chanting Mantras and Slokas

shlokas:by chanting shlokas that too loudly, the good vibration you get. the place you live and around is purified. this can be felt by practice and experience. that is why old people in our family used to say "don't use bad words that is apashabtam"

Ok as it is said that chanting of mantras/shlokas etc purifies the place ..so that means anything not so pure can not hang around isn't it?

So what is the Asura doing in the vicinity of the person doing Gayatri Japam waiting to steal the Phalam of uncovered hands?? Does not make sense isnt it?

If the Asura can still steal Phalam from uncovered hands that goes to show that the Gayatri Japam was ineffective or the Asura knows has a mantra that can break the force shield of the Gayatri//so which one is it now?? Is it logic or a superstition that the Asura steals the Phalam?

BTW this was said by a member elsewhere in Forum:

Ok as it is said that chanting of mantras/shlokas etc purifies the place ..so that means anything not so pure can not hang around isn't it?

So what is the Asura doing in the vicinity of the person doing Gayatri Japam waiting to steal the Phalam of uncovered hands?? Does not make sense isnt it?

If the Asura can still steal Phalam from uncovered hands that goes to show that the Gayatri Japam was ineffective or the Asura knows has a mantra that can break the force shield of the Gayatri//so which one is it now?? Is it logic or a superstition that the Asura steals the Phalam?
Even an Asura like Ravana used to do his daily rituals like Gayatri Japam.

Even an Asura like Ravana used to do his daily rituals like Gayatri Japam.

Yes you are 100% right..so that shows its only a superstition that Asura will steal the Phalams of Japa when he is capable of having even the Jnaanaphalam!

Dear Sir/Madam,

Pranams to all elders and members of this forum.
I am surfing the pages of TB.com whenever I get time.
When I saw above pics I was really moved by our Santana Dharma and its Aachrams.
I was seeing people asking the questions about why to close the hand while performing Japas?
As told by samarapungavan Sir, One can read Devi Bhagavatham 26th chapter for relevant details. It contains all the aspects of doing Gayatri Japam. I believe the whole chapter is devoted to Supreme Gayatri Maa. This is what my Guruji told me.
Also you can download the upanyasams of Sri Sengali Anatarama Deekishdhar reg Sandhyavandanam from
sumukam.wordpress.com, where he teaches us how to perform Gayathri Japam. My guru asked me to join the both hands and cover the with uttareeyam. One palm symbolises Purushan (God) and other palm denotes Prakruthi (Nature). Both should not be seperated. Raavanan seperated and his vamsam got vanquished. Ram and Sita are both Purushan and Prakruti symbolised in Ramayan. This is what mu Gyruji taught me. I am still performing Gayatri Japam like this till now.

Regards,
Vijay.

Sri Vijay Sir

Thanks,

Regards

P J

I am sorry to digress from the OP.
Why so much of importance is given to methods, rituals, and exact pronunciations. If you are doing these to get some karma phala, may be I am not into it. Why this scare that if you do not do certain things certain way God will get angry, or your kula will vanish. Why these unnecessary guilt being heaped on us? If I get punished for doing something wrong is so severe, I might as well not do it.

The practices were for conditioning the mind and not for getting 'phalas'. If you get God by doing these rituals why did Krishna not talk about it in Geeta. I am not impressed by Abrahamic religious practices creeping into Hinduism. If Valmiki can attain his enlightenment by chanting MARA-MARA why can I not get the same results by separating my hand, or not covering my hand.
These conditions are imposed by people who want to show their authority, because no body questions them. These useless practices must be challenged and eliminated from our day-to-day life.

Yes you are 100% right..so that shows its only a superstition that Asura will steal the Phalams of Japa when he is capable of having even the Jnaanaphalam!

Asura is not "stealing" the phalam or power. Just as allowing waste water (or even good water) to be around the house in small puddles increases the strenrht (numbers) of disease-causing mosquitos, japa of various mantras done without regard to the rules of dos & donts, is believed to increase the strength of the wrong kind of vibrations/energies. Our elders, possibly, brought in the asura stealing idea so as to make things simple and understandable even for kids.

Asura itself is a debatable term (asu meaning life, and asura as an epithet of Varuna in RV). But later hinduism depicts the asuras as evil-minded.

Vedanta:
While contemporary traditions continued to maintain Vedic ritualism (Śrauta, Mimamsa), Vedanta renounced all ritualism and radically re-interpreted the notion of "Veda" in purely philosophical terms. The association of the three Vedas with the bhūr bhuvaḥ svaḥ mantra is found in the Aitareya Aranyaka: "Bhūḥ is the Rigveda, bhuvaḥ is the Yajurveda, svaḥ is the Samaveda" (1.3.2). The Upanishads reduce the "essence of the Vedas" further, to the syllable Aum (ॐ). Thus, the Katha Upanishad has:

"The goal, which all Vedas declare, which all austerities aim at, and which humans desire when they live a life of continence, I will tell you briefly it is Aum".
Vedānta is also called Uttarā Mīmāṃsā, or the 'latter enquiry' or 'higher enquiry', and is often paired with Purva Mīmāṃsā, the 'former enquiry'. Pūrva Mimamsa, usually simply called Mimamsa, deals with explanations of the fire-sacrifices of the Vedic mantras (in the Samhita portion of the Vedas) and Brahmanas, while Vedanta explicates the esoteric teachings of the Āraṇyakas (the "forest scriptures"), and the Upanishads, composed from the 9th century BCE until modern times.

Dear Sri PJ Sir,

Vaduvur Srinivasa Desikachariar - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
அடியேனுடைய ஆசார்ய்ரான வடுவூர் உ.வே தேசிகாசார்யார் ஸ்வாமி, காயத்ரீ ப்ரபாவம் என்ற ஒரு க்ரந்தம் செய்துள்ளார். அதில் உள்ளதை இங்கே சிலவற்றை கிழே காணலாம்.

வ்யாஸ ஸ்ம்ருதி:
ப்ராதருத்தான பாணிப்யாம் ஸ்தப்தாப்யாம் தினமத்யமே |
அதோமுகாப்யாம் பாணிப்யாம் ஸாயம் ஸ்மலக்ஷிதோ ஜபேத் ||
ப்ராதர் நாஸா ஸமௌ குர்யான் மாத்யாஹ்னே தூரஸா ஸமௌ |
ஸாயங்காலே நாபி ஸமௌ கரௌ குர்யாததன்ரித: ||
அபவித்ர கரோsசுத்த: ப்ரலபன்ன ஜபேத் க்வசித் |
அப்ராவ்ருத கரொவாபி ஸிரஸி ப்ரவ்ருதோபிவா ||

காலை வேளையில் இரு கைகளையும் மூக்கிற்கு ஸமமாகவும், மாத்யாஹ்னத்தில் நடுத்தரமாகவும், ஸாயங்காலத்தில் தொப்புள்ளுக்கு ஸமமாகவும், வைத்துக்கொள்ள வேண்டும். சோம்பல் கூடாது.
கையில் அவஸ்யம் பவித்ரம் தரித்திருக்க வேண்டும். அசுத்தனாக இல்லாமல், ஸ்னானதிகளால் சுத்தனாக இருக்க வேண்டும். பேசக்கூடாது.
கைகளை முடாமல் ஜபம் செய்யக்கூடாது.
தலை துணியினால் சுற்றப்பட்டதாகவும் இருக்ககூடாது.

மேலும் ஸனத்குமார ஸ்ம்ருதியில்,
ஸ்த்ரீ பும்ஸாத்மக காயத்ரீம் வஸ்த்ரேணாச்சாத்ய வை ஜபேத் |

இந்த மந்த்ரம் ஸ்த்ரீ பும்ஸாத்மக தேவதாத்மகமாக விருப்பதால் வஸ்த்ரத்தினால் கையை மூடிக்கொண்டு தான் ஜபம் செய்ய வெண்டும்.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back